PDA

View Full Version : NBA warns teams about shrinking cap

dirtybird
02-19-2009, 12:39 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Al3b_Lue6AZjtz5GRtIfVqm8vLYF?slug=ys-tradebuzz021909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The NBA sent out an ominous memo to its teams on the eve of the league’s trade deadline to outline dramatic projected drops in salary-cap and luxury-tax levels for the next two summers, Yahoo! Sports has learned.

Because of rapidly declining revenues, the league office delivered a sobering warning to teams trying to free cap space for the historic free-agent class of 2010: Owners and executives will likely have to strip more payroll than initially planned.

At a time when most of the league’s teams are trying to shed salary, these stark projections did nothing to encourage the absorbing of top talent and pricey contracts in the final hours leading up to Thursday’s 3 p.m. ET trade deadline.

More shats!
02-19-2009, 12:45 PM
We are going to see a lot of teams giving up players for basicaly nothing in the next couple of years.I think we are also going to see a lot of players taking pay cuts because teams will not go very high on the contracts.This actualy might help us keep Marion and Bosh at a good price.

dirtybird
02-19-2009, 12:48 PM
^ I don't see why the NBA would be any differently hit than MLB. In baseball, players are taking a big hit in the contracts they're signing. I think that many teams will be just as cost-conscious in the NBA. I think that Cuban stated that there are a number of teams using the 2010 free agent class as the excuse to cut payroll.

More shats!
02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
^ I don't see why the NBA would be any differently hit than MLB. In baseball, players are taking a big hit in the contracts they're signing. I think that many teams will be just as cost-conscious in the NBA. I think that Cuban stated that there are a number of teams using the 2010 free agent class as the excuse to cut payroll.

Yeah in MLB you are seeing guys that could have sign 14-16 mill a year contract having to take on 8-10 mill or less because of the way the economy is in.I could see the same happening in the NBA where guys that could have been close to max players having to take smaller contracts.

Kapono's contract is looking worst every day.

dirtybird
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah in MLB you are seeing guys that could have sign 14-16 mill a year contract having to take on 8-10 mill or less because of the way the economy is in.I could see the same happening in the NBA where guys that could have been close to max players having to take smaller contracts.

Kapono's contract is looking worst every day.

I've always taken the stance that a player's salary should reflect where he ranks amongst his peers. So if the Raptors signed Kapono for the MLE he should at least be an average player. Unfortunately, he was never that (not even in Miami).

More shats!
02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
I've always taken the stance that a player's salary should reflect where he ranks amongst his peers. So if the Raptors signed Kapono for the MLE he should at least be an average player. Unfortunately, he was never that (not even in Miami).

He was a scrub that got a lot of open looks playing with 2 of the best players in the LG at the time he had a fluke season playing along side Shaq and Wade.And BC probably thinking he was the second coming of Ray Allen gave all the money he had to spend on him.He forgot how bad of a defensive player he was and that a lot of players could be good if you put them with 2 players of Shaq and Wade's caliber.Kapono is the prime example that you have to take a hard look at players that have one great season and before that they where average or scrubs.