PDA

View Full Version : Cavs interested in Jamieson?

ugafan
02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
With Amar'e Stoudemire unlikely to be dealt before Thursday's trading deadline, the next-biggest thing is being attempted by the Cleveland Cavaliers -- a surprise move at acquiring All-Star forward Antawn Jamison from the Washington Wizards.
A deal for Jamison is far from being completed, according to league sources who described the Wizards as reluctant to move a team leader. The sources considered the proposal a sign that the Cavaliers have become more aggressive in trying to improve at the deadline for a title push this spring.
The Cavaliers have talked to the Wizards about offering Wally Szczerbiak's expiring $13.8 million salary as payroll relief for the 32-year-old Jamison, who is on the books for $50 million through 2011-12. Jamison is averaging 21.4 points and 9.1 rebounds this season, and he would be a lethal scoring threat off the bench for Cleveland in an anticipated conference final against the defending champion Boston Celtics.
A move like this -- a championship contender adding a two-time All-Star scorer and rebounder without touching the top seven players in its rotation - would be the closest thing to a blockbuster in this year's trading-deadline market. Jamison would put enormous pressure on the Celtics, whose front line has already been challenged by the departures of James Posey and P.J. Brown.
"If Cleveland can get Jamison, that will be a home run,'' said an Eastern Conference executive with knowledge of the talks. "Jamison would give them a big boost -- he can finish games with them, and he's a slasher who will get more open shots playing with LeBron. I think that would clinch [the NBA Finals] for them. Boston would have a tough time with them.''
To bring the salaries within 125 percent of each other, Cleveland would have to take on one or more additional players in exchange for Szczerbiak's expiring $13.8 million -- an expensive proposition for the Cavaliers, who would already be paying the luxury tax on Jamison's salary next season.
By clearing salary, the Wizards would position themselves to relaunch next season around their high lottery pick in this draft in addition to a healthy (or so they hope) Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler, who are both younger than 29. But in the midst of a 11-42 season, the Wizards appear disinclined to move Jamison, upon whom they are counting to lead them back into the playoffs next season.
Other talks that emerged Tuesday included interest from the Portland Trail Blazers in acquiring small forward Gerald Wallace from the Charlotte Bobcats. The Blazers would package the expiring $12.7 million salary of Raef LaFrentz, and a third team could be involved. Mark this as another sign that the Blazers are investigating all opportunities.
Also, there has been renewed interest around the league in acquiring Richard Jefferson from the Milwaukee Bucks, who may be forced to unload salary to avoid the luxury tax. Several teams have shown interest, though the Trail Blazers appear to have dropped out of the bidding.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/02/17/cavs.wizards/index.html
I hope the Cavs get him.

JermanJaysFan
02-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Man, I thought this was going to be a quiet deadline- stuff is cropping up everywhere.

This would really push the Cavs over the top, although I don't see it happening.

Yogi
02-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd be so pissed if our team leader got traded to the team I want to nuke.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-17-2009, 05:36 PM
I like the sound of it, as of now.

I almost ignore his contract. Yes, it's bad but Cleveland needs something like this now. I would rather have a couple rings and lose LeBron then lose LeBron and get nothing out of it. (obviously)

MilfHunter07
i dont see anything attractive on the cavs roster.

Nighthawk
yes...Rumors galore this deadline. Names just keep popping up everyday. Who knows what will happen, IF ANYTHING happens at all. I hope a couple big names move.

dee279
02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
They do need to trade him becuz i feel it is time for the WiZards to start rebuilding but i am a Heat fan so idc if he does or doesnt get traded but if he does i wouldnt want it to be the cavs they are good enough already

3lite-Raps
02-17-2009, 05:42 PM
i dont think so it would prob ruin there chemistry

Kakaroach
02-17-2009, 05:42 PM
Are the Wizards in financial trouble like the Suns and a couple of other teams? If they aren't, I wouldn't understand why they would trade arguably their best player.

JabberJaw
02-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Is there a big name out there that Cleveland hasn't been interested in? Most of the teams out there that are in the market for a "big name player" via trade, have more to offer than Cleveland. Don't see this happening. The only thing they have in their favor is that Washington is rebuilding, so they would take on Wallys expiring contract, but what else do the Cavs have to offer that is intriguing enough. Jamison is a beast...it should take a lot to get him

Fear_GAS_OLDier
please no

MilfHunter07
because they are rebuilding, he is getting older and they can get cap space

cmstophe
02-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Is there a big name out there that Cleveland hasn't been interested in? Most of the teams out there that are in the market for a "big name player" via trade, have more to offer than Cleveland. Don't see this happening. The only thing they have in their favor is that Washington is rebuilding, so they would take on Wallys expiring contract, but what else do the Cavs have to offer that is intriguing enough. Jamison is a beast...it should take a lot to get him

LOL have you seen his contract? It's an albatross...the Wizards would need to package MORE with it to convince the Cavs to take it on IMO.

dee279
02-17-2009, 05:50 PM
LOL have you seen his contract? It's an albatross...the Wizards would need to package MORE with it to convince the Cavs to take it on IMO.

Not really because the Cavs have not at all been reluctant to take on bad contracts when it comes to making the team better and i would mos def rather Jamison at the starting Power Forward spot then Ben Wallace if i was a Cavs fan

ottograham14
02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
If Washington is looking to relieve cap space then Wally's contract would be perfect for them. I think that it would take more than Jamison though from Washington to match salaries someone like Songulia or however you spell his name. It is tough though to see someone like the Wizards who have hated us lately to be willing to trade the cavs one of their leaders.

Also with the chemistry factor of the cavs it would be interesting to see if they would start Jamison or Wallace and bring Jamison off as a sixth man. Either way this trade happens Cavs would have to be the deepest team in the league, I would say even more than the Lakers.

Kakaroach
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM
If the Cavs get Jamison, he would most likely come off of the bench so they have more offense with their second unit, but he would probably finish games.

prodigy
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
i dont see anything attractive on the cavs roster.

lebron???? lol well he is on the roster. also west, mo williams, hickson, AV, wally's 13 mill expiring are very attractive.

Missing56&33
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
:laugh2: :laugh2: I bet the Cavs are interested in AJ. No way in hell the Wizards trade Jamison to the rival Cavs

S.J.Basketball
02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Yea Jamison has been underrated for a while I think. He's a great solid player to have on your team as a #2 or #3 option. Dallas totally misused his talents.

prodigy
02-17-2009, 05:58 PM
:laugh2: :laugh2: I bet the Cavs are interested in AJ. No way in hell the Wizards trade Jamison to the rival Cavs

Not really a rival. We whoop them every year. stevenson just ran his mouth. Who I saw workin at wendy's BTW.

S.J.Basketball
02-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Not really a rival. We whoop them every year. stevenson just ran his mouth. Who I saw workin at wendy's BTW.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Cavsalltheway
02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
This would be a good trade for the cavs in that they need a forward that can score in the paint and create there own shot . Plus i think jamison would buy into playing defense if he seen the possibility of winning a championship . But as much as the wizards hate the cavs it seems like they wouldn't want him to go there .

prodigy
02-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I have a really good one. But I would get kicked....

_Sn1P3r_
02-17-2009, 06:08 PM
He'd be a nice addition to the Cavs for sure.

JabberJaw
02-17-2009, 06:09 PM

You see it's a TRADE though. Jamison might be the Wizards best player and it's not as if they just want to help the Cavs get better. And all were talking about in return is someone like Wally and some fillers? Yes it gives the Wizards some cap relief, but it severly depletes this team and its only rebounder/low post option. That would be a dumb trade for Washington

S.J.Basketball
02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
You see it's a TRADE though. Jamison might be the Wizards best player and it's not as if they just want to help the Cavs get better. And all were talking about in return is someone like Wally and some fillers? Yes it gives the Wizards some cap relief, but it severly depletes this team and its only rebounder/low post option. That would be a dumb trade for Washington

Washington is in rebuild mode I think. Even with a healthy Arenas and Butler how good are they gonna be? Probably still not very good. They might be looking to spend on young players to rebuild for the next few years. Who knows?

ballin23
02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
If the Cavs make this trade one would think they must be making a run at a championship before LeBron leaves. Jamison's contract runs through 2011-2012 which leaves them with that big contract during the 2010 offseason. I have no clue what the Cavs other contracts look like but one would think that if they want to keep LeBron they would want the cash to re-sign him.

cmstophe
02-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Not really because the Cavs have not at all been reluctant to take on bad contracts when it comes to making the team better and i would mos def rather Jamison at the starting Power Forward spot then Ben Wallace if i was a Cavs fan

They would be reluctant this time. His contract goes past 2010. The Cavs would need another bartering piece, like the 1st round pick.

cmstophe
02-17-2009, 06:16 PM

Dude, he's 32 years old. Too old for the Wiz to rebuild around, so they will want cap relief.

Ollie Tabooger
02-17-2009, 08:58 PM
lebron???? lol well he is on the roster. also west, mo williams, hickson, AV, wally's 13 mill expiring are very attractive.

i hope that by "AV" you don't mean anderson varejao. i wouldnt want that guy on my team

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
i hope that by "AV" you don't mean anderson varejao. i wouldnt want that guy on my team

Okay? He is a legit backup, but whatever your post is off topic.

futureman
02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
As a celtic fan, I would have to say, GET SOMETHING DONE NOW.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Okay? He is a legit backup, but whatever your post is off topic.

i personally hate his style of play. its very cheap and insulting to real players. not kidding, everytime he flops, i want someone to punch him in the face and yell "THATS A ****EN FOUL." but im just overly competitive so dont mind me.

anyways. heres what i know. these next 2 days (and waiver period) will go a long way in deciding who is the champ will be. its guys like Joe Smith, PJ Brown, and others who make the most clutch shot when your team needs it so badly in May.

see PJ Brown game 7 vs. clevaland.

TheChosenOne88
02-17-2009, 09:31 PM
If the Cavs make this trade one would think they must be making a run at a championship before LeBron leaves. Jamison's contract runs through 2011-2012 which leaves them with that big contract during the 2010 offseason. I have no clue what the Cavs other contracts look like but one would think that if they want to keep LeBron they would want the cash to re-sign him.

As you can tell from last year's trade deadline, Dan Gilbert doesn't care about what it costs to win a championship. Other teams may be trying to cut payroll, but not the Cavs. Getting Jamison will improve our chances at getting a championship, I'd rather have Jamison than VC on my team.

MJ-BULLS
02-17-2009, 09:33 PM
they are not going to get him

GoatMilk
02-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Can't see Washington helping Cleveland, but you never know
the Lakers and Celtics made a trade back in 04. remember? GP for Mihm/Atkins

BTownTeamsRKing
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Can't see Washington helping Cleveland, but you never know
the Lakers and Celtics made a trade back in 04. remember? GP for Mihm/Atkins

blockbuster.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-17-2009, 09:37 PM
i personally hate his style of play. its very cheap and insulting to real players. not kidding, everytime he flops, i want someone to punch him in the face and yell "THATS A ****EN FOUL." but im just overly competitive so dont mind me.

anyways. heres what i know. these next 2 days (and waiver period) will go a long way in deciding who is the champ will be. its guys like Joe Smith, PJ Brown, and others who make the most clutch shot when your team needs it so badly in May.

see PJ Brown game 7 vs. clevaland.

Your definitely right. His style of play is cheap, and I would hate him if he didn't play for Cleveland. But I still would say he is a legit backup PF/C who hustles his butt off.

Yeah I also agree Cleveland needs that's PJ Brown, its really amazing what he did for you guys like you said especially in game 7.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Your definitely right. His style of play is cheap, and I would hate him if he didn't play for Cleveland. But I still would say he is a legit backup PF/C who hustles his butt off.

Yeah I also agree Cleveland needs that's PJ Brown, its really amazing what he did for you guys like you said especially in game 7.

right. no question AV can play, but my God, i get so pissed watching him draw the dumbest fouls.

next couple of days will be interesting for sure. even if nothing happens.
ill be working at home on thursday with espnnews on all day.

i just wonder who will be that guy that a contender picks up who makes one basket all game and it decides the game.

Kakaroach
02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
blockbuster. I know right lmao. Anyway, this trade is not gonna happen because the Wizards would end up with like 15 wins or something.