PDA

View Full Version : No deadline deals, Cartier Martin signed for remainder of season

DerekRE_3
02-19-2009, 08:21 PM
The trade deadline has come and passed and the Bobcats did not make any moves despite some rumors involving Raymond Felton and Gerald Wallace. Do you think the Bobcats made the right decision in not making any trades?

Other news: Cartier Martin has been signed for the rest of the season.
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/02/18/sports/BKN-Bobcats-Martin.php

The Bobcats still have one more roster spot open, and with the deadline passing, they may look to add another guy to get some further depth, especially if the Bobcats get another injury bug.

homestarunner93
02-19-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm glad we went ahead and gave Martin a chance to prove himself the rest of the season. I assume we will pick up a D-Leaguer or a veteran. I'd like to see us try to get someone like P.J. Brown, but I don't think he would come here since he has virtually no chance of winning a ring.

GreatMustachio1
02-20-2009, 03:51 AM
id like to see julius peppers fill that open roster spot.

DerekRE_3
02-20-2009, 03:56 AM
id like to see julius peppers fill that open roster spot.

Well, he did play ball at UNC. But he just got franchised for 16.68 mil, so I bet he sticks with football.

masalex1205
02-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I think that if there was an opportunity to do something to improve this team the FO would have done it. The abundance of moves they have made this season so far is proof enough of that.

However, it could have been predicted that nothing major would have happened as far as moving major pieces i.e. Felton, Wallace. The reason I say this is because of the economy. It is a buyer's market and teams are looking for financial relief and an expiring contract seems to be more valuable than a decent player.

Following this logic we were never going to get enough value for Felton or Wallace so why trade them for expirings? The Bobcats aren't going to attract replacements who are an upgrade or even of equal value in the free agent market so why not stick with what we have? It seems to be working and we just need to give it some time to mesh.

Overall, I like the inaction by the front office. We've got a solid team but there is only so much you can do to improve your team through trades (exception: Celtics but even though only have a window of about 3 years). What we need to do is invest in some scouts so we can start drafting better, that's how you build a team cost efficiently (example: Portland).

GreatMustachio1
02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Well, he did play ball at UNC. But he just got franchised for 16.68 mil, so I bet he sticks with football.

haha yeah i hope he would.

Tblaze
02-20-2009, 02:53 PM
I think that if there was an opportunity to do something to improve this team the FO would have done it. The abundance of moves they have made this season so far is proof enough of that.

However, it could have been predicted that nothing major would have happened as far as moving major pieces i.e. Felton, Wallace. The reason I say this is because of the economy. It is a buyer's market and teams are looking for financial relief and an expiring contract seems to be more valuable than a decent player.

Following this logic we were never going to get enough value for Felton or Wallace so why trade them for expirings? The Bobcats aren't going to attract replacements who are an upgrade or even of equal value in the free agent market so why not stick with what we have? It seems to be working and we just need to give it some time to mesh.

Overall, I like the inaction by the front office. We've got a solid team but there is only so much you can do to improve your team through trades (exception: Celtics but even though only have a window of about 3 years). What we need to do is invest in some scouts so we can start drafting better, that's how you build a team cost efficiently (example: Portland).

You have some valid points there. I think Portland was pushing quite hard to acquire Wallace, and either would include some talent, or take on Nazr's horrible contract. But your GM wanted both, that's why the deal didn't work out in the end.

I must say it's a good move from your GM, cause it would have been a rob if we'd get wallace for such a small package. Still I really wanted to see him in a blazer uniform, and perhaps this offseason there might still be a deal involving him. But I have to be honest and say you guys did the right thing.

DerekRE_3
02-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah trading Wallace would have been a huge mistake. Not only is he our best player, but he is become more and more like a point forward every day. When he drives, he's becoming great at interior passing. He is just a very unselfish player who usually makes the right play. The Blazers just wanted to give us expirings, you don't trade your best player for expirings, especially when he is 26. Larry Brown himself said that Wallace hasn't even scratched the surface on how good he can become.

Wallace is the leader and heart and soul of the Bobcats. I don't think he's going to be going anywhere anytime soon.

masalex1205
02-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah trading Wallace would have been a huge mistake. Not only is he our best player, but he is become more and more like a point forward every day. When he drives, he's becoming great at interior passing. He is just a very unselfish player who usually makes the right play. The Blazers just wanted to give us expirings, you don't trade your best player for expirings, especially when he is 26. Larry Brown himself said that Wallace hasn't even scratched the surface on how good he can become.

Wallace is the leader and heart and soul of the Bobcats. I don't think he's going to be going anywhere anytime soon.

Wow that's awesome if he said that, when was it? do you have a link?

I can't say enough about Wallace, plays his heart out every night, never complains, is the perfect team player.

If I was Portland and I could get Wallace for the scrub package they were offering by taking on Nazr at the same time I would do it a million times over. He would be a perfect fit. On the positive side of it for Cats fans I would enjoy Wallace getting the credit he deserves finally.

masalex1205
02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
You have some valid points there. I think Portland was pushing quite hard to acquire Wallace, and either would include some talent, or take on Nazr's horrible contract. But your GM wanted both, that's why the deal didn't work out in the end.

I must say it's a good move from your GM, cause it would have been a rob if we'd get wallace for such a small package. Still I really wanted to see him in a blazer uniform, and perhaps this offseason there might still be a deal involving him. But I have to be honest and say you guys did the right thing.

agreed, but as I said above I think Wallace could put Portland over the top, that's how underrated I think he is.

Imagine a portland lineup of

Blake/Rodriguez/Bayless
Roy/Fernandez
Wallace/Outlaw
Aldridge
Oden

SICK

DerekRE_3
02-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Wow that's awesome if he said that, when was it? do you have a link?

I can't say enough about Wallace, plays his heart out every night, never complains, is the perfect team player.

If I was Portland and I could get Wallace for the scrub package they were offering by taking on Nazr at the same time I would do it a million times over. He would be a perfect fit. On the positive side of it for Cats fans I would enjoy Wallace getting the credit he deserves finally.

He said it earlier this year, I don't have a link right now but I can try to find it.

uncblue2332
02-20-2009, 06:43 PM
I like martin as far as playoffs we will contend next year were in a hole too deep now