PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Marion: It's all about "high scoring games and dunks"!!!

fairandbalanced
02-17-2009, 10:13 PM
"I'm tired of playing that boring style in the half court, watching everybody just go up and run plays, call this play. That's boring. The fans don't enjoy it either. People like to see you get up and down, have high-scoring games and dunks and all that stuff. That's what it's about."

http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/57325/20090217/marion_happy_to_be_free_of_heats_boring_style/

What do you guys think of his statement?

elnino9
02-17-2009, 10:26 PM
genius:clap:

LAKERS 24/7
02-17-2009, 10:26 PM
That's why he's not highly regarded around this league. It's proof he's not a winner.

ink
02-17-2009, 10:27 PM
^ No it's not. It's not proof of anything except he likes a running style of ball.

ink
02-17-2009, 10:28 PM
http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/57325/20090217/marion_happy_to_be_free_of_heats_boring_style/

Here's my beef. Have any of y'all seen any team win the championship, playing the way Shawn (good bye) Marion just described. I mean, sitting beside your gm and saying that is just plain dumb. I am glad Miami got rid of hin, now he could run and dunk in Toronto all he wants.

Is this another one of your "fair and balanced" threads?? :cool:

AFlagRules
02-17-2009, 10:29 PM

Here's my beef. Have any of y'all seen any team win the championship, playing the way Shawn (good bye) Marion just described. I mean, sitting beside your gm and saying that is just plain dumb. I am glad Miami got rid of hin, now he could run and dunk in Toronto all he wants.

This one great Lakers team won the championship by playing the way Shawn (hello, put us over the top) Marion just described. Maybe it's just me, but I think the "Showtime" Lakers we're pretty much run and gun. Not comparing Toronto to that team (or even near/worth speaking about it), but it's possible and obviously has been done.

fairandbalanced
02-17-2009, 10:34 PM
This one great Lakers team won the championship by playing the way Shawn (hello, put us over the top) Marion just described. Maybe it's just me, but I think the "Showtime" Lakers we're pretty much run and gun. Not comparing Toronto to that team (or even near/worth speaking about it), but it's possible and obviously has been done.

Laker?Lakers? you're talking about the Lakers?..........The Lakers are the KING of half-court B Ball, I mean they value dominant big man like the rest of us value Jordan.

IRUAM #21
02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Whatever, he obviously didn't fit into our style of play.

Testaverde16
02-17-2009, 10:41 PM
If thats what he wants to do, then he can do it.... in fairness, Marion never won games playing any half court basketball. The Suns won a **** load of games and were contenders playing fast paced, all the slow paced teams hes been a part of have been mediocre at best... just my two cents.

ink
02-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Whatever, he obviously didn't fit into our style of play.

Fair comment. There's no doubt he's not a half-court player.

td0tsfinest
02-17-2009, 10:45 PM
you could argue that the showtime lakers ran a run and gun offense more so than a half court. But they ran a great fast pace offense because they had great defense. So if Shawn really wants to play like this, than he and the rest of the team have to step up their D.

JJ81
02-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Marion and Nash need D'antoni:o

Kyle N.
02-17-2009, 11:01 PM
I think we'll see Shawn Marion leave the NBA for And1.

mjt20mik
02-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Kyle N. your sig is the BOMB!

And regarding this, the Raptors are trying to run a more "free" offence, so maybe it will benefit him.

IRUAM #21
02-17-2009, 11:16 PM
^ Agreed i could see Marion's numbers going up.

mjt20mik
02-17-2009, 11:18 PM
^ Agreed i could see Marion's numbers going up.

This deal is what both teams needed. So best of luck to both teams on this trade.

Kyle N.
02-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Kyle N. your sig is the BOMB!

And regarding this, the Raptors are trying to run a more "free" offence, so maybe it will benefit him.

Ha ha, thanks. I thought it was pretty funny. Actually it's a real picture. Sam Cassell was originally casted to be E.T. but was narrowly beaten out by the now famous animatronic doll.

mjt20mik
02-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Ha ha, thanks. I thought it was pretty funny. Actually it's a real picture. Sam Cassell was originally casted to be E.T. but was narrowly beaten out by the now famous animatronic doll.

Lmao. So I've heard..

KnickVeteran
02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
That's why he's not highly regarded around this league. It's proof he's not a winner.

That's the same way I took it

ramz.n
02-17-2009, 11:37 PM

HAHA this coming from a lakers fan..it used to be fun when Kobe was playing with Shaq...

No Shaq+ No Fun = No Championship for Kobe ..and that's proven because Shaq went on to win it with D-Wade.

Jacob K.
02-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Marion and Nash need D'antoni:o

nash didnt have dantoni in dallas, where he ran the highest scoring offence 2 or 3 years in a row

Trouble87
02-17-2009, 11:41 PM
as a fan i totally agree with what he said

but this is why Marion is always looked at as a underachiever. late in his career when his athleticism is fading & all he wants is a ring.. I bet he'll learn to love the boring half court style

Trouble87
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
nash didnt have dantoni in dallas, where he ran the highest scoring offence 2 or 3 years in a row

No he didnt but he had Don Nelson who is also a fan of no D and chuckin 3's

carruthers32
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM

well said

what54!?
02-17-2009, 11:44 PM
So he waits to leave then talks ******* about our team. Its ok though I still respect marion and he rights fans do want to see up-tempo style. But half-court teams win championships, I guess he doesn't want one.

Apophis
02-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Marion is right though... One of the most boring finals that I will never remember is the Spurs - Pistons series... Yeah the defense was great but to watch... BOOOOOOORINGGGG...

Neely
02-17-2009, 11:59 PM
I like high scoring games and dunks too!!!

fishfan79
02-18-2009, 12:00 AM
HAHA this coming from a lakers fan..it used to be fun when Kobe was playing with Shaq...

No Shaq+ No Fun = No Championship for Kobe ..and that's proven because Shaq went on to win it with D-Wade.

you mean shaq went on to play like crap in the finals where Wade carried his team on his back for a championship playing like he took a dose of michael Jordan injection shot?

Walker out preformed shaq in those finals and no he wasnt double teamed all the time. Just crappy.

:D

Run and gun doesnt win sorry unless you have a player like Magic Johnson and Kareem there and a coach like Riley.

Either way I wish him luck he helped my team out and was amusing to watch. I still love his ability to play D.

ink
02-18-2009, 12:26 AM
So he waits to leave then talks ******* about our team. Its ok though I still respect marion and he rights fans do want to see up-tempo style. But half-court teams win championships, I guess he doesn't want one.

Relax. He's not dissing the team. He's just saying he wants to play an uptempo game. His comments aren't that serious. You have to want to get angry to get upset over something like this -- or use it as a sig quote like some people. :pity:

NYMetros
02-18-2009, 12:30 AM

Are you implying that teams that like to run the ball don't win championships? I couldn't disagree more. The 60's Celtics who won 9 (or was it 8?) straight championships loved to run - with Bob Cousy setting the tempo. In the 80's, it pretty much was all fastbreak teams that dominated. The Hawks, Celtics, Sixers, and especially Lakers. History has proven that you can win with the style that Marion is referring to.

still1ballin
02-18-2009, 01:05 AM
That style of play doesn't win championships.

still1ballin
02-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Are you implying that teams that like to run the ball don't win championships? I couldn't disagree more. The 60's Celtics who won 9 (or was it 8?) straight championships loved to run - with Bob Cousy setting the tempo. In the 80's, it pretty much was all fastbreak teams that dominated. The Hawks, Celtics, Sixers, and especially Lakers. History has proven that you can win with the style that Marion is referring to.

Different eras man. We are not in the 60s or 80s anymore. Defenses has also changed as well. The Phx Suns is proof that you cannot win with the style of play Marion is referring to. You can't run up and down and play no defense and expect to win. Maybe before, but times has changed.

ink
02-18-2009, 01:37 AM
^ That's besides the point anyway. Marion was just making a comment about his own preference -- stating his own opinion. He never said anything about what would win championships. This thread is a bit of a non-issue really. Is it any surprise that a player who played some of the most exciting run and gun basketball ever says that he prefers to play that way???

Bit of a no-brainer.

BenWin
02-18-2009, 01:39 AM
yeah i can see an increase in his numbers. thats what made him so great in phoenix was the run and gun. what did he expect when he went to miami? that it would be the same, lol. and fans are just a fan of their team winning. at least for me. idc how the game is played. lol

codes238
02-18-2009, 01:41 AM
a while ago when he was still with phoenix and they were the best team in the league someone asked marion if he'dd rather be there or leading a losing team in scoring and he said it was a really tough decision and he didnt know... this is a guy who would rather play for the worst team in the league than with an amazing point guard like nash winning games and tearing it up... he's a dink and i wish the raps didnt get him...

Big Zo
02-18-2009, 05:10 AM
Have fun running, dunking, and losing, Shawn.

valade16
02-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Are you guys kidding me?! Talking about high scoring, fast paced teams from the 60s and 80s? Yeah, they did run when they wanted, but don't doubt for a second they didn't slow the tempo down and run conventional offense all the time. I mean, we are talking about 2 teams with BILL RUSSELL and KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR. So yeah, it's nice to run when your half-court fall back option is 2 people widely considered the best to ever play the game as big men...

Did you guys forget about them?...

codes238
02-19-2009, 09:10 AM
marions an idiot honestly, who cares about anything this guy has to say!?

Frank Costanza
02-19-2009, 11:11 AM
you really need the perfect mix of both, no team that only runs will win, teams that play only half court always have coaches mentioning missing out on "easy baskets" "break opportunities" the perfect equation is a system where you play half court and run , with the running being your first option , then you go to option 1a, 1b after it is assesed that the play wont work, i dont think you need to define a team by any one style if you get the perfect mix of both i think youll get the fans and players and coaches all happy with the play

RodmansBulls
02-19-2009, 01:05 PM
What a loser, he's never going to win a championship with that attitude.