PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Perry

pistons.fan.11
02-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Does Ryan Perry really have a chance to make this year's club out of spring training?

Let's see.
(My opinion)
Pros-
100 MPH Fastball
Simple Delivery
Potential with Secondary Pitches

Cons-
Age (21 years old)
Inexperience

Now let's face it. This kid has a chance to make it big. Real big. But is he Major League ready?
In my opinion, I don't think so. At least not out of Spring Training.
The Tigers should give the kid at least the first half the season with the Hens to hone his skills.

But, in all honesty, I believe that Perry and Porcello both come up in '10, and really make a splash.

JMDTM
02-19-2009, 10:08 PM
agreed. im very excited for him and porcello. porcello has apparently shown alot lately, so ive heard. and im excited for what perry brings to the table to. could you imagine us having Porcello, Verlander, Perry, Bonderman, and Gallaraga in the rotation together! hold on, i have to change my underwear. thats sick. you throw robertson and Willis in the pen, or trade them for some prospects. Either way thats sick.

BTW, i read he is suppose to become a SP again after some experience. i hope thats true, but if not we add a key person to our not so good bullpen

pistons.fan.11
02-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Agreed. 100%.
Think. Barring injuries...
That's basically our 2010 rotation.

On Robertson and Willis though...
I think with Knapp at Pitching Coach, D-Train will have a monster year. Knapp's "Strike first" approach will help Willis dominate, like he did in Florida 3 or so years ago, when he went 22-10, and was Cy Young Runner-Up.

To me, Robertson would be best served for a "Change of scenery".
AKA... The Tigers need to get rid of him. He is just not a quality pitcher.

Now, as I see it...
This year's rotation shapes out to look like this...
Verlander
Bonderman
Galleraga
Jackson
Willis

I do however, think it a possibility that Robertson stays in the 'pen.
I also think, to cover the other pitchers...
Zumaya will return to his '06 form, when he actually threw strikes ans used his nasty curve ball. Not to mention the 102 MPH Fastball.

(If injury strikes, I think they'll probably give Porcello his 1st Major League experience, and see how he does, and get an idea for him for the 2010 season)

Rodney comes back, and settles into a set-up role. And with Knapp now at the helm at Pitching Coach, Rodney mixes in his Slider, and locates his Fastball. His Change will still dominate.

Now for Lyon, I think he'll be just OK at Closer. He'll probably blow anywhere from 5-7 saves I think. But the Tigers' offense this year will atone for any pitching struggles.

In short, I feel as though the Tigers will return to their World Series form, and make another run at it.

JMDTM
02-19-2009, 10:48 PM
agreed. but i do feel, if Inge cant find his spot this year(hitting) we need to find a replacement. i actually feel confident about Larish and Holliman as well as Clete Thomas. Larish and Holliman both struggled at first, but then found there places and managed BA around .260 i wanna say. no bad for rookies. and clete did well in the OF and hit pretty good. he was around .300 there for awhile. in his 2nd season i think he finds his place. im excited for our youth. I want Clete to play LF for us, and let Guillen DH, which is what he is best at. him, sheff, and Thames can switch it up there.

pistons.fan.11
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Again, I agree.
Although I think Guillen will do fine out in LF.
He did play the position earlier in his career I believe. He'll do fine.
But if Inge continues to struggle at the plate, it is time for a replacement.
I think Thames is dealt, and Sheffield DH's for the season.
I think Clete will get ample playing time backing up all 3 OF's.

And I do think that if Inge struggles, Larish takes his spot at 3B. We know he can hit, and we know of his work ethic, there is no reason why he can't be a quality 3B.

It's gonna be a good year. I can feel it. :)

drewstantontime
02-20-2009, 03:39 AM
I agree, Porcello and Perry are the 2nd coming of Verlander and Zumaya. Potential-wise at least

dddtfan
02-20-2009, 03:18 PM
I think Fein will likely get a shot before Perry. I think that Fu-te, McBride or Rapada or Bloom will get a shot at that last spot before either of them because they are left-handed and I'd bet that Leyland would like a 3 lefty 4 righty construct for the bullpen and right now it is likely that 2 of the leftys will be Robertson and Seay...I'll guess that Bloom will get the biggest shot to claim the 7th bullpen spot (4 rightys: Zumaya, Lyon, Rodney, and Miner), because if we DON'T give him a spot on the MLB roster, we have to give him back to Pittsburgh.

Perry may be a mid season call up depending on circumstances, and Porcello, my guess is, he may get called up to start the back half of a makeup double header somewhere mid-season depending on how the season is going for him in the minors.

pistons.fan.11
02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
I agree, Porcello and Perry are the 2nd coming of Verlander and Zumaya. Potential-wise at least
Agreed. Except I think what Porcello and Perry can do may top what Verlander and Zumaya did their rookie season.

Bondomania
02-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Leyland has a 2 Lefty 5 Righty bullpen setup usually. Unless something happens. But i am betting the Lefty that loses out in the rotation battle gets dealt. DD doesn't want a 10 mill. per year middle relief arm.

pistons.fan.11
02-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Leyland has a 2 Lefty 5 Righty bullpen setup usually. Unless something happens. But i am betting the Lefty that loses out in the rotation battle gets dealt. DD doesn't want a 10 mill. per year middle relief arm.
Very True. If you ask me, Robertson gets dealt. He's declining fast, and is no longer useful to the Tigers. Robertson gets dealt before mid-season.

drewstantontime
02-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Agreed. Except I think what Porcello and Perry can do may top what Verlander and Zumaya did their rookie season.

Agreed. Verlander, Porcello, and Bonderman in the same pitching rotation is pretty sick. Im praying that Willis can get himself straight and be a dominant pitcher again. He has the stuff he just needs to remember how to throw.

1.Verlander
2.Bonderman
3.Porcello
4.Jackson
5.Willis

C-Lyon
SU-Zumaya
SU-Rodney
MR-Perry
MR-Seay
MR-Robertson

Bondomania
02-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Another prospect to keep your eyes on is Casey Crosby. He was an early selection from the Porcello draft. He went through Tommy John surgery and is back throwing again. He was first round talent prior to that spring when his velocity dipped and he couldn't control his stuff as well. Anyways, he is back throwing and he is a lefty that runs his fastball up to 96-97, has a nasty curve and a feel for an average changeup. I think he could be our equivalent to Jon Lester in a year or two. He has frontline starter potential.

pistons.fan.11
02-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Another prospect to keep your eyes on is Casey Crosby. He was an early selection from the Porcello draft. He went through Tommy John surgery and is back throwing again. He was first round talent prior to that spring when his velocity dipped and he couldn't control his stuff as well. Anyways, he is back throwing and he is a lefty that runs his fastball up to 96-97, has a nasty curve and a feel for an average changeup. I think he could be our equivalent to Jon Lester in a year or two. He has frontline starter potential.

That's the thing though. Potential. We say that about all these guys.
"He has great potential."
"He has potential to be a perennial all-star." Etc.

It's whether or not these guys can put that potential onto to the field through work ethic.

For me, I'd take work ethic over potential any day.
So let's just hope all these guys... (Iorg, Wells, Ramirez, Porcello, Perry, Crosby, etc.)
Can translate this GREAT potential into on-the-field success.

Bondomania
02-22-2009, 04:13 PM
hard workers are good and all.. but it can only take you so far. I will take potential anyday over hard workers. With good coaching, potential becomes realized. I mean i could go out there everyday take tons of batting practice and work my *** off but i will never be able to do the things that Miguel Cabrera does at the plate.. lol.. Also, having potential nets you a lot more when it comes to trades

JMDTM
02-22-2009, 06:24 PM
id rather have a hard working guy with potential. someone who has some stuff and comes out hard everyday to get better. thats who i want

pistons.fan.11
02-22-2009, 10:19 PM
id rather have a hard working guy with potential. someone who has some stuff and comes out hard everyday to get better. thats who i want

Well yeah. That's what anyone would want. If I can get a hard-working guy that can play, I'd take him any day over a kid who has potential to be GREAT, but isn't worth a **** in terms of work ethic.

Bondomania
02-22-2009, 11:21 PM
yeah.. i hear ya on that.. a lot of guys out there feel that they don't have to work to be great.. i think thats where the interview process is huge prior to drafting people.. so you can really get a feel for the persons personality

pistons.fan.11
02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
yeah.. i hear ya on that.. a lot of guys out there feel that they don't have to work to be great.. i think thats where the interview process is huge prior to drafting people.. so you can really get a feel for the persons personality

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

Lionpride87
03-02-2009, 01:44 AM
I don't think they'll rush perry up to the majors this year unless he dominates the minors but he definitely has a lot of promise

dddtfan
03-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Because he is a little older than your average recent draft pick due to his play (and successful at that) in college, how much "seasoning" does a one inning reliever that throws 100mph with movement really need in the minors. while I don't necessarily feel exactly the same way with Porcello because there is a difference between a starter and 1 inning reliever, If Perry is there in ST and doing it, bring him north.

RicoSteel
03-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Perry: Another scoreless inning today against Panama. Bloom and Porcello pitched good too. Rapada and Lambert were both knocked around. I think all 3 of these guys have a good shot at making the team. We may end up with too many relievers to choose from. That is a great problem to have.

pistons.fan.11
03-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Perry: Another scoreless inning today against Panama. Bloom and Porcello pitched good too. Rapada and Lambert were both knocked around. I think all 3 of these guys have a good shot at making the team. We may end up with too many relievers to choose from. That is a great problem to have.

I stand by my position that Porcello and Perry probably won't start the season in the Majors. But I wouldn't be surprised if an injury strikes, and 1 of them is called up.

I think Bloom makes the Roster out of spring training. It's rare to have a lefty with that kind of heat.

Rapada and Lambert both spend the season with the Hens. Neither are Major League quality as of yet.

drewstantontime
03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Porcello, Perry and Bloom all will be on the roster next year opening day. Prolly not this year, although as Pistons.fan.11 stated above, if some injuries happen I wouldnt be surprised if they got the call up

dddtfan
03-05-2009, 01:02 PM
If Bloom isn't on our roster this year, he goes back to Pittsburgh because he was a rule-5 pick

Bondomania
03-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I think Bloom makes the opening day roster.. however, there are ways around sending him back. If he goes on the DL then we don't have to send him back... it is a strategy teams will use if they are trying to work out a trade to find room for that player.. or we could work out a trade for Bloom if he doesn't make the big league roster..

Bondomania
03-05-2009, 01:29 PM
If Bonderman can't go to start the season though.. maybe Bloom gets a look as a starter just to begin the season.. Verlander and Jackson for sure look ready to go.. Galarraga did well the other day.. but that was against essentially our minor league team..

drewstantontime
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I think Bloom makes the opening day roster.. however, there are ways around sending him back. If he goes on the DL then we don't have to send him back... it is a strategy teams will use if they are trying to work out a trade to find room for that player.. or we could work out a trade for Bloom if he doesn't make the big league roster..

thats right, my bad. Id like to see him mkae the roster

pistons.fan.11
03-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Honestly, I don't think that Bloom gets a look as a starter, at least for this year. The Tigers have WAY too many other options.
But, Bloom definitely makes the roster, no questions asked.

Lionsforlife
03-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Because he is a little older than your average recent draft pick due to his play (and successful at that) in college, how much "seasoning" does a one inning reliever that throws 100mph with movement really need in the minors. while I don't necessarily feel exactly the same way with Porcello because there is a difference between a starter and 1 inning reliever, If Perry is there in ST and doing it, bring him north.

I agree to a point. But I would like to see him get at least more than a couple months in the minors (which is all he's had, if that). I pretty much agree with what everyone else said. I don't see him making opening day roster, but I have a feeling he will get called up this year and get substantial time.

I just have this feeling he will end the year as our closer and if not, begin next year as our closer. It will be nice to have a good closer again, but I definitely don't want to rush him out the gates at the beginning of the year.

dddtfan
03-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Zumaya has looked pretty good so far and my guess is if he is throwing nasty again and not walking people, Zumaya will be the closer and Lyon will be a set up guy that can fill in....IMO

drewstantontime
03-06-2009, 02:32 PM
what about rincon? Hes quietly looking pretty good

dddtfan
03-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Concur- Rincon is so far looking quite good, lot of strikeouts

TIGERS RULE
03-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I don't think they'll rush perry up to the majors this year unless he dominates the minors but he definitely has a lot of promise

Thats true but, he cant do any worse than are bullpen did last year. i still think he should be on the team and will make are bullpen so much better and deeper if he is!!

drewstantontime
03-07-2009, 02:04 PM
they can afford to keep him in AAA for awhile longer, seeing that so far spring traing has alot of bullpen guys looking pretty good.