PDA

View Full Version : 2/21: CP3 V Deron continued

jimbobjarree
02-21-2009, 03:39 PM
So the Hornets and the Jazz face off tonight so I thought it was another good excuse to kick up the old rivalry. I fully expect a Jazz win tonight, they are at home, they are on a roll and the Hornets are on the second of a back to back without Tyson Chandler...but many will be looking more closely at the point guard match up...

Ok, I agree that CP3 out played Deron in the last encounter, though the Jazz came out on top, but Deron was still feeling the affects of his injury. I havnt seen much of CP3s latest form, but judging from his numbers he is still playing at an MVP level. On the other hand Deron is rolling and in career form the match up could be the best yet!

Oh and heres their recent form....

Deron in February: 28ppg 10.3apg 51.8 FG%
CP3 in February: 20.6ppg 10.4apg 48.8FG%

should be a good one

_Sn1P3r_
02-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I'll be watching this for sure but usually Deron plays well against CP. Hope it's a good one.

VCaintdead17
02-21-2009, 03:53 PM
I think Deron is slightly better than CP3. Paul is just more popular

SJSHARKIES
02-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Chris Paul

Hustla23
02-21-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't get how people say Deron and CP3 are equivalent.

CP3 is clearly alot better than Deron Williams. CP3 was an MVP candidate last year whereas Deron wasn't even in the picture.

Deron is an amazing franchise player but he is clearly the #2 PG in this league.

alexander_37
02-21-2009, 05:39 PM
CP3 > Derron although Derron is REALLY good.

Kakaroach
02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Chris Paul is one of the most popular players in the NBA. Of course people are gonna think he's better but he's not. D. Will is much better.

what54!?
02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
should be a good game

albertc86
02-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either guy. However, D. Williams is the better scorer and shooter.

GoatMilk
02-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Gotta go with those saying Williams is better than Paul.
Almost a no brainer for me. DWill has the intangibles. I love CP, but he's a stat whore

jimbobjarree
02-21-2009, 06:59 PM
wow how things change, alot of love for Deron after his recent form. We'll see how it goes tonight, but I agree with most that CP3 is the more popular for some reason, but I think it is unfair that Deron just gets forgotten about and cast out when he is a phenominal point guard.

gocubs2118
02-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I love me some Deron Williams.

Hustla23
02-21-2009, 07:07 PM
wow how things change, alot of love for Deron after his recent form. We'll see how it goes tonight, but I agree with most that CP3 is the more popular for some reason, but I think it is unfair that Deron just gets forgotten about and cast out when he is a phenominal point guard.

What are you talking about? No one's forgotten about Deron. Everyone knows he's a phenomenal player.

It's just that Chris Paul is a better player than him that Jazz fans can't seem to swallow. :eyebrow:

alexander_37
02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Chris paul turned some average players on his team into stars.
The Jazz have a much better team overall while Paul MAKES his team much better than they really are.

Gene2420
02-21-2009, 07:51 PM
IMHO it's D-Will > CP3

Deron Williams thrives in a systamatic Jerry Sloan offense, and still gets his numbers, while Chris Paul is playing in more of a free lance, run n gun offense. Both are amazing players but I think Deron Williams just slightly takes the cake.

madiaz3
02-21-2009, 07:54 PM
1. CP3
2. D-Will

But the only PG thats proven to be able to shut down #1 is #2 himself, and he often wins all of their match ups.

Kakaroach
02-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Paul gets steals more but D. Will is a better and stronger defender. NOH is just a free system. Jerry Sloan's system does not allow so much go up and just jack shots. Chris Paul is great, but D. Will is better just not as flashy...

nd4T.O.
02-21-2009, 09:28 PM
ill take CP3 over Deron

jimbobjarree
02-21-2009, 09:53 PM
What are you talking about? No one's forgotten about Deron. Everyone knows he's a phenomenal player.

It's just that Chris Paul is a better player than him that Jazz fans can't seem to swallow. :eyebrow:

and what are you talking about? Chris Paul gets all the media attention with people saying that he will go down as the best point guard in history while D Will just gets the odd mention. He is forgotten about just because he plays at a small market team that as a whole is forgotten about, and if you havnt noticed that open your god damn eyes man.

and I dont believe Chris Paul is the better player, Deron is bigger, stronger with a much better jump shot than Paul while as quick and now he's back to full fitness he's looking awesome.

Hustla23
02-21-2009, 10:08 PM
and what are you talking about? Chris Paul gets all the media attention with people saying that he will go down as the best point guard in history while D Will just gets the odd mention. He is forgotten about just because he plays at a small market team that as a whole is forgotten about, and if you havnt noticed that open your god damn eyes man.

and I dont believe Chris Paul is the better player, Deron is bigger, stronger with a much better jump shot than Paul while as quick and now he's back to full fitness he's looking awesome.

lol New Orleans is just as much of a small market as Salt Lake City. Seeing that you live in the grand old UK, I don't think you quite get the sense of that.

And please tell me how Deron is better when Chris Paul beats him in practically every statistical category? Even your claim that Deron is a better shooter when Paul averages a better FG%, 3 pt %, and Free throw percentage?

There's a reason people believe Paul to be the better player.

It's not mere "media ignorance" that homer fans like you like to use. And I mean no offense by the term "homer." I apologize if you take offense to that. But I think it quite accurately describes yourself.

albertc86
02-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Chris paul turned some average players on his team into stars.
The Jazz have a much better team overall while Paul MAKES his team much better than they really are.

Who exactly has he made a star? David West? Dude was displaying flashes of a promising career pre-Chris Paul. Tyson Chandler? He's never been a bum either. He just needed to play alongside a PG like Paul. Peja? Come on now. D. Williams was given a solid team, as well. Both guys are incredible PG's, but I'd still roll with Williams.

Jay22Redd
02-21-2009, 10:29 PM
CP3 > D Dub

RodmansBulls
02-21-2009, 11:23 PM

I watch both point guards play, and honestly how can you tell which one is better, they both play at a high level, and they do so much for there team. there stats are similar but Paul has a little more in the Rebound and steal category, than Deron.

astrosmaniac
02-21-2009, 11:27 PM
CP3 made west into an allstar. CP3 made tyson better. when tyson was traded to OKC people said "well his scoring will take a hit since he wont get those pick and lobs from paul)

Vinny642
02-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Right Now
Hornets-66
Jazz-73

Cp3- 20 pnts 6 assists 4 rebounds
DWill- 13pnts 9 assists 0 rebounds

Vinny642
02-21-2009, 11:54 PM
i think Harpring got 2 techs in the 2nd quarter
Also does anyone got a link to a live stream of this game? Gamecast is annoying

Vinny642
02-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Final Score
Hornets-88
Jazz-102

Cp3- 24 points 7 Assists 5 Rebounds
DWill- 20 Points 13 Assists 2 Rebounds

Kakaroach
02-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Did you see Chris Paul commit a frustration foul towards the end? This makes Deron 10-2 against Paul. The person with the most wins is obviously better.

jimbobjarree
02-22-2009, 12:32 AM
lol New Orleans is just as much of a small market as Salt Lake City. Seeing that you live in the grand old UK, I don't think you quite get the sense of that.

And please tell me how Deron is better when Chris Paul beats him in practically every statistical category? Even your claim that Deron is a better shooter when Paul averages a better FG%, 3 pt %, and Free throw percentage?

There's a reason people believe Paul to be the better player.

It's not mere "media ignorance" that homer fans like you like to use. And I mean no offense by the term "homer." I apologize if you take offense to that. But I think it quite accurately describes yourself.

oh no offense taken, I'd say I was a huge homer for Deron. I know that CP3 is a phenominal point guard and is shading Deron Williams currently over their career, but the way people say he will go down as the best point guard by far and just forget Deron is just frustrating, if CP3 wasnt around they'd be saying the same things about Deron...I just think he deserves a little more love, whereas you think he gets enough which is cool.

and I dont really know much about the size o the market in New Orleans, but come on, the league forgets about us at any opportunity. Nobody really talks about us or bigs us up outside of Charles Barkely, it really does seem like the league and the media sweeps everything we do under the carpet, but maybe thats just me.

and as for the cp3-deron match up tonight, Deron forced CP3 to take a load of tough jump shots, which CP3 impressively made and was red hot...but CP3 just couldnt deliver in the 4th quarter, when Deron returned to seal the game for the Jazz....and now we are level with the 7th seed with the tiebreaker!

Vinny642
02-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Did you see Chris Paul commit a frustration foul towards the end? This makes Deron 10-2 against Paul. The person with the most wins is obviously better.

I wish I seen it, but It wasn't CP3 fault we lost.... David West Peja Pose especially Posey and West didn't do good at all

carter15
02-22-2009, 12:38 AM

that is the most incredibly incorrect statement ive seen in a while.

oddly enough the Jazz commentators said this themselves:
"The Hornets without Paul wudnt be able to survive but the Jazz cud without Williams...they showed they cud already"
its that simple...Pauls team around him is worse then Deron...Deron is great and perhaps with a worse team hed do more..who knows...but right now Paul has to carry that team...he has 1 other scorer on the team and thats West..watching tonights game nobody else can create for themselves.
utah on the other hand have a lot of weapons in okur, milsap, kiralinko, brewer, and boozer when healthy.

jimbobjarree
02-22-2009, 12:39 AM
yeah Paul looked really frustrated tonight with his team mates, coming back from the allstar game where he actually looked like he was enjoying playing basketball for the first time in a while to playing with this bunch of stiffs he didnt look all that happy. The Hornets have nothing outside of CP3, they shouldnt be a threat in the playoffs

Vinny642
02-22-2009, 12:43 AM
oh no offense taken, I'd say I was a huge homer for Deron. I know that CP3 is a phenominal point guard and is shading Deron Williams currently over their career, but the way people say he will go down as the best point guard by far and just forget Deron is just frustrating, if CP3 wasnt around they'd be saying the same things about Deron...I just think he deserves a little more love, whereas you think he gets enough which is cool.

and I dont really know much about the size o the market in New Orleans, but come on, the league forgets about us at any opportunity. Nobody really talks about us or bigs us up outside of Charles Barkely, it really does seem like the league and the media sweeps everything we do under the carpet, but maybe thats just me.

and as for the cp3-deron match up tonight, Deron forced CP3 to take a load of tough jump shots, which CP3 impressively made and was red hot...but CP3 just couldnt deliver in the 4th quarter, when Deron returned to seal the game for the Jazz....and now we are level with the 7th seed with the tiebreaker!

CP3 was tired as hell late that game after the Lakers game... imagine this went into OT dam. D Will and Cp both played great. But ur right Utah is barely talked about but they do get a decent amount of TNT games.
Lakers Celtics Cavs Suns Mavs Heat and Spurs are always on National TV

3lite-Raps
02-22-2009, 12:46 AM
ok its not even close by far paul is better then williams

Kakaroach
02-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Both the Hornets and the Jazz need more national exposure. These are two great teams with the two best PGs' and we barely get to see them on TNT or ESPN.

Vinny642
02-22-2009, 12:48 AM

even though im a hornets fan I admit it is pretty close

carter15
02-22-2009, 12:49 AM

now i can c y deron fans gets pissed off when they read stuff lik this...i think Paul is better...but its definately not by far...deron is a great great player and the #2 PG in my mind
paul and deron r close lik kobe and wade...kobe is obviously better..but wade isnt far behind.

Fans in Asia
02-22-2009, 01:36 AM
To be honest, I think CP3 could shine out more if he is in a better team.

Leafsleeve
02-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Deron Williams is the best pg ing the NBA.

jimbobjarree
02-22-2009, 01:24 PM
now i can c y deron fans gets pissed off when they read stuff lik this...i think Paul is better...but its definately not by far...deron is a great great player and the #2 PG in my mind
paul and deron r close lik kobe and wade...kobe is obviously better..but wade isnt far behind.

exactly

frizbo72
02-22-2009, 01:25 PM
When the game got close D-will was the one that stepped it up and pulled his team away. The greatest was watching Cp3's face when AK swatted him not only once but twice in the 4th. D-will showed he can take over a game like CP3 anytime he wants but giving his team it is not as often as CP3 has to. They are both awesome and love to compete at a high level. Givin last nights numbers though I would say D-will won based on the more points he helped his team get through assists and the the fact that he played better defense. Paul gets more steals but he cheats on the defensive end to get them cause him to average more fouls.

atmcgee
02-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Small market or not, NOLA has gotten A LOT of press over the past few years. Hornets were a great story about bringing the community together post Katrina.

I am a Jazz fan. I enjoy watching the Hornets as well (though I clearly don't "root" for them). Why does it have to be a contest? They are both great players. D Will is much better at running the structured offense the Jazz run than CP. He's bigger stronger and more level headed. CP is better at running a free-style offense the Hornets run. Also, he's quicker and flashier - better made for the ESPN highlights. They are both great.

If I were the GM of the Jazz I would still take D-Will over CP - no contest. He's better at playing Jazz ball. That being said, I wonder how this debate would be right now if the Jazz had taken CP and the Hornets had taken D-Will...

Vinny642
02-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I'd pick Cp3 because he is a better decision maker. He always plays hard. He puts up the numbers. He makes his teammates better. But if I did a fantasy draft and CP3 wasn't there... I'd pick D Will. DWill is stronger and is as clutch as CP3.

jimbobjarree
02-23-2009, 04:15 PM
^I look forward to playing your boys both full strength and both having had a rest before, would be alot more interesting and would be some contest if that was CP3 playing tired on Saturday.

D-Amazins
02-23-2009, 04:21 PM
CP3 made west into an allstar. CP3 made tyson better. when tyson was traded to OKC people said "well his scoring will take a hit since he wont get those pick and lobs from paul)

Please do not take anything away from West. He plays like an AS regardless of the fact. The guy has real talent. Now your second statement was indeed true. But West simply put plays like an AS on his own.

Method28
02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Please do not take anything away from West. He plays like an AS regardless of the fact. The guy has real talent. Now your second statement was indeed true. But West simply put plays like an AS on his own.

As a Hornets fan...West is overrated. All this guy does is pump fake and take jump shots. He DOES have a good shot for a big guy but he doesn't rebound of play defense. He's a black hole! Once Paul passes to him you know he's taking the shot. Whats with the pump faking?!?! He even does it when he's wide open.

Anyways lol CP3 is a better player than D-Will but it is not like comparing Jordan to LaMond Murray. Both are great, CP3 is a better passer, one on one defender, and leader. Will is stronger. Thing about Paul is that he can score whenever he wants, he chooses to get his team involved first.

Squad13
02-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Give me D-will, Cp3 is great but I think Williams will have the longer, and better career. Williams is becoming an absolute beast, if I'm starting a franchise around any pg it would be him.

jimbobjarree
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
As a Hornets fan...West is overrated. All this guy does is pump fake and take jump shots. He DOES have a good shot for a big guy but he doesn't rebound of play defense. He's a black hole! Once Paul passes to him you know he's taking the shot. Whats with the pump faking?!?! He even does it when he's wide open.

Anyways lol CP3 is a better player than D-Will but it is not like comparing Jordan to LaMond Murray. Both are great, CP3 is a better passer, one on one defender, and leader. Will is stronger. Thing about Paul is that he can score whenever he wants, he chooses to get his team involved first.

sounds like the exact same thing Deron does

Method28
02-27-2009, 02:55 PM
sounds like the exact same thing Deron does

yeah they're both great. Its hurts their team sometimes when they give other guys open looks instead of making a running double-teamed tear drop :D