PDA

View Full Version : Reaction after the deadline

raptor fan
02-19-2009, 06:28 PM
So the deadline has come and passed. What do u guys think of what happened? Who were the winners and losers? Do u like what the raptors did in terms of trade, or did not do? What do u think about this team moving forward? Would you look to add some pieces via waiverwire in the next couple of weeks? Here's the lineup as of now for the remainder of the season

PG: Calderon/Ukic/Banks
SG: Parker/Kapono
SF: Marion/Graham
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: Bargnani/Voskuhl/O'bryant/Jawai

Personally, i would have liked for B.C to have moved kapono before the deadline to free up some cap space for either this off-season or in 2010. that's not to say that a deal can't be done in the off-season, but i think we could have gotten a pretty good deal from a desperate contending team. However, we can never know for sure what exactly the demand was for kapono.

I like the addition of o'bryant. he was a player that i wanted to bring in the off-season as a backup big. its a low risk-high reward type of deal. We needed another big, and if he produces then its all good, if not he's on a minimum contract.

As for the team in place, i like it for the future. we have a lot of cap space this summer so i'm hoping for big things in the next couple of years. as for the current picture, i really dont see the raps as a playoff team. there are just too many teams to pass and there's not really that much time. I think B.C knows that with the JO trade and the fact that he wasn't a buyer at the deadline.

So what do u guys think?

Talick
02-19-2009, 06:40 PM
our bench is still not that great

canzano55
02-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I think BC did all he could. The trades he succeeded in completing were overall good, one being major with the outcome yet to be determined while the other was a subtle pick up while giving away next to nothing.

The concern is that even with a healthy roster the chemistry needs retuning and with such few games to spare.

What we need is to get lucky, plain and simple. Good or bad basketball we need to start getting calls and winning games. It needs to start in New york Friday and it has to continue for the rest of the season if there's any chance we get to see post season.

Musical Tempo
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
O'Bryant huge. All I have to say. The team speaks for itself the same way it did before the all*star weekend.

blujaysrock
02-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I like both the trades he made,

_Sn1P3r_
02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
our bench is still not that great

YUp, just a minor tweak. I am glad we let go of Will though.

carruthers32
02-19-2009, 07:24 PM
I would put O'Bryant ahead of Voshkul on your depth chart. I think BC did a damn good job....we needed a defensive/ rebounding small forward and brought the best rebounding wing in the league.

We needed front court depth....and he traded away a seldom used PG for a guy who can be our backup C for years.

Considering what he had to work with in terms of assets....i would give him an A-.

One move I was hoping he would make was trade AP's expiring for 2 quality bench guys, and put joey as the starting shooting guard.

Gup
02-19-2009, 07:26 PM
I remember the days when O'bryant was in college, he was looked at to be something special! drafted high... Just like alot of big men, they are late bloomers

Musical Tempo
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
I would put O'Bryant ahead of Voshkul on your depth chart. I think BC did a damn good job....we needed a defensive/ rebounding small forward and brought the best rebounding wing in the league.

We needed front court depth....and he traded away a seldom used PG for a guy who can be our backup C for years.

Considering what he had to work with in terms of assets....i would give him an A-.

One move I was hoping he would make was trade AP's expiring for 2 quality bench guys, and put joey as the starting shooting guard.

No doubt in regards the bold part. O"Bryant was Perkins back up C for the entire season. Celtic record, and roster speak for themselves, but he is a great asset to our team.

IMO WILL & O'Bryant trade will pan out better then JO & Marion. Even though obviously the trades aren't on the same level we got rid of a asset we didn't us for something we needed. As where the JO trade, we didn't JO but we also need a productive wing player so it was a WIN WIN/LOSE LOSE situation.

O'Bryant Trade was a full out WIN WIN situation because even if O'Bryant is a flop we trade a big flop in return.

I remember the days when O'bryant was in college, he was looked at to be something special! drafted high... Just like alot of big men, they are late bloomers

9th overall.

He has a 7'6" wingspan

He could be the next Keon Clarke for us.

3lite-Raps
02-19-2009, 07:49 PM
So the deadline has come and passed. What do u guys think of what happened? Who were the winners and losers? Do u like what the raptors did in terms of trade, or did not do? What do u think about this team moving forward? Would you look to add some pieces via waiverwire in the next couple of weeks? Here's the lineup as of now for the remainder of the season

PG: Calderon/Ukic/Banks
SG: Parker/Kapono
SF: Marion/Graham
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: Bargnani/Voskuhl/O'bryant/Jawai

Personally, i would have liked for B.C to have moved kapono before the deadline to free up some cap space for either this off-season or in 2010. that's not to say that a deal can't be done in the off-season, but i think we could have gotten a pretty good deal from a desperate contending team. However, we can never know for sure what exactly the demand was for kapono.

I like the addition of o'bryant. he was a player that i wanted to bring in the off-season as a backup big. its a low risk-high reward type of deal. We needed another big, and if he produces then its all good, if not he's on a minimum contract.

As for the team in place, i like it for the future. we have a lot of cap space this summer so i'm hoping for big things in the next couple of years. as for the current picture, i really dont see the raps as a playoff team. there are just too many teams to pass and there's not really that much time. I think B.C knows that with the JO trade and the fact that he wasn't a buyer at the deadline.

So what do u guys think?

my lineup would be
bargnani/obryant/jawai/voskuhl
bosh/hump
marion/graham
parker/kapono
calderon/banks/ukic

ChitownbullsBG7
02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
The JO and Marion swap was purely made in order to give cap for this year so that you can try to bring in help for Bosh so that he will be happy enough to stay. Also i believe Chicago made some moves to prepare for a trade during the summer and before the deadline for Bosh. Also i read that Bosh's #1 place to go is Chicago.

3lite-Raps
02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
i like the obryant move but i still think we should've traded kapono and parker for a dece Sg

ramz.n
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
i like the obryant move but i still think we should've traded kapono and parker for a dece Sg

well i think it was like the marion deal...everyone wants Parker's expiring but no one wants to be stuck with Kapono's contract...but i guess its a good thing because next year people will want Kapono because of his expiring.

Haran
02-19-2009, 08:22 PM
if we get mikki moore, id say were playoff bound and our bench would be pretty damn good. Ukic/Kapono/Graham/Moore/Bryant would be our Worst case scenario and that is NOT that bad.

magikmc
02-19-2009, 08:34 PM
we aint getting moore, period.

ink
02-19-2009, 08:44 PM
The JO and Marion swap was purely made in order to give cap for this year so that you can try to bring in help for Bosh so that he will be happy enough to stay. Also i believe Chicago made some moves to prepare for a trade during the summer and before the deadline for Bosh. Also i read that Bosh's #1 place to go is Chicago.

Not at all. It was made to acquire the SF that Colangelo has coveted for a long time.

ChitownbullsBG7
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
yea but watch yall NOT resign him.

More shats!
02-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Not at all. It was made to acquire the SF that Colangelo has coveted for a long time.

+1

If Marion was purely a cap space move BC would have not taken on Banks contract.BC did the trade because he believes Marion is the perfect SF for the team and if it dosent work he has the cap space.

Musical Tempo
02-19-2009, 09:10 PM
my lineup would be
bargnani/obryant/jawai/voskuhl
bosh/hump
marion/graham
parker/kapono
calderon/banks/ukic

I don't want to be an a$s but wasn't his line up the same?

Makes no sense. Banks, and O'Bryants contract are 8m combined. Why waste 8m for guys whom have contract till 2011 & 2012?

BC is clearly trying to make the best possible team to try and keep Bosh by becoming a playoff contender this year, and potential championship contender next year.

I don't see why he would trade away JO, for nothing except cap space for a weak 2009 market. He is clearly working for 2010, and trying to keep Bargnani, Bosh, & Jose (possible Marion) happy enough to become a elite team.

Murphy_Dee
02-19-2009, 10:17 PM
^^^ Looks like he just moved Jake to the end of the bench and let the young C's get some PT. I agree with the sentiment, I never want to see Jake on the court again haha.

Maverick22x
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
well i think it was like the marion deal...everyone wants Parker's expiring but no one wants to be stuck with Kapono's contract...but i guess its a good thing because next year people will want Kapono because of his expiring.

I think Kapono has 2 more years left on his contract after this year. The last year might be a player option but I don't see him opting out of that.

Most teams were afraid of taking any kind of salary for next year because of the very likely possibility of the cap and luxury tax threshold going down by 1-2 million. So I would imagine trading Kapono for expirings or even players signed for slightly less next season was nearly impossible.

I was hoping that BC could take advantage of the buyer's market and send Parker's and maybe Joey's expirings for an upgrade at SG. We really won't have much cap room to sign one this offseason unless we let Marion walk or sign and trade him. We're stuck with what we have now plus our draft pick and the MLE which could be fine if we get a little lucky.

Life'sABrees
02-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Why is everyone so anxious to trade Joey... I like what he's done as of late and actually hope to retain him in the offseason... Parker not so much

lorenz00
02-19-2009, 11:20 PM
i like both trades and helped our ball club

GCOOKIE7
02-19-2009, 11:24 PM

YEA MAN the JO trade ensures that we don't have a replica season to this one. Now we know we don't have to watch the same team next year.

ramz.n
02-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Why is everyone so anxious to trade Joey... I like what he's done as of late and actually hope to retain him in the offseason... Parker not so much

whats shocking is Joey's averaging 15ppg in February:speechless:..theres just something about Jay Triano..being the underdog himself, i guess it gives the players who were glued to the bench and or criticized some hope :clap:

bartron_44
02-20-2009, 12:25 PM
I liked both trades. Some people aren't so much a fan of the Soloman trade, but we now have our backup Center looked after. Now FA and the draft can be focused on the teams other needs..