PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Picks Mariners!?

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Griffey Chooses Mariners?
By Drew Silva [February 18 at 7:23pm CST]

WSB, an Atlanta-area television station, is reporting that the Ken Griffey Jr. has chosen the Mariners over the Braves.

John Hickey of the Seattle Post-Intellignecer has now confirmed it. Junior is headed back to Seattle.

^^^What in the heck man? Can you go lower than Plan Z at this point?

ugafan
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3917214

Ken Griffey Jr. is returning to Seattle.

Griffey
The future Hall of Famer informed the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday that he's returning to the city where he carved out a Hall of Fame career as a perennial All-Star in the 1990s.

Two baseball sources said that Griffey made his decision after two days of debating between Atlanta, which is close to his home in Orlando, Fla., and Seattle, where he's been a fan favorite since breaking in with the Mariners as a 19-year-old phenom in 1989.

Born a Brave
02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Im so sick of this.... People can defend the AJC, but man O'Brien has dropped the ball on this one. A couple days ago, I'm pretty sure he used the words, "Trust me on this one, the dude is coming here." I allowed myself to get pretty amped about seeing Griffey's sweet swing in Turner Field this year..... Oh well....

Braves83
02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Next!!!!!!!!

ugafan
02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Im so sick of this.... People can defend the AJC, but man O'Brien has dropped the ball on this one. A couple days ago, I'm pretty sure he used the words, "Trust me on this one, the dude is coming here." I allowed myself to get pretty amped about seeing Griffey's sweet swing in Turner Field this year..... Oh well....

I remember that.

DOB is full of ****.

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
There is no 'next'. It is Brandon Jones and Matt Diaz. That will be our LF for the foreseeable future. As Braves fans, we just need to accept it and move on.

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 09:41 PM
7:33pm: ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick has informed MLBTR that Griffey told the Braves of his decision less than an hour ago. He is indeed going to be a Mariner next season.

weebs
02-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Really sorry guys. Just horrible reporting on both Seattle and Atlanta's sides.

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 09:48 PM
^^^Ehh...no worries. Such is life. The Braves pick up, and move on. Griffey was not the missing link to a WS, anyways. He would have helped, and would have been really cool to see him in a Braves uniform, but oh well.

Born a Brave
02-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah.... You are right Weebs..... Too many journalists trying to be the first to report something, when nothing has been finalized.. I know these guys try to be first and want to climb to the top of their profession... But it is really frustrating sometimes. Apparently DOB needs better sources....

TomahawkChopper
02-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Really sorry guys. Just horrible reporting on both Seattle and Atlanta's sides.

Congrats to Seattle, I have no bitter feelings towards them or Griffey for that matter.

However I now believe DOB and AJC are complete trash and as a forum we should ban any information from either from being quoted here as a source. They are about as credible as the boy who cried wolf, instead theres never going to be a time that their are actual wolves there.

Zaunnie
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
oh for ****s sake...

ugafan
02-18-2009, 09:53 PM
DOB is a ****ing failure.

Chipper
02-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I find it queer that neither mariners.com or braves.com have reported this yet. Are we being pulled at again? Still, ESPN reported it I see. Screw Griffey. He played us like a pro. You don't call a team asking to play for them if your not going to sign. That's like cheating on your girlfriend. You don't call a new girl when your still with the old.

Talk about piss poor reporting and negotiations. I'm no longer believing everything I see and if DOB says it, do not believe it. That was flat out ******** on his part to promise something to so many fans if he didn't know 100% . How long has he been in the business?

jdolan74
02-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Seriously, who needs Griffey? He wouldn't have really helped all that much. I hope this means we get Garret Anderson who put up way better numbers than Kenny G.

weebs
02-18-2009, 09:57 PM
I find it queer that neither mariners.com or braves.com have reported this yet. Are we being pulled at again? Still, ESPN reported it I see. Screw Griffey. He played us like a pro. You don't call a team asking to play for them if your not going to sign. That's like cheating on your girlfriend. You don't call a new girl when your still with the old.

Talk about piss poor reporting and negotiations. I'm no longer believing everything I see and if DOB says it, do not believe it. That was flat out ******** on his part to promise something to so many fans if he didn't know 100% . How long has he been in the business?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090218&content_id=3846072&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

brandonwarne52
02-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Seriously, who needs Griffey? He wouldn't have really helped all that much. I hope this means we get Garret Anderson who put up way better numbers than Kenny G.

You were doing really good after the 1st sentence.

NickSC07
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Wren must have gave another cheap lowball offer. **** Griffey, he will always be a douche in my opinion. Like a previous poster said, you dont call a team and tell them you want to play for them and then go to another team. What a classless ****. He will prolly suck this season anyway and the Mariners will be in last place again. Have fun playing for a ****** team and making that 6 hour flight. As for DOB, the guy is ****ing worthless. Why is this clown a reporter? I agree we ban info from him and the AJC.

Chipper
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Lets trade Reyes, BJ, and Kala Ka'ahiue for Swisher already lol.

rtgthree
02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Two things:

1) This does NOT mean that the Braves are done looking for a left fielder. In case no one noticed, Nick Swisher still hasn't been traded, and there are other guys that are emerging as trade candidates. Jim Edmonds is still a free agent; likely cheaper than Griffey, a MUCH better defender, and even a better hitter vs. RHP. As long as we don't go goo-goo for Garret Anderson, I'm on board with lots of different options. Don't think the Braves will be content with Brandon Jones just because Griffey spurned them.

2) Cool out over the AJC. It was bad reporting. No, scratch that--it was AWFUL reporting. It'd be one thing for O'Brien to make comments in his blog, but the headline of the paper copy of the Sports section today was "Griffey coming to Atlanta" or something like that. It's inexcusable.

However, most of you are just emotional and not thinking rationally. If anyone says we just "ignore" the AJC from now on, that's BS. O'Brien scooped the Vazquez trade, the Lowe signing AND the Kawakami signing. He screwed up--BIG TIME. But that doesn't mean his reporting is no longer newsworthy.

All said and done, Griffey would have been a good solution. But this is not the end of the world, by any means. As long as Wren keeps searching for a new LF, all will be well.

rtgthree
02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Wren must have gave another cheap lowball offer. **** Griffey, he will always be a douche in my opinion. Like a previous poster said, you dont call a team and tell them you want to play for them and then go to another team. What a classless ****. He will prolly suck this season anyway and the Mariners will be in last place again. Have fun playing for a ****** team and making that 6 hour flight. As for DOB, the guy is ****ing worthless. Why is this clown a reporter? I agree we ban info from him and the AJC.

Puh-leeze. Give me a break. Players can call whatever teams they want, and don't think for a minute he didn't want to play in Atlanta. He just wanted to go back to Seattle MORE, for whatever reason.

NickSC07
02-18-2009, 10:04 PM
I didnt say they couldnt. I just think it was classless and unprofessional. On to Edmonds.

x15jordanx23
02-18-2009, 10:06 PM
from braves.com

Sources have indicated that Griffey's tide turned shortly after he became upset with the fact that The Atlanta-Journal Constitution was reporting that he'd already decided to play for the Braves

ughh

Chipper
02-18-2009, 10:08 PM
from braves.com

Sources have indicated that Griffey's tide turned shortly after he became upset with the fact that The Atlanta-Journal Constitution was reporting that he'd already decided to play for the Braves

ughh

Way to go DOB!! That's getting the players to go! Might have done the same thing to Furcal.

rtgthree
02-18-2009, 10:09 PM
^^^DOB will take some major fire for this one, as well he should.

x15jordanx23
02-18-2009, 10:09 PM
that upsets me that griffey would sway his decision over a news report.. seems like a cop out to me..

rtgthree
02-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Way to go DOB!! That's getting the players to go! Might have done the same thing to Furcal.

Come on, now. For one thing, Griffey didn't make his decision because of the AJC. For another thing, to try to throw blame on O'Brien's head for Furcal's situation. That's not only irrational, it's slander.

iam brett favre
02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
honestly, you guys should be happy..it was really for more marketing than baseball anyway

BRAVE KID
02-18-2009, 10:14 PM
from braves.com

ughhwell then chopper called this one I suppose. Props to him.

rtgthree
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Actually, Mark Bowman tells us exactly why Griffey went to the Mariners. His deal there is worth $2 million base plus a potential $4 million in incentives. That's more than twice the Braves' proposed package. That explains a lot.

sniglewhat
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
does griffey really need the money though? whats 2 mil to him. i think this comes down to making the decision to leave seattle. playing for the braves sounds better since we are better and its closer to home. but in the end, his heart was somewhere else.

i just wish wren would keep his **** under wraps. this is getting kind of annoying. and i dont even want the ajc anymore. papers are becoming obsolete anyway. especially ****** ones like the ajc

rtgthree
02-18-2009, 10:22 PM
i just wish wren would keep his **** under wraps. this is getting kind of annoying. and i dont even want the ajc anymore. papers are becoming obsolete anyway. especially ****** ones like the ajc

Wren keeps his cards closer to the vest than most GMs...leaks are inevitable, especially at spring training where guys like Chipper don't hesitate to blab. Like I said before, the AJC still scooped the Vazquez trade, and the Lowe and Kawakami signings (and the Infante extension, for that matter). Everything major that's happened...the AJC has picked it up first.

The Peavy deal was reported by Yahoo as being done, and the Furcal deal was reported by Ken Rosenthal first (and he's the best in the biz). So any disappointment that's been felt this offseason...this is the first time it's been caused by the AJC.

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Rtg is right. It seems pretty simple. For 6 million Griffey was no longer a bargain. Wren rightfully had no interest in pay up to 6 mill for Griffey. Seattle upped the ante. The Braves were looking for some one to contribute. The Mariners were looking for some one to keep interest in the team. The Mariners are willing to pay Griffey if he causes a 200,000 fan increase this season.

On a different (low-blow) note: I guess we really do know how much Griffey loves his family. ;)

And Griffey, I know your nickname is The Kid, but dude, you're 39, grow up if this is the real reason you chose the Mariners over the Braves:
"Sources have indicated that Griffey's tide turned shortly after he became upset with the fact that The Atlanta-Journal Constitution was reporting that he'd already decided to play for the Braves."

Be real with us. You chose the Mariners because they were willing to pay you $6mil where the Braves were willing to give you $2.5mil. It's okay. You are not the first, nor will you be the last player to choose an 'inferior' team for more money. It's cool. We understand.

ugafan
02-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Actually, Mark Bowman tells us exactly why Griffey went to the Mariners. His deal there is worth $2 million base plus a potential $4 million in incentives. That's more than twice the Braves' proposed package. That explains a lot.

I doubt money made a huge difference.

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 10:24 PM
The Peavy deal was reported by CBSSportslineas being done, and the Furcal deal was reported by Ken Rosenthal first (and he's the best in the biz). So any disappointment that's been felt this offseason...this is the first time it's been caused by the AJC.

^^^Slight correction, but your overall point is extremely valid and level-headed, as usual rtg.

Trust me about the Peavy thing, because that was the first thread I started here on PSD...the pain.

BRAVE KID
02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Whatever Griffey would of loved to have you here, would of made a nice platoon, but I guess you follow where you're heart leads you. I fine with that what I am not fine is you calling us and our superstar telling them that you would like to play for us. Why couldn't you just sign with the mariners in the first place when they offered you a contract, why did you have to prolong it then get us involved then stick us in the end?

So what a journalist jumped the gun, big whoop is that really enough to change your decision? I tell you what,I believe that is a cop out right there, he just flat out wanted to play for the mariners as rtg stated, we were just part of his game.

ahh I see now that money was your game, pshh douche. Nice game griffey, well played.

ATLien
02-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I understand that Griffey was probably not going to be the missing link to the WS but I also would have loved to see one of my favorite all time players while I was growing up play for my beloved Braves. Oh well

sniglewhat
02-18-2009, 10:27 PM
i understand that leaks happen. but i just dont remember this happening with JS. i just feel like they(the media in atlanta) were wrong on furcal, burnett, griffey, even peavy. and they didnt come close to catching the scoop that oh yeah, the most famous player on the team is going to boston.

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Whatever Griffey would of loved to have you here, would of made a nice platoon, but I guess you follow where you're heart leads you. I fine with that what I am not fine is you calling us and our superstar telling them that you would like to play for us. Why couldn't you just sign with the mariners in the first place when they offered you a contract, why did you have to prolong it then get us involved then stick us in the end?

Because the Mariners first offer was for $1.5mil with little incentives. By 'playing' the Braves, Griffey roped in another $4.5mil (potentially). Same thing with Furcal. I strongly believe both of them would have 'settled' for playing for the Braves, but used Wren's offers as leverage to get more money from their desired destination.

rtgthree
02-18-2009, 10:32 PM
i understand that leaks happen. but i just dont remember this happening with JS. i just feel like they(the media in atlanta) were wrong on furcal, burnett, griffey, even peavy. and they didnt come close to catching the scoop that oh yeah, the most famous player on the team is going to boston.

It wasn't just the Atlanta media that missed on Furcal...like I say Kenny Rosenthal broke that one first.

Burnett...I never remember reading DOB say it was better than a 50-50 shot.

Griffey...yeah, he F-ed up. Peavy...he said he thought it would get done, but never said it was actually that close (and he's got a blog where he's allowed to post his own personal thoughts).

As I say, I think people are just upset because they don't like being disappointed. I say too friggin' bad. Baseball is a business, so get used to it. From my personal point of view, I'm DEFINITELY glad Furcal and Burnett didn't happen. Griffey we can still recover from, and I even think trading for Peavy could have been a mistake.

As for Smoltzie leaving, no one got that scoop until the deal was actually signed. So, again, did O'Brien screw this one up? Absolutely. But this really is the first time he's truly reported faulty facts.

BRAVE KID
02-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Because the Mariners first offer was for $1.5mil with little incentives. By 'playing' the Braves, Griffey roped in another $4.5mil (potentially). Same thing with Furcal. I strongly believe both of them would have 'settled' for playing for the Braves, but used Wren's offers as leverage to get more money from their desired destination.Yea forgot to change that after I read about the money thing. It all makes sense, oh well moving on.

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 10:44 PM
It will be very interesting listen to the Griffey press conference. I hope someone has the guts to ask him a question like "Why did you play the Braves?"

I know it won't happen, but I will be interested to see if Griffey even mentions the Braves.

vtgriff09
02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
griffey pretty much said that he was upset with the AJC reporting he was going to atl, and that shifted him to go to SEA....there are some sorts of leaks coming out of the organization to the AJC, and it is causing the braves to miss out on players.....it needs to be taken care of.

Garret Anderson is not a better option than Griffey. He's a descent avg hitter that doesn't slug as high and doesn't have the natural power of griffey. Outside of the Steroid Era (2000-2003), same era where they accuse A-rod of increasing power, GA has not hit for much power at all. He averaged 30 hrs a year in that span......since testing in 2004, GA has avg about 16 hrs per year. Not the same natural power....not a 4 hitter

Chipper
02-18-2009, 10:50 PM

So what a journalist jumped the gun, big whoop is that really enough to change your decision? I tell you what,I believe that is a cop out right there, he just flat out wanted to play for the mariners as rtg stated, we were just part of his game.

ahh I see now that money was your game, pshh douche. Nice game griffey, well played.

It all makes sense!!!! How much do you think he paid DOB to post that story? :p

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm already breaking the new "Never post anyhing from the AJC and DOB" rule that has been imposed by Braves fans. I just thought this was a very mature response from DOB who (rightfully so?) is taking a drumming from people on his blog. There are people honestly threatening to KILL him if they see him because of the Griffey situation. It really saddens me to think I share the same fervor for the Braves as some of the morons. Grow up people, please?

Occasionally you’re going to take a beating from passionate fans for reporting something that doesn’t turn out as planned, and in this case what obviously makes it worse is speculation by Bowman that our story had something to do with Griffey’s decision. And I’m not blaming Mark at all for writing it, because I was standing there today when Frank Wren said the agent all but stopped communication with the Braves right after the story ran.

But we wrote a story that said Griffey told a close friend that he had decided to play for the Braves over the Mariners. We wrote it, because that’s what the close friend told Terry, who goes back a long way with them (Moore is from Cincy, like Griffey).

We did NOT write that Griffey had agreed to a contract, or that he’d even told the Braves he was going to sign with them. We wrote that Griffey told his good friend that he had decided to play for the Braves.

Now, as for the headline in today’s paper, I knew nothing of it until tonight, when someone at the paper informed me that it said “Griffey to play for Braves.” Folks, I’m in Florida, and I send my stories to the paper, not headlines. I have absolutely no control over headlines in the paper, only the headlines on my blog.

If I’d seen the headline last night, I would certainly have informed the desk that it was innacurate, and that none of us had written that Griffey was definitely going to play for the Braves. Again, we wrote that he told his friend that he’d decided to play for the Braves.

Now, if our story actually had any influence, if Griffey is actually flighty enough to change such an important decision, to go play across the continent after telling others that he was going to play for Atlanta in large part because of the proximity to his family … well, then I’m flabbergasted, if that’s actually the case. If he’d let his purported anger over that story affect his decision, then, well, that just seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Anyway, we wrote a story that said he’d told a friend he would be playing for Atlanta this season. Now he’s going to play for Seattle, and I’ll take a beating on the blog. But I’m a big boy. I can live with that. If we’d written something that was erroneous, if I’d written that Griffey had agreed to terms with the Braves, that’d be one thing. We did not write that.

And anything I said on this blog the past two days, about how I still believed he was coming to play for the Braves, etc., I clearly was giving you my opinion. Not stating it as facts, not telling you that this source told me he was coming, or whatever.

Again, I can live with the harsh criticism. Goes with the job, once in a great while when something like this happens.

rtgthree
02-18-2009, 10:54 PM
^^^Couldn't have asked for a better response from O'Brien. He was wrong, he knows it, criticize him if you like, but for THIS INCIDENT ONLY (not for what you think happened with Furcal or Peavy or Burnett). But there's absolutely ZERO reason to think the AJC never reports anything accurate.

MattColby
02-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Bad reporting all around. Good for the M's. Sorry Braves fans, you've been hosed twice now. You've still had a decent off season though!

BRAVE KID
02-18-2009, 11:00 PM
It's a **** up it happens, we took his opinion for a fact, of course when he is the best braves source for all of us, it is difficult for us not to, but still he has his case, we're upset, he acknowledges it. Griffey brought us into this, just to get his money and be reunited where his heart lead him to..bla bla bla. Griffey got his money, he's happy prepare yourselves for some major cop outs from him.

Eh, be tough braves fans you survived one of these this off-season, might as well keep surviving.

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 11:05 PM
I still like DOB:

A heckler: GOOD JOB Lying to your readers……you looser

DOB: Lying to the readers, that’s one thing. But I draw the line at being called a looser.

That's off of his blog. I can't imagine being in his position right now. There is a very fine line of wanting to appease fans and being 100% sure that everything is legit before you report. If someone like DOB was always the LAST reporter to report on a signing/trade/etc., I do not think he would be in the business for very long...

BRAVE KID
02-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Bad reporting all around. Good for the M's. Sorry Braves fans, you've been hosed twice now. You've still had a decent off season though!Not decent it is a good one, would be very good/great if we have gotten a LF to either platoon or start, but it's not over yet. I trust Wren, it's not his fault money is everything, he has to work with what he has, and if that is all he could offer to griffey then so be it. I still believe he will get us a LF.

BRAVE KID
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
I still like DOB:

That's off of his blog. I can't imagine being in his position right now. There is a very fine line of wanting to appease fans and being 100% sure that everything is legit before you report. If someone like DOB was always the LAST reporter to report on a signing/trade/etc., I do not think he would be in the business for very long...Everybody is going to get on him, AJC posters were already bad in the first place, this is just going to make it worse. He'll get over it, and they should too....now watch Wren shock the world with some unexpected move.:cool:

Thibs34
02-18-2009, 11:15 PM
I think its about time the Writers for the braves find a different job. They are a joke and they don't know when to keep their mouth shut. Once again they jumped the gun and scared our team away. Now we are sitting here with option to at every spot we looked for. Way to go writers.

brandonwarne52
02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
I think its about time the Writers for the braves find a different job. They are a joke and they don't know when to keep their mouth shut. Once again they jumped the gun and scared our team away. Now we are sitting here with option to at every spot we looked for. Way to go writers.

It was all about money, and Griffey won.

I wouldn't blame the writers at all, it's just the line Griffey is feeding everyone.

Thibs34
02-18-2009, 11:17 PM
give me a break. He said it himself

brandonwarne52
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
give me a break. He said it himself

What does he have to gain by saying it was about money? What does he have to gain by saying it was about the writers.

Give ME a break.

njbravefan
02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
it's not the end of the world, or even the offseason. We're right where we were a week ago before all the Jr rumors started, with all the same LF options still floating out there

brandonwarne52
02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah. Edmonds is > Griffey anyway.

Also, you're a week closer to spring training activities. Player's prices drop too....

Thibs34
02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
He doesn't have anything to gain from either reason and thats why he just told the truth. Our writers are trash.

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 11:23 PM

Since when did a player ever get upset with a news outlet, from a team that player was 'strongly' considering, suggesting/confirming that that player was coming to their team!?

What the heck did Griffey want to do? Sneak up on Braves fans, and yell "Boo!"?

Give me a break. Griffey more than doubled his salary for this year by convincing the Mariners (and the Braves) that he was strongly considering the Braves.

The ONLY reason Griffey got mad at the report that he was signing with the Braves is because he NEVER INTENDED TO SIGN with the Braves. However, when a news media outlet 'leaked' the story that Griffey told a 'friend' that he was going to sign with the Braves, Griffey realized he was up poop creek. Griffey got scared that his bluff would be called and the Mariners would rescind their offer, and Griffey would be 'stuck' playing for the Braves. That is why Griffey was so very adament about denying the AJC Report that he had signed with the Braves. Ever stop to think why Griffey didn't berate the Seattle columnist who wrote the same thing? Hmm? Do you think it was because Griffey didn't want to upset any media in Seattle? I think so, personally.

rtgthree
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
He doesn't have anything to gain from either reason and thats why he just told the truth. Our writers are trash.

Here's the thing: you're exactly the type of fan that would whine and complain if there was no news at all. David O'Brien publishes info from sources BEFORE deals become official, because that's what fans want. The consequence of that is that until the deal is official, it ain't done. So either understand that he's reporting non-official info or don't read the rumors. Simple game.

Do I recognize that he screwed up? Yeah, absolutely. But if you think he's "trash," that's just irrational ignorance.

Thibs34
02-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Actually I've never complained about no news. I definately would like no news rather than False news.

TomahawkChopper
02-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Come on, now. For one thing, Griffey didn't make his decision because of the AJC. For another thing, to try to throw blame on O'Brien's head for Furcal's situation. That's not only irrational, it's slander.

How do you know that, did DOB tell you that?

I hope his dumb *** gets fired!

Joe Smoe
02-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Actually I've never complained about no news. I definately would like no news rather than False news.

False news? DOB never stated it was a done deal! So in fact your complaining about something that is false! DOB said he felt like it was going to be done... but the only ones who stated it was done were the AJC editors. DOB does not write the headlines. So please get your facts straight.

You may feel like this one $1.5 million deal was a huge ordeal, but before you blow this out of proportion and slander one of the only two real writers the Braves have... please note this a 39 year old player coming back from a knee surgery. This is not Manny, or Swisher... but a platoon player. You should be more concerned with why Glavine has not signed... yet!

DOB is one of the only writers who provides information as it is happening dailey and sometimes even by the minute. He is not God, and is not all knowing, he simply reports what he hears and see's.

TomahawkChopper
02-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I just read his response and its full of untrue "facts".

He says the only thing he did was report that a friend of Griffey's said he choose the Braves and that he never said he agreed to terms and never that he said he was going to be a Brave.

Both of which are lies.

If you go back and read his comments throughout his blog page, he posted once that he was told that Griffey and the Braves had agreed to terms (he denies this in last response) he also when people were questioning him said something along the lines of I know a lot of you are getting nervous because it looks like the Furcal situation but dont be dude is going to be a Brave.

For those of you saying its a mature and well thought repsonse give me a break. If it was mature he would of at least acknowledged the fact that he and the AJC could of possibly affected his decision. Which he does the complete opposite by saying Griffey would basically have to be a fool to let it affect his decision, the least he could of said is if it did affect his decision he was sorry but he couldnt even give us that.

DOB to me now only means one thing Date of Birth, he no longer gets any recognition from me.

BRAVE KID
02-19-2009, 12:07 AM
yea man, it is not like money had anything to do with this. DOB is the true, full blown reason Griffey did not want to play for the braves..lol. I gave you props for calling it, since that was the only thing Griffey said, then I saw the dinero in this..it all makes sense...but no lets ignore that and just blame DOB for our frustrations, that is the way to go.

Joe Smoe
02-19-2009, 12:08 AM
How do you know that, did DOB tell you that?

I hope his dumb *** gets fired!

Honestly... do you really think a article would make a man work 6 hours away from home? Really? The pay increase from Seatle didnt make any diffrence? None at all?

Really?

Joe Smoe
02-19-2009, 12:11 AM
I just read his response and its full of untrue "facts".

He says the only thing he did was report that a friend of Griffey's said he choose the Braves and that he never said he agreed to terms and never that he said he was going to be a Brave.

Both of which are lies.

If you go back and read his comments throughout his blog page, he posted once that he was told that Griffey and the Braves had agreed to terms (he denies this in last response) he also when people were questioning him said something along the lines of I know a lot of you are getting nervous because it looks like the Furcal situation but dont be dude is going to be a Brave.

For those of you saying its a mature and well thought repsonse give me a break. If it was mature he would of at least acknowledged the fact that he and the AJC could of possibly affected his decision. Which he does the complete opposite by saying Griffey would basically have to be a fool to let it affect his decision, the least he could of said is if it did affect his decision he was sorry but he couldnt even give us that.

DOB to me now only means one thing Date of Birth, he no longer gets any recognition from me.

So he posts that he was told something!... This means he lied? No it simply means he was told something. Wow jumping the gun much?

Further.. good luck reading Braves news. How many decent Braves writers are there? DOB even if he had lied, creates about 3/4ths of the information you read about them.

TomahawkChopper
02-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Honestly... do you really think a article would make a man work 6 hours away from home? Really? The pay increase from Seatle didnt make any diffrence? None at all?

Really?

Either could of been the difference, but it was obvious Griffey wasnt happy with the constant trust me hes going to be a brave reporting that much we know for sure and he never backed off and now is pretending like he never said half of what he said.

Whether you believe its rational or not Reporting can affect things and it did.

TomahawkChopper
02-19-2009, 12:14 AM
So he posts that he was told something!... This means he lied? No it simply means he was told something. Wow jumping the gun much?

Further.. good luck reading Braves news. How many decent Braves writers are there? DOB even if he had lied, creates about 3/4ths of the information you read about them.

Wow apparently you dont realize the territory of that kind of job. When your a journalist "supposively" of his caliber and you claim an unamed source told you something your suppose to do some research and make sure its true. Especially when people are questioning you and say it might not be true and you go the extra level to assure them that you know he will be a brave.

Oh and dont worry I'll enjoy the other 1/4th then.

Joe Smoe
02-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Either could of been the difference, but it was obvious Griffey wasnt happy with the constant trust me hes going to be a brave reporting that much we know for sure and he never backed off and now is pretending like he never said half of what he said.

Whether you believe its rational or not Reporting can affect things and it did.

Oh? Now this sounds like you have the inside scoop!. Please tell us how you know it affected Griffey and made him want to magically take more money from Seattle a team that he will be wearing into the Hall of Fame?

Truth be told all DOB did was relay information he heard from friends of Griffey. So if he has issues with DOB then he should be watching his own circle of friends first!

Joe Smoe
02-19-2009, 12:22 AM
Wow apparently you dont realize the territory of that kind of job. When your a journalist "supposively" of his caliber and you claim an unamed source told you something your suppose to do some research and make sure its true. Especially when people are questioning you and say it might not be true and you go the extra level to assure them that you know he will be a brave.

Oh and dont worry I'll enjoy the other 1/4th then.

So your stating that he is not allowed to post his opinion then? You do realize he is simply posting a Blog? I guess opinions shouldnt be going on there?

He never went that extra level.. he simply stated his opinion and stuck behind it. He listens to rumors and passes them onto the reader. Sounds like he has one less reader now.. and that is good.. his blog is usually too laggy for my tastes as it is.

TomahawkChopper
02-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Oh? Now this sounds like you have the inside scoop!. Please tell us how you know it affected Griffey and made him want to magically take more money from Seattle a team that he will be wearing into the Hall of Fame?

Truth be told all DOB did was relay information he heard from friends of Griffey. So if he has issues with DOB then he should be watching his own circle of friends first!

I got it from the same source that told Dave Griffey chose the Braves.:D

Whether it affected his decision or not, the possibility that it could of (even you can admit its a possibility right?) is the problem. The thing is I would bet 95% of the people who read his stuff is only because of the Braves. So the fact that he would continually do something when it could possibly negativly affect them is selfish. What are his motives, so he can have the title for reporting it first. I mean even if the article was a mistake and didnt have his approval (yah right) he continued to make claims after it was obvious to everyone in the world regardless if it was true or not, that Griffey was not happy about it being reported right now. So why not back off then. After Griffey came out and said it wasnt true and he was upset. Why not then say something like maybe my source was incorrect or I guess we'll have to wait and see. No what does he do? He does the opposite and comes out and says "dude is going to be a brave". That is what im most frustrated about.

TomahawkChopper
02-19-2009, 12:30 AM
So your stating that he is not allowed to post his opinion then? You do realize he is simply posting a Blog? I guess opinions shouldnt be going on there?

He never went that extra level.. he simply stated his opinion and stuck behind it. He listens to rumors and passes them onto the reader. Sounds like he has one less reader now.. and that is good.. his blog is usually too laggy for my tastes as it is.

O come on you know that is not totally true, If he met you for the first time today and you told him there is a rumor going around that we were trading Kelly Johnson for AROD would he report that to all his readers. NO because he knows it doesnt have any credibility and that is what he is resposnible for.

Fury
02-19-2009, 12:32 AM
YEAAAA thats whatup im glad to see griffey back in seattle..i hope he gets number 24 again

BRAVE KID
02-19-2009, 12:37 AM
YEAAAA thats whatup im glad to see griffey back in seattle..i hope he gets number 24 againyea money talks.

Joe Smoe
02-19-2009, 12:42 AM
I got it from the same source that told Dave Griffey chose the Braves.:D

Whether it affected his decision or not, the possibility that it could of (even you can admit its a possibility right?) is the problem. The thing is I would bet 95% of the people who read his stuff is only because of the Braves. So the fact that he would continually do something when it could possibly negativly affect them is selfish. What are his motives, so he can have the title for reporting it first. I mean even if the article was a mistake and didnt have his approval (yah right) he continued to make claims after it was obvious to everyone in the world regardless if it was true or not, that Griffey was not happy about it being reported right now. So why not back off then. After Griffey came out and said it wasnt true and he was upset. Why not then say something like maybe my source was incorrect or I guess we'll have to wait and see. No what does he do? He does the opposite and comes out and says "dude is going to be a brave". That is what im most frustrated about.

I will be honest, if Griffey is willing to not play in Atlanta because of a article stating "that Griffey wants to play in Atlanta" then he has more issues then National Geographic. News is the news, this is Ken Flippen Griffey.. the Kid.. Jr. .. He knows about the spotlight. News will follow him no matter where he goes, that is part of his life and its part of why he makes the big bucks...further... its part of the main reason Seattle wanted him back.

So you honestly think DOB should avoid doing his job, and stating his opinion, and doing his craft.. just because some 39 year old, repeatedly injured, on his way out player couldnt handle that? Sure DOB could have laid off but he never did anything wrong. DOB only had great things to say about Griffey, before and after the event. Should he not post his good opinion about Griffey either?

AND... Yes I 100 percent believe DOB did not write that headline.. and not because he doesnt want to be blaimed... but because websites for newspapers are produced, and enginered by a web department, who edits layouts, headlines and keeps content including ads fresh. Further as he pointed out... dude is in FLA right now.

Joe Smoe
02-19-2009, 12:54 AM
O come on you know that is not totally true, If he met you for the first time today and you told him there is a rumor going around that we were trading Kelly Johnson for AROD would he report that to all his readers. NO because he knows it doesnt have any credibility and that is what he is resposnible for.

Sure you can attack the credibility of his source. DOB is a person within the industry, most of the time his sources are credible. Sometimes they are not. This is why DOB does not state them as Fact... unless it is.

The only time this causes issues is when others take opinions or his quoting of sources comments as a fact!

Further DOB would not be a respected sports writer if he didnít get most of his stories correct. He is also known to state many rumours with "in my opinion it should be completely disregarded, and would never happen".

BRAVE KID
02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Griffey opts for Seattle over Atlanta
Braves likely to look internally to help add power to outfield

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Ken Griffey Jr. campaigned for the opportunity to stay close to home and then ultimately decided to return to his original Major League home.
Thoughts of Griffey joining the Braves ended Wednesday night, when the veteran outfielder chose to return to Seattle and the Mariners fans who have adored him since those days when he truly was "The Kid."

"I think we knew acquiring him was a bit of a long shot, even though he was indicating that he wanted to come here to play," Braves general manager Frank Wren said.

Last week, when it seemed that he'd definitely sign with the Mariners, Griffey called Chipper Jones to talk about his interest in playing for the Braves. Griffey increased his campaign efforts by making sure Wren knew that he wanted to talk to him.

When told of Griffey's decision on Wednesday night, Jones was somewhat upset about the fact he felt he'd wasted his time while providing information that he felt Griffey was seeking in an attempt to land in Atlanta.

"It's just another person who shunned us," said Jones, while eluding to the fact that the Braves also felt they were close to completing deals to acquire Rafael Furcal and Jake Peavy this offseason.

The "shunning" provided by Griffey might have a more detrimental effect if you're of the belief that he could have been the power source the Braves were looking to add to their outfield mix. Atlanta's outfielders combined for a Major League-low 27 homers last year, and the club hasn't found the addition that it's been seeking throughout the offseason.

But because he's 39 years old and coming off offseason right knee surgery, some members of the Braves wondered if Griffey would have been able to supply the power that they're seeking. The veteran hit .272 with 14 homers and a .472 slugging percentage against right-handed pitchers last year, and .202 with four homers and a .350 slugging percentage against left-handed pitchers.

While the fact that Atlanta was planning to utilize Griffey in a left-field platoon might have played to his strengths, some Braves wondered whether the veteran outfielder would be given the chance to produce clutch hits in the late innings, when opposing teams likely would have chosen to oppose him with left-handed relievers.

Griffey seemingly had a positive meeting with Wren and Braves manager Bobby Cox at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex on Monday. At various times since then, there was reason to believe Griffey was going to end up in Atlanta.

But just when it appeared he might be nearing an agreement on Tuesday afternoon, Griffey and his agent, Brian Goldberg, ended regular dialogue with Wren.

"I think we all thought we had a chance to get him," Wren said. "But he never indicated that he had made a decision."

Sources have indicated that Griffey's tide turned shortly after he became upset with the fact that The Atlanta-Journal Constitution was reporting that he'd already decided to play for the Braves.

But Wren said the fact that the silence came after this report was published was purely coincidental. Griffey's decision was based on the lifetime opportunities that Seattle will provide him.

There has been some indication that the Mariners ultimately lured him to Seattle with the offer of a lifetime personal services contract. In other words, he'll have the opportunity to remain on the Mariners' payroll in the same manner that Hank Aaron has remained on the Braves' payroll throughout his post-retirement days.

Before the Mariners began enhancing their offer, it seemed the geographic advantages provided by Atlanta might outweigh the nostalgic benefits of returning to Seattle, where Griffey began his Major League career 20 years ago and spent the first 11 seasons of his storied career.

Griffey's Orlando, Fla.,-area home is located 20 minutes from where the Braves stage Spring Training and just a one-hour flight from Atlanta. While in Seattle, he's a six-hour flight away from his family.

With Griffey's decision to sign with the Mariners, Wren seems intent to give one of his younger outfielders -- Jordan Schafer, Gregor Blanco or Josh Anderson -- a chance to platoon in left field with Diaz.

Among this trio of young outfielders, Schafer undoubtedly has the most power potential. Because he missed 50 games while serving a suspension last year, the Braves might be hesitant to start him in the Majors. But the 22-year-old slugger has been one of the most impressive players during the early days of camp.

"Jordan Schafer is on a mission," Jones said. "He's the most focused guy in camp and he's certainly capable of doing things."

Wren will also continue to look for options on the trade market. There doesn't appear to be much interest in Garret Anderson or any of the other available outfielders on the free-agent market.

"We're happy to give the kids a chance," Wren said. "[Griffey] was just an option that we explored after he reached out and showed interest in us." braves.com

Joe Smoe
02-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the post BK. I know many are frustrated by getting the short end on a few dealings this off season... but wow head hunting gets started easy around here as of late.

BRAVE KID
02-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the post BK. I know many are frustrated by getting the short end on a few dealings this off season... but wow head hunting gets started easy around here as of late.not a problem, this is nothing compared to what AJC, or MLB.com posters do. I would never be able to post in those places, we are all frustrated it's normal, hopefully we'll all get over it.

GLASSMAN
02-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Man, this crow tastes like crap.....again.:puke:

Grifftiggs
02-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Sorry to the ATL

jbizzie10
02-19-2009, 03:56 AM
i dont see the reason for blaming dob for what griffy did! griffy played the braves! not dob! i dont even read the ajc that much and i can see that this isnt thier fault! very cowardly act by griffy to even mention the ajc! good job junior hope the extra few dollars makes u feel better about losing!:clap: class act my ****!

Greeklegend
02-19-2009, 04:06 AM
I know people are upset because this has happened again and one of our best sources took our hopes to a "drug like" high to a depressing low. I for one, was excited to read that Griffey picked the Braves when it was first published, and I was one of the many fans who WAS disappointed and a LITTLE frustrated that he signed with the M's. But after reading the article from braves.com and reading it again from BK's post, I am not mad at neither DOB (although, I think he will learn from this) nor at Griffey. The man was thinking about his family when the M's through in that "retirement" plan. How can you blame the man for that. Was he suppose to play for the Braves for their 2.5 mil for one year and call it quits? Or if anyone of you had families, you too, would pick the one where they would pay you for life. I know I would! So chill everyone, I think Griffey wanted to play for the Braves and was going to, but M's showed their appreciation to the man by offering that "retirement" plan and I can not blame the man for thinking about his family in the long run.

jbizzie10
02-19-2009, 04:18 AM
I know people are upset because this has happened again and one of our best sources took our hopes to a "drug like" high to a depressing low. I for one, was excited to read that Griffey picked the Braves when it was first published, and I was one of the many fans who WAS disappointed and a LITTLE frustrated that he signed with the M's. But after reading the article from braves.com and reading it again from BK's post, I am not mad at neither DOB (although, I think he will learn from this) nor at Griffey. The man was thinking about his family when the M's through in that "retirement" plan. How can you blame the man for that. Was he suppose to play for the Braves for their 2.5 mil for one year and call it quits? Or if anyone of you had families, you too, would pick the one where they would pay you for life. I know I would! So chill everyone, I think Griffey wanted to play for the Braves and was going to, but M's showed their appreciation to the man by offering that "retirement" plan and I can not blame the man for thinking about his family in the long run.
i would agree with you if griffy wouldnt have ask to play here and then after he made his choice he hide behind his decision and blamed it on the ajc. i dont respect that and i lost all respect for him.

jmtapia
02-19-2009, 05:19 AM
IMO the blame goes on AJC for delivering news that was premature. Griffey did great in coming out and saying that those reports were off. If anything Griffey would have probably signed with the Braves but for sure he couldnt mess with pissing off Mariner fans...that would have haunted him for the rest of his life...

BravoFan3736
02-19-2009, 07:14 AM
IMO the blame goes on AJC for delivering news that was premature. Griffey did great in coming out and saying that those reports were off. If anything Griffey would have probably signed with the Braves but for sure he couldnt mess with pissing off Mariner fans...that would have haunted him for the rest of his life...

DOB will get his share of blame but I don't think that it was the deciding factor though. I think it was reported that seattle had offered Griffey matching salary this year and a lifetime job in FO after his playing days are over which who in ther right mind would turn down to be set with job in the many years to come. You can't refuse that kind of offer than be a 1 and done in atlanta...Yes seattle are in rebuilding mold for 2-3 years till they will be competive but Griffey is looking after his legacy and not allienating his home team fans. He will draw in fans and will be viewed as the one who built Safeco park and not the one who decided that being closer to his family would be more important than being set for life with a FO job. Good for Griffey and maybe this a bless in disguise for the Braves if they can now go after a LFer via Trade not named Swisher/Nady. Edmonds/Anderson are the only other FA LH/LF Platoon type left could be had for 2-3 Mil though this would be a marginal upgrade in production from Diaz/BJones but we would keep the prospects. But I still believe FW will make trade at some point but will go into the season/ST with what we got and examine if a upgrade will be needed via trade. If FW feels that we need just a platoon position player and not worth trading for fulltime LF than I would to go with Edmonds for his Defense,decent Splits that he could offer, and that he could play CF in a pinch. Other possible trading partners outside the Yanks could be O's/Luke,Cards/Ankiel/Schumaker/Ludwick,Angels-Willits,Nats/Willingham/Willie Mo,Twins/DYoung could be potentially better fit than the current rumors of Swisher/Nady trade.

We have the prospects to trade but the value in return must justify in terms of $$, Terms, and meets the current needs of the team this year and beyond. After the Tex ordeal, I just can't see the FO trading anything short for a OFer that isn't young/Play Defense/Has Power and is controlleable beyond 09'. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth it since our window to win a WS would be 10'/11'/12' IMO...If nothing in a trade is worth giving up Gorkys/Locke that meets thoughs criteria than we should suck it up in 09' with Diaz/Bjones or sign Edmonds 1/2-3 and aim for 10' to bring up Rohrbough/Heyward/Gorkys/Kimbrel/Medlen/Parr/Valdez with Hanson and Schafer being already in the mix in 09'. Though we should be able to shop Morton/JoJo/Bjones/Prado to find a LFer....

We will see...

flea
02-19-2009, 08:00 AM
With the way the market is I'm not worried about going into the season with a LF platoon of Diaz and an internal option. Our left-handed bat in LF likely won't keep us out of contention and if it really goes to 08 levels of **** out in LF then we can address it before the trade deadline. Not only am I sure that quality trade options will be available for the least defensively challenged spot on the diamond but we'll also have the possibility of signing someone like Barry Bonds, Frank Thomas, or any other old FA at that time.

While I realize a Bonds signing is highly unlikely I wouldn't rule it out if the Braves are neck and neck with the Mets or Phils come July. I'd think a GM would take a .450 OBP out of his 3 or 4 hole any day of the week in a pennant race.

Ian.
02-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Sucks for Braves fans. Second time this has happened to you guys this offseason. I appreciate you guys being civil towards the Mariners and our fans on this site. I wish the Braves the best of luck this season.

Per MLBTraderumors.com

8:55pm: Jerry Crasnick has a clarification on the financial details. Street's numbers were just a bit off. Griffey can only earn $2.5MM in incentives -- up to $4.5MM altogether.

Not quite the $2 mil plus $4 million in incentives like previously mentioned.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/ken-griffey-j-4.html

GLASSMAN
02-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Sucks for Braves fans. Second time this has happened to you guys this offseason. I appreciate you guys being civil towards the Mariners and our fans on this site. I wish the Braves the best of luck this season.

Per MLBTraderumors.com

Not quite the $2 mil plus $4 million in incentives like previously mentioned.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/ken-griffey-j-4.html

You'll find that this bunch are true Braves fans but can appreciate a spirited argument without the normal vitriolic spew. Congrats on Griffey.

baseballislife7
02-19-2009, 09:42 AM
ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. This is how most players settle. He contacted the Braves and this made his offer from the Mariners increase. Classic move, I would have loved to see him play in Atlanta, but it isn't happening. This still doesn't change the chances of us winning. There are other people to be had if not let the KIDS play.

plastikman
02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Let's be honest here, Jr. doesn't belong in Atlanta, he is at the end of his career ( HOF career ) and he should end it where he started it. I know it doesn't matter to you guys, but if it was a player that came up with the braves you would agree. He has been a fan favorite in Seattle for many years now and he got to see that when he was here a couple of years ago with Cincinnati. Welcome home kid !

Sportfan
02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
wow this really sucks for the braves. first furcal and his agents and now this

Coach100
02-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Right when I saw Griffey Signed with SEA, I knew RTG would be defending his boy, DOB.Now before you get all hot and steamy RTG (and I don't mean in that bikini photo shoot sort of way), I am not saying that some of your argument isn;t true. You admitted DOB made a mistake, which he did. So that is good.

But let's be real. His apology was crap. First, who cares if he says fans can criticize him....they will anyways. They don't need his permission to. And he has no choice but to take it; espeially since he serves it.

Also, he relly took the crap way out on this. "I never sayed he signed or was gauranteed to come. I reported that he said he was coming. And what I wrote on a blog is my opinion, not the truth" (paraphrased for convinience) Obviously it isn't true, he is going to ATL. And saying people shouldn't take your blog as truth...what? That's like when famos people say they shouldn't be looked up to. He knows people come to his blog to read his material because that gets him more money for real jobs. If he is popular and respected he gets paid more. So while the blog is not a great source, it is clearly in his best interest to make it a great source. And he reported Griffey said he was coming so he would be the first to say Griffey was coming. I don't care who told him, he reported it. If it wasn;t for sure, than report it as a maybe, not as a report that he is signing.

Basically DOB never said he was sorry because he said he didn't do anything wrong. If he doesn't think he did anything wrong, then he doesn't believe he should be criticized. So his whole write-up is crap. He is basically sayong "I did my job and it wasn't accurate. That doesn't make me wrong. If youwant to criticize me fine, but I don;t know what for" That is not an apology, that is an explination.

My point to all this RTG is that you agree DOB made a mistake, even a big mistake. But he didn't admit to one. He said he did his job and didn't mislead anyone. So how can ypou be happy with his response when he didn't even acknowledge that he made a mistake you admitted he made? Oh yeah, MAN CRUSH!

bravefan4life
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
I hope after this offseason from hell that the Braves can go out there and show everyone what they passed up. If we can go all the way the feeling of justice from being used and abused would be sweet. Im not saying that all the players that chose not to come here made bad choices or were in the wrong, but they did choose not to come here.

Peavy, Furcal, Smoltz, Burnett, and now Griffey. Lets get Swisher and be a complete team. If we are staying internal than we should go get Ohman or not defer Glavine's money, or give Chipper a signing bonus and have him end his career here.

weebs
02-19-2009, 12:34 PM
For all who are so mad that Griffey scorned the Braves because of money, read this:

Harold Reynolds and Willie Mays had a lot to do with Griffey coming back to Seattle.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/stone/2009/02/18/say_hey_give_mays_an_assist_on.html

Too Big!!
02-19-2009, 01:44 PM
this has everything to do with money. you dont call a team and its best player saying you want to play for them and then turnaround and sign somewhere else. He had the opportunity to come here to win a championship and finish his career with a ring. But he chose to go back to seattle, a team that has no chance at winning anything... and for what??? a couple extra mil? Whatever. More power to you griff... you effectively leveraged your position with us to get more money out of the mariners.

WillBravesNY
02-19-2009, 01:55 PM
For all who are so mad that Griffey scorned the Braves because of money, read this:

Harold Reynolds and Willie Mays had a lot to do with Griffey coming back to Seattle.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/stone/2009/02/18/say_hey_give_mays_an_assist_on.html

So basically it was about Griffey getting a swelled head. Im glad he didnt come to the Braves he's beyond his years and doesn't have the skills he once had. Let him lose 100 games thsi year. Good choice. Welcome to the legacy of being a loser. Enjoy Seattle. You know what the thing that really pisses me off is not that he chose the Mariners. Its the fact that he had a deal on teh table for tehm and then he calls the Braves and says he wants to come there. Then he turnss around and goes to Seattle. Hes a douche period. There are still better players than him available.

weebs
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
It's about Junior doing what felt right in his heart instead of what his family was pressuring him to do.

FWBrodie
02-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Wow, what a bunch of whiners. If Chipper Jones left the braves for ten years and then was deciding between the M's and Braves heading into what was probably his final season playing ball, wouldn't you expect him as Braves fans to follow his heart and come home? Or would you believe that he only came back to Atlanta because they offered him an extra couple million? Willie freakin Mays personally called Junior to tell him he deserved to go out as a Mariner wearing the hat that he will forever be remembered as wearing. This isn't "about the money." Open your eyes.

GLASSMAN
02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Wow, what a bunch of whiners. If Chipper Jones left the braves for ten years and then was deciding between the M's and Braves heading into what was probably his final season playing ball, wouldn't you expect him as Braves fans to follow his heart and come home? Or would you believe that he only came back to Atlanta because they offered him an extra couple million? Willie freakin Mays personally called Junior to tell him he deserved to go out as a Mariner wearing the hat that he will forever be remembered as wearing. This isn't "about the money." Open your eyes.

So you don't think that a lifetime guaranteed FO job had anything to do with his decision. An offer that was made at the eleventh hour at that. Only Junior knows the real reason he decided to return and play for you guys. To dismiss money out of hand as a factor would warrant an eye exam for your self as well. Willie who? Is that the guy who does the Oxyclean commercials?:D

A_Brave_Pack
02-19-2009, 03:46 PM

^^^We've already had that happen to us this offseason...John Smoltz left us for Boston for more money. Griffey went back to the Mariners, maybe partly because of the legacy factor, but MAINLY for the money. The Mariners provided Griffey over twice what the Braves could offer. If you believe that money had no factor, then you need to open your eyes.

FWBrodie
02-19-2009, 03:51 PM
We're talking about $1.5 mil for a guy who has made hundreds of millions of dollars in his career. It wasn't "mainly the money."

brandonwarne52
02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Can you be sure he still has all of that money?

No.

bravefan4life
02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Chipper didn't seem to be upset or surprised over Smoltz, Furcal, Burnett, or Peavy. He did seem surprised and irritated by Griffey after what Griffey told him, and that Griffey asked for his help. That should say something about Griffey, and he is said to be friends with him, but he still wasn't pleased.

A_Brave_Pack
02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
We're talking about $1.5 mil for a guy who has made hundreds of millions of dollars in his career. It wasn't "mainly the money."

The last report I read was that the Mariners ALSO offered Griffey a LIFETIME role in their organization after retiring. Even if his salary is $1mil every year after he retires, I think the math adds up to a little more than $1.5mil. Was it 100% about the money, no. Was it 75% about the money, probably.

FWBrodie
02-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Could Griffey have gotten a job with the Mariner franchise after retiring regardless whenever and however he wanted? Yes. It wasn't about money, not 100%, not 75%, not even 50%. Another factor you guys are overlooking is the fact that he can play DH in the AL.

weebs
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I believe that report said "they might have offered Junior" that role to entice him. I've seen nothing that says he has that as part of the deal.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Right when I saw Griffey Signed with SEA, I knew RTG would be defending his boy, DOB.

He's not my "boy." He's a news reporter, and personally I like to have news over no news. So I read what he writes. Are there better writers than O'Brien? Sure...I would kill to have Ken Rosenthal covering the Braves. But let's face it, nothing I say or do is going to change who the Braves' beat writer is, so I just accept him and move on. I don't particularly like him and I rarely agree with him, but he's a source of news and I want news. If I ignored him, I would have less news and that's not what I want.

But let's be real. His apology was crap. First, who cares if he says fans can criticize him....they will anyways. They don't need his permission to. And he has no choice but to take it; espeially since he serves it.

So what if his apology was "crap"? What does he have to apologize for? For getting your hopes up based on bad reporting? Aww, poor thing...you got let down. He can report whatever the heck he wants, and it's up to YOU whether to believe it or not. It's YOU who is at fault here, because you CHOSE to believe what O'Brien wrote. Now of course there's incentive for O'Brien to tell the truth, because if he keeps screwing up he'll get fired. But ultimately the reader has to decide for himself what to believe.

So he definitely didn't do anything wrong. He can write whatever he wants on his blog. Here's why you are mad: you got all excited over Griffey, then you got frustrated when he went to Seattle. You're not going to blame yourself for being excited, so the logical target is the reporter (who made what a mistake with no malicious intent). Like I said to someone else earlier, most fans complain when they hear nothing...now they're complaining that they heard too much. Me, I don't get emotional about these things; Griffey's coming, that's great, but I'm not going to feel pain when he chooses to go elsewhere. And trust me, all the personal bashing of Griffey and O'Brien...that's just fans taking out their own frustration that the situation didn't work out the way THEY wanted it to. I say, too bad. Suck it up.

So how can ypou be happy with his response when he didn't even acknowledge that he made a mistake you admitted he made? Oh yeah, MAN CRUSH!

Because, frankly, I don't give one crap that he made a mistake. He can make mistakes every damn time he posts...then it's incumbent upon ME to take his track record into account when I use his info. Thing is, his track record (factually) is pretty good, so I see no rational reason to ignore him going forward.

Coach100
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I didn't say ignore him. But what did his "statement" tell us? That he didn't care he messed up? You always come on here and tell people to give sources, then tell people when they aren't reliable. A guy saying "dude, he will be a Brave" (blog or not) was clearly inaccurate and bad reporting. So this is a strike against him. No more, no less. But I knew you would defend him, which of course you did. I never said he was crap, just his "statement" about the inaccurate reporting was.

DOB has been accurate, mostly, and I will continue to read his stuff, mostly. But his "statement" is a slap in his reader's faces IMO. He basically says "I did a poor job, oh well. You shouldn't have believed it. I just report what I'm told and when it started to fall through, I backed it up with a gaurantee. But that garuantee can't be taken seriously because it was a blog. I can't stop you from complaining, so go ahead. But I just did a poor job and you have to live with that." Great statement. I would rather he just not make a statement or just say "I was wrong; clearly my source was misinformed. I did my best to give people this story accurately, but obviously some things changed. If I played a part in Ken's decision, I find that unfortunate. I believe my body of work speaks for itself in terms of performance. I will continue to do my best to bring reader's and fans accurate news as early as possible. Unfortunately when doing that, some mistakes will be made and this is one of those incidences". Then he at least owned up to the mistake and would make people feel like he gave a flip.

I guess by "crappy" I meant it was insulting IMO to his reader's. Some times a little saavy goes a long way. He showed know that, he writes for a living.

brandonwarne52
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
If Griffey really wanted to be in Seattle all along, why the line about the newspaper and whatnot?

I just don't get it.

ILikeThePhils
02-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Don't worry, the Braves will still have a good team.

Coach100
02-19-2009, 05:58 PM
And I didn't get wrapped-up in Griffey coming. I always figured he would land in SEA. So don't presume to know why I am annoyed. Yes I get excited about the Braves getting better, but it doesn;t make my day good or bad when something happens. I simply like to know. And I would rather have no news over inaccurate news. I would be perfectly fine finding out that the Braves made a move without ever hearing about it first.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
But what did his "statement" tell us? That he didn't care he messed up?

What difference does it make if he cares that he messed up? Frankly, I don't think he gives a crap if he messed up or not. And why should he? Because he let you down?

You always come on here and tell people to give sources, then tell people when they aren't reliable.

Exactly. That's consistent with my response here. I look at the source, and I decide if it's reliable or not. In my book, O'Brien is still among the most reliable of Braves' reporters (since he's effectively one of two).

A guy saying "dude, he will be a Brave" (blog or not) was clearly inaccurate and bad reporting. So this is a strike against him. No more, no less.

Exactly. It was inaccurate, it was bad reporting, all of the above. But there's no reason to be angry because the man made a mistake...you know, it happens.

But I knew you would defend him, which of course you did. I never said he was crap, just his "statement" about the inaccurate reporting was.

You mistake me. I'm not "defending" O'Brien. As I say, he messed up. He was wrong. I have nothing at stake for him. I care on two levels: first, it would be ridiculous if people on this board began to disregard news from the AJC (which people, if not you, have suggested we should do). Half the stuff we discuss comes from DOB's blog, and we'd be left severely short of discussion topics if we just ignore O'Brien. Second, I get annoyed with fans that get all frustrated with people in the baseball business because some situation didn't turn out the way the fans wanted it to turn out. So if I'm "defending" O'Brien, I'm defending him just like I defended Mike Hampton and John Smoltz and Ken Griffey Jr. Fans get irrational and seek scapegoats when they get let down, and that irritates me, since placement of blame ought to be a rational process. What is O'Brien to blame for? He made a mistake, which happens. For most posters, the crime for which he is guilty (whether they admit it or not) is getting their hopes up falsely. And that's simply not his fault, since readers have to decide for themselves what to make of news and rumors.

But I just did a poor job and you have to live with that." Great statement.

And what exactly is wrong with that statement? He did do a poor job, and we have to live with it. Truth. Plain and simple. He admits he did a poor job, and he knows there's nothing he can do to patch up your wounded heart. Live with it.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 06:11 PM
And I would rather have no news over inaccurate news. I would be perfectly fine finding out that the Braves made a move without ever hearing about it first.

Then there is a simple remedy for your plight: don't read the rumors or the news or DOB's blog. Any time you read ANY baseball news (unless it's an official press release) there is a risk that the news is inaccurate. If you would truly be "perfectly fine" not finding out about a move until after it happens, then all you have to do is put MLB Trade Rumors on "Block" in your internet browser. Trust only the "Official Releases" column on braves.com.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I would rather he just not make a statement or just say "I was wrong; clearly my source was misinformed. I did my best to give people this story accurately, but obviously some things changed. If I played a part in Ken's decision, I find that unfortunate. I believe my body of work speaks for itself in terms of performance. I will continue to do my best to bring reader's and fans accurate news as early as possible. Unfortunately when doing that, some mistakes will be made and this is one of those incidences". Then he at least owned up to the mistake and would make people feel like he gave a flip.

Also, I think he did say that his source was misinformed; or at least, that's implicit when he said that his report cited a friend of Griffey's via Terence Moore, and obviously that source was misinformed. He doesn't acknowledge the allegation that Griffey's decision changed over the article because that's just nonsense; there's little reason to believe Griffey would have changed his mind just because of a paper reporting a story. It's also implicit that he believes his body of work speaks for itself (clearly he's confident in his abilities), and that he's going to continue bringing readers accurate news (there's little reason to imagine he's going to quit doing this).

I don't see the difference between the statement you outlined above and the one DOB made. Even if you're right, why does he need to make people feel like he "gives a flip"? What difference does it make to us if he cares about us or not, so long as he keeps doing what we pay for (namely, reporting on the Braves)?