PDA

View Full Version : The Spring Training Thread

bmurphy28
02-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Post all the news that you hear from spring training.

bmurphy28
02-18-2009, 02:27 PM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - All Rick Kranitz needed to see were three pitches from Rich Hill before he picked up the bullpen phone to call Chicago Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild.

"I saw a couple of pitches, and I said, 'Whoa.' I called down to the dugout and said, 'Hey, Larry, you might want to come down and see this, because this is unbelievable,'" said Kranitz, then the Cubs' Triple-A pitching coach. "After the game, Larry came over and watched him. And he was like, 'Oh my gosh, we don't have a guy that throws that kind of breaking ball on our team right now.'"

Hill, a fourth-round draft pick out of the University of Michigan a couple of years earlier, had been summoned to the major league club that day to serve as an emergency backup for a spring training game. When it became clear that the young left-hander wouldn't be needed in the game, he started the bullpen session.

That year, Hill, armed with the devastating curveball, struck out 194 batters in 130 2/3 minorleague innings. Two seasons later, he won 11 games for the Cubs and was fifth in the National League with 183strikeouts.

Now, just a little more than a year after being labeled one of the best young pitchers in baseball, Hill is in the Orioles' camp, looking to stay healthy, earn a rotation spot and erase the memories of a brutal 2008 season in which the left-hander went from a Cubs rotation fixture to pitching in Rookie-level ball.

"People get the misconception that this has been going on for a long time when it's like, no, a year ago, I was one of the top five pitchers in the National League," Hill said yesterday. "People who understood will say: 'He was right there a year ago. He just needs to get healthy and get back on track.' It's what have you done for me lately in this game, or with anything. That's the way it should be, especially for starting pitching. You have to go out there and perform every time you take the ball."

With nothing to lose, several open rotation spots and a nice support system in place that includes several former Cubs coaches and executives, the Orioles acquired Hill this month for future considerations. Hill is out of options and wasn't going to make the Cubs' Opening Day roster, and Chicago had tired of waiting for him to find his command that completely disappeared over the past year.

He walked just 63 batters in 195 innings in his breakout 2007 campaign, but he made just five starts for the Cubs last year before being sent to the minors after issuing 18 walks in 19 2/3 innings. In the minors, Hill walked 44 batters in 47 2/3 innings at three levels, including a stint with the Cubs' Rookie-level team.

His control problems led to speculation that Hill had followed in the footsteps of Rick Ankiel and become the latest pitcher to contract "Steve Blass Disease," named after the former Pittsburgh Pirates starter who lost the ability to throw strikes. Kranitz dismissed that theory, as did Hill, who maintains that his season-long control problems were the result of a back problem and then shoulder tendinitis.

"I don't know the situations with those guys, but for me, it was physical," said Hill, 28. "Obviously, your confidence suffers when you're not throwing the ball where you want it to be, but I wasn't throwing the ball where I wanted to throw it because my back was bothering me really, really bad. I was in pain; I couldn't finish pitches."

Hill said the back pain forced him to abandon his regular release point and resulted in his mechanics getting out of whack. He acknowledged his familiarity with Kranitz, the Orioles' pitching coach, and Alan Dunn, the team's bullpen coach, made Baltimore the ideal spot if he were to be traded from the Cubs. Kranitz was Hill's pitching coach at Triple-A Iowa in 2005, and Dunn coached Hill at Double-A Tennessee in 2005 and Iowa in 2006. Those were the seasons in which Hill took huge steps toward the majors.

"I think everything clicked for him," Dunn said. "He was very comfortable with his mechanics, and he could repeat his delivery. He was just locked in."

Knowing Hill's problems last year, the Orioles are being cautious with the pitcher, hoping their approach helps him regain some confidence. Manager Dave Trembley said yesterday that Hill would have to pitch his way out of the rotation to not make the club.

"Obviously, we're aware of what his background has been, but I try to stay away from the obvious and not bring those things up to him and draw attention to it," Trembley said. "It's a new start. He's getting an opportunity with a club that feels very good about having him here."

Hill got off to a rocky spring start yesterday, making errant tosses to first base on his first two throws of pitcher fielding practice. However, in his bullpen session later in the day, Hill drew praise from Trembley and Kranitz.

"I definitely learned a lot from last year," said Hill, who maintains he's healthy. "If I didn't learn anything from last year, it's something that is doomed to possibly repeat itself. The health, the success and the confidence, it's all a big puzzle you want to put together. I'm definitely excited to be here."

baltimore sun

tymonic1
02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
(i was about to start this same thread)...trembely says brad hennesy is most impressive pitcher who threw today.Roch picked him to crackk the rotation (about a month ago)

bmurphy28
02-19-2009, 11:19 AM
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Aubrey Huff gripped a bat and a ball for the first time since late September yesterday, hoping that months of inactivity again result in one of the finest offensive seasons in the American League.

Huff, who reported to Fort Lauderdale Stadium yesterday with a bleached blond hairdo and several new tattoos, acknowledged his offseason preparation basically amounted to his doing very little. And that was by design.

After the 2007 season, Huff had hernia surgery, which prevented him from doing any baseball-related activity until he arrived at spring training. All he did last season was hit .304 with 32 homeruns and 108 RBIs. That's why this year, he decided he might as well stick with what works.

"I just tried to do as much as I can like I did last year," Huff said.

Huff, 32 and the Orioles' likely everyday first baseman, said he feels no pressure to duplicate his strong 2008 season, even though he's entering the final year of his contract.

"I don't really believe in pressure too much," Huff said. "I just go out there and play, and if the numbers come, they come. I think pressure is pretty worthless, really. … I'm looking forward to playing a little firstbase. I seem to do well DH-ing, but, in all honesty, it does get kind of tired at times. You sit and watch your teammates go out there and play the full game while you're just sitting there rotting a little bit."

Huff said he has had no talks about a contract extension with Orioles president Andy MacPhail, though he'd certainly be willing to listen.

"I think I may have run out of Tampa too early," Huff said. "I had been in Tampa for six straight years of losing, losing, losing, and it was time to get out of there. And then I leave there and they start getting good. I would hate for that to happen here

balt. sun

bmurphy28
02-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Pitcher Mark Hendrickson has also been held out of some conditioning drills because of hip soreness. … Reliever Kam Mickolio had to leave the field with cramps. … Infielders Cesar Izturis and Ty Wigginton reported to camp yesterday. … Nonroster right-hander Scott Chiasson was held out of yesterday's workout because he was ill.

balt. sun

bmurphy28
02-19-2009, 11:21 AM
The Orioles are being cautious with All-Star reliever George Sherrill, who tweaked his left hamstring this week. Sherrill, who had the same injury last year early in camp, is being held out of some conditioning drills, though it has not affected his throwing.

"It's just a tight hamstring, like I always have," Sherrill said. "I think it's the same one as last year. Something always goes wrong in spring. It's good to get it out of the way early. These things happen. It's not something I'm too worried about

balt. sun

wizind33
02-21-2009, 05:49 PM
With all respect...I wish Guthrie stayed with the O's instead of playing in the WBC.
I understand it's an honor to be on team USA. Just remember last time we had a
bunch of guys gone from camp and I think the whole team suffered from it. We lost
team chemistry and had a few pitchers go down and had to play catch-up. I wish him
the best, but I'd rather have him with rest of the team during the spring.

tymonic1
02-22-2009, 12:04 AM
With all respect...I wish Guthrie stayed with the O's instead of playing in the WBC.
I understand it's an honor to be on team USA. Just remember last time we had a
bunch of guys gone from camp and I think the whole team suffered from it. We lost
team chemistry and had a few pitchers go down and had to play catch-up. I wish him
the best, but I'd rather have him with rest of the team during the spring.

I guess for me, I think it's all good, Guthrie gets his prep innings in at WBC, and it gets guys at camp a few more innings.... we have alot of guys to evaluate

bmurphy28
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Felix Pie's visa issues mean he still hasn't reported to Orioles camp and manager Dave Trembley admitted the length of the absence has become worrisome.

The O's had been planning to give Pie every chance to win the starting left field job but the longer he's held up the further behind everyone else he is going to be once he arrives. "It's getting to the point where it is important for him to get here," Trembley said. "We're going to start playing games, and I want to get him acclimated to his new teammates and the coaching staff. I'll feel a whole better when he gets here." The Orioles hope to finally hear some news about Pie's status today since the U.S. consulate in the Dominican Republic was closed over the weekend.

Source: Baltimore Sun

bmurphy28
02-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Upon arriving at Orioles camp, Melvin Mora offered gaudy predictions for his 2009 season.

".340, 20-plus and 100-plus, and help the team win," Mora said. He didn't mention that .340 would be 55 points higher than he hit last season.

baltimore sun

bmurphy28
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
According to MASN Online, left-hander Brian Matusz will start the Orioles' first spring game Tuesday against Team Italy.

Troy Patton, Brad Bergesen, Chris Tillman, Jake Arrieta, Wilfrido Perez, David Hernandez and Jim Hoey also are supposed to pitch. Matusz was the club's first round draft pick in 2008 and is expected to open the season at high Single-A.

Source: MASN

bigity b
02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
@bmurph - thanx for constant posting of new updates...

wizind33
02-23-2009, 10:41 PM
cool thanks for keepin us advised...1st 5 guys would be nice to see them get out
of the gate strong

bmurphy28
02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
no problem guys

bmurphy28
02-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Felix Pie has cleared up his visa issues in the Dominican Republic and is on his way to Orioles camp.

Pie is expected to arrive Tuesday morning and could be practicing shortly thereafter. All he needs to do is take a physical.

bmurphy28
02-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Felix Pie arrived in Orioles camp Tuesday after being delayed for six days due to visa issues.

Every indication is that the Orioles will give Pie a legitimate chance to claim the starting job in left field, perhaps in a platoon with Ryan Freel. The Cubs gave up on Pie after 260 poor at-bats, but he still has plenty of long-term potential and makes for a nice late-round target in AL-only leagues this season.

bmurphy28
02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Brad Hennessey left Wednesday's game due to soreness in his right elbow.

His bid for a rotation spot might already have come to an end. Hennessey threw 32 pitches before coming out of today's start in the second inning.

Source: MASN Sports

bmurphy28
02-25-2009, 05:37 PM
update from the game...

Utility man Ryan Freel made a successful spring debut with the Orioles, contributing a double, a single, a stolen base and a run scored. Center fielder Adam Jones walked, stole a base and scored a run, but he also struck out twice. Ty Wigginton, Oscar Salazar and Robby Hammock all drove in runs.

orioles.com

bmurphy28
02-25-2009, 05:37 PM
The injury bug hit the Orioles as well, with starter Brad Hennessey getting four outs before suffering soreness in his right elbow. Chris Waters took the ball from him and allowed three hits and one earned run, while David Pauley retired just one batter and was charged with four earned runs.

orioles.com

bmurphy28
02-25-2009, 05:38 PM
next game...

The Orioles will face the Cardinals at Fort Lauderdale Stadium on Thursday at 1:05 p.m. ET, and Danys Baez will be matched up against Kyle Lohse.

orioles.com

tymonic1
02-26-2009, 12:41 AM
FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. - Recently acquired left-hander Rich Hill is progressing in his comeback from command issues in 2008, and he was throwing so well during his batting practice session yesterday that reserve catcher Guillermo Quiroz couldn't restrain his enthusiasm.

"That's the best left-handed stuff I've ever seen," Quiroz said.

source balt sun

tymonic1
02-26-2009, 12:42 AM
check out roch's blog @ masnsports.com...he's doing an awesome job inning by inning

bigity b
02-26-2009, 12:51 PM
I heard Freel and Jones are really tearing it up. Granted it was the first game, but they came out of the gates fast and Pie isnt necessarily guaranteed a starting spot. This type of competition is great!

bigity b
02-26-2009, 12:59 PM
ps - did y'all hear that Tejada opted out of the WBC because his team asked him to play 1B. Apparently he's lost so much range at SS to be effective, they want him to make the position switch to which he said no. ...

tymonic1
02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
I heard Freel and Jones are really tearing it up. Granted it was the first game, but they came out of the gates fast and Pie isnt necessarily guaranteed a starting spot. This type of competition is great!

Nolan Reimold hit the Orioles' second two-run homer in the second inning, lining a shot over the left-field fence after Chad Moeller walked.
Nolan Reimold blooped a two-run single into right field. Reimold has four RBIs.

masn

tymonic1
02-26-2009, 03:32 PM
sweet lou had a couple outfield assists yesterday and made a sweet diving catch..think he's showing e1 he can play D....i'd hate to see these two light it up only yo have pie get the spot because he's out of options

Matt Albers breezed through the fourth inning, throwing eight of his 10 pitches for strikes.
Matt Albers gave the Orioles two scoreless innings. velocity was outstanding

Lou Montanez doubled into right-center field in the fourth inning.

Scott Moore hit a three-run homer in the sixth inning, the ball landing halfway up the bleachers in right field, to increase the Orioles' lead to 10-2.

masn.

tymonic1
02-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Alberto Castillo threw two scoreless innings, retiring six of the seven batters he faced,
Ray was tremendous. He got two fly balls and struck out Chris Duncan on an off-speed pitch. Duncan was way out in front of it. Ray threw nine pitches, five for strikes.

bigity b
02-26-2009, 05:32 PM
If Lou keeps this up, you gotta believe Scott will be moved. We'll keep Pie to give him a shot, and Freel is valuable as a hard-working presence plus a back-up at just about every position... I liked Scott too and didnt understand why the Astros gave up on him. Now, because of the numbers game, add the O's to that list.

tymonic1
02-26-2009, 07:26 PM
imo...If anyone is moved it won't be until August, and then it could be a number of players,Scott, huff, wiggy, who knows....reimold will be at aaa,montanez will be there,if they rake they'll be on the team next year.Only if someone is injured will we see either of them in b-more until rosters expand.

tymonic1
02-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Uehara retired the first three batters he faced.threw 12 pitches (most of them fastballs), eight for strikes.For the game, he threw 33 pitches, 22 for strikes.
Matt Wieters doubled, advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on a Chris Gomez grounder,
Mark Hendrickson went two innings, allowing one earned run (three total) and five hits, walking none and striking out one. He was aided by center fielder Felix Pie, who cut downJohn Raynor at the plate to end the fourth after John Baker singled with two outs. Raynor reached on Jolbert Cabrera's throwing error.
hayden Penn threw two scoreless innings, allowing two hits and striking out three
Jake Arrieta retired the three batters he faced in the seventh on two grounders and a called third strike.
The Orioles rallied in the ninth inning, but Marlins right-hander Brian Sanches struck out Nolan Reimold and Lou Montanez to strand the tying run at second base and give Florida a 3-2 victory.

masn

bmurphy28
03-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Adam Jones has missed two straight spring games because of tightness in his right forearm.

Jones doesn't think it's too serious and expects to be back on the field shortly. "I'm not concerned," he said Saturday morning. "I'll be back in a couple days. You don't need to be alarmed by it."

Source: MASN Online

bmurphy28
03-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Brad Hennessey, who developed a sore elbow during Wednesday's exhibition opener, received a cortisone shot on Saturday.

Odds are that Hennessey won't resume pitching in games for a couple of weeks, which severely damages his chances of winning a rotation spot.

Source: MASN Sports

bmurphy28
03-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Rich Hill was scratched from his scheduled start Sunday because of stiffness in his left elbow.

"It's just precautionary," said Hill. "We're going to wait another day. Everything's fine, though. I threw [Saturday], played catch. There's no real big concern." With such a long spring training this year, there's no need to worry about missed starts in early March.

Source: Orioles.mlb.com

bmurphy28
Orioles signed RHP Adam Eaton to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

It's doubtful that Eaton will have a rotation spot coming out of camp, but he does qualify as more depth for a pitching staff short on experience. Eaton went 4-8 with a 5.80 ERA for the Phillies last season.

roto

bmurphy28
In his spring debut, Troy Patton on Sunday allowed two runs and three hits in an inning against the Nationals.

Patton, who came over in the Miguel Tejada deal, missed all of 2008 due to a torn labrum. He'll begin this year in the minors, but he might be an option for Baltimore's rotation come June.

roto

bmurphy28
03-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Matt Wieters went 2-for-3 and launched a two-run homer off Garrett Mock to lead the Orioles to a 7-5 win over the Nationals on Sunday.

Wieters is 3-for-7 with a double, a walk and no strikeouts so far. He's far and away the Orioles' best catcher offensively and he might be the top defender as well, but for financial reasons, he'll spend April and most of May tearing up the International League.

roto

x the game x
03-02-2009, 07:41 PM
imo...If anyone is moved it won't be until August, and then it could be a number of players,Scott, huff, wiggy, who knows....reimold will be at aaa,montanez will be there,if they rake they'll be on the team next year.Only if someone is injured will we see either of them in b-more until rosters expand.

i want reimold to be given a chance to play

bmurphy28
03-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Manager Dave Trembley said on Sunday that Brad Hennessey (elbow) and John Parrish (shoulder) won't be healthy enough to secure spots in the Opening Day starting rotation.

Hennessey appeared to have a good shot prior to his injury, but now it's unclear when he or Parrish will take the mound again. "I'm not going to talk about them anymore because I couldn't tell you when they're going to pitch," Trembley said. "There's no sense of urgency now to get them out there."

bmurphy28
03-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Mark Hendrickson (back) threw batting practice on Sunday.

It's not currently clear when he'll get back into a game, but manager Dave Trembley appears to be considering using Hendrickson in a middle relief role rather than as a starter. "We need to get him stretched out, because if he is in the bullpen for us, he's a long guy," Trembley said.

wizind33
03-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I never viewed Hendrickson a starter anyway...maybe spot start here or there

bmurphy28
03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Koji Uehara suffered a strained left hamstring Sunday and will have his next start pushed back.

Uehara tweaked his hamstring while covering first base. "He probably will be backed up from the next time he pitches two or three days," manager Dave Trembley said. "I think instead of him pitching on five [days' rest], it probably will be seven. The report I got last night is nothing to be concerned about."

roto

bmurphy28
03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Pitching coach Rick Kranitz said Tuesday that Matt Albers is out of the mix for a rotation spot and will begin the season in the Orioles' bullpen if he makes the team.

Albers is trying to pitch through a torn labrum and the team is uncertain whether he'll be able to handle a starter's workload. He had a 2.63 ERA in 37 2/3 innings of relief last season and is better suited for a bullpen role long term, although the Orioles are definitely in need of rotation help.

bmurphy28
03-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Albers should make the team, IMO

bigity b
03-11-2009, 01:13 PM
So Albers will take Hendrickson's spot in the rotation until he decides to have surgery mid-season?

side note: did anyone see the SI article praising the O's for having so many pitchers in ST?

bmurphy28
03-11-2009, 02:49 PM
So Albers will take Hendrickson's spot in the rotation until he decides to have surgery mid-season?

side note: did anyone see the SI article praising the O's for having so many pitchers in ST?

no,do you have a link?

x the game x
03-11-2009, 04:34 PM
every box score ive seen has matusz doing really well

bigity b
03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
no,do you have a link?

"The Orioles brought 37 pitchers to camp. Thirty-seven! The cast is so large that ace Jeremy Guthrie joked that the team encouraged him to play in the World Baseball Classic so they could divvy up his innings to some of the other 36 pitchers. This is exactly what a rebuilding team should do: restock the system with power arms (the trades of Miguel Tejada and Erik Bedard were designed with just that in mind) and take every low-risk flier you can, such as Rich Hill, a left-hander who could not find the plate last year but has some big-league success on his resume. Baltimore is sitting on a decent inventory of pitching prospects. You're not likely to see many real results on the big-league level this year, but you may get some hints."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/tom_verducci/03/03/orioles.postcard/index.html

bmurphy28
03-13-2009, 02:41 PM
According to the Baltimore Sun, manager Dave Trembley has told George Sherrill that "he would still be the club's closer but wouldn't get every save opportunity."

Chris Ray will be worked back into the late-inning mix and if healthy figures to eventually unseat Sherrill, but it remains to be seen how quickly he comes back from elbow surgery. "I don't think it would be a good idea to throw me right into the closer's role," Ray said. "And it wouldn't be fair to George. George had a great season last year, and I haven't done anything in a year. So I am more than happy with it."

bmurphy28
03-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Ray is a good team player

bigity b
03-13-2009, 02:45 PM
thats the type of attitude and culture this team needs. good stuff.

bmurphy28
03-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Rich Hill (elbow) won't be ready to join the Orioles' rotation at the start of the season.

As a result, Mark Hendrickson could potentially open the season in the rotation, but manager Dave Trembley has yet to commit to who will occupy the vacant spot until Hill is ready.

Source: masnsports.com

bmurphy28
03-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Orioles optioned OF Nolan Reimold, RHP Brad Bergesen and LHP Wilfredo Perez to Triple-A Norfolk; reassigned 1B Brandon Snyder, RHP Andy Mitchell and SS Blake Davis to Minor League camp.

Reimold thoroughly outplayed Felix Pie by hitting .321/.406/.750, but he has options left and Pie doesn't. Bergesen made his case for a rotation spot by posting a 3.09 ERA and an 11/1 K/BB ratio in 11 2/3 innings, but the Orioles will give chances to more experienced pitchers first. He'll probably get his opportunity come May or June.

roto

bmurphy28
03-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Orioles manager Dave Trembley indicated Saturday that Alfredo Simon is in the running, and getting serious consideration, for a rotation spot.

Simon tossed four scoreless innings on Thursday against the Nationals, but will need a few more starts before these kind of talks gain real strength. "I think (Adam) Eaton and Simon have gotten our interest," Trembley said Saturday. "They need to pitch well again, especially Simon. Eaton's got more of a track record. He's done it before and he's pitched innings. I think Simon's more of an unknown, but I like Simon. I think he gives us a different look."

Source: MASN

bmurphy28
03-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Orioles released catcher Guillermo Quiroz.

Now 27, Quiroz is five years removed from being one of the top catching prospects in baseball. With a .201/.266/.269 line in 234 at bats over five seasons, Quiroz will be lucky to carve out a career as a backup. More likely, he's ticketed for AAA duty for the next couple of years.

roto

bmurphy28
03-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Orioles released RHP Scott Chiasson.

Chiasson signed a deal with Cancun of the Mexican League. The 31-year-old hasn't pitched in the majors since 2002.

roto

ravensrule
03-23-2009, 05:50 PM
why did we send bergesen down .? wasnt he minor league pitcher of the year or something last year.
penn not doing to good

eaton looks bad

baeaz worse

guthrie not looking good

hill hurt

who will be our 5 starters whose our ace lol im guessing uehara if not hurt.
sucks our offense looks good esp when mora and roberts come back and bull penn could be good if healthy. likle ray ,sherrill

pie if he keeps not hitting what do we do with him if we cant send him down.

orioles best players in minors could prob beat the orioles def have better pitching. and catcher in minors
we could possibly be real good in aug though

terp12354
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM
They sent him down because even though he was minor league pitcher of the year they would still like to not rush him up. If people strguggle he probably will get a call uparound June though. I think the rotation will work out like this:

1. Guthrie- he will be fine once he gets his innings in and back on a normal schedule. he started slow last spring too.
2. Uhera- should be healthy to start the season
3. Adam Eaton- Only proven vet starter left
4. Danny Baez- Very expensive to cut, and our bullpen is fine. And actually outside of one bad start, he has looked pretty good.
5. Hayden Penn- I might be wrong on this and clal it a hunch, but I think Penn gets a shot. he has had his moments this spring and he is out of options so i think the club would want ot make 100% sure before cutting ties with him. I think he gets maybe 6- 8 starts to show his stuff and if he bombs out, well Hill will be coming back or Bergensen could be called up around then. I do think the give him a shot though...

ravensrule
03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
They sent him down because even though he was minor league pitcher of the year they would still like to not rush him up. If people strguggle he probably will get a call uparound June though. I think the rotation will work out like this:

1. Guthrie- he will be fine once he gets his innings in and back on a normal schedule. he started slow last spring too.
2. Uhera- should be healthy to start the season
3. Adam Eaton- Only proven vet starter left
4. Danny Baez- Very expensive to cut, and our bullpen is fine. And actually outside of one bad start, he has looked pretty good.
5. Hayden Penn- I might be wrong on this and clal it a hunch, but I think Penn gets a shot. he has had his moments this spring and he is out of options so i think the club would want ot make 100% sure before cutting ties with him. I think he gets maybe 6- 8 starts to show his stuff and if he bombs out, well Hill will be coming back or Bergensen could be called up around then. I do think the give him a shot though...

i hope u are right i dont see eaton as a proven vet starter though has
some bad stats. i still cant see from looking at his numbers why philly is paying him like 8 mill a year.

terp12354
03-24-2009, 09:05 PM
I agree. I didnt necessarily mean 'proven' as good....he has just proved that he can through a lot of innings at the major league level (good or bad), which is more than we can say for just about everyone else on our staff

ravensrule
04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
is guthrie hurt ? He is having a horrible spring today was probably his last start this spring and he gave up 8 earned runs in 4 innings . I dont think he had a good performance this spring with us or in wbc. if he keeps this up open day may not be pretty.

bigity b
04-01-2009, 03:38 PM
^^ he's not hurt, but it shows how much the WBC f's with pitchers. Because he didnt get until a routine and didnt build his innings pitched up, and went so long between workouts, he'll be behind the curve for at least the first month of the season. All WBC pitcher's are having the same reuslts and complaining about the same idea.

ritz
04-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Anyone going to the game tomorrow against the Nats?

wizind33
04-02-2009, 06:23 PM
^^ he's not hurt, but it shows how much the WBC f's with pitchers. Because he didnt get until a routine and didnt build his innings pitched up, and went so long between workouts, he'll be behind the curve for at least the first month of the season. All WBC pitcher's are having the same reuslts and complaining about the same idea.

I hate the stupid WBC...All it does is hurt us in the long run...just like last
time with bedard/loewen..if your gonna have a WBC it needs to be after
the season for the 1s who want to play..it would probably draw the same
interest as it did this yr......I didn't catch much with ncaa's going on

ravensrule
04-03-2009, 03:13 AM
whats our team era this spring ? how would u pick a opening day starter they should just put 5 names in a hat and pick one.

bigity b
04-03-2009, 11:09 AM
because Guthrie has become our new Rodrigo Lopez - they owe it to him to make him the opening day starter (by default).