PDA

View Full Version : Joe Smith Wants To Be A Celtic?

DaaBoTownSox
02-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Chris Sheridan: A source who has been in the know for years tells me that Joe Smith is keeping his fingers crossed that the Thunder do not find another trade for him now that he's back in Oklahoma City. Smith, the source said, would like to do a buyout and then sign with the Boston Celtics as this season's version of P.J. Brown.

Source: ESPN.com

Jaji
02-19-2009, 02:14 AM
me too :D

Frrrrank!!!
02-19-2009, 02:18 AM
:jumpy::pray:

bostncelts34
02-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Frrrrank!!!
02-19-2009, 02:20 AM
:pray::pray::pray:

Lakersfan2483
02-19-2009, 02:29 AM
PJ Brown is a much better defensive player and role player then Smith. I don't think Smith would be a significant pickup. It's tough to replace Posey and Brown, those two guys were huge off of the bench, esp. on defense.

madiaz3
02-19-2009, 02:30 AM
I see a Joe Smith addition as PJ Brown all over again. Maybe a little less D but a little more offense.

NYKnickFanatic
02-19-2009, 02:31 AM
Not surprising.

He knows the Celtics want him.

Why wouldnt he want to be on a team that has a chance for a title?

SJSHARKIES
02-19-2009, 02:32 AM
Boston does need someone like him.

djeller1139
02-19-2009, 02:33 AM
Who doesn't want to go to the Celtics? Great city, good surrounding team, chance to win...this shouldn't be too surprising - especially coming from a guy in Oklahoma..

Squigga420
02-19-2009, 02:36 AM
I'm pretty sure most guys in the league wish they were on the celtics or lakers.

sacgiants1213
02-19-2009, 02:37 AM
i'd be surprised if he wasn't a celtic by the end of the week.

NYKnickFanatic
02-19-2009, 02:37 AM
Who doesn't want to go to the Celtics? Great city, good surrounding team, chance to win...this shouldn't be too surprising - especially coming from a guy in Oklahoma..

He is on New Orleans now, remember? :)

EDIT: Never mind. I just read the trade didnt go through! :speechless:

JordansBulls
02-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Well not sure the Celtics need another big man do they?

GoatMilk
02-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Celtics need a guard right now.
Not sure I'd want to see Gabe Pruitt playing big minutes, but since I'm no Boston fan, please go ahead

MossIsBoss
02-19-2009, 02:47 AM
Bring the mutha****a in, we'll give 'em candy and welfare checks. Hold a press conf. with the Big 3, have a grape drink party!!!

Morgan
02-19-2009, 02:51 AM
i'd be surprised if he wasn't a celtic by the end of the week.

No it will take a little time for the Thunder to release him IF he doesn't get traded in the next 14 hours or so.

sacgiants1213
02-19-2009, 02:53 AM
No it will take a little time for the Thunder to release him IF he doesn't get traded in the next 14 hours or so.

oh, well i still think he'll be a Celtic some time.

thedfactor
02-19-2009, 02:55 AM
Yeah just buy me out so I can join the Celtics and play for a championship. It's sad and ******** these guys, old vets. lol

Morgan
02-19-2009, 02:57 AM

That's exactly what they need. They don't have a guy bigger than 6 foot 7 on their bench. They need a big man especially one like Joe Smith who can hit a 15 foot jumper with regularity.

Does anyone know when the deadline is where players have to be released from their current teams in order to sign with another team and be playoff eligible?

Mr.Grizzly
02-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Celtics Suck!@

NYKnickFanatic
02-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Celtics Suck!@

Not necessary dude.

GoatMilk
02-19-2009, 03:46 AM
why would OKC waive him though?
he's in the final year of his contract. If they cant trade him by thursday, they should just keep him

bostncelts34
02-19-2009, 03:51 AM
the celtics do have someone bigger than 6'7..powe is 6'8 i beleive and o;bryant is a 7 footer.

Morgan
02-19-2009, 03:56 AM
the celtics do have someone bigger than 6'7..powe is 6'8 i beleive and o;bryant is a 7 footer.

O'Bryant isn't in the rotation though and if Powe is any bigger than 6'7 it's by a millimeter. I remember seeing a shot of him and Pierce standing next to each other and Pierce looked noticably bigger than Powe did.

santana88
02-19-2009, 04:36 AM
Celtics would take a bag of peanusts if it gives them a better and tougher bench... they know they will have a hard time getting through to the finals against teams such as the Cavs, Magic who are better then last yr... the Hawks who can always knock them off and if they do they will be hard press to beat most likely the LAKERS and if not them the spurs.....
the celtics gave everything up for last yr.. if they win this yr that will be it cause it will be another 20 yrs of rebuilding....
GO LAKERS!!!!!

Free Throw
02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
why would OKC waive him though?
he's in the final year of his contract. If they cant trade him by thursday, they should just keep him

That's what I keep wondering, and still can't figure out. Unless he's given them the feeling he'd like it done, but even then, would they do it just because it was his preference?

BTownTeamsRKing
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM

it wasnt always like that. there was a time when Boston was veiwed as a place to not think about. especially the city part.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
That's what I keep wondering, and still can't figure out. Unless he's given them the feeling he'd like it done, but even then, would they do it just because it was his preference?

roster spot

Super.
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM

after the way i watch big baby fail off the bench? maybe just a lil

Sport
02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Hmmmm a guy playing for the Thunder wants to play for the Celtics? I am shocked.

asandhu23
02-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Everyone on Celtics needs to shoot themselves in the knee ( KG especially ).

There is such a big controversy out there that Playoffs were rigged to help NBA with recession. Lakers Versus Celtics is the big rivalry in NBA and what better way to earn money than Celtics and Lakers fighting off with the new 3 big ones on Celtics?

Atleast Warriors have true fans, not celebrities showing off their goods and hogging up the lower sections.

asandhu23
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Everyone on Celtics needs to shoot themselves in the knee ( KG especially ).

There is such a big controversy out there that Playoffs were rigged to help NBA with recession. Lakers Versus Celtics is the big rivalry in NBA and what better way to earn money than Celtics and Lakers fighting off with the new 3 big ones on Celtics?

Atleast Warriors have true fans, not celebrities showing off their goods and hogging up the lower sections.

Pun intended, last line.

bagwell368
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Must be talking about the Lakers, because that's not true in TD BankNorth...

nd4T.O.
02-20-2009, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=Atleast Warriors have true fans, not celebrities showing off their goods and hogging up the lower sections.[/QUOTE]

and just bc there celebrities they cant be fans...hahaha:)

BTownTeamsRKing
02-20-2009, 01:46 PM
with KG out, it would be nice if OKC speeds up the process!

Lakeshow86
02-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Not if the Lakers get him first!

brownies23
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
who says 4 sure that joe smith is goin 2 sign with you guys.when he got traded from the cavs, he said that when his contract was up, he would like 2 go back.so who knows, he might sign with the cavs instead.We have just as good of a shot if not better now that kg is hurt to win the title then you guys.we will just have to wait and see what happens

Cavs Potential Roster

PG:Mo,Boobie
SG:West, Pavlovic
SF:Lebron, Wally
PF:Big Ben,Smith, and Hickson
C:Z, Varejao

Cavs potential roster looks more like a title team then

Celtics Potential Roster

PG:Rondo,Pruitt
SG:R. Allen, House, Allen(When he returns)
SF:Pierce,Walker,Giddens
PF:Garnett(When he returns),Powe,Davis
C:Perkins,Smith, Scalabrine

Go Cavs.

YankeeFan89
02-20-2009, 02:25 PM
they need a big man...KG undergoing MRI.

mrblisterdundee
02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Joe Smith just wants to matter at all. That guy is one of the most forgotten first picks ever.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-20-2009, 02:59 PM
who says 4 sure that joe smith is goin 2 sign with you guys.when he got traded from the cavs, he said that when his contract was up, he would like 2 go back.so who knows, he might sign with the cavs instead.We have just as good of a shot if not better now that kg is hurt to win the title then you guys.we will just have to wait and see what happens

Cavs Potential Roster

PG:Mo,Boobie
SG:West, Pavlovic
SF:Lebron, Wally
PF:Big Ben,Smith, and Hickson
C:Z, Varejao

Cavs potential roster looks more like a title team then

Celtics Potential Roster

PG:Rondo,Pruitt
SG:R. Allen, House, Allen(When he returns)
SF:Pierce,Walker,Giddens
PF:Garnett(When he returns),Powe,Davis
C:Perkins,Smith, Scalabrine

Go Cavs.

Joe Smith himself saying he wanted to come to Boston in the role of this year's PJ Brown. does that answer your question?

carter15
02-20-2009, 03:01 PM
i dont lik how teams can just add player lik this for nothing after being cut by another team.

Corey
02-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Smith's also expressed a ton of interest in Cleveland. I wouldn't get your hopes up, C's fans.

brownies23
02-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Smith's also expressed a ton of interest in Cleveland. I wouldn't get your hopes up, C's fans.

that was my point right there.i wasnt tryin to say that he didnt say that.i was just tryin 2 say he had also shown interest in the Cavs as well.

BouGa
02-20-2009, 03:13 PM
i dont lik how teams can just add player lik this for nothing after being cut by another team.

Why because certain players don't go to other teams?

This rule has been in place for who knows how long, now that old veterans who would like to be a part of a winner go to a winning team.

Who thought PJ Browns old *** would actually be as big as he was, some pick ups are just chances other are just busts.

Its all apart of the game, I hate how lately people are *****ing about the rules just because they aren't going in favor of their home team.

Strumpy
02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Bring the mutha****a in, we'll give 'em candy and welfare checks. Hold a press conf. with the Big 3, have a grape drink party!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

HOZ THE KNICK
02-20-2009, 03:37 PM
hopefully things workout for the veteran

Leafsleeve
02-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Joe Smith would be a solid help in the paint when they play the Spurs in the finals. The Lakers aren't making it.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-20-2009, 05:05 PM

the quote says he wants to come to Boston. i dont know what more anyone needs to beleive that if he is bought out in time, he will be a Celtic. same with Marbury

Lakers4ItAll
02-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if he ended up a Laker

Fear_GAS_OLDier
02-20-2009, 07:01 PM
i hope not

carter15
02-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Why because certain players don't go to other teams?

This rule has been in place for who knows how long, now that old veterans who would like to be a part of a winner go to a winning team.

Who thought PJ Browns old *** would actually be as big as he was, some pick ups are just chances other are just busts.

Its all apart of the game, I hate how lately people are *****ing about the rules just because they aren't going in favor of their home team.

no thats not the case at all lol...my team is the nets and i have absolutely no interest in joe smith since it wudnt really vault us into a championship contender...

i dont have a problem with FA's signing with a team...but lik with what happened with mcdyess going back to Detroit and teams just cutting vets midway through the season and they go to contenders for nothing...i just think there shud be some compensation going the other way or something cuz i dont lik the idea of this happening with 2 or 3 players every year...its just my view of things.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-20-2009, 08:05 PM
no thats not the case at all lol...my team is the nets and i have absolutely no interest in joe smith since it wudnt really vault us into a championship contender...

i dont have a problem with FA's signing with a team...but lik with what happened with mcdyess going back to Detroit and teams just cutting vets midway through the season and they go to contenders for nothing...i just think there shud be some compensation going the other way or something cuz i dont lik the idea of this happening with 2 or 3 players every year...its just my view of things.

i know exactly what your saying. its like when players get traded and then waived and 2 days later they are back to their old team.

but its a good deal for everyone involved. the team no longer has to pay the vets and a contending team gets much needed help.

Fireworld
02-20-2009, 08:09 PM
KG strains right knee, to miss rest of trip

Nighthawk
02-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Lets say Marbury isnt bought ought by the Knicks before March 1. Hes off the table. Whats the C's next move? Mikki Moore? He is currently unemployed. Joe Smith would be nice. another big who can nail the jumpshot. Whiat Big Baby is tryng to be. Jason Williams has said to be trying to get reinstated and rumors say Clippers will buy em out. He could easily fill a need. Smith and Marbury is the dream scenario at this point. I honestly dont think we will get those 2 guys. Dannys smart though. He'll do something.

Kakaroach
02-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Celtics should try hard for Jason Williams. I personally hate the guy and think he's just coming back for money and another ring, but it would greatly increase Eddie house's game.

Super.
02-20-2009, 09:28 PM
bring the mutha****a in, we'll give 'em candy and welfare checks. Hold a press conf. With the big 3, have a grape drink party!!!

you are my new best friend

all hail the grape drank!

unwantedplayer
02-20-2009, 09:40 PM
We need him now that KG is hurt. We need another Big Body. In big body I meen tall, not fat like Scal :D.

Nighthawk
02-20-2009, 10:30 PM
We need him now that KG is hurt. We need another Big Body. In big body I meen tall, not fat like Scal :D.

never say and unkind word about the veal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mods can we have this guy banned. we are undefeated when scal starts. Watch your mouth

Frrrrank!!!
02-20-2009, 10:38 PM
never say and unkind word about the veal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mods can we have this guy banned. we are undefeated when scal starts. Watch your mouth

:worthy:Scal

Kakaroach
02-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Lmao why do Celtic fans like Scal? Its so weird some of the things I see in sigs...

Nighthawk
02-20-2009, 10:45 PM
:worthy:Scal

:)

GoatMilk
02-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Lmao why do Celtic fans like Scal? Its so weird some of the things I see in sigs...

he's white

lorenz00
02-20-2009, 10:56 PM
omg celtics there getting everyplayer that us waive..

COLH
02-21-2009, 12:58 AM
should be a perfect fit with the celtics.

dawallbanger
02-21-2009, 01:25 AM
celts need joe smith more than joe need the celts!

Faneik
02-21-2009, 01:27 AM
celts need joe smith more than joe need the celts!

do you know joe? can you tell him for me that if he joins the celtics we'll win a ring?

thanks

Sports Illustrator
02-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Joe Smith would serve as tremendous help for the Celtics. He will even be able to play some minutes at Center will needed as well. He is a very valuable vet and would be even more valuable to the Celtics since he fits in perfectly with the Celtics' veteran team almost. I know many teams would love to have a guy like Joe Smith out there.

Nighthawk
02-21-2009, 01:49 AM
he's white

LOL

I find it funny people are so shocked that Scal has fans. Hes playing is best basketball as a Celtic this year. Now that isnt allstar basketball but hes been a great help for us this season. All the radio shows and tv shows here in Boston all say Scalabrine has been one of are better bench players this season. Scal is white. But hes impressed me alot before his concussions.

Nets fan 93
02-21-2009, 02:00 AM
C's need a forward/ gaurd... they have enough bigs

Frrrrank!!!
02-21-2009, 02:17 AM
C's need a forward/ gaurd... they have enough bigs

The problem with the Celtics is their "bigs" off the bench are all 6'8".

Redbull
02-21-2009, 02:29 AM
Who wouldn't want to play for the Celtics, plus Joe Smith is still a decent player.

Nighthawk
02-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Thunder need to buy this guy out A.S.A.P

KB24PG16
02-21-2009, 05:02 PM
y would anyone want to be a celtic?

Frrrrank!!!
02-21-2009, 05:22 PM
y would anyone not want to be a celtic?

Fixed.

KeithLBC
02-21-2009, 05:32 PM
y would anyone want to be a celtic?

Because they're a team that has the pieces to win it all.

Nobody wanted to be a Celtic before the big three, just like nobody wanted to be on the Lakers in 05 with just Kobe as the main piece. When a team's on the verge of making a deep playoff run all the vets want to flock to that team. There's nothing new with this concept, it's been this way for a long time :shrug:

Frrrrank!!!
02-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Because they're a team that has the pieces to win it all.

Nobody wanted to be a Celtic before the big three, just like nobody wanted to be on the Lakers in 05 with just Kobe as the main piece. When a team's on the verge of making a deep playoff run all the vets want to flock to that team. There's nothing new with this concept, it's been this way for a long time :shrug:

I think his post was based purely on hate for the C's.:D

Kakaroach
02-21-2009, 05:37 PM
I think his post was based purely on hate for the C's.:D No, I'm pretty sure Joe Smith would love to go to the Lakers as well lol. Its true though, just think about P.J. Brown last year.

prodigy
02-21-2009, 05:38 PM
joe smith with ask for a buyout. then sign with the thunder... ?

GoatMilk
02-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Various media reports have tried to put Joe Smith in Boston and Los Angeles, but he is not seeking a buyout from the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"What for? Smith asked Friday when asked about a potential buyout. "Ive been here all year. Why would I want to do that now? Im (not) seeking it.

Via Oklahoman
Probably doesn't mean he wouldn't accept one, or does it?

what54!?
02-21-2009, 05:44 PM
he probably just wants to get paid this year

KB24PG16
02-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I think his post was based purely on hate for the C's.:D

yeah u caught me