PDA

View Full Version : Is Hasheem thabeet Over-Rated?

Kakaroach
02-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Title says it all. He's supposed to be a Top 5 pick or so. Can he be a force in the NBA or will he be a bust?

thegreatone08
02-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Title says it all. He's supposed to be a Top 5 pick or so. Can he be a force in the NBA or will he be a bust?

He will be another Dikembe Mutombo.

mkool65
02-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Yes he is over-rated. He needs to add a lot of muscle and become more consistant.

metsbulls1025
02-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes he is over-rated. He needs to add a lot of muscle and become more consistant.

For some reason people thinks he is this big time offesnive production guy. Thats not the case. All of his points come from dunks and put backs with a lay up once in a while. If he isn't fed the ball under the basket its not happening. What exactly is he over rated with. He is what he is. A monster on the defensive end that will score on put backs and dunks. When the hell did he become this offensive threat and niw when he doesn't score he is over rated? Its all about defense and whatever he brings on offense is just an added bounes. The reason they lost the Pitt game was because Dyson who is their 2nd best defender was out and Adrian was completely out of his game. Nothing to do with Thabeet. With Dyson's injurya nd Adrians bad game we were missing almost 30 points between the 2 of them.

SidTheKid
02-21-2009, 03:55 PM
He's a beast right now, but I don't see him being all that effective in the NBA.

Rtardz
02-21-2009, 06:08 PM
what a weird name. Who the hell comes up with these names?

cardinals1226
02-21-2009, 06:17 PM
what a weird name. Who the hell comes up with these names?

His parents who are from Tanzania, Africa, where he was born as well. :eyebrow:

To answer the thread, no, he is not overrated. He is a defensive force who is still developing his offensive game. He's only been playing basketball for 6 years and is a legitment 7'0 footer who can rebound the ball exceptionally well and block shots. He has Dikembe Mutombo written all over him. Give him time. He'll develop on the offensive end and could be a monster in the low post.

sdweston757
02-21-2009, 07:04 PM
the term overrated is throw around so much.
What actually is he rated?

He is an oden type player who holds down the lane. What do u want from the dude? U want him to starting hitting 3's? He is what he is and that is an inside beast. Id take him anyday on the college level.

If you are asking about his NBA draft status i do think him being a top 10 pick is a little high

Wake's Fastball
02-21-2009, 07:08 PM
No, he's not, especially in comparison to the hype Oden got, or guys like Hansbrough continue to get.

sdweston757
02-21-2009, 07:10 PM
No, he's not, especially in comparison to the hype Oden got, or guys like Hansbrough continue to get.

agreed. i think he gets a lot of hype and then only scores like 6 points in one game and everyone is like wtf? when he does so much more

NYMetros
02-21-2009, 07:40 PM
On offense, yes, maybe a little bit. He needs to add a lot more muscle because he won't be able to back down guys in the NBA like how he can now. But on defense, he is dominant. Should be a premier shot blocker in the NBA eventually.

Kakaroach
02-21-2009, 08:51 PM
So he's like a Dikembe Mutombo. Strange that a player like Mutombo is going to be the in the Top 5 picked.

cardinals1226
02-21-2009, 08:55 PM
So he's like a Dikembe Mutombo. Strange that a player like Mutombo is going to be the in the Top 5 picked.

He's in the top 5 because of his potential, he averages a double-double per game (13.2 points/10.6 rebounds), is a 7'3 defensive monster, and because the draft class sucks. He's well entitled to a top 5 pick.

ShepzCubbies
02-22-2009, 02:54 AM
Too soon to tell. How much did Yao stink when he first got to the NBA?

Chest Rockwell
02-22-2009, 03:12 AM
I don't think he is at all. I don't know anyone who thinks that he has a more than half decent offensive game. Fact is even if he is purely a defensive C he's still deserving of a top 5 pick. I'm also taking under consideration the fact that you don't come around talented C's too often.

Jimi032890
02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
ive really like thabeet the past two seasons but after seeing him get destroyed by blair id say thabeet's stock has fallen for sure

Padres Son
02-24-2009, 12:20 PM
It depends on what you mean by overrated...

Is his performance for UConn this year overrated? Definitely not, IMO. He is the biggest reason Connecticut is a contender for the national title. As mentioned already, even when he doesn't put up big numbers, his impact cannot by underestimated.

Is he being overrated by NBA scouts? Possibly. I'm not sure how his game will translate to the NBA. He needs to put on more muscle and work on his offensive game. Best case scenario -- he's another Yao Ming... Worst case scenario -- he's another Georghe Muresan.

toronto_JazzFan
02-25-2009, 09:12 PM
nah he will be a force on the defensive end

Kyle916
02-25-2009, 09:14 PM
He'd be overrated if someone expected to take him #1.

DamnGoat
02-26-2009, 03:45 AM
I don't think he's overrated at all.

He's a defensive force, everyone knows that already. But people that have seen him play know his offense is nothing special. He should be able to average double figures in the NBA though just b/c he's 7'3 and athletic for that size.

If he ever learns a few post moves he will be very good, but most people know what they're getting with him. A defensive monster with a raw offensive game.

kvrnm
03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
hes not overrated, he can dominate a game on the defensive end... hansbrough is what you call overrated, not thabeet. thabeet actually has a future in the league.

m26555
03-04-2009, 10:37 PM
the term overrated is throw around so much.
What actually is he rated?

He is an oden type player who holds down the lane. What do u want from the dude? U want him to starting hitting 3's? He is what he is and that is an inside beast. Id take him anyday on the college level.

If you are asking about his NBA draft status i do think him being a top 10 pick is a little high
You have GOT to be kidding me...

You're seriously going to tell me that a 7'3" player with THAT kind of athleticism and THAT kind of defensive ability shouldn't be a top 10 pick? lol...

m26555
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Hahaha...so a defensive force and outstanding rebounder like Mutombo doesn't deserve to be a top five pick?

Some people are so ignorant...

Kakaroach
03-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Hahaha...so a defensive force and outstanding rebounder like Mutombo doesn't deserve to be a top five pick?

Some people are so ignorant... Calm down dude. I just said it was strange that teams would pick a guy like him when you could have a Ricky Rubio or a James Harden. It wasn't a knock on Thabeet...

IndiansFan337
03-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Well, the draft is weak this year...So that is why he'll go in the top 5.

He's having an impressive 1st half vs. Pitt right now. He already has 14 pts.

I think he is sometimes intimidated easily, and can be too passive. That will kill his confidence if he continues to do that in the NBA. Because if he does he'll end up getting buried on a bench somewhere & sulk.

A team like OKC could really use him.

Kakaroach
03-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Thought I'd just bring this up again. Thabeet has had a great tourney so far, with 15 points, 15 boards, and 4 blocks last night. However, I read on ESPN, that his draft stock has fallen. Do any of you think this is true? Will he still be a Top 5 pick?

cardinals1226
03-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Thought I'd just bring this up again. Thabeet has had a great tourney so far, with 15 points, 15 boards, and 4 blocks last night. However, I read on ESPN, that his draft stock has fallen. Do any of you think this is true? Will he still be a Top 5 pick?

I hope it has fallen. I want the Pacers to get him. However, I do not think that's the case. I think he will be gone in the top 5 and if not, he'll be gone by pick 6-7.

Padres Son
03-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah, he won't go deeper than about 6 or 7. Whatever team gets him needs to be patient with his offensive game. The dude never even played basketball until he was 15.

Catfish1314
03-27-2009, 11:11 PM
No he's not. ESPN, Yahoo, SI, all of those sites and networks could be far more glued to his sac than they are. He won't ever be an offensive stud in the NBA, but he'll be a 10+ PPG scorer and a tenacious rebounder/defender for quite a few years.

cardinals1226
03-27-2009, 11:24 PM
No he's not. ESPN, Yahoo, SI, all of those sites and networks could be far more glued to his sac than they are. He won't ever be an offensive stud in the NBA, but he'll be a 10+ PPG scorer and a tenacious rebounder/defender for quite a few years.

He will be a Dikembe Mutombo-type player. He will be a defensive stud who is a great rebounder and blocks shots. I'd rather have a defensive center that can alter players' shots and grab rebounds and puts up 10-15 points per game than a center that puts up 20 points and gets beat by more athletic forwards and centers.

DamnGoat
03-28-2009, 04:56 AM
I find it hard to believe that no team will pull the trigger on him in the top 5 of THIS draft. It's one of the weakest drafts in a long, long time.

Blake Griffin is a stud, but after him there aren't any sure things in this draft.

Thabeet is almost guaranteed to be a defensive force in the NBA and if he can play next to a good post scorer then he could be a DPOY type of C. That's worthy of being a top 5 pick IMO.

Sport
03-28-2009, 07:04 AM
When you're 7'1, people are going to place high expectations on you no matter what. I'd say a little overrated, but alot of people I talk to don't even think he's that good, so I'm partial.

Kakaroach
03-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Earlier this year he had a game with a triple-double with blocks. :speechless: I don't know why the guys at ESPN are being so critical of this guy, he is having a good tourney so far and has a chance to take UCONN to the Final Four tonight.

Kakaroach
04-04-2009, 11:55 PM
NCAA Tourney over for the Huskies. Thabeet played well. Final projections?

zach09
04-29-2009, 01:31 PM
On offense, yes, maybe a little bit. He needs to add a lot more muscle because he won't be able to back down guys in the NBA like how he can now. But on defense, he is dominant. Should be a premier shot blocker in the NBA eventually.

i agree because when he went up aginst blahir of pitt he got his *** kicked so how will he far in the NBA?

Kakaroach
04-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Eh, he is Top 3 at least Top 5 now. Almost everybody says he could be a huge bust though. Guess we will find out. I think he would do well for OKC.

TheGreatDane17
04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
He needs to go to a under-rated team like OKC or Washington imo.

Kakaroach
05-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah, he would be great on OKC. No need to score with Green, Durant, & Westbrook. Just a shot-blocking guy who can rebound. Kinda like Samuel Dalembert or Tyson Chandler, just not as athletic.

Lone Laker
05-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes, with the right team, he should do fine. He can't be expected to shoulder the offensive load for a team, but he can be that team's defensive anchor.

umh34
05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
YESSSSS!!!! hes so overrated....Hes soooo soft and weak...Hes going to get destroyed in the NBA! Greg Oden is nothing, Hasheem Thabeet is going to be nothing! He gets knocked down almost every play. Theres no way hes going to muscle somebody down low defending them. He is going to be bad. If he goes top 5 shame on NBA scouts and someone is getting fired. Just look at Roy Hibert. Hes just as tall and like 40 pounds thicker and he isnt playing. Its hard adjusting to the league on the offensive side but defensive basketball is the same everywhere you go, its all about hustle and hard work. So to see Roy hibert and Greg Oden Or even Emeka Okafor to give a better example since those other two are rookies. I just dont see him doing anything in the L.