PDA

View Full Version : Don't count on Marion being a go-to scorer

makebelieve
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
His points will mainly come off cuts, putbacks and alley-oops. Most likely he'll be playing the PF position for the rest of the season, considering he'll outrun most natural PFs and that it requires more skill to play the SF. Players like Marion don't really have the skill to create a shot for himself. He needs a play-maker like Calderon to accomadate him. Realistically speaking, Raptor fans don't count on Marion being a go-to-guy.

ink
02-18-2009, 11:06 PM
That's fine and good but we have this guy named Bosh at the 4. :)

JermanJaysFan
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
I was actually impressed with Marion's creation and dribble-drive on a couple occasions tonight...

ink
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
IMO it's our tendency to be all or nothing about some of these things. If a player's weakness is D, then according to us he plays NO D. If a player doesn't create MUCH, he gets dismissed as someone who can't create his own shot. We exaggerate. I think Marion is versatile enough to do a lot of things including creating his own shot. He'll never be confused with Kobe, but he can still put the ball on the floor and get to the rim.

More shats!
02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Miami fans said he could not get his own shat but he look pretty good doing it when he had the chance tonight.He is not going to cross you over but he has some nice moves and beign able to out jump people helps him get pretty good looks.

toronto_JazzFan
02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
well whichever raptor fans actually thought he would be our go to guy dont know what they were thinking, cuz everyone knows he isnt a player that can create for himself.

ink
02-18-2009, 11:17 PM
well whichever raptor fans actually thought he would be our go to guy dont know what they were thinking, cuz everyone knows he isnt a player that can create for himself.

Right on cue.

ink
02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
And I don't think Raptors fans are expecting Marion to be a go-to scorer.

We still need to acquire a SG who will do that. :pray: Some day ...

toronto_JazzFan
02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
but i must say he is a really good player but just because he cant create for himself doesnt mean he sucks when chris gets back hopefully when they face the knicks, then well c the real raptors in action

toronto_JazzFan
02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
i really want us to sweep the new york series then we might have a chanc eof getting to the play-offs

greg_ory_2005
02-18-2009, 11:21 PM
His points will mainly come off cuts, putbacks and alley-oops. Most likely he'll be playing the PF position for the rest of the season, considering he'll outrun most natural PFs and that it requires more skill to play the SF. Players like Marion don't really have the skill to create a shot for himself. He needs a play-maker like Calderon to accomadate him. Realistically speaking, Raptor fans don't count on Marion being a go-to-guy.

Who counted on him as being a go to scorer?

JermanJaysFan
02-18-2009, 11:21 PM
IMO it's our tendency to be all or nothing about some of these things. If a player's weakness is D, then according to us he plays NO D. If a player doesn't create MUCH, he gets dismissed as someone who can't create his own shot. We exaggerate. I think Marion is versatile enough to do a lot of things including creating his own shot. He'll never be confused with Kobe, but he can still put the ball on the floor and get to the rim.

That seems like a reasonable theory supported by a large body of evidence.

toronto_JazzFan
02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
And I don't think Raptors fans are expecting Marion to be a go-to scorer.

We still need to acquire a SG who will do that. :pray: Some day ...

which 1s are available?

greg_ory_2005
02-18-2009, 11:26 PM
which 1s are available?

I guess the Golden State guys would be on the block?

Murphy_Dee
02-18-2009, 11:34 PM
I guess the Golden State guys would be on the block?

If we could work out a 'Buike for Parker deal with fillers as recquired, I would be VERY impressed.

tjroihenu
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
I thought all his 10 points were from him creating his own shot?

Calderon is terrible at pick and rolls he's too slow..

clutchski
02-18-2009, 11:41 PM
If we could work out a 'Buike for Parker deal with fillers as recquired, I would be VERY impressed.

I really, really would be too. 'Buike's proved himself to be in the NBA (so has AP clearly, for longer) but I couldn't see that happening. GS loves the running game and AP is escaping from any running game he has with his increasing age.

clutchski
02-18-2009, 11:44 PM

The majority were eh, yeah. I enjoyed the fact he was across the board. I understand he played 40 minutes and only got 10 points, but the six assists AND the 6 boards helps a great deal.

Calderon is slow on the pick and rolls, we know his defense isnt the best. However, he still is very much the vision of this team.

Murphy_Dee
02-18-2009, 11:54 PM
I really, really would be too. 'Buike's proved himself to be in the NBA (so has AP clearly, for longer) but I couldn't see that happening. GS loves the running game and AP is escaping from any running game he has with his increasing age.

I was thinking GS would go for it more as a salary dump, because if they pick up Parker he comes off the books this summer and gets them about 4.5 mill to spend. But either way, 'Buike would be a steal, so I can't see B.C. pulling off a deal like this unless the Warriors are really desperate (even moreso than they appear).

Murphy_Dee
02-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Plus, GS already has Ellis, Crawford, Maggette, Azebuke, Morrow, etc... So many guards, might as well get rid of a couple, even if it is just for capspace (which could possibly help them land a big other than Biedrins, which they really need).

Halladay
02-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Do people actually think Marion was brought in to score? Come on now, he's been brought in because of his contract and because he's an elite defender and rebounds like a big man which is exactly what this team needs. He's a third option on offense on just about any team. If anyone is expecting him to score 20 a game then whatever they're smoking, I want some.

Bob_at_york
02-19-2009, 12:11 AM
I was actually impressed with Marion's creation and dribble-drive on a couple occasions tonight...

that is probably because he had a favourable match-up with Andy on him. He can take Andy.

muninade
02-19-2009, 03:28 AM
ill be the first one to admit, him being able to create shots for him self better then he did today. but might be team chem and all that stuff.

magikmc
02-19-2009, 03:37 AM
it's his first game... relax.. he wasn't going to go nuts in his first game..... when bosh is back he will play SF... Andrea will play C and Bosh PF... Marion can play SF, and played it in phoenix... He can play PF or SF.. Mike D'antoni use to call him the most versatile player he ever had. He can guard anyone you want on the court, which he will. If Bosh can use some of his passing ablity it will pay off with Marion, because yes, he is excellent at cutting to the basket. He isn't the GREATEST at creating his own shot, but he isn't the worst either. He can hit a 3 every now and again, hit some tear drops and jumpers too. He's an all-around player, i wouldn't worry about Marion. If everyone else on the team starts playing well Marion will fit right in.

jsumadchat
02-19-2009, 03:39 AM

DUDE!!!! i have been saying that all night. i was at the game and you get to see it from a different perspective when you've got a clear view of the entire court. marion's buckets did come off his own dribble, calderon was WAY too slow to react to marion's cuts, and jose continually fed andrea and JK EVEN when they were struggling, and he just never attempted to find him on a leak-out situation.

muninade
02-19-2009, 03:46 AM
well reality is we need to get some plays that run for marion right away, kinda hit a mallet on calderon's head that kinda stops him from thinking moon is still on the team and not to pass to the sf position.

ChongInc.
02-19-2009, 05:02 AM

i think calderon needs to step up into that role some time soon in order for us to win. even if he is making big dishes for big baskets, we need him to take it up a notch.
and he will...

codes238
02-19-2009, 09:18 AM
you guys are all trippin, marion is the piece we needed to make us a championship contender!

hopefully BC signs him to a multiyear contract next season, with a fast break point guard like calderon and a franchise interior player like bosh we're gonna own the league!

ramz.n
02-19-2009, 11:25 AM
nice to see how he and Graham don't settle for 3's...i think this might just work out in the end :D

snow22
02-19-2009, 11:57 AM
We missed marion on alot of cuts also didnt feed him enough in the post its like we r scared 2 give him the ball like we were with moon give him the ball joey had 3 times more touchs lets c wut he can do