PDA

View Full Version : 2005-2006 Philadelphia Sixers ...

JordansBulls
02-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Seriously how was this team not a contender in the east?

Iverson and Webber played 72 and 75 games respectively and Iverson averaged 33/7/3/2 on 45% FG while Webber averaged 20/10/3/1 on 44%.

they also had Iggy and a defensive minded center in Dalembert.

They had outside scoring, inside scoring, shooting, rebounding, shot blocking, etc.

The team finished 38-44 but on paper this team looks like at least a 55 win team. What didn't they click?

codes238
02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
cause iverson and webber are big stat playeras but they dont help teams win...

Bongalicious
02-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Iverson teams are always disappointing.

Hoopsadvocate
02-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Iverson and Webber played 72 and 75 games respectively and Iverson averaged 33/7/3/2 on 45% FG while Webber averaged 20/10/3/1 on 44%.

They had outside scoring, inside scoring, shooting, rebounding, shot blocking, etc.

The team finished 38-44 but on paper this team looks like at least a 55 win team. What didn't they click?

Same reason the Nuggets with Iverson,Melo,K-Mart, Marcus Camby didn't win. NO team Defense about as simple as that

The Answer3
02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Because Chris Webber was a bigger defensive liability than Allen Iverson. And thats saying something. Not to mention the gamewinning shots Webber missed.

da wood
02-18-2009, 07:54 PM
there you have it plus you got an old washed up webber

dre1990
02-18-2009, 07:58 PM
there you have it plus you got an old washed up webber

Thats getin 20 and 10 :rolleyes:

$KnicksAndKobe$
02-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Webber was old and just shot mid range shots, plus there coach sucked.

fanofphilly
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Because its Philadelphia......I love the city and all the sports teams but its also a love hate relationship at times too....Last year ended a streak that I was glad, proud, and in joy that we got off our back. Were always that "contender" team that never wins the big one!

The Answer3
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Thats getin 20 and 10 :rolleyes:

And giving up 25-30 on a daily basis. People often forget that the team was never really better with Webber in the starting line up. All 20/10 means that AI could play with another scorer. Another fact is that Chris Webber was never a great teammate in Philly. Sure he was with the Kings and back then he was athletic, and a great all-around big man. Webber never played with any heart, he was a pathetic defender, never got back on transition D and really his PASSING (something he was always known for) wasn't all that amazing. He used to take jack these 20 footers up. Iggy wasn't all that great back then. Sure, you can bring up AI dominating the ball and stunting Iggy's growth. But, even when Iggy got burn he only showed signs of what he could do but not on a consistent basis. Kyle Korver was there as well making big shots and playing D. Team wasn't all that great. Dalembert has one of the lowest IQs of a player in league history. Lacks fundamentals, can't score other than just dunk the ball. He'll get you 10 boards because of his athleticism.

Note: My post is mainly in general for everyone who brings up that 20/10. Not really directed at you.

COLH
02-18-2009, 08:39 PM
When Webber came he had that injury so he was limited. Iguodala wasn't that good back then and Dalembert too. They were'nt really playing run n' gun back then as they do now, since Andre Miller arrived.

Highlight
02-18-2009, 08:43 PM
As others have stated, Webbers knees were already gone. It's actually surprising how he put up those numbers during that time frame. He honestly changed himself from a great post up PF with a nice jumpshot to completely cutting out his post up game.

Webber also became a huge defensive liability. Nothing against Webber, but he lost a lot of his athleticism after undergoing knee surgery.

Chronz
02-18-2009, 09:08 PM
I cant recall a team that ranked 25th defensively winning 55+ games, but it was one of AI's greatest seasons, sadly Webber was a shadow of his former self, he put up 20 and 10 but it was a very inefficient 20-10 with porous defense. Look up his offensive and defensive rating that year and you'll have your answer. Theres a reason the Kings offense didnt decline once they traded him away. A chucker who does nothing but take away shots from better players isnt valuable.

pd7631
02-18-2009, 09:16 PM

You seriously hate me, don't you? This is just gonna turn into another bash AI thread just like your "can we confirm that Billups is better than Iverson" thread.

With that said....this team didn't work because as many people said Webber's knees were shot and he did all his scoring on elbow jumpers and got his rebounds because nobody else on the team could rebound.

Samuel Dalembert wasn't near the player he is now, which isn't saying much because he's still the most ******** player in the NBA.

The bottomline is that sometimes things just don't work out, and it's as simple as one or two players not getting along with someone or not buying into whatever the coach is trying to do.

My freshmen year in High School I had an awful coach, his attitude just made the whole team not want to play for him. The very next year we had a new coach and everything changed, we went to the playoffs and won 2 games and the guy did not really change anything from the last coach other than his attitude.

Now I'm not saying that it was Mo Cheeks fault that the team did not enjoy success, but my point is that something little may cause a team not to be focused enough to be successful.

JordansBulls
02-18-2009, 09:31 PM
I cant recall a team that ranked 25th defensively winning 55+ games, but it was one of AI's greatest seasons, sadly Webber was a shadow of his former self, he put up 20 and 10 but it was a very inefficient 20-10 with porous defense. Look up his offensive and defensive rating that year and you'll have your answer. Theres a reason the Kings offense didnt decline once they traded him away. A chucker who does nothing but take away shots from better players isnt valuable.

Yeah that was there biggest hurdle but they had a dynanic duo and rebounding along with shot blocking. It was amazing they didn't make any noise.

DR.J9
02-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Webber was terrible during his stint with us, Dalembert was never good, Iggy wasn't really fully developt, Iverson was a shoot first PG.

Thats why