PDA

View Full Version : Cavs trying to get Shaq

Gibby23
02-19-2009, 01:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=TradeTalkRoundup-090218

Check this page often for updates. Refresh and scroll down to see all entries.

POSTED: Feb. 19 -- 12:03 a.m.

Shaquille O'Neal and LeBron James?

ESPN.com contributor Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that the Cavs have offered Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic to the Phoenix Suns for O'Neal.

And sources close to the process have confirmed to ESPN.com that the teams are indeed in talks involving O'Neal, which would offer the Suns some of the payroll relief they've been seeking. Because only $1.5 million of Pavlovic's contract is guaranteed next season, Phoenix would slice $5.5 million off of its 2009-10 payroll if it agreed to send Shaq to the Cavs.

It's believed, though, that the Suns are resistant to taking back Wallace and thus trying to convince Cleveland to part with Wally Szczerbiak's $13.8 million expiring contract instead, which would turn this into a huge financial windfall for Phoenix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xanderyear
02-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Just saw this on another site as well. Sure would be interesting to see, but I have a feeling it'd end up being a bad trade for the Cavs

Free Throw
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Interesting, yet scary at the same time.

TheChosenOne88
02-19-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm praying this doesn't happen, it has bad news written all over it.

DrDEADalready
Shaq + Lebron? wow I think that team could be dangerous.

tkshy
I heard it on NBA TV. It would work for both teams. Why not?

STAT32
02-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Oh dear lord please pull the trigger Kerr. Run and Gun gets taken to a whole new level with this move....

Steve Nash
Jason Richardson
Grant Hill
Ben Wallace
Amare Stoudemire

Imagine all the space Amare would have to operate with!

TheChosenOne88
I heard it on NBA TV. It would work for both teams. Why not?

Shaq and Z are both starters, this doesn't help our team chemistry. Adding Camby, Jamison, or even VC would be better than this.

jetsfan28
What would they do with Z? Neither Z nor Shaq can play PF, and having Shaq + Z for only 48 minutes doesn't seem to make any sense.

DieselPowered32
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Are u kidding me? If this happens it would make the Cavs scary.Shaq has more of a chance to Win a Championship with Lebron than he has with the Suns. Lebron is the best player in the game, plus Shaq is in shape and desperately wants to win a ring so this can only be a plus for the Cavs. Also the suns want to Run again so it works for them too.

IndyRealist
02-19-2009, 01:15 PM
The Cavs would be really, really big down low, but really thin on the perimeter. I assume big Z would come off the bench? I think 24 minutes for Shaq and Z each is enough, both are showing signs of age (Shaq doesn't play back-to-backs) and could benefit from having a starting caliber backup. I don't watch many Cavs games, is Delonte West still out? If so I don't know if they can lose both Wally and Sasha.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Shaq and Z are both starters, this doesn't help our team chemistry. Adding Camby, Jamison, or even VC would be better than this.

i agree with u. i think shaq would change the whole cavs offensive philosophy. we all know shaq likes to be the man, how will shaq deal with being a subordinate to lbj?

does lebron want shaq?

TheChosenOne88
02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
God damit Kerr, I was going to kill you if you traded Stoudemire. Now I'll kill you if you ruin our team chemistry.

jetsfan28
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Agree. I mean having Z on the bench? How does that work? Or, if they trade Wally, having Z and Varejao on the bench? They'd be better off with:

Z
Wallace
Jamison or Carter
LeBron
Williams

And then basically the bench they have now, minus Wally

DieselPowered32
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
i dunno where i read it(i'm gonna try and find it) but i saw in an article...that when all the trade rumours started in Phoenix about Sarver wanting to get rid of Shaq or Amare, that Shaq was really keen on playing with Lebron if he got traded, and that people close to Lebron said he felt the same way and he wouldn't be against it.

JordansBulls
02-19-2009, 01:19 PM
This is ridiculous if Shaq gets traded. He is just going from a worse team to a better team the last few years.

PapelbonLester
i hope the cavs get shaq so then after they win it all you can say shaq played with the BEST 3 guards of this era and won a championship with all 3 of em

x_notorious
That would be the slowest front court in all of basketball. Big Z and Shaq? :laugh2:

TheChosenOne88
The only reason the Cavs will do this is because we didn't get Camby and it will make our front line tougher for the playoffs.

Free Throw
02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
i hope the cavs get shaq so then after they win it all you can say shaq played with the BEST 3 guards of this era and won a championship with all 3 of em

Who would the third guard be? :confused:

GunFactor187
02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
I think Z could play PF...Hmm let's see here...

C - Shaqtastic
PF - Zydrunas
SF - LeBron
SG - Gibson
PG - Mo

That's scary...

DieselPowered32
02-19-2009, 01:22 PM
I bet u Sarver makes this trade...his so desperate to get rid of Shaq's big contract

DrDEADalready
02-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Who would the third guard be? :confused:

Are you serious?

Kobe, Wade and lebron.

Free Throw
02-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Are you serious?

Kobe, Wade and lebron.

I knew what he meant.

I guess I just don't really consider Lebron a guard necessarily, he can really play just about any position.

DieselPowered32
02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I think Z could play PF...Hmm let's see here...

C - Shaqtastic
PF - Zydrunas
SF - LeBron
SG - Gibson
PG - Mo

That's scary...

How can Cavs fans not like this, this is a rejuvenated Shaq they would be getting, he can still dominate.

Lebron is always gonna get to the rim dun matter if shaq is down low , he will drive in the lane and dump it off to Shaq here and their, throw him some alleys
Big Z has a pretty good jumper so wen they double Shaq, he can just kick it out to Big Z and plus this would mean more open looks for Mo,Gibson and Lebron cos if u don't double Shaq even now while his been playing well, he can make u pay.

king4day
02-19-2009, 01:33 PM
I really don't want this to happen.

1. Hack-a-Ben
2. We'd no longer have a post game
3. Cavs would easily be team to beat in the league

UPDATE (12:29 p.m. ET): Multiple sources with knowledge of the talks between Cleveland and Phoenix today are saying as of noontime that a deal actually coming together to team Shaquille O'Neal and LeBron James is very unlikely.
No one is denying that the teams have talked, but we're getting strong hints now that this deal is in no way close.

jetsfan28
How can Cavs fans not like this, this is a rejuvenated Shaq they would be getting, he can still dominate.

Lebron is always gonna get to the rim dun matter if shaq is down low , he will drive in the lane and dump it off to Shaq here and their, throw him some alleys
Big Z has a pretty good jumper so wen they double Shaq, he can just kick it out to Big Z and plus this would mean more open looks for Mo,Gibson and Lebron cos if u don't double Shaq even now while his been playing well, he can make u pay.

That's great, they get a rejuvenated Shaq, but he doesn't fit their team. Z would be absolutely abused by quick PF's and they'd have a ton of trouble with any team that can get out on the break.

NYK
Big Z cannot play pf and neither him or shaq will want to come off the bench.

TheChosenOne88
02-19-2009, 01:38 PM
UPDATE (12:29 p.m. ET): Multiple sources with knowledge of the talks between Cleveland and Phoenix today are saying as of noontime that a deal actually coming together to team Shaquille O'Neal and LeBron James is very unlikely.

No one is denying that the teams have talked, but we're getting strong hints now that this deal is in no way close.

Hopefully it doesn't go through.

TheChosenOne88
02-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't think the Suns will do it unless Wally's expiring is in the deal, Big Ben and Sasha for Shaq doesn't help them cut payroll this season, this trade would be pointless for the Suns.

thedfactor
02-19-2009, 01:45 PM
It looks unlikely

NYK
02-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Its not going to happen.

Lions #81
02-19-2009, 01:48 PM
if i was cleveland i wouldnt do this
shaq doesnt play every game

Hermie13
02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
The deal as mentioned in the article would be great for the Cavs. It'll keep Z fresher and Andy can take Wallace's minutes anyways.

And who on the Lakers would guard Shaq in a finals matchup? Odom? that would be interesting.

Getting Shaq would make the Cavs NBA champ favorites.....as it stands now, they're just NBA east favorites.....the Lakers are the team to beat....

ttam68
02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Whats Delonte West's status?

If Cleveland gives up Wally then they'd have a very depleted backcourt. And Shaq and Z can't play together. Remember when Miami had Shaq and Zo both playing well? Its a great rotation but it hurts the starting 5.

Frank Costanza
02-19-2009, 01:56 PM
if they have shaq big z mojo and lebron the celtics are done

Mr.ATLHawks
02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
i agree with u. i think shaq would change the whole cavs offensive philosophy. we all know shaq likes to be the man, how will shaq deal with being a subordinate to lbj?

does lebron want shaq?

Probably the same way he dealt with being the subordinate to Flash in Miami when they won a championship. You over estimate Shaq's ego. He is a team player

Sixerlover
02-19-2009, 02:16 PM
^ Exactly. Shaq wasn't the man on the Heat and they got a title. If they did get this deal done (which it might not happen) they would have kept their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th options, while acquiring Shaq. Beastly

DreamShaker
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Horrible for the Cavs.