PDA

View Full Version : Joey Graham

LD V2.0
02-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Where do you see Joey Graham's career headed after this season?

raptor fan
02-20-2009, 12:12 PM
i see some team overpaying for his services, and then they will realize that he's not that good (eg. mike james). i think he's grown as a player, but the main reason for his success this season was because there wasn't anyone else we could play. He was competing against jamario moon for gods sake!

RatedRSuprStar
02-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Is he in his last year of a contract? RFA, or UFA next year?

If he continues to play well - although I thought he tried to do too much (The Marion effect??) - I can see him getting another contract, anywhere.

He's a big, powerful guy, who can play some defence and a jumper which works most nights. He continues to get more confident, which does make him a little dangerous for a lot of defenders out there.

If he does like Toronto and the Raptors, knows he won't have as much exposure anywhere else, and sees that he still needs more priming before he becomes a starter-level player, we should be able to keep him for cheap next year.

dgilbert
02-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Where do you see Joey Graham's career headed after this season?I'm hoping he's re-signed at a fair value, I've always liked the kid, and since Triano has been coach he's finally starting to realize his potential. That being said I wouldn't want them to break the bank on the guy.

LD V2.0
02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
i see some team overpaying for his services, and then they will realize that he's not that good (eg. mike james). i think he's grown as a player, but the main reason for his success this season was because there wasn't anyone else we could play. He was competing against jamario moon for gods sake!

I don't think that's fair. Although he didn't get much PT last season before that he received more minutes than he's getting now and did nothing. I think a better question would be is this another case of a player typically over performing during a contract year?

Is he in his last year of a contract? RFA, or UFA next year?

Restricted. If they want to hold his rights then the qualifying offer is worth $3.4M. I think they will have to match an offer more than that to keep him.

deaner
02-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I can't help but hear BC's voice when he compared Joey to a bump on the log at the end of the bench... Then continued to say his progression was too late. BC has a way with words but he didn't hold back at all with slamming Joey.

With the summer market shaping up like this... Teams will be dumping salaries left and right. I don't see Joey coming back. He's been playing well... But I think we can turn that money into a proven player this summer. If not... I would not be dissapointed if he came back. Kobe did say some nice things about him. I just don't see him getting the "money".

Bob_at_york
02-20-2009, 12:28 PM
He will get a contract probably around the LLE. We have seen a lot of "Good Joey" lately but we need to remember that we have seen him before.

nads83
02-20-2009, 12:31 PM
id like to have joey back. i like joey. its hard to be consistent with inconsistent minutes

LD V2.0
02-20-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't agree with that. To get minutes you need to earn minutes. Its not like the guy only hits a basketball court in games. They practice all the time and scrimmage too. Real pros bring it when their number is called. Joey has been doing that lately but again it comes back to the Jerome James question, my bad I mean the contract year question.

deaner
02-20-2009, 12:41 PM
We need to remember there is no one one works harder than Joey on this team. I wish it was contagious.

ink
02-20-2009, 01:37 PM
I can't help but hear BC's voice when he compared Joey to a bump on the log at the end of the bench... Then continued to say his progression was too late. BC has a way with words but he didn't hold back at all with slamming Joey.

Can you find the quote anywhere? I'd like to see that.

deaner
02-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Can you find the quote anywhere? I'd like to see that.

sorry ink. I'm just on my iPhone. I'm locked in a girls change room in a catholic a school on an airpack shoot for 9 weeks. (truth) with no service... But I believe it was the fan590 interview that happened last week where I heard it. I think it was a out 3/4 of the way through the interview.

I'll try and find it tonight if someone else can't confirm that's where it was.

ink
02-20-2009, 02:20 PM
sorry ink. I'm just on my iPhone. I'm locked in a girls change room in a catholic a school on an airpack shoot for 9 weeks. (truth) with no service... But I believe it was the fan590 interview that happened last week where I heard it. I think it was a out 3/4 of the way through the interview.

Whoa. Some assignment. Locked in a girls change-room for 9 weeks!

ramz.n
02-20-2009, 02:23 PM

pervert!!!!:p..i hope BC can resign Joey for a cheap price..after all the recession will make teams think twice before giving out big contracts or over paying..this might be the year where we can get players to sign cheaper.

deaner
02-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Whoa. Some assignment. Locked in a girls change-room for 9 weeks!

All in glorious high def.... Problem is it's an abandoned school and I'm the only one in here... I hope you can find it... His statement a shocked me. I believe bob posted the link.. It had it's own BC on the fan thread.

ink
02-20-2009, 02:43 PM
All in glorious high def.... Problem is it's an abandoned school and I'm the only one in here... I hope you can find it... His statement a shocked me. I believe bob posted the link.. It had it's own BC on the fan thread.

Was he criticizing current Joey or was he saying that he has come all the way from the end of the bench?

Bob_at_york
02-20-2009, 02:43 PM

I don't remember the quote but I am assuming you are talking about this link:

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20090218_151014_30348

ink
02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
I like how the interview starts! lol.

Jack: "President and GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs" ...

BC: "Who you workin' for??

:laugh:

JermanJaysFan
02-20-2009, 02:51 PM
...the only mention of Joey is this, right at the end "Who know what happens with free agency next year and Joey Graham..."

More shats!
02-20-2009, 02:55 PM
I like how the interview starts! lol.

Jack: "President and GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs" ...

BC: "Who you workin' for??

:laugh:

BC was not the one that said that it was MacLean.

deaner
02-20-2009, 03:00 PM
...the only mention of Joey is this, right at the end "Who know what happens with free agency next year and Joey Graham..."

i really thought it was that interview though... It was when they were talking about the progression of the team under JT.

Hmmm.. Sorry for the goose chase if it's not there. I'll find it tonight when I get home.

ink
02-20-2009, 03:09 PM
BC was not the one that said that it was MacLean.

Yeah you're right. I just liked the screw up. Funny stuff. BC was a good enough sport about it ...

More shats!
02-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah you're right. I just liked the screw up. Funny stuff. BC was a good enough sport about it ...

It was embarassing and funny at the same time!.:D

Bob_at_york
02-20-2009, 03:18 PM

How about this one instead: http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20090210_201941_57452

hades
02-20-2009, 03:58 PM

with todays economic woes... i dont see a lot of team paying him the midlevel. really.

teams are chopping payroll... its best for him to sign a qualifying offer.

LD V2.0
03-10-2009, 08:57 AM
But when it comes time for Colangelo to pass out contracts this summer, he'll have to weigh the Mitchell era vs. the Triano era

Graham, to his credit, is making the past go away. He has been aggressive, consistent and successful, taking added playing time and responsibility and showing the skills that lay dormant for most of Mitchell's tenure because the former coach had a tendency to bury Graham for the slightest of mistakes.

"When Jay first came in, he sat me down and talked about the mistakes and not having the leeway when Sam was here," said Graham. "That's the first thing he said to us as a team, too, that people are going to make mistakes. Nobody's going to come out and have a perfect game.

In these increasingly difficult economic times, it's a guess as to what kind of money he'd attract on the open market, a fact not lost in him, his agent or the Raptors.
The Star (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/599374)

with todays economic woes... i dont see a lot of team paying him the midlevel. really.

teams are chopping payroll... its best for him to sign a qualifying offer.

With teams trying to cut cap and spend less who's to say now in this newly emerging NBA that he's worth the $3.5M qualifying offer...Even in the old climate I wouldn't be so sure. I'm thinking they let him hit the market and hope for a crash and burn.

RaptorFan89
03-10-2009, 09:33 AM
A little off topic, But what do you think about Marcus Williams?I love the new Joey...I hope BC cant sign him for a good deal for the Raps.

Bob_at_york
03-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Am I the only one who thinks nothing has changed with Joey? He might have gotten a little bit smarter but the coaching change didn't make much of a difference. The only difference is that "Good Joey" showed up for a month or two. He is still prone to turnovers. He still has brainfarts. He is still 26 years old and not a starter. Yes an up-tempo offensive system would benefit him but he is still the same player he was a year ago.

RaptorFan89
03-10-2009, 09:47 AM
True Bob! Joey has inproved his play but not to the level of a starter, and has a few brain farts but alot less this year.

Bob_at_york
03-10-2009, 09:51 AM
A little off topic, But what do you think about Marcus Williams?
I am sorry but that is SO off-topic that I have no idea who you are talking about.

LD V2.0
03-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I think the only way Joey doesn't come back is if Colangelo has to choose between him and Carlos Delfino.

Bob_at_york
03-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I think the only way Joey doesn't come back is if Colangelo has to choose between him and Carlos Delfino.

I would pick Delfino. I think he has more upside and his dribbling skills would be more helpful to our team.

ink
03-10-2009, 10:25 AM
^ I agree.

LD V2.0
03-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I would pick Delfino. I think he has more upside and his dribbling skills would be more helpful to our team.

His defense is better too.

nads83
03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
the only reson i wouldnt re-sign graham is because i think we would have to pay him around 4.5mil right?

Grumpy
03-10-2009, 01:36 PM
He really loves it here in Toronto, that being said I hope he re-signs but I wouldn't be mad if he left. Sam Mitchell totally messed up his mind and made him suffer for a mistake.

Here's a guy who played power foward in College and he was asked to stand out at the 3 point line ( not his game) now that the chains are off he is becoming the old Joey Graham like the one in College

Bricklayer
03-10-2009, 01:53 PM
The qualifying offer is reasonable, but if another team offers more I think Colangelo would be crazy to match. That being said, the way the economy is going in the states I can't imagine another team coming in to swipe Joey from us.