PDA

View Full Version : O'Bryant to the Raptors for Will Solomon

JermanJaysFan
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Doug Smith reporting from his live blog:

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Small time deal, for sure, but a deal nonetheless.

boilerguy2412
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
The Raps need someone to play up front, decent trade. What is the deal with O'Bryant. Is he just never going to amount to anything.

VCaintdead17
02-19-2009, 04:20 PM
there has been alot of tiny trades

JermanJaysFan
02-19-2009, 04:29 PM
ESPN reporting it now too:

Chris Sheridan: A source tells me the Boston Celtics have agreed to trade Patrick O'Bryant to Toronto for backup point guard Will Solomon. There were reports that O'Bryant was headed to Sacramento, but this deal fills Boston's need for another option at point guard behind Rajon Rondo, Eddie House and Gabe Pruitt, and it gives the Raptors another big body to bring off the bench.

Anyone who watched Andrea Bargnani and Jake Voskuhl try to stop Zydrunas Ilgauskas last night can see why the Raptors would be looking for some more size.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

Nighthawk
02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
gotta like this deal...I actually think Solomon is a better backup option than Pruitt. Getting a solid backup for a player we NEVER put on the floor is pretty good.

JermanJaysFan
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
^^Trust me- you don't want Will on the floor. He seems to still think that he is the best player on the floor, like he was in Europe/Israel. He takes stupid shots, makes bad passes, and just bad judgment overall. He truly lives up to the nickname of "Solo-man".

RapToronto95
02-19-2009, 04:35 PM
yay go raps.

Will solomon is a decent backup-backup PG. He WILL look for his shots and sometimes pass.

Nighthawk
02-19-2009, 04:38 PM
^^Trust me- you don't want Will on the floor. He seems to still think that he is the best player on the floor, like he was in Europe/Israel. He takes stupid shots, makes bad passes, and just bad judgment overall. He truly lives up to the nickname of "Solo-man".

your a toronto fan. Id like to think you watch enough games to know Solomon. However i still want to see him play for a winner. I mean the raptors are a shooting team so you cant really fault the man for shooting. Once he gets practicing and being around the celtics i HOPE he realizes what were trying to accomplish and that he could be a key part in it.

NYMetros
02-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Kind of surprising. I thought the Celtics would do something a little bigger than this. Doesn't help them out much at all. Rafer Alston would have been a good guy for them to look at.

blujaysrock
02-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I like this trade O'bryant was a former #9 overall pick only 3 years ago, maybe we can give him some minutes, considering he will probably be the backup C now

Brian35
02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Raptor Fans: Soloman is *****, but he'll be the one laughing at us at the end of the year when the Celtics Repeat!

JermanJaysFan
02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
your a toronto fan. Id like to think you watch enough games to know Solomon. However i still want to see him play for a winner. I mean the raptors are a shooting team so you cant really fault the man for shooting. Once he gets practicing and being around the celtics i HOPE he realizes what were trying to accomplish and that he could be a key part in it.
I can fault him for shooting when Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani, Anthony Parker and Jason Kapono are all on the floor. I can fault him for driving into the lane, leaving his feet, and throwing the ball away blindly.
Heres an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6kbgAA8uhM

And the Raptors announcers hit the nail on the head here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jfYNLQY5kA&feature=related

I won't deny that he is talented and has the ability to play some good ball, it just seems that he forgets that he is no longer a star, and that his role is different in this league. Maybe that mindset will change, like you said, when he starts playing on a contender, but he stopped getting PT here in favour of rookie Roko Ukic, so that should say something.

pebloemer
02-19-2009, 04:49 PM

Solomon made some bad choices and took some bad shots, but I think my fellow Raptor's fans exaggerate it a little bit.

Good deal for both teams IMO. Solomon gets a chance to play at a position that Boston needs some help in (backup PG) and O'Bryant gets a chance to plat at a position the Raps need help in (backup big). Very minor deal, but smart for both teams.

greg_ory_2005
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Yay, Solomon is gone! :dance:

_Sn1P3r_
02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Hmm, not bad. Raps get a nice, young big (who is just 23 so he can still improve).

BTownTeamsRKing
02-19-2009, 05:14 PM
i heard soloman is going to sac for a 2nd round pick

UK Bull
02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
i heard soloman is going to sac for a 2nd round pick

yeah same here

The Kings have also agreed to a minor deal with Toronto in which they will receive guard Will Solomon and cash considerations for a future second-round pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

Draco
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
John Hollinger: (4:23 PM ET ) BTW, we have some confusion on the Will Solomon front -- apparently he's now going to Sacramento, along with cash, meaning somebody paid the Kings to take him (because they sure as hell aren't adding salary) -- not sure yet if it was Toronto or Boston that coughed up the cash.

3lite-Raps
02-19-2009, 05:40 PM
raps still get o byrant it was a 3 way deal

sac gets
will solomon

tor gets
o'bryant

boston gets
future 2nd rounder
cash

UK Bull
02-19-2009, 05:42 PM
raps still get o byrant it was a 3 way deal

sac gets
will solomon

tor gets
o'bryant

boston gets
future 2nd rounder
cash

Chris Sheridan: In a three-way trade, Toronto gets Patrick O'Bryant from Boston, Sacramento gets Will Solomon from Toronto and Boston gets a heavily-protected conditional second-round pick from Sacramento.

Gibby23
02-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Kings waived Mikki Moore, and on ESPN it say's he might end up in Boston. Makes sense.

boilerguy2412
02-19-2009, 06:32 PM
I am just galde Soloman is gone. I don't understand how he is in the NBA he just drives to the hoop and when there is no way he can score he throws the ball into the crowd and then looks around like was everyone elses fault he did that and trust me that has happend at least 10 times this year. he doens't even play anymore anways. I hope O'Bryant can become a player cause we need to devlop a big

chicago lulz
02-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Thought that said Bryant at first and I was all "wat?"

Nighthawk
02-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I am just galde Soloman is gone. I don't understand how he is in the NBA he just drives to the hoop and when there is no way he can score he throws the ball into the crowd and then looks around like was everyone elses fault he did that and trust me that has happend at least 10 times this year. he doens't even play anymore anways. I hope O'Bryant can become a player cause we need to devlop a big

I think O'bryant can score the basketball in this league. From the VERY VERY VERY few minutes he was given here in Boston he looked like he had a pretty nice set of post moves. However rebounding and defense is where this guy gets stuck on the bench. If you dont play defense and play physical in this league you hit the pine. Celtics seem to love the 2nd round picks. Pretty good to see us GET SOMETHING for O'bryant and Cassell.