PDA

View Full Version : Durant Does It Again

Baller1
02-18-2009, 01:45 AM
I know I've been bringing Durant up a lot lately, but I can't get over the fact that this guy is 20 and playing at the level he is.

For those of you who thought the rookie/sophomore game was a fluke, just go check out the box score for tonight's game between OKC/New Orleans. He put up 47 against a Western Conference playoff team... now I know the rookie/sophomore game lacks defense and fundamentals, but there's no disregarding this game, this kid is a freak.

So I thought I would start a thread that asks all varieties of NBA fans, whether you like the kid or not, what is Durant's ceiling? Does he even have one? Comments, concerns... discuss please.

what54!?
02-18-2009, 01:48 AM
He has a high ceiling. I'm predicting that have at least one scoring title over his career. When he bulks up in a couple of year dude will be one of the best in the game.

Kyle N.
02-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Durant is a freak of nature.

codes238
02-18-2009, 01:55 AM
He has a high ceiling. I'm predicting that have at least one scoring title over his career. When he bulks up in a couple of year dude will be one of the best in the game.

one??? i can see him ripping off 10 in a row starting as soon as this year...

Chronz
02-18-2009, 02:02 AM
I really hope he doesnt stay in OKC, I want to buy his jersey but not with those colors. And hes almost as good as Kobe was at 20, hes getting better every day

codes238
02-18-2009, 02:06 AM
I really hope he doesnt stay in OKC, I want to buy his jersey but not with those colors. And hes almost as good as Kobe was at 20, hes getting better every day

he's better than kobe was at 20...

ARMIN12NBA
02-18-2009, 02:08 AM

Facepalm (http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/facepalm.jpg)

lakersrock
02-18-2009, 02:15 AM
I love that he's proving me an idiot for saying Portland should have taken him instead of Oden.

Chronz
02-18-2009, 02:21 AM

LOL good one

Kenny
02-18-2009, 02:22 AM
we know he's a great scorer.. He's gotta improve his all around game

ARMIN12NBA
02-18-2009, 02:22 AM
LOL good one

Right? I thought it was pretty darn hilarious as well...until I realized he was serious. :( :p

ARMIN12NBA
02-18-2009, 02:23 AM

Exactly.

lakers4sho
02-18-2009, 02:25 AM
He needs to improve defensively.

Torque
02-18-2009, 02:34 AM
On the offensive side, he's a beast, The defensive side he has to improve.

He's gonna be really good, like Kobe Bryant good.

oldenpolynice
02-18-2009, 02:41 AM
I watched the second half. Durant was unstoppable in the fourth quarter. He must've scored at least 15 points, including some unbelievable threes. I'm telling you, nobody in the league can stop this guy. He's superhuman.

I can't wait to see him in his prime.

Crooks&Castles
02-18-2009, 02:48 AM
i wanna see durant AVG something close to wut he did at TEXAS

around 26 11

Aarick
on offense as mentioned he is crazy. defense needs much improvement. once he gets bigger i would hope he starts getting more boards and defending better. i think his ceiling depends on what sort of team is built around him. i think the acquiring of chandler is gonna help durant grow. they needed a defensive center and they got one. this year i hope they draft a player that doesnt need the ball all the time. they have durant and green as the primary scores with westbrook chipping in. they dont need another scorer becuase that will disrupt durants growth.

as it is now i expect durant to win atleast 1 mvp and championship before he retires. with the first round draft picks they have they can draft some very good bench players.

phils07
i mean hes really not that bad of a defender. and he most certainly is better than kobe was at the same age. this isnt saying hes going to have a better career than kobe, although i personally think its possible, but id take 20 year old durant over 20 eyar old kobe any day. irrelavent anyway.

i dont see him "filling out" or gaining substantial muscle. u dont have to be jacked to be a good defender. he is showing signs of being tayshaun like on that end. not to say that he will be a great or good defender, but he aint bad already.

on offense...no ceiling. hes like tmac but a much better shooter. he literally doesnt really have any weaknesses. this is because of his ballhandling ability. the george gervin comparisons are accurate in that regard. and his field goal percentages will only go up. his rebounding has gotten much better and hes dropping like 3 dimes. dimes will only go up. i would have no problem with his rebounding staying at this rate of around 6 or 7 a game.

what id like to see from him in 2 years: 31 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.5 spg, 1.3 bpg on 52 percent from the field and 42.5 percent from three while his free throw percentage remains in the high eighties. extremely efficient and it makes him a top 6 player in the league. the thunder will even be good too.

great times for the NBA and basketball fans.

ARMIN12NBA
02-18-2009, 02:55 AM
i mean hes really not that bad of a defender. and he most certainly is better than kobe was at the same age. this isnt saying hes going to have a better career than kobe, although i personally think its possible, but id take 20 year old durant over 20 eyar old kobe any day. irrelavent anyway.

i dont see him "filling out" or gaining substantial muscle. u dont have to be jacked to be a good defender. he is showing signs of being tayshaun like on that end. not to say that he will be a great or good defender, but he aint bad already.

on offense...no ceiling. hes like tmac but a much better shooter. he literally doesnt really have any weaknesses. this is because of his ballhandling ability. the george gervin comparisons are accurate in that regard. and his field goal percentages will only go up. his rebounding has gotten much better and hes dropping like 3 dimes. dimes will only go up. i would have no problem with his rebounding staying at this rate of around 6 or 7 a game.

what id like to see from him in 2 years: 31 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.5 spg, 1.3 bpg on 52 percent from the field and 42.5 percent from three while his free throw percentage remains in the high eighties. extremely efficient and it makes him a top 6 player in the league. the thunder will even be good too.

great times for the NBA and basketball fans.

Did you actually watch Bryant at that age (10 years ago) or do you simply look at box scores/stats?

Anyways, Durant is an absolute brilliant scorer. He is a beast, but he still has some weaknesses. He does not rebound as much as he should and is not a very good passer/playmaker (probably average in those areas). He needs a lot of work defensively and I want to see him develop a post game. As good as he is, he has some weaknesses which I fully expect out of a 20 year old. Needless to say, he is still an absolute amazing scorer and I can't wait to watch him develop as a player and see him eventually go to the Lakers after Kobe retires. :p

BTW--Does anybody else see Durant possibly challenging Lebron for the title of the best player in the league a couple years from now? He still needs to develop and polish his weaknesses, but he has the tools (height, length, etc.) and is 4 years younger.

Vinny642
02-18-2009, 02:58 AM
I was scared we were gonna lose he crapped on us but DWest had our back

BoltLakerPadre
02-18-2009, 03:07 AM
People in Portland have been nervously asking for a while if Oden was the right choice. There is very little reason left to believe that he was. Sure sure, give it a few more years, but I mean seriously, this kid is legit.

raidergreg72
02-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Durant reminds me of....oh yeah...nobody!!! the dude is a freak....his ceiling is as high as his work ethic wants to take him....if he wants to work for it he can be mentioned with lebron for the next 5 years...and then still be only 25...hahahaha....if he doesnt work though, he'll just remain a scorer

ARMIN12NBA
02-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Durant reminds me of....oh yeah...nobody!!! the dude is a freak....his ceiling is as high as his work ethic wants to take him....if he wants to work for it he can be mentioned with lebron for the next 5 years...and then still be only 25...hahahaha....if he doesnt work though, he'll just remain a scorer

Although, a great one.

Coonman21
02-18-2009, 03:25 AM
Kobe at the age of 20: : 3rd year in the league 98-99 season averages
MPG: 37.9
FG%: .465
3p%: .267
RPG: 5.3
APG: 3.8
SPG: 1.4
BPG: 1.0
PPG: 19.9

Durant at the age of 20: 2nd year in the league 08-09 season (not with the 47point game he just had included)
MPG: 39.9
FG%: .479
3P%: .429
RPG: 6.7
APG: 2.8
SPG: 1.2
BPG: .8
PPG: 25.5 (without the 47pt game)

Great stuff from both guys, low assists for Durant (but he didnt have shaq to dump it to), but then again kobe was not asked to score as much...so stats dont tell everything. however, durant is a much better shooter at this stage in his career, and is a better rebounder. kobe had him in defense tho....i personaly think Durant will be a very great player. he's special, his birthday is september 1988! i mean damn, kid just turned 20 at the start of the season, and he just scored 47 tonight. I'm 22 and consider myself athletic cause i can hold my own playing b-ball against my army buds lol kids in the nba today are just freaks. rose, durant, oden, my god..... i can't recall kobe ever putting up 45+ in his second season. Durant's ceiling is as high as kobe and lebrons....could be better than lebron in a few years....might take longer to be as good as kobe tho.

ARMIN12NBA
02-18-2009, 03:29 AM
Kobe at the age of 20: : 3rd year in the league 98-99 season averages
MPG: 37.9
FG%: .465
3p%: .267
RPG: 5.3
APG: 3.8
SPG: 1.4
BPG: 1.0
PPG: 19.9

Durant at the age of 20: 2nd year in the league 08-09 season (not with the 47point game he just had included)
MPG: 39.9
FG%: .479
3P%: .429
RPG: 6.7
APG: 2.8
SPG: 1.2
BPG: .8
PPG: 25.5 (without the 47pt game)

Great stuff from both guys, low assists for Durant (but he didnt have shaq to dump it to), but then again kobe was not asked to score as much...so stats dont tell everything. however, i got to watch both of them and as good as kobe was at scoring, durant is a much better shooter at this stage in his career, and is a better rebounder. kobe had him in defense tho....i personaly think Durant will be a very great player. he's special, his birthday is september 1988! i mean damn, kid will just turned 20 at the start of the season, and he just scored 47 tonight. i can't recall kobe ever putting up 45+ in his second season, but i'm too tired to do that kind of research right now.

Kobe threw down 33 on Michael at 19 if I recall correctly. Anyways, that isn't why Kobe is/was better. Bryant was just as good of a scorer as Durant is now, but he was dominant defensively. He could lockdown the best of them. Durant is not good defensively at all (yet...) despite his length/height. Although Bryant averaged 5 less PPG, I guarantee his opponents scored a lot less PPG. Bryant's all around game was much better especially his playmaking ability.

Torque
02-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Did you actually watch Bryant at that age (10 years ago) or do you simply look at box scores/stats?

Anyways, Durant is an absolute brilliant scorer. He is a beast, but he still has some weaknesses. He does not rebound as much as he should and is not a very good passer/playmaker (probably average in those areas). He needs a lot of work defensively and I want to see him develop a post game. As good as he is, he has some weaknesses which I fully expect out of a 20 year old. Needless to say, he is still an absolute amazing scorer and I can't wait to watch him develop as a player and see him eventually go to the Lakers after Kobe retires. :p

BTW--Does anybody else see Durant possibly challenging Lebron for the title of the best player in the league a couple years from now? He still needs to develop and polish his weaknesses, but he has the tools (height, length, etc.) and is 4 years younger.

I agree ^^

This is only his 2nd year, imagine for the years to come.. this kid is gonna be a beast.

yanks 4lif3
02-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Last 5 Games: 31 pts, 39 pts, 31 pts,, 20 pts, 47 pts...33.6 pts per game

codes238
02-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Kobe threw down 33 on Michael at 19 if I recall correctly. Anyways, that isn't why Kobe is/was better. Bryant was just as good of a scorer as Durant is now, but he was dominant defensively. He could lockdown the best of them. Durant is not good defensively at all (yet...) despite his length/height. Although Bryant averaged 5 less PPG, I guarantee his opponents scored a lot less PPG. Bryant's all around game was much better especially his playmaking ability.

ummm kobe bryant was definitely not a lockdown defender at the age of 20 sorry buddy... i dont understand why youre getting your panties caught up in a knot when someone says that durant is better at this age its simply true...
oh kobe put up 33 points on jordan in one game!? thats your argument? durant put up 31 points and 10 boards against kobe the last time they played, i guess that proves he's GOAT! why exactly was kobe better than durant at this age, because he couldnt even average 20 points or because he kept choking and putting up random air-ball 3-pointers in the playoffs!?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-18-2009, 05:39 AM
All he needs to do is improve his all around game. He is a good scorer already as we all know by now.

Baller1
02-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Durant just passed Dirk in scoring (both are at 25.9), and now only trails the three most elite wings/guards in the game (Lebron, Kobe, and DWade). Wow...

effen5
02-18-2009, 11:02 AM
If he gained about 20lbs, he probably cant be stopped, not like theyre stopping him anyways but he would definetly be a freak.

D_Rose1118
02-18-2009, 11:14 AM
man the blazers must feel dumb

northsider
02-18-2009, 11:18 AM
I know my fantasy league is loving him!

MTone8788
02-18-2009, 11:41 AM
what id like to see from him in 2 years: 31 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 4.6 apg, 1.5 spg, 1.3 bpg on 52 percent from the field and 42.5 percent from three while his free throw percentage remains in the high eighties.

Lmao, I'm sorry, I just find it funny you had to put ".1, .6, .5, and .3" haha

Sixerlover
02-18-2009, 11:43 AM
man the blazers must feel dumb

I wouldn't if I was them

The Blazers have the player better suited for their team, as do the Thunder. All good. That being said, Durant is on a rampage lately, and it is pretty impressive.

dsickich123
02-18-2009, 01:19 PM
DURANT IS MY FAVORITE PLAYER
OKC IS MY FAVORITE TEAM
i hope he can continue to improve at this level
i would love to see that....

to hit on the point of him not resigning, Durant himself said that he wants to stay on that same team his whole career

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-player-kevin-durant-i-want-to-be-here-as-long-as-possible/article/3325408

DreamShaker
02-18-2009, 04:58 PM

He has been rebounding better....getting more assists....his D isn't terrible....he can absolutely get better in all areas....hes got all the tools to be great in every area....

DreamShaker
02-18-2009, 05:00 PM
DURANT IS MY FAVORITE PLAYER
OKC IS MY FAVORITE TEAM
i hope he can continue to improve at this level
i would love to see that....

to hit on the point of him not resigning, Durant himself said that he wants to stay on that same team his whole career

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-player-kevin-durant-i-want-to-be-here-as-long-as-possible/article/3325408

Thats all nice and great....but if he has a better oppertunity I don't see him not taking it...alot can change in the next 4 years when the resigning thing will start coming up...

ugafan
02-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Thats all nice and great....but if he has a better oppertunity I don't see him not taking it...alot can change in the next 4 years when the resigning thing will start coming up...

Yeah, but the Thunder aren't looking so bad, they have a solid core of players.

And where have you been man, haven't seen you in forever?

Baller1
02-18-2009, 08:29 PM

I know it's early in his career, but Durant seems like a humble kid who's got his head on straight. As long as OKC keeps improving and eventually start winning, I think him spending his career here could be a definite possibility.

Super.
02-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Durant is impressive.....most impressive. but he is not a jedi yet

_Sn1P3r_
02-18-2009, 08:55 PM
He is just a beast, so young too. Can't wait to see what he can do in his prime.

eric1501
02-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Durant is the 3rd best player in the NBA.

1. Bron Bron
2. Kobe
3. Durant

yankeesown69
02-18-2009, 09:16 PM
LOL good one

Right? I thought it was pretty darn hilarious as well...until I realized he was serious. :( :p

Well whoever said Durant is better at 20 then Kobe was, was dead serious. He's also 100% right. Durant at 20 is doing better than kobe at 20. He scores more, grabs more rebounds (okay you can claim that hes on a bad team so thats why) but Durant's shooting percentages are higher across the board (FG %, Ft %, 3pt %) kevin durants FG % and 3pt % are higher this year so far than Kobes have ever been in any year in his career. Durants shootin at 48% from the field and 43.7% from 3. Kobes career highs in those categories are 47.3% from the field (this year) and 38.3% from 3 in the 2002-2003 season. NO I'M NOT CLAIMING THAT DURANT IS BETTER THAN KOBE OR EVER WILL BE (don't want people thinking that after my post b/c people judge quick nowadays lol). just saying that durant is playing at an exceptional level.

Steely McBeam
02-18-2009, 09:21 PM
loved him at texas and already one of my favorite players in the league, the guy can score any way he wants to, i really think the sky is the limit

SJSHARKIES
02-18-2009, 09:23 PM
On the offensive side, he's a beast, The defensive side he has to improve.

He's gonna be really good, like Kobe Bryant good.

Durant is a special player, but he won't be that good.

SJSHARKIES
02-18-2009, 09:25 PM

1. Bron Bron
2. Kobe
3. Durant

hmmmmm NO

ARMIN12NBA
02-18-2009, 09:58 PM
ummm kobe bryant was definitely not a lockdown defender at the age of 20 sorry buddy... i dont understand why youre getting your panties caught up in a knot when someone says that durant is better at this age its simply true...
oh kobe put up 33 points on jordan in one game!? thats your argument? durant put up 31 points and 10 boards against kobe the last time they played, i guess that proves he's GOAT! why exactly was kobe better than durant at this age, because he couldnt even average 20 points or because he kept choking and putting up random air-ball 3-pointers in the playoffs!?

He was buddy. Bryant locked down many people at that age (20-21) and was a great defender. One of the better defenders in the league.

It's not true. Statistics do not make Durant better. Bryant was still the better playmaker/passer, still much much better defensively, etc.

It's not my argument. Never said it was. Read the quotes beforehand, "buddy." The guy asked about scoring outbursts on Kobe and I replied with the 33 game.

Durant did not put up 31 and 10 over Kobe. He put it over Luke Walton. Nice try. Let me guess. You looked at the box score, didn't you? That's a good way to win an argument. :rolleyes:

He averaged 20 PPG. And it wasn't like he could not average more, "buddy." Bryant was even a brilliant scorer at that age, but had to share the court with two other all-star guards. Couldn't get as many touches and time on the floor as Durant (about 4 minutes less per game than Durant). Anyways, anybody who actually watched Bryant at age 20 would probably concur.

Baller1
02-18-2009, 11:39 PM

1. Bron Bron
2. Kobe
3. Durant

He's good, but come on now. There are a few that he could argueably be compared with, but DWade, CP3, and DHoward are definitely above him on the list. If you base this on scoring abilities, it could be arguable.

mrblisterdundee
02-19-2009, 12:36 AM
If he bulks up and works on his passing game, I could see him averaging LeBron James statistics.

eric1501
02-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Feel free anyone to go ahead and quote this if you need to but I will say it again. Skills wise. Top 3 players in the league are:

1. Bron Bron
2. Kobe
3. Durant

dre1990
02-19-2009, 12:46 AM

you could get a sonic Durant jersey

eric1501
02-19-2009, 12:50 AM
Here I just put it on myself. I am that confident that Durant is #3 and will be #2 in 3 years. Call me crazy but everyone will soon find out if you haven't already.

Lincoln Logs
02-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Sonic Jersey that'd be sick haha... collectable worth a ton in a few years when he truly becomes great... might have to go look at Ebay myself now...

eric1501
02-19-2009, 12:52 AM
you could get a sonic Durant jersey

I have the blue away Thunder Durant jersey. I think its way better than the white one.

-Juice-
02-19-2009, 12:54 AM
The next Michael Jordan? Oden the next Bowie?

Lincoln Logs
02-19-2009, 12:59 AM
^ No Oden's still good. The Blazers should eventually win a championship, and Oden will be a big part of that as he becomes a more dominant center, so there will be no regrets there

leftie5
02-19-2009, 12:59 AM
I am scared for Friday when we play him and the Thunder. We have had a few guys go off on us and get their career highs this season (Roy + Harris) so I wouldn't be surprised if Durant went nuts.

BroSweets
02-19-2009, 01:01 AM
C'mon, who are we kidding, Oden is so much better than Durant. Seriously.

Jaji
02-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Durant is a beast. Plain and simple. I know it's easy to say now but I would have certainly taken Durant over Oden in the draft. He was unstoppable at Texas.

GspLAL
02-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Lol @ some people, Kobe actually played on a decent team at the age of 20, he averaged 20 points when there was Shaq on the team and overall a way better team. Whatever though this is about Durant, he has a shot at becoming the best player in the league if he really works on his defense.

Jaji
02-19-2009, 02:07 AM
Lol @ some people, Kobe actually played on a decent team at the age of 20, he averaged 20 points when there was Shaq on the team and overall a way better team. Whatever though this is about Durant, he has a shot at becoming the best player in the league if he really works on his defense.

The fact you're comparing him to Kobe Bryant, the best player in the league, should tell you something. With Shaq in his prime, Kobe was not the focal point of the defense back then.

GspLAL
02-19-2009, 05:35 AM
The fact you're comparing him to Kobe Bryant, the best player in the league, should tell you something. With Shaq in his prime, Kobe was not the focal point of the defense back then.

I'm not comparing them, other people were, I'm just telling them how ridiculous the comparison is. :D

Chronz
02-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Speak for yourself, thats such an annoying copout

codes238
02-19-2009, 10:45 AM
ive never actually watched durant play but im just gonna assume his defense is pretty bad so im gonna chose to ignore the fact that kobe's defense also sucked when he was 20 and say that durant is not even close to kobe's level at the same age... im not gonna let little things like shooting percentages, the fact that durant is double and triple teamed on every possession and rebounding influnce my decision either! sure some "experts" will tell you that durant will be the best player this league has ever known by the time his career is done but im on kobe's nuts and i refuse to get off of them!!!

Jaji
02-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm not comparing them, other people were, I'm just telling them how ridiculous the comparison is. :D

Yea but Kobe didn't see half the double teams Durant sees at age 20. Kobe played with Shaq, who was the focal point of the offense. No one was double teaming Kobe back then.

Kobe is the best player because of his all around game but purely as a scorer, I could see that comparison. Durant will develop the type of skills necessary to score 81 points in a game. He can create his own shot from anywhere on the floor and has very good range (44% 3's this year). So as a scorer, I don't think it's a bad comparison. However, Kobe is also all defense which I don't think Durant will ever accomplish.

codes238
02-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Yea but Kobe didn't see half the double teams Durant sees at age 20. Kobe played with Shaq, who was the focal point of the offense. No one was double teaming Kobe back then.

Kobe is the best player because of his all around game but purely as a scorer, I could see that comparison. Durant will develop the type of skills necessary to score 81 points in a game. He can create his own shot from anywhere on the floor and has very good range (44% 3's this year). So as a scorer, I don't think it's a bad comparison. However, Kobe is also all defense which I don't think Durant will ever accomplish.

so what exactly makes you think he wont accomplish being a good defender!?!? the fact that he's really athletic and long or the fact that he has great basketball IQ?

Jaji
02-19-2009, 12:28 PM
so what exactly makes you think he wont accomplish being a good defender!?!? the fact that he's really athletic and long or the fact that he has great basketball IQ?

He could be a good defender, but there are very few great defenders. Kobe is a great defender.

Amare Stoudemire is long and athletic but he's a terrible defender (occasional blocked shot aside). I don't know how basketball IQ is measured so I'll just go off what I've seen. What I've seen from Durant is a great scorer, not so great defender. I didn't say it was impossible for him to be All-Defense, I just don't see it based on what I've seen so far. You could argue either way, it's all speculation at this point.

MJ-BULLS
02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Durant=beast

NJrockPD
02-19-2009, 12:42 PM
He's Mcgrady 2.0, hopefully he is not injury prone.

Baller1
02-19-2009, 11:22 PM
He's Mcgrady 2.0, hopefully he is not injury prone.

After some thinking... I don't think he's a good comparison to T-Mac. I don't even know why exactly, he just doesn't remind me much of him...

haircanada
02-19-2009, 11:30 PM
the mans a beast!!!