PDA

View Full Version : hell yeah , skip is coming to town

MAC10TIZZY
02-19-2009, 04:26 PM
i applaud otis X10 for getting him...i cound'nt of picked anyone better

macc
02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Damn Mac # 2....(I'm Macc #1) weren't you just hating on Otis in another Bulleton? Otis has done a good job for us. Don't lose hope in him. If theres a need he's pretty good about fixing it. Savy

MAC10TIZZY
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
nah man , i dont hate, i congratulate.....read up on me...........anways awesome work magic, i look forward to enjoying magic games again...lol.

Twistedheat
02-19-2009, 05:44 PM
seems to be a good move.. although he has a relatively low shooting % at times and can be more of a scorer than a true pg... still a good move at the deadline

macc
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Ya no doubt. I was getting worried their for a bit after we got beat up in NO. Hopefully Alston learns our system fast and we're back to blowing teams out again.

sNaKeS
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I wonder what this is gonna do for nelson now that we got 3 pg's that are healthy. I'm hoping he comes back and the magic bring either alston or johnson off the bench for a spark, but now that we got a point at the deadline i'm thinking he may take the surgery and not take any chance in the future.

MAC10TIZZY
02-19-2009, 10:46 PM
I wonder what this is gonna do for nelson now that we got 3 pg's that are healthy. I'm hoping he comes back and the magic bring either alston or johnson off the bench for a spark, but now that we got a point at the deadline i'm thinking he may take the surgery and not take any chance in the future.

this is EXACTLY correct, well done otis/and snakes

Dunlap
02-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Hell yeah you got skip. but for real He's going to piss you off when dwight is wide open under the basket and he bricks a 3 instead of giving it to him or when he spins into the lane for a teardrop and misses or when he misses a layup.

sNaKeS
02-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Hell yeah you got skip. but for real He's going to piss you off when dwight is wide open under the basket and he bricks a 3 instead of giving it to him or when he spins into the lane for a teardrop and misses or when he misses a layup.

I don't think the words "Dwight" and "wide open" should ever be in the same sentence to be honest with you. He is constantly being double teamed or at least someone is trying to guard him. As long as he can throw it in his vicinity then he'll come down with it. I'll be more comfortable when we see this in action, hopefully skip to my lou can play sunday against the heat on national television to show the magic are back and coming for the title. Cleveland and Boston, THE ROAD TO THE FINALS WILL RUN THROUGH ORLANDO!!!!!!

Ballah0liC1
02-20-2009, 12:58 AM
good luck with alston and all the bricks

prodigy
02-20-2009, 10:36 AM
i applaud otis X10 for getting him...i cound'nt of picked anyone better

chris paul?? lol, Thats who I would pick.

alston is not very good at all guys. 37% from field, 34%from three's. I really don't see it as that much of a difference maker. If anything he will take shots away from lewis, turk and howard. He will also brick those shots.

MAC10TIZZY
02-20-2009, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=prodigy;8445508]chris paul?? lol, Thats who I would pick.

alston is not very good at all guys. 37% from field, 34%from three's. I really don't see it as that much of a difference maker. If anything he will take shots away from lewis, turk and howard. He will also brick those shots.[/QUO

dude for the money he makes, and only giving up a couple of third and fourth string players for a starter(and future pick)....so let me get this straight , you would rather we didn't do anything and keep a.j. and lue as starter....hmm , noooo thanks buddy.......you go worry bout the cavs and we will worry bout the magic

prodigy
02-20-2009, 11:26 AM

alston is not very good at all guys. 37% from field, 34%from three's. I really don't see it as that much of a difference maker. If anything he will take shots away from lewis, turk and howard. He will also brick those shots.[/QUO

you go worry bout the cavs and we will worry bout the magic

Don't really need to lol.

I have no problem with the magic getting alston. But to hear the magic fans talk about this being a great trade is really funny. It might be better then having johnson out there, but not by much.

macc
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM

dude for the money he makes, and only giving up a couple of third and fourth string players for a starter(and future pick)....so let me get this straight , you would rather we didn't do anything and keep a.j. and lue as starter....hmm , noooo thanks buddy.......you go worry bout the cavs and we will worry bout the magic

I agree. All he needs to do is run the floor and be our general as he has proved he can be his entire career. Without him we have AJ (slowest man on earth, scientific fact) and Lue. We needed somone who can keep up with quicker guards, control the floor and penetrate and dish. I believe Alston can do all those things. I would rather have somone like him who takes a bad shot once in a while then somone like AJ running the floor who quicker guards have their way with. Check out the NO game where paul had 36 points. Plus as stated before we didnt' give up much for him and now we have another starter.

People can nit pick on Alston all they want but in reality he's def an upgrade from Lue and AJ. Bottom line.

Dunlap
02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=MAC10TIZZY;8445718]

I agree. All he needs to do is run the floor and be our general as he has proved he can be his entire career. Without him we have AJ (slowest man on earth, scientific fact) and Lue. We needed somone who can keep up with quicker guards, control the floor and penetrate and dish. I believe Alston can do all those things. I would rather have somone like him who takes a bad shot once in a while then somone like AJ running the floor who quicker guards have their way with. Check out the NO game where paul had 36 points. Plus as stated before we didnt' give up much for him and now we have another starter.

People can nit pick on Alston all they want but in reality he's def an upgrade from Lue and AJ. Bottom line.

Thats true he is betterthan what you have but he wont lead you past the celtics or Cavs

Dunlap
02-20-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't think the words "Dwight" and "wide open" should ever be in the same sentence to be honest with you. He is constantly being double teamed or at least someone is trying to guard him. As long as he can throw it in his vicinity then he'll come down with it. I'll be more comfortable when we see this in action, hopefully skip to my lou can play sunday against the heat on national television to show the magic are back and coming for the title. Cleveland and Boston, THE ROAD TO THE FINALS WILL RUN THROUGH ORLANDO!!!!!!

Ok ya dwight probably wont be wide open under the basket but you get the idea

macc
02-20-2009, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=macc;8445813]

Thats true he is betterthan what you have but he wont lead you past the celtics or Cavs

I agree with the Celtics, they are the defending champs so I give the edge to them over the Magic but the Cav's. Really? We blew them out when we played them last and we'll blow them out next time we play them. We just give the Cavs to many problems with the mismatches we create against them. Cavs don't win big games. They beat Boston once and other than that they've lost to the Magic, Boston and LA, twice. They beat alot of average and below teams. Check their schedule.

Campy
02-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I like this trade! Alston pushes the floor and has the ability to shoot the 3. He's a perfect fit!

Campy
02-21-2009, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=MAC10TIZZY;8445718]

Don't really need to lol.

I have no problem with the magic getting alston. But to hear the magic fans talk about this being a great trade is really funny. It might be better then having johnson out there, but not by much.

Too bad every major analyst disagrees with you! Don't quit your day job stalking Brady Quinn who supposedly lives down the street from you! LMFAO!!!

Campy
02-21-2009, 11:00 AM
From best to worst, in terms of moves made this month

1. ORLANDO MAGIC

Positive Spin: The combination of Tyronn Lue and Anthony Johnson just wasn't going to cut it. Rafer Alston gives Orlando a legit point guard to handle the team while Jameer Nelson sits out the rest of the season after shoulder surgery. Alston's contract is guaranteed for only $2.5 million next year.

Orlando: A nice save for the Magic, who probably hit the phones in horror as soon as they saw Chris Paul tear through their stopgap point guards Wednesday night. Alston makes a lot for what he produces, but he goes way back with Stan Van Gundy, so he should be able to run the offense from Day 1, and his ability to defend should allow Orlando to hold down the fort at point guard with Jameer Nelson out for the season.

This deal solidifies Orlando's standing as the East's No. 3 team and puts the Magic on a likely course for two playoff rounds. Alston also will upgrade the backup point guard spot next year when Nelson comes back.

Foyle and Wilks had to go to make the cap math work. Only their friends and families will notice. Grade: B

Orlando acquires Rafer Alston; loses Brian Cook, a first round pick

Grade: A

To be able to take three guys who played a combined 176 minutes for your team this year, the potential 27th pick in the Draft, and trade them for a starting point guard? A starting-caliber point guard? Masterstroke.

I questioned on Thursday why the Magic just didn't try to trade for Kyle Lowry outright, seeing as how he's had a better year than Alston so far, and is a defensive upgrade over the 32-year old. The issue with that is that this year, the difference will be so imperceptible that it won't really matter. Next year and the year after, when Alston will be pretty much useless, it will be. But not for the next few months.

The issue with Rafer is shot selection. He thinks he's a better player than he is, and he shoots accordingly. His usage rate, which is the ability of a player to create his own shot (three guys named Wade, LeBron, and Kobe lead the league in it) or possession, is 18.8, which is about the same number that Ray Allen and Pau Gasol have. The Magic can't have that. The Rockets barely could.

He needs to rein in his shooting instincts, and it starts at the three-point line. Alston shoots 35 percent from behind the arc, and yet he takes about as many three-pointers per minute as Ray Allen. Can't keep that up.

But because of his familiarity with Stan Van Gundy's system, and the respect he'll likely have for his former coach, his instincts will hopefully improve. This deal won't put the Magic anywhere near where they were before Jameer Nelson's injury, losing your second-best player and replacing him with a below average point guard will do that, but he'll still be an improvement over Anthony Johnson, and it didn't cost Orlando a thing.

I can't have people thinking that I'm denigrating Alston. I dig his game, especially when he's on it, and I love his commitment to winning.

He truly wants it, because he's dealt with the worst that this game has to offer, and if he doesn't make the best decisions, it's not out of selfishness, it's because he thinks that next runner is going to go in. But I've put in the work needed to be able to rationally point out things that may go against conventional wisdom, even if it's a step in front of those who think that they're already utilizing unconventional wisdom themselves because of Alston's non-star'ish nature.

I don't toss things out there lightly. I don't toss things out there without great thought going into them. I don't toss things out there for a reaction, or to show off. I don't stop questioning myself, from hour to hour, so I'm always correcting myself; but when I do have the research and hours put in to make an assertion, I'm sticking with it.

And that's not the end of the world. Rip on me all you want, but also understand that I'm re-watching Grizzlies games at two in the afternoon for your benefit. So I can serve you better, and bring you a voice that I don't think you're getting from other outlets.

phi714
02-21-2009, 03:51 PM
1 for 9 with three points last night for Reefer. That's the kind of inconsistency he had while in Houston. The terrible trade for the Rockets translated to Aaron Brooks scoring 19points and closing it out by hitting two clutch three pointers in the final miunte or so. Oh, by the way Kyle lowry came off the bench and scored more than Alston. And don't say that Alston didn't start - he played starting minutes.
The reason the NBA analysts think Rafer is good is the same reason they think Houston is sunk w/o McGrady. They don't watch the team daily and don't understand that talent fades over time. Tracy was a morale killer in the lockerroom and Rafer was too slow and often took stupid shots (hence the 1 for 9).
Orlando didn't get 'had' in this trade, but don't be foolish enough to think that your team is significantly better beacuse of it.

macc
02-21-2009, 04:18 PM
1 for 9 with three points last night for Reefer. That's the kind of inconsistency he had while in Houston. The terrible trade for the Rockets translated to Aaron Brooks scoring 19points and closing it out by hitting two clutch three pointers in the final miunte or so. Oh, by the way Kyle lowry came off the bench and scored more than Alston. And don't say that Alston didn't start - he played starting minutes.
The reason the NBA analysts think Rafer is good is the same reason they think Houston is sunk w/o McGrady. They don't watch the team daily and don't understand that talent fades over time. Tracy was a morale killer in the lockerroom and Rafer was too slow and often took stupid shots (hence the 1 for 9).
Orlando didn't get 'had' in this trade, but don't be foolish enough to think that your team is significantly better beacuse of it.

What is your point in bringing this up? Are you still trying to compare trades? Bottom line is we traded for him to make our team better. Which is what happened. Alston is an upgrade over AJ and Lue. Bottom line. You nit pick the guys first game with us because he goes 1-9. Oh btw we got the W and Alston also had 8 assists. So not to shabby for his first rushed game where he didn't even know our defense. Stop being a typical hater who starts to hate a player just because he isn't on your team anymore. He doesn't have to score for our team to win. Just dish the ball out and play good defense. That's all we expect him to do.

So please tell me again. What point are you trying to make in your post?

sNaKeS
02-21-2009, 04:48 PM

Why the hell is everyone pointing out the 1-9 shooting? So what! He's here to PASS the ball and that is what he did with the 8 assists! Why don't you also note that your rockets played the pathetic Dallas Mavericks defense. Why are you quick to judge alston who had 1 day in the system compared to Brooks who has been in and knows the rockets system. Just because your team sucks doesn't mean you come in here and rant about the magic.

MAC10TIZZY
02-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Why the hell is everyone pointing out the 1-9 shooting? So what! He's here to PASS the ball and that is what he did with the 8 assists! Why don't you also note that your rockets played the pathetic Dallas Mavericks defense. Why are you quick to judge alston who had 1 day in the system compared to Brooks who has been in and knows the rockets system. Just because your team sucks doesn't mean you come in here and rant about the magic.

hell yeah!! get em' snakes........

*Superman*
02-22-2009, 02:14 AM
What is your point in bringing this up? Are you still trying to compare trades? Bottom line is we traded for him to make our team better. Which is what happened. Alston is an upgrade over AJ and Lue. Bottom line. You nit pick the guys first game with us because he goes 1-9. Oh btw we got the W and Alston also had 8 assists. So not to shabby for his first rushed game where he didn't even know our defense. Stop being a typical hater who starts to hate a player just because he isn't on your team anymore. He doesn't have to score for our team to win. Just dish the ball out and play good defense. That's all we expect him to do.

So please tell me again. What point are you trying to make in your post?

hell yeah!! get em' snakes........

Exactly, the guy rushed down here and im surprised he even played in the game. HE wasn't even here for a proper warm up or practice. He arrived 6 hours before the game so stop hating. The Magic are gonna get farther then the Rockets anyways.

sNaKeS
02-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Exactly, the guy rushed down here and im surprised he even played in the game. HE wasn't even here for a proper warm up or practice. He arrived 6 hours before the game so stop hating. The Magic are gonna get farther then the Rockets anyways.

The very fact that he wanted and even played in this game shows his desire for this team and I am very proud of this trade. It's almost as though the doorway is being open to the magic as we speak, think about it, we bring in alston, he plays in the first game and drops 8 dimes en route to our highest scoring Non-Overtime game in 5 games, Garnett goes down for the celtics for 2-3 weeks (and speaking of which, the magic will play the celtics while garnett is injured), and the cavs choke (and *****) whenever they play anybody good this year. I'm telling you the magic will be the #1 seed in the east by the end of the year.

EX-TREME
02-23-2009, 09:31 AM
i take alston over aj and lue anyday. he is a first pass pg and psuh the tempo which aj doesn't. the only downside is that he is shooting the 3 ball in a low Percentage

Campy
02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
i take alston over aj and lue anyday. he is a first pass pg and psuh the tempo which aj doesn't. the only downside is that he is shooting the 3 ball in a low Percentage

I agree and that shot percentage will increase, because he will get more open attempts while sharing the floor with the likes of Rashard, Hedo, Redick, and D12!

Gdubbz
02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Hes really put us over the top. Skip had 9 dishes and 12 points last night. Hes really that piece of the puzzle missing these past few weeks.

tugboat424
02-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Skip is gonna be a great addition for us - provided that he realizes his limits - and let's the shooters shoot. It's too bad we got rid of Bogans for lue though. But I am very glad we got rid of Brian Cook's rotting corpse. I never wanted to see him play another minute of Magic basketball again. Is that 1st round pick we gave up for this year? If so, I really would've liked the Magic to have been able to draft some front court help....maybe take a flyer on a Tyler Hansbrough or DeJuan Blair if they were still available late first round. Overall though, I really think we improved with the addition of Skip.