PDA

View Full Version : The Roy/Durant duo could have been the next great SG and SF duo.

JordansBulls
02-18-2009, 01:04 PM
The Roy/Durant duo could have been the next great SG and SF duo.

Anyone feel that the reason the Blazers didn't take Durant was because they didn't think Roy and Durant would work well together?

In hindsight did Portland make the right choice?

x_notorious
02-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Roy/Durant/Aldridge would have been a great trio.

THE MTL
02-18-2009, 01:11 PM
There was FAR TOO MUCH hype about Oden for the Blazers not to draft him. Personally, with injury concerns in college and not-so impressive numbers I would have drafted Kevin Durant first. I dont think Oden will be the "NEXT GREAT" center. But he will be good for Portland as the man in the middle role.

fredv
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
IMO, the Blazers saw in Oden the center they needed. They felt they already had enough great weapons at the 2-3 but lacked a top upcoming Center. Problem is, life, like the draft, like the NBA, is a roulette, sometimes your lucky, sometimes you aren't. They didn't get lucky for Oden (as of know) but they still have great trading assets to go after a remarquable big man.

JermanJaysFan
02-18-2009, 01:37 PM
C'mon JB- we all know this has been discussed from every possible angle. Yeah, Durant and Roy are both great. Who knows if the chemistry would have been there. Who knows how good Aldridge will be. [/thread]

mrblisterdundee
02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
I think Pritchard didn't take Durant because talented big men don't come along very often. It's the same reason Oklahoma just picked up Tyson Chandler. Oden hasn't impressed yet, but it's too early to write him off as the wrong decision.
Roy and Durant would have been a great combo. Together they would score the Blazers out of any trouble spot, they would equal a good point guard's distribution abilities, and I think they could be co-leaders. They just seem mature enough to share responsibility. I'm sure it would be a great move, but we haven't seen the best of Oden yet.
Until then, there is no way to tell which would be the better choice. Ask this question again in a few years.

HOZ THE KNICK
02-18-2009, 01:47 PM
durant is a straight beast.

what54!?
02-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Oden had a lot more hype than durant coming into the leauge. Roy/ durant / LA would have been good.

jetsfan28
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Portland made the right choice. You don't take a great wing player over a great center when you already have a great wing player. It might not turn out well for them, but they made the right choice.

SouljahPhil...
02-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Roy-Durant-LA would have been sick..But C's are tough to find.........

boysbullsbraves
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
in my opinion they did make the right choice...because oden has gr8t potencial as we all know, and still isnt a bust...the injury in his rookie year was tough so thats why hes behind our expectations as of now....durant looked awesome too , but in that time he looked to weak for him to be the beast we all know him for ...so i guess you can say back in that draft the blazers did make the right choice landing the big fella...but today right now...durant would have been the perfect fit not oden. it is true in drafts you need to get lucky....look at us BULLS this year with DROSE!! JAJA SUCKERS

JJ81
02-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Oden :(

8kobe24
02-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Oden was the right choice at the time. But that choice proved to be the lesser one. They would have been better of with Durant. Imagine, Roy, Durant, and Aldridge, that would've been a great looking future.

Tony_Starks
02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't know how many GM's are going to keep getting suckered by the old "you can't teach height" addage.

Jerry West always said he drafted the best player available, not by need.

JordansBulls
02-18-2009, 04:56 PM
I don't know how many GM's are going to keep getting suckered by the old "you can't teach height" addage.

Jerry West always said he drafted the best player available, not by need.

Well Durant is 6'9" himself.

FOBolous
02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
how bout this...imagine Roy on the Rockets. that year, the Rockets had the 8th pick and that made it clear to everyone that Roy was their choice. than the effing Blazers came along with the 7th pick and was like "to hell with the Rockets, we want roy instead" and they drafted Roy. The Rockets than went on the draft Gay and traded Gay for Battier. :( it's depressing...i wish we drafted Roy...Tmac+Roy+Yao = killer trio. and with Tmac injured...Roy+Yao is still a killer duo.

Tblaze
02-18-2009, 05:26 PM
We made the right choice, our need at center was far greater, besides oden has TONS of potential.

what54!?
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
how bout this...imagine Roy on the Rockets. that year, the Rockets had the 8th pick and that made it clear to everyone that Roy was their choice. than the effing Blazers came along with the 7th pick and was like "to hell with the Rockets, we want roy instead" and they drafted Roy. The Rockets than went on the draft Gay and traded Gay for Battier. :( it's depressing...i wish we drafted Roy...Tmac+Roy+Yao = killer trio. and with Tmac injured...Roy+Yao is still a killer duo.
Actually the T-wolves drafted roy then traded him for randy foye

QuaLiThADoN
02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Oden is merely a role player who has great character