PDA

View Full Version : Skip to my Lou to Magic- 3 team deal

durtee
02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

Mr_Peabody
02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
doesnt' matter to me. Hopefully its significant to the teams it effects.

D_Rose1118
02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
b-diddy to the rockets?

oldenpolynice
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that the Rockets, Grizzlies and Magic submitted a three-team deal to the league offices at the deadline. The trade sends PG Rafer Alston to the Magic, Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook to the Rockets and Orlando's first-round pick to the Grizzlies.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

durtee
02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
b-diddy to the rockets?

Sure seems possible now.

bleedprple&gold
02-19-2009, 04:12 PM
already posted

GunFactor187
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
The Rockets should start developing Brooks now.

bleedprple&gold
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Alston for Cook and a first-round pick. Good move for Orlando

carter15
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
great pickup by orlando.

king4day
02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
If this trade doesn't say Houston's throwing in the towel, I dunno what does.
Good move though in getting Lowry. I don't get it at all from a Memphis perspective.

RapToronto95
02-19-2009, 04:17 PM
so who starts for Houston now?

Brooks, Lowry or Von Wafer?

JordansBulls
02-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Rockets Get = Lowry and Cook

Magic Get = Alston

Grizzlies Get = Pick

DRE'-MAC
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm very confused on why the Rockets did this

DreamShaker
02-19-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm very confused on why the Rockets did this

Because Rafer is horrible?

Nets fan 93
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
I thought this was just a rumor...decent pickup...that pick will be a late 1st and Cook is just a bench player

ajj22
02-19-2009, 04:40 PM
as a magic fan, im really happy about this deal. i realize alstons not an allstar or anything, and he won't fill jameer's shoes completely, but this definitely helps us out a lot. after watching chris paul torch us last night due to anthony johnson being the slowest point guard in nba history, i love that we'll have a guy that can at least keep up with people. also worth mentioning is that we hardly gave up anything for him. our first round pick will probably be around 25th, and i wouldve given up brian "i'm sorely out of shape, only take bad shots, and have yet to collect my first nba rebound" cook for an ice cream cone. i believe that the 13 assists that alston got 2 games ago is also more than jameer's career high...overall, im happy with the deal.

macc
02-19-2009, 04:45 PM
as a magic fan, im really happy about this deal. i realize alstons not an allstar or anything, and he won't fill jameer's shoes completely, but this definitely helps us out a lot. after watching chris paul torch us last night due to anthony johnson being the slowest point guard in nba history, i love that we'll have a guy that can at least keep up with people. also worth mentioning is that we hardly gave up anything for him. our first round pick will probably be around 25th, and i wouldve given up brian "i'm sorely out of shape, only take bad shots, and have yet to collect my first nba rebound" cook for an ice cream cone. i believe that the 13 assists that alston got 2 games ago is also more than jameer's career high...overall, im happy with the deal.

As a Magic fan as well I concur with this statement. Our GM got 2 pointguards in 3 weeks for pennies. Can't ask for much more than that.

fredv
02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Rockets got raped right there...

DreamShaker
02-19-2009, 04:47 PM

If you are worried about Cook's shot selection....you ain't seen nothing yet!!! Rafer throws up some of the ugliest shots you shall ever see....and Rafer won't be getting many 10 assist games....defense he is solid and he's a vocal leader....but he makes a great deal of mental mistakes....he will be great for 5 games then terrible for 15 games....

DreamShaker
02-19-2009, 04:48 PM

:pity:

_Sn1P3r_
02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Wow, Orlando stole Rafer. At least they get a nice PG for Jameer's absence. Are they gonna use a small backcourt, like what the Cavs did with West-Williams when Jameer comes back next season and Rafer is still with them?

Fear_GAS_OLDier
02-19-2009, 04:56 PM
shocked by houston giving up rafer, but i guess lowry is younger, so why not

ajj22
02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
If you are worried about Cook's shot selection....you ain't seen nothing yet!!!

lol that seems to be what i'm reading about the guy. his fg% does seem pretty low. like you said, i don't expect those 13 assist games to be the norm, but the fact that he has that capability instantly makes him 5 times as good as anthony johnson. im excited about the good defense, i guess the biggest issue will be if van gundy can shape him up and get him to cut down a little on his bonehead plays on offense. with dwight and all our shooters, all he needs to do is penetrate and dish...we'll see if he learns that though...

agobbi17
02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Because Rafer is horrible?

Rafer is a baller. There was no reason to trade him. He played great for the Rockets and was the passion of the team. I hate this trade.

ajj22
02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow, Orlando stole Rafer. At least they get a nice PG for Jameer's absence. Are they gonna use a small backcourt, like what the Cavs did with West-Williams when Jameer comes back next season and Rafer is still with them?

we'll see if hedo re-signs with us over the offseason. either way though, i expect for courtney lee to be starting 2 guard next year with either hedo/pietrus at sf, to go with lewis and dwight, meaning that alston will most likely be a backup.

fredv
02-19-2009, 05:03 PM
:pity:

Your an idiot, you probably never saw Lowry play... Guy has no experience! Even though I hate Rafer Airballin' Alston, he is still better than Lowry.

Why?

Alston know's this offense, can run it, led this team to a 22 win streak last year, was a clear impact in the playoffs(we struggled the first games he was out) and has definitely more experience than Lowry.

Right now: Alston > Lowry

Maybe Lowry will be better in the future, but weren't we trying to win now?

We got owned. End of story. We should of packaged Alston+Artest or Alston+Someone for a legit PG.

Done.

_Sn1P3r_
02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Rafer is a baller. There was no reason to trade him. He played great for the Rockets and was the passion of the team. I hate this trade.

You gotta change your sig buddy. :p

fredv
02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Apparently Rockets only get Lowry. Lol what a joke.

Alston straight up for Lowry. Rape right there, probably biggest in Rockets history!

Edit: Aldridge just said he was mistakken, Rox get Cook.

ATX
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
So as someone else mentioned..Who starts, Lowry or Brooks?...I'm guessing Wafer starts at SG since TMac is done for the season. Correct me if I'm wrong...

GREATNESS ONE
02-19-2009, 05:30 PM
if I am not mistaken this gives the Grizz 3 1st round picks.

brandt
02-19-2009, 05:32 PM
If this trade doesn't say Houston's throwing in the towel, I dunno what does.
Good move though in getting Lowry. I don't get it at all from a Memphis perspective.

Apparently you haven't heard of a guy by the name of Aaron Brooks who will be taking Rafers place. He's a rookie and has proven to be worthy of starting. It may not have been the best trade for the Rockets, but honestly Rafer was too inconsistant and was getting payed more than he probably deserved. Now Aaron Brooks finally has a chance to shine and even though McGrady is gone, they still have a good team. Mcgrady has already been out 20 games this season and the Rockets are still in 5th place in a very hard division. it gives a chance for some good talent to step it up.

fredv
02-19-2009, 05:43 PM
So as someone else mentioned..Who starts, Lowry or Brooks?...I'm guessing Wafer starts at SG since TMac is done for the season. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Lowry at the PG
Artest at the SG
Battier at the SF

fredv
02-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Apparently you haven't heard of a guy by the name of Aaron Brooks who will be taking Rafers place. He's a sophmore and has proven to be worthy of starting. It may not have been the best trade for the Rockets, but honestly Rafer was too inconsistant and was getting payed more than he probably deserved. Now Aaron Brooks finally has a chance to shine and even though McGrady is gone, they still have a good team. Mcgrady has already been out 20 games this season and the Rockets are still in 5th place in a very hard division. it gives a chance for some good talent to step it up.
Fixed

Kakaroach
02-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Wow this makes absolutely no sense for the Rockets. What the crap do they get in two players whose former teams never used them.

dre1990
02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
he's a solid PG

astrosmaniac
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Lowry at the PG
Artest at the SG
Battier at the SF

no

Brooks at PG
Battier at SG
Artest at SF

artest us more physical than battier and battier is quicker, so he fits the SG better

fredv
02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
no

Brooks at PG
Battier at SG
Artest at SF

artest us more physical than battier and battier is quicker, so he fits the SG better

Artest started at the 2 against the Nets, and Battier at the 3, so thats probably what its going to be on the paper, they will probably switch to guard players. And as of Brooks starting, he isn't. Lowry will, most of the reporters out there are saying it...

Kakaroach
02-19-2009, 06:02 PM
The Rockets must be really trusting in Aaron Brooks and a player in Kyle Lowry that had limited minutes on a very bad team.

astrosmaniac
02-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Artest started at the 2 against the Nets, and Battier at the 3, so thats probably what its going to be on the paper, they will probably switch to guard players. And as of Brooks starting, he isn't. Lowry will, most of the reporters out there are saying it...

do you really think that the rockets would start a guy they just traded for who doesnt know the offense and isnt clearly better than brooks? i think they wanted to dump alstons contract and let brooks have the starting role to see what he can do

fredv
02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
do you really think that the rockets would start a guy they just traded for who doesnt know the offense and isnt clearly better than brooks? i think they wanted to dump alstons contract and let brooks have the starting role to see what he can do

Just reporting kiddo!

Hellcrooner
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Grizz are crazy, the sold their best Pg for a 27 to 30 pick to add to lakers 27 to 30 pick?

Unles they already KNOW their pick is going to be one of the first three and Either Harden, Jennings or RUbio will be there, i just dont get it.

Nets fan 93
02-19-2009, 06:12 PM
LOL
Lowry is really good...him and Brook are a nice young combo

Hustla23
02-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Good trade for Orlando. Their pick would have been in the late 20's.

*Superman*
02-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Man this trade made my day. A starting PG for a late 1st and Cook!

Wow Otis i :worthy: you.

fredv
02-19-2009, 06:17 PM
LOL
Lowry is really good...him and Brook are a nice young combo

Im not sold on the guy, he didn't even start for... Memphis!

fredv
02-19-2009, 06:29 PM
To make the salaries work, the Magic included in the Houston deal center Adonal Foyle and Mike Wilks along with Cook

Verbal Christ
02-19-2009, 06:33 PM
fred you are trippin' dude, and i respect your input here and more importantly in the ROX forum, but take a deep breath and just think about what has transpired. First, Lowry WILL NOT be starting, chill out, he doesnt know the system and will need time to acclimate and the PG position will be up for grabs next year. You are acting as if we just gave up Devin Harris for Kidd or something. Barry will assume more PG duties until we find the combo that works better. Good lord man, we just got rid of "3 for 13" calm down. To those who say we're waving the white flag, and giving up on this season have another thing coming.

*Superman*
02-19-2009, 06:40 PM
To make the salaries work, the Magic included in the Houston deal center Adonal Foyle and Mike Wilks along with Cook

Even more garbage we got rid of.

Anyone know Alston's contract

Verbal Christ
02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Even more garbage we got rid of.

one mans garbage is another mans treasure. have fun watching Skip launch ridiculous 3's and clanging point blank teardrops in the lane off the back iron.

tmac93
02-19-2009, 06:42 PM
yess

*Superman*
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
one mans garbage is another mans treasure. have fun watching Skip launch ridiculous 3's and clanging point blank teardrops in the lane off the back iron.

Naw in Orlando he can lob those teardrops to Dwight. As for the 3's, he will get his share after Shard and Turk.

Chronz
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Brooks can pick up the slack, its best to cash in on Orlando's misery right now than letting Rafer decline and get nothing, question is who do the Rockets cut? They got so many players out of this.

Verbal Christ
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Naw in Orlando he can lob those teardrops to Dwight. As for the 3's, he will get his share after Shard and Turk.

totally missed the point, but im thrilled we finally got a sucker to take Skip. Cook will either be released, optioned to D League or just another practice scrub. Our target was Lowry and we just had to include you guys to make it work. im happy you're happy. LOL

IRUAM #21
02-19-2009, 06:47 PM

Alston is way better than Anthony Johnson , btw Alston makes $4,900,000 this year and $5,250,000 next year.

*Superman*
02-19-2009, 06:58 PM
totally missed the point, but im thrilled we finally got a sucker to take Skip. Cook will either be released, optioned to D League or just another practice scrub. Our target was Lowry and we just had to include you guys to make it work. im happy you're happy. LOL

Lowry hasn't proved anything yet.

Verbal Christ
02-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Lowry hasn't proved anything yet.

what has skip proven? That an AND 1er can make the league? Skip is 31, Lowry is what 22? Both have comparable stats, other than points and well Skip averages like 30 min a game (12-14 PPG) and Lowry averages 7 PPG with what 15 min a game? who has the room to improve?

Chronz
02-19-2009, 07:03 PM

I think your being a tad dicklike VC, Orlando didnt get swindled in this deal. They got themselves the best player in the deal and he fills a need, the guy has a point, in Houston the lack of athletes diminished Rafer's effectiveness, with Dwight around those tear drops will be more effective, if they crowd him hes smart enough to find their surplus of shooters and if the big rotates on him Dwight offers something Yao couldnt, a lob option. I wouldnt be surprised if his efficiency rises a few notches. Hes an inconsistent shooter but what do you think Lowry is, I know your replacing Rafer with Brooks, but Brooks is being replaced by Lowry/Barry, thats definitely a drop off unless Kyle fits in seemlessly, lets wait until we see these guys play before claiming anything, even though you may be right.

Verbal Christ
02-19-2009, 07:10 PM
I think your being a tad dicklike VC, Orlando didnt get swindled in this deal. They got themselves the best player in the deal and he fills a need, the guy has a point, in Houston the lack of athletes diminished Rafer's effectiveness, with Dwight around those tear drops will be more effective, if they crowd him hes smart enough to find their surplus of shooters and if the big rotates on him Dwight offers something Yao couldnt, a lob option. I wouldnt be surprised if his efficiency rises a few notches. Hes an inconsistent shooter but what do you think Lowry is, I know your replacing Rafer with Brooks, but Brooks is being replaced by Lowry/Barry, thats definitely a drop off unless Kyle fits in seemlessly, lets wait until we see these guys play before claiming anything, even though you may be right.

im not trying to rub it in their face Chron, I think skip will have success in Orlando, its not like he's going to Memphis. Its just more amusing to me that Magic fan think they raped us, we've been trying to trade skip for like 3 years now. it could be a win/win for everyone involved. we werent winning with rafer so why not try something, ANYTHING new? Lowry is a pretty good defensive PG maybe even better than Rafer, with plenty of room to improve, thats all im saying. and IMO i think barry has been playing pretty good as of late.

joeboow90
02-19-2009, 07:14 PM
This is a good trade for all 3 teams.
Grizzlies get a 1st rounder, get rid of Lowry now Conley the PG
Orlando gets Rafer the pg that they needed badly
Rockets get something for Rafer in Lowry and now Brooks is their PG

$KnicksAndKobe$
02-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Great trade for Houston, Lowry is a beast.

ajj22
02-19-2009, 07:22 PM
im not trying to rub it in their face Chron, I think skip will have success in Orlando, its not like he's going to Memphis. Its just more amusing to me that Magic fan think they raped us, we've been trying to trade skip for like 3 years now. it could be a win/win for everyone involved. we werent winning with rafer so why not try something, ANYTHING new? Lowry is a pretty good defensive PG maybe even better than Rafer, with plenty of room to improve, thats all im saying. and IMO i think barry has been playing pretty good as of late.

only person who said you got raped was another rocket fan.

KB24PG16
02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
the rockets are self destructing why would they do this theyll probally trade ron too

Jay22Redd
02-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Great trade for Houston, Lowry is a beast.

I really hope your right cause I thought this was a horrible trade for us.

*Superman*
02-19-2009, 08:36 PM

Thank you for understanding.

Really when did i say that we raped you? Find me some proof.

Verbal Christ
02-19-2009, 09:03 PM
i may have jumped to a conclusion and for that i apologize, but its not fair to say that you guys were able to dump garbage and attain a 'great' addition for your team without being objective and able to see it from all angles. i simply voiced the other side of the story and hopefully everyone benefits. you guys had a great team without skip, i dont think he's the missing piece to get you over the top, your conference has two legit contenders, while the west is just crazy 1-9. i wish you luck and i wish skip all the best as well, he played with fire and never halfassed it which cant be said about some (1) current player(s)

edit: the west is crazy 2-9

*Superman*
02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
i may have jumped to a conclusion and for that i apologize, but its not fair to say that you guys were able to dump garbage and attain a 'great' addition for your team without being objective and able to see it from all angles. i simply voiced the other side of the story and hopefully everyone benefits. you guys had a great team without skip, i dont think he's the missing piece to get you over the top, your conference has two legit contenders, while the west is just crazy 1-9. i wish you luck and i wish skip all the best as well, he played with fire and never halfassed it which cant be said about some (1) current player(s)

Its cool man, you were right, i was wrong saying that we dumped garbage. I was just really excited that we got a PG, not throwing the season away. Good luck with Lowry, he has potential.

Verbal Christ
02-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Its cool man, you were right, i was wrong saying that we dumped garbage. I was just really excited that we got a PG, not throwing the season away. Good luck with Lowry, he has potential.

its all good, skip can be really entertaining. we're pretty much on the edge around here with all the instability and quick to snap. you guys have a damn good team and it should be interesting to see how it works out for you guys, BUUUUUT we do seem to whip your butts when we face "ya'll" .. hehe .. take it easy.

astrosmaniac
02-19-2009, 09:37 PM
the rockets are self destructing why would they do this theyll probally trade ron too

they arent self destructing. rafer sucks. he can dribble and thats about it. in the rockets offense what we need is a PG who can knock down a three, which brooks can do. plus rafer is in his 30s while lowry is 22 and has potential to be very good

mgsports
02-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Also Foyle and Wilks are part of it.