PDA

View Full Version : when can players play after trade?

Mr_Peabody
02-18-2009, 08:26 PM
is there a condition, or certain amount of time that has to go by before a team can play the players they acquired in a trade? i jus wanna know because i have tickets to the bulls & nuggets game on the 19th and wanna kno if the new players will be in that game.

NYKnickFanatic
02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I believe it's when the players pass their physicals. Not sure though.

TheChosenOne88
02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure, but I remember when Sheed was dealt to Detroit he played the same night he was traded and later had to come out of the game because he wasn't really allowed to play.

chicago lulz
02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm going to guess here and say they have to go through physicals after all the papers get signed and such. Can take a while, or can be really quick. I think they could be playing starting Friday.

Mr_Peabody
02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure, but I remember when Sheed was dealt to Detroit he played the same night he was traded and later had to come out of the game because he wasn't really allowed to play.

thx...hopefull theyll be ready by friday

Highlight
02-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I think the deal has to be confirmed and approved by the NBA first.

And then players from BOTH teams have to pass their physicals, or none of them can play. If physicals are not passed then the trading team can revoke the trade. Or they can still OK the trade regardless (Example: Cuttino Mobley)

There might be a little more to it, but I think that's the gist of it.

znick21
02-18-2009, 08:34 PM
can some clarify the rule on how long a team has to wait to trade a player after acquiring him? i've heard a lot of people say the team has to wait a certain amount of time after getting the player, but then i remember back in 03/04 when the hawks got rasheed wallace and traded him a couple days later.

basically what is the specific rule on the matter, if there is any at all?

Highlight
02-18-2009, 08:36 PM
can some clarify the rule on how long a team has to wait to trade a player after acquiring him? i've heard a lot of people say the team has to wait a certain amount of time after getting the player, but then i remember back in 03/04 when the hawks got rasheed wallace and traded him a couple days later.

basically what is the specific rule on the matter, if there is any at all?

You can trade that player by HIMSELF anytime right after you complete the trade.

The thing is, you can't package him with any other player(s) for a certain amount of time