PDA

View Full Version : Griffey "plays" Braves/DOB hate thread

baseballs14d
02-17-2009, 01:35 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/02/17/braves_griffey.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

ugafan
02-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Yaaayyyy!!!!

thedfactor
02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Another big name lands in the N.L. East

GLASSMAN
02-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Good job Mr. Wren. Now let's get Tommy and Chipper squared away an its on to the business of winning.

shocker_21
02-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Great news...I still think he can hit .280 25-30 HR and 80-90 RBI. Huge upgrade from Diaz/Jones, now Griffey/Diaz and the option to play him in center if we need to. This is exciting!

goBraves217!
02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
What will the Braves lineup look like now on days that Griffey is in left?

baseballislife7
02-17-2009, 02:39 PM
I expect Griffey to hit 15-20 HR and 60+ Rbi. The only problem is when he gets hot, Cox is going to want to play him everyday. I think as long as he gets his days off like he is supposed to he will be a great player for us. Hopefully he plays in around 100 games. He may hit more HR then that with proper days off. Add Diaz and his 10+ HR and 50 Rbi and we have a two headed LF monster.

uncblue2332
02-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Great news...I still think he can hit .280 25-30 HR and 80-90 RBI. Huge upgrade from Diaz/Jones, now Griffey/Diaz and the option to play him in center if we need to. This is exciting!

Your on crack......but I do like the signing

baseballislife7
02-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah the only way he hits that many HR and Rbi is if he is an everyday starter. 15-20 maybe stretching it, but I believe Griffey will get enough at bats against RHP and late inning situations to hit in this range.

baseballs14d
02-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Its now on Braves.com

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090217&content_id=3839370&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Greeklegend
02-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Hold on. Not so fast. This article states he hasn't made a decision yet and is still thinking.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090217&content_id=3839370&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Says that the article was not accurate.......o no...deja vu all over again?????

baseballs14d
02-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Hold on. Not so fast. This article states he hasn't made a decision yet and is still thinking.

yeah was a differnt article up until about 5 mins ago damn!

Too Big!!
02-17-2009, 03:11 PM
this is why u never get too excited.... ill belieive griffey is signed when he holds up that braves jersey

Chipper
02-17-2009, 03:15 PM
... I will literally just stop reading rumors if Furcal #2 happens again.....

Greeklegend
02-17-2009, 03:16 PM
^^^Lol. Welcome to my world Chip.

ntdwg34
02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I did some number figuring for a diaz/griffey platoon in left. I figured Griffey to get the same number of AB's against RH pitchers as did Franceour from last year and the same for Diaz against LH's. I did not try to estimate PH Ab's or anything like that but just by doing these numbers alone it would project that the duo would hit around 21 Hr's and drive in roughly 75 rbis which would be a vast improvement over the production from a year ago. So you have to root for this signing to go through

hornets24
02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Didn't Jr. just deny the report?!

ntdwg34
02-17-2009, 04:53 PM
yea he did that's why i emphasize hope it goes through

Thibs34
02-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Griffey telling friends he's Atlanta-bound
Views18699Comments23
Posted by: Jon Heyman01:57 PM ET 02.17 SHARE
Ken Griffey Jr. is telling friends he will choose the Braves over the Mariners, sources said.

Griffey's decision has come down to Atlanta or Seattle, where he spent his first 11 major league seasons. The 39-year-old has been favoring the Braves for family reasons, as his permanent home is located in Orlando, Fla.

The 13-time All-Star was hampered by a knee injury last season and hit just .249 with 18 homers and 71 RBIs for the Reds and White Sox.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported earlier on Tuesday that Griffey and the Braves are very close to making an official agreement.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/51021

This was after reports said that there wasn't a decision yet.

Brave4life
02-17-2009, 05:24 PM
I have a question will there be a press conference if he does sign with the braves

Braves83
02-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Sounds like the whole furcal thing over again! HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Then again its the Braves media (DOB) jumping the gun once again. They should shut there mouths and not make new blogs until something official is out.

FWBrodie
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Junior personally sent text messages to the Mariners' GM and manager today telling them that the report that he had made a decision was false.

GLASSMAN
02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Drama, drama, drama....

rtgthree
02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
I really don't think anyone has jumped any guns. O'Brien knows his sources, and he's a fine journalist. He wouldn't print something unless he had the info from a good source...it could kill his reputation if he was found to be doing otherwise. The Furcal signing fooled everyone, since no one had ever seen a term sheet not lead to a contract. As for Peavy, O'Brien was just always saying he THOUGHT it would get done; I don't ever recall seeing him say it WAS done.

I take his reporting to be true when he writes that Ken Griffey Jr. has chosen to sign with the Braves.

bravefan4life
02-17-2009, 06:45 PM
It would be hard to tell your kids that you could be around to see them, but you decide to go remember the old days for a team that has all new faces. With the Braves you get friends ( Chipper and Cox) and you get to be near your family. Money at this point is no difference. I think he for sure chooses Braves

BoundByAxioms
02-17-2009, 06:45 PM
He's going to be a Mariner, according to USA Today!!!

TomahawkChopper
02-17-2009, 07:18 PM

Really? you might want to provide a link so it doesnt just look like your making stuff up, I went and checked USA Today and the only mention of Griffey on their site says Braves have interest in Griffey.

heres DOB's latest post....

"Folks, I can understand why the Furcal situation has you concerned about Griffey, but all I can tell you is, you need not be concerned. Dude is going to be a Brave. Just saying what he needs to say right now because they probably felt bad about Mariners hearing the news second-hand instead of directly from Griffey and his agent."

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2009/02/17/waiting-on-griffeys-decision/

When a journalist goes that far to say it's going to happen even when being questioned I would have to believe he knows what hes talking about. But if he doesnt become a Brave, Im finding DOB and kicking his *** :D

FWBrodie
02-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Griffey said he heard about the story and sent a text message to Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik and CEO Howard Lincoln, telling them that the report was not accurate.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090217&content_id=3839426&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Chipper
02-17-2009, 07:52 PM
When a journalist goes that far to say it's going to happen even when being questioned I would have to believe he knows what hes talking about. But if he doesnt become a Brave, Im finding DOB and kicking his *** :D

May I join :) If this doesn't go down (which I think it will) then I won't be any madder with anyone than DOB. Relaying that kind of stuff when it's 100% is bad for us and the Media.

FWBrodie
02-17-2009, 07:54 PM

Just so you guys know, this guy's an idiot.

jmtapia
02-17-2009, 08:35 PM
^^^Lol...thanks for the advance...

BRAVE KID
02-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Sounds like the whole furcal thing over again! HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Then again its the Braves media (DOB) jumping the gun once again. They should shut there mouths and not make new blogs until something official is out.he basically just answered your statement.

In an effort to be first with the news.can we not wait to announce it until its a done deal?? DHD

Sorry, DHD, but I dont think the majority of fans want us to wait until announcements are made before we report news. We report it when we get it. Thats the nature of the biz, we try to break news. Were confident with our source, and that the story is accurate.http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2009/02/17/waiting-on-griffeys-decision/

BRAVE KID
02-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Now the decision comes tommorow, what is up with the ****ing drama????? Too much drama for an off-season.

BoundByAxioms
02-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Just so you guys know, this guy's an idiot.

Just so you guys know, this guy's a condescending arse, who frequently insults people for their apparent "stupidity," yet is unable to spell properly. Instead of getting offended, perhaps people should develop a sense of humor.

ATLbound
02-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Let's see if he picks Family - he's a Brave - if its' bull **** adulation and getting his head thick - it's Seattle. - Holy Cow - he's a Ball Player - BYE KIDS and HELLO Seattle!
Another Dick Head!

QUE?
02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Would be a great pick up for you guys. A platoon of Junior and Diaz would be sick.

GLASSMAN
02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Just so you guys know, this guy's a condescending arse, who frequently insults people for their apparent "stupidity," yet is unable to spell properly. Instead of getting offended, perhaps people should develop a sense of humor.

No can do, only serious shite in here.:rolleyes:

A_Brave_Pack
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Guys... Griffey will be a Brave. Relax. The only reason he is waiting is out of 'respect' to the fans of Seattle. He doesn't want the fans to feel like he is ungrateful to them and the Mariner organization. I can't remember who said it on here, but Griffey did not want the Mariner FO or their fans to hear he signed with the Braves via media outlets. I feel very confident that the Braves will have a press conference tomorrow afternoon (let's say 2pm EST just for fun) announcing the signings of both Tom Glavine and Ken Griffey Jr. to 1-yr contracts.

However, IF Griffey 're-nigs' on the Braves, there are still other options out there. Swisher or Nady can be made available, plus Garrett Anderson is still unsigned. I'm hoping, just like all other Braves fans, that Griffey is the answer (At least in a platoon role) in the OF. It would be awesome to watch the Kid play in ATL.

WillBravesNY
02-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Lets hope Griffey isnt pulling some Furcal Sh@t

QUE?
02-17-2009, 11:12 PM
The thing is, even if Griffey doesn't sign with the Braves, nobody will hate him like Furcal. Thats how well loved he is throughout the league.

Braves83
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Lets hope Griffey isnt pulling some Furcal Sh@t

no its AJC pulling this again. They should stop writing new articles just because a "friend" saids something to them. They had all the MLB sites going after what AJC reported.

rtgthree
02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
no its AJC pulling this again. They should stop writing new articles just because a "friend" saids something to them. They had all the MLB sites going after what AJC reported.

Dude the Seattle Times reported the story just after the AJC, citing a totally different source. Griffey will be a Brave and no one has jumped any guns. Griffey just wants to work out the last contract details before informing the Mariners of his decision HIMSELF, not by way of the media.

Braves83
02-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Ken Griffey, Jr. to Join Braves
Future Hall of Famer Ken Griffey, Jr. told officials with the Atlanta Braves Tuesday afternoon that he will join the team.
http://www.13wmaz.com/article/20090217/NEWS01/90217028

This was way back at 2pm tho.

BoundByAxioms
02-18-2009, 01:09 AM
That source is as reliable as Rush Limbaugh.

jbizzie10
02-18-2009, 03:43 AM
im really hoping that this deal goes through. i would think that griffy is represented by a better class of agents than furcal was. i dont want to believe that they would let the signals get mixed up that bad. but im a little bias because i really hope he ends up as a brave. he is older but he has one of the best swings in the game. if we platoon him with diaz hopefully he will stay healthy. imagine having chipper and griffy batting 3 or 4 back to back. should help chipper see better pitches.

cntrft76
02-18-2009, 05:09 AM
Jon Heyman on the MLB Network said he thinks its the Braves and that Atlanta seemed very confident about it. He guessed they were maybe waiting to make an announcement because of the A-Rod nonsense yesterday and that he wouldn't be surprised at all if they made that announcement sometime today. Lets hope so

Chipper
02-18-2009, 08:55 AM

You can't even spell *** right...

mgcslugger33
02-18-2009, 11:10 AM
After we sign Griffey, Lets pick up Frank Thomas too. I see he is looking for a team. He could platoon with Kotch. ha

Seriously though, Could you Imagine that lineup 10 years ago?

3. Jones
4. Griffey
5. Thomas

baseballislife7
02-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Nothing set in stone:

By Tim Dierkes [February 18 at 9:58am CST]
9:58am: David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has an update. He believes Griffey has decided to sign with the Braves, and explains Chipper Jones' involvement in the process.

9:06am: MLB.com's Mark Bowman does not believe Griffey has told the Braves his decision yet. It's about time we wrap this thing up, in my opinion.

7:54am: Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times says Ken Griffey Jr. was to meet in the evening with the Braves and was expected to sign off on a deal. An announcement is expected today. Many reporters received similar indications yesterday, even with Griffey and his agent insisting nothing was decided.

Born a Brave
02-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Have we been Furcaled?

http://www.wsbtv.com/sports/18739891/detail.html#-

This will suck if he ends up a Mariner....

NickSC07
02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
I just wish he would make up his mind. If he wants to go to Seattle then please just ****ing sign with them so we can make arrangements to get Swisher, Nady, or Anderson in camp asap. No biggie either way.

baseballislife7
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Another Furcal?
11:19am: A WSB-TV (Atlanta) report indicates that Braves officials believe Griffey is leaning toward the Mariners. I didn't see yall had allready posted that.

baseballislife7
02-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Yeah, he needs to make his decision so we can proceed w/full squad workouts with our LF'ers.

Too Big!!
02-18-2009, 02:29 PM
seriously this is dumb... griffey needs to ****ing pick already.

vtgriff09
02-18-2009, 03:19 PM
i don't know if there's a lot of leaks coming out of this organization, but there's no reason in the world for the Braves to continue to say that they are going to sign someone, and then the next thing you know the guy is heading somewhere else. No one in the organization needs to say a word until the ink is dry on the paper and it's final.

Though I think Griffey should choose the Braves for a couple logical reasons:
1-closer to his home in florida
2- closer to daughter that goes to hs in Georgia
3- always wanted to play with bobby cox
4- would have a better chance to win in the end of his career than Sea (doesn't this guy want atleast a chance at all to get a ring???......i mean he may not get one with the braves, but the chances are 10 times higher than with sea)
5- he would be an integral part of the lineup and hit in the middle of it in ATL, who knows where he'll hit in ATL

**if this is about .2 million dollars or something like that, i would definately think less of Griffey. It's obvious this guy has racked up huge money in the past (a lot of it he earned on the DL doing nothing for it) and now at the end of his career he has a chance to try and win and be close to home.....i'd hope it's not about chump change to a future HOF player like him.

Chipper
02-18-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm starting to wish he'd just go already. I'm already seeing his ego from here. If you ask for a team to offer so you could sign with them, and they offer, just sign with them instead of wasting there time. Otherwise, GTFO. Let's just get Swisher and bid Mr. Griffey a fond farewell. He had his chance, didn't take it, bye!

Jon93405
02-18-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm starting to wish he'd just go already. I'm already seeing his ego from here. If you ask for a team to offer so you could sign with them, and they offer, just sign with them instead of wasting there time. Otherwise, GTFO. Let's just get Swisher and bid Mr. Griffey a fond farewell. He had his chance, didn't take it, bye!

You don't know everything going on. Wait until we actually hear something concrete before you run Griffey out of town. He's deciding where he'll play what will probably be the final year of his career.

BRAVE KID
02-18-2009, 05:19 PM
I still trust DOB, his info is very valuable but the more we wait, you would have to think the worse it becomes for the Braves. I am still patient, but I don't like the "he should decide by tommorow", when tommorow is already ere, it wouldn't surprise me if he prolongs it again.

sNaKeS
02-18-2009, 05:51 PM

All the stuff you're hearing is from the media, not Griffey. All he has done is take his time and evaluate his decisions. If the braves would offer him more money then he would have signed by now and that's my guess. Unless you're impatient with the time, as am I cause everybody is in orlando already and he remains to be seen, but otherwise he's doing what any logical person would do and sit down with his family and think things over. Remember, he hasn't said anything concrete yet about who he's leaning towards or anything like that. But I just wish he would make up his mind already and get on with it.

Brave4life
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Is it true that he is the one that called the braves up, Is that is true then i have a feeling he is going to be with the braves

vtgriff09
02-18-2009, 06:39 PM
i think a lot of Griffey delaying his decision could also be that he didn't want him signing in his first free agency of his career to be brushed under the carpet and unheard because of all the media hype around A-Rod.

Also, if we sign Glavine, we will be up against our budget if we bring in Swisher. Swisher is a gamble, with a lot of money owed to him over the next 3 yrs (and it gets incrementally higher each yr). If he does not break out from his poor performance last season, the Braves would be stuck with a large lump sum taking up their budget in the OF. Additionally, Griffey is a one yr committment at a low rate (around 2 mill).....and that is a steal for a guy who is several million below swisher, and currently produces similar (maybe better) stats than Swisher. Plus this one yr deal to griffey allows our younger players to be groomed one more yr, and then they can take over the reigns.

bravefan4life
02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
This just needs to be finished. The excitement is over, now I just want to move on.

TomahawkChopper
02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
I still trust DOB, his info is very valuable but the more we wait, you would have to think the worse it becomes for the Braves. I am still patient, but I don't like the "he should decide by tommorow", when tommorow is already ere, it wouldn't surprise me if he prolongs it again.

I think DOB needs to learn to keep his mouth shut sometimes for the good of this organization. Him repeatidly reporting that Griffey has already made a decision is obviously not sitting well with JR. Whether its right or not its time to shut up and back off of it before he pisses him off to much to where he signs with Seattle out of spite. I know some of you are going to say this is ridiculous and a writer can not affect a players decision or a signing. Well let me tell you about a similar situation a long time ago when Iverson was still playing with the Sixers Billy King had a deal worked out to trade for T-Mac (I believe it was him not sure it was so long ago) but Stephen A Smith reported a lil to early before it was done and scared the other GM who proceeded to back.

I think Griffey wants to sign with us and if he doesnt, in my mind the blame lies with AJC and DOB.

BRAVE KID
02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
By the way, Larry Stone is covering the Ken Griffey Jr. story from Braves training camp in Florida and reported this morning that all signs point to Griffey heading to Atlanta. He spoke with Chipper Jones as well, who seems convinced his good friend is joining the Braves. The interview was fairly extensive and Stone lays it all out for you. A good read. I don't know what else to tell you at this point. I've seen the other denials and rumors floating around the internet, but we'll have to stick to what the folks close to Griffey and the Braves keep saying. http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/index.html#037829

so not only DOB but the dude on this mariners blog(seems crediable), seems to believe girffey is ours. All frustration not only here but over there apparently.

BRAVE KID
02-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I think DOB needs to learn to keep his mouth shut sometimes for the good of this organization. Him repeatidly reporting that Griffey has already made a decision is obviously not sitting well with JR. Whether its right or not its time to shut up and back off of it before he pisses him off to much to where he signs with Seattle out of spite. I know some of you are going to say this is ridiculous and a writer can not affect a players decision or a signing. Well let me tell you about a similar situation a long time ago when Iverson was still playing with the Sixers Billy King had a deal worked out to trade for T-Mac (I believe it was him not sure it was so long ago) but Stephen A Smith reported a lil to early before it was done and scared the other GM who proceeded to back.

I think Griffey wants to sign with us and if he doesnt, in my mind the blame lies with AJC and DOB.lol, patience man. He is just doing what he is suppose to be doing and that is reporting what he hears (I believe I posted it in here what he exactly said). Well for one that deal was for a trade, this is a free agency, everybody knows the braves and mariners are interested, I don't see the braves getting scared or Mariners getting scared and backing off.

Griffey asked for this to happen, he called the braves and CJ about his interest for playing the braves. This isn't an issue of what DOB is doing, it's and issue with Griffey and his heart for seattle.

TomahawkChopper
02-18-2009, 07:05 PM
lol, patience man. He is just doing what he is suppose to be doing and that is reporting what he hears (I believe I posted it in here what he exactly said). Well for one that deal was for a trade, this is a free agency, everybody knows the braves and mariners are interested, I don't see the braves getting scared or Mariners getting scared and backing off.

Griffey asked for this to happen, he called the braves and CJ about his interest for playing the braves. This isn't an issue of what DOB is doing, it's and issue with Griffey and his heart for seattle.

I wasnt suggesting the Braves or Mariners would get scared I was just using that as an example of how silly and irresponsible reporting can affect a team. I am suggesting that tho DOB could piss Griffey off to the point where he jets for Seattle. Griffey said what DOB said wasnt true, and regardless whether it was or not obviously he didnt want to be known yet, so I think for the better of the Braves DOB needs to respect that and keep his mouth shut. By repeatidly making posts saying dont worry hes already signed and hes just doing this, he is in essence calling Griffey a liar(again whether he is or not doesnt matter) it could piss him off to the point where he chooses against us because of it.

Hurtin' M's Fan
02-18-2009, 07:32 PM
I really don't see why Atl. would want Jr. He is best suited for the DH role and the rare OF start. He could play almost a full season as a DH. Safeco was designed for him. The fans idolize him in Seattle. He should retire there...no question. On the other hand, you can't blame a guy for wanting to be near his family.

Ah well. I'd love to see him return home but if he signs in Atl. so be it. He's not the same player anymore and maybe it's best we remember him the way he was.

Anyway, I hope this is done tomorrow.

TomahawkChopper
02-18-2009, 07:44 PM
I really don't see why Atl. would want Jr. He is best suited for the DH role and the rare OF start. He could play almost a full season as a DH. Safeco was designed for him. The fans idolize him in Seattle. He should retire there...no question. On the other hand, you can't blame a guy for wanting to be near his family.

Ah well. I'd love to see him return home but if he signs in Atl. so be it. He's not the same player anymore and maybe it's best we remember him the way he was.

Anyway, I hope this is done tomorrow.

I think its pretty obvious why ATL would want JR. JR/Diaz Platoon is much better then any other platoon we can throw out there and not to mention Griffey still MASHES Right-handed pitching. Not to mention the pinch hit situations we will get with him on the days he's not in the game.

I agree with you tho the sooner this thing is over the better regardless of the outcome.

braves#1
02-18-2009, 09:30 PM
BREAKING NEWS- Griffey to Seattle

Happened to us again

abraves90
02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3917214
wow

bravesatl
02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
no need to be mad at griffey, he didnt do to us what furcal did to us, a lot of these sources are "confirming" things based purely on speculation and its not right....

Bravefan29
02-18-2009, 09:37 PM
OMG I am tired of this **** already, this is quite disheartening, lets just get a LF who wants to play here and get on with spring training, unfracking believable.

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 09:40 PM
no need to be mad at griffey, he didnt do to us what furcal did to us, a lot of these sources are "confirming" things based purely on speculation and its not right....

EXCEPT that Griffey called the Braves and lobbied for an offer so he could play here. Griffey called Chipper, told Chipper of his desire to play for the Braves, and then once he got the offer from the Braves, essentially put the squeeze on the Mariners to increase their offer ($1.5mil).

Shrewd...So don't paint Griffey out as a saint in all of this.

Bravefan29
02-18-2009, 09:56 PM
I hate to say it, I am one of the biggest Griffey fans but he played us to get seattle to be more interested....man this is sick, he is one of the best players of all time and I will always respect the man but he played us, and it seems like he played Chipper.:confused:

BoundByAxioms
02-18-2009, 10:46 PM
You can't even spell *** right...

I can't exactly swear on PSD, now can I? Look up the definition of the word "arse," it's a real word, with a meaning different than what you think it is. To Atlanta fans, I'm sorry things turned out this way. Garret Anderson is probably better than Griffey anyway.

Chipper
02-18-2009, 10:57 PM
I can't exactly swear on PSD, now can I? Look up the definition of the word "arse," it's a real word, with a meaning different than what you think it is. To Atlanta fans, I'm sorry things turned out this way. Garret Anderson is probably better than Griffey anyway.

I was only teasing :p

BoundByAxioms
02-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Lol. I'm a bit of a hypocrite then. I guess I should develop a sense of humor now :p

bravesatl
02-18-2009, 11:09 PM
EXCEPT that Griffey called the Braves and lobbied for an offer so he could play here. Griffey called Chipper, told Chipper of his desire to play for the Braves, and then once he got the offer from the Braves, essentially put the squeeze on the Mariners to increase their offer ($1.5mil).

Shrewd...So don't paint Griffey out as a saint in all of this.

how do you know griffey called the braves and chipper? because mlbtraderumors.com said so? they also said that griffey to ATL was practically a done deal, i'm not believing any of that and i'm not blaming griffey for anything....

Thibs34
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
I think its about time the Writers for the braves find a different job. They are a joke and they don't know when to keep their mouth shut. Once again they jumped the gun and scared our team away. Now we are sitting here with option to at every spot we looked for. Way to go writers.

BRAVE KID
02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
oh god we have AJC posters in here, great if you are going to make a living doing this forever, then please go over there to post

A_Brave_Pack
02-18-2009, 11:32 PM
how do you know griffey called the braves and chipper? because mlbtraderumors.com said so? they also said that griffey to ATL was practically a done deal, i'm not believing any of that and i'm not blaming griffey for anything....

No. Because Chipper and DOB say so. And fine, don't blame Griffey. That's your prerogative.

A conversation with Chipper Jones 15 minutes ago only underscored that belief.

All signs are good, said Chipper, whos talked to Griffey daily for the past week. But Im not going to smile until hes signed.

(For the record, Chipper smiled as he said that.)

Anyway, heres what Chipper said about his pal and fellow former MVP Griffey, whom hes talked to at least once a day for the past week about coming to Atlanta, fielding questions from The Kid about clubhouse atmosphere, team chemistry, etc.

Chipper elaborated on the role hes played in this whole whirlwind negotiation, which began when Griffey contacted a Braves employee last week and asked that he let GM Frank Wren know that Griffey was interested in playing for the Braves and that it wasnt a fait accompli (as had been reported) that hed go back to Seattle.

Griffey called Chipper at about the same time, reiterating what hed said to him many times in recent years.

I guess he thinks Ive got some pull over here, Jones said, smiling. Hes always wanted to play over here. He loves Bobby [Cox]. Now hes got his opportunity. Hopefully hell be patrolling left field pretty soon.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 04:57 PM
No. Because Chipper and DOB say so. And fine, don't blame Griffey. That's your prerogative.

What is there to "blame" Griffey for? What exactly did he do wrong? He solicited an offer from the Braves, and then decided that the Mariners' offer was better. What's wrong with that?

A_Brave_Pack
02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
What is there to "blame" Griffey for? What exactly did he do wrong? He solicited an offer from the Braves, and then decided that the Mariners' offer was better. What's wrong with that?

The reason that some (myself included) 'blame' Griffey is due to the fact that he (and his agent) used the Braves to gain leverage in negotiations with the Mariners. If Griffey truly felt in his heart that Seattle was the place where he was going, and he belonged, then why did he call and start negotiations with the Braves. I think what I have the biggest problem with is that Griffey put the Braves in a position that he became their sole priority. Furthermore, I personally blame Griffey for calling and playing Chipper Jones in this whole process. Chipper truly felt like Griffey was interested in coming to the Braves, otherwise I do not believe that Chipper would have volunteered any information so freely. That's just my two cents, I could be wrong. I just feel like Griffey played the Braves pretty hard, and ended up with a far more lucrative contract from the Mariners.

NxA04
02-19-2009, 05:12 PM
This is my first post but been reading for a while... Guys the thing that makes me mad out of all the JR crap doesnt have have anything to him or DOB. Its has to do with Mr. Hank Aaron himself. Does he know who he works for? How the hell can you tell someone that the team you work for is tring to sign to go play for other team. I dont care if he's in HOF or not that is just f'ed up that he told JR to sign with the Mariners. JS and the Braves need to have a little talk with Hank.

"Willie Mays and Hank Aaron — who ended their careers in the city they started — both gave The Kid some advice to return to Seattle"

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
The reason that some (myself included) 'blame' Griffey is due to the fact that he (and his agent) used the Braves to gain leverage in negotiations with the Mariners.

So? How's that wrong? If I want to build a house, I'm going to go solicit bids from multiple contractors. I use them to create leverage against one another. Is that bad?

If Griffey truly felt in his heart that Seattle was the place where he was going, and he belonged, then why did he call and start negotiations with the Braves.

Because maybe he didn't KNOW his heart was in Seattle. You make it sound like he knew he was Seattle-bound and THEN he called the Braves. Maybe he liked the idea of playing in Atlanta, called the Braves to see if they were interested, and THEN wound up deciding he preferred Seattle's offer. Just because he chose Seattle doesn't mean he never wanted to play in Atlanta.

I think what I have the biggest problem with is that Griffey put the Braves in a position that he became their sole priority.

That would be the Braves' own fault. He didn't force them to focus on him. They could have kept negotiating with other people on the side (and who says they didn't?). You CANNOT blame Griffey because the Braves decided to make him a priority.

Furthermore, I personally blame Griffey for calling and playing Chipper Jones in this whole process. Chipper truly felt like Griffey was interested in coming to the Braves, otherwise I do not believe that Chipper would have volunteered any information so freely.

Who says Griffey WASN'T interested in coming to the Braves? It's not like you can only have one team you want to play for. As for Chipper's involvement, there's nothing wrong with a player calling another player and asking what the team environment is like and whatnot. That's a fair question. And there's no reason to believe that the interest Griffey expressed to Chipper wasn't genuine.

I just feel like Griffey played the Braves pretty hard, and ended up with a far more lucrative contract from the Mariners.

Again...how's that wrong?

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
This is my first post but been reading for a while... Guys the thing that makes me mad out of all the JR crap doesnt have have anything to him or DOB. Its has to do with Mr. Hank Aaron himself. Does he know who he works for? How the hell can you tell someone that the team you work for is tring to sign to go play for other team. I dont care if he's in HOF or not that is just f'ed up that he told JR to sign with the Mariners. JS and the Braves need to have a little talk with Hank.

"Willie Mays and Hank Aaron who ended their careers in the city they started both gave The Kid some advice to return to Seattle"

Just because Aaron works for the Braves doesn't mean it's his responsibility to be a Braves' propaganda machine. He is allowed to give Griffey his honest opinion. Nothing wrong with that...it's not that Aaron badmouthed the Braves, it's that he believes in finishing where you started. Aaron should not be forced to lie to Griffey just because he's a Braves employee.

NxA04
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Sorry, I work for a popular company here in Atl and if I were to tell one of our recuits to go to another company my ***** and job would be gone. Baseball should be the same. Aaron works for the Braves and should do what is best for the Braves not screw them from signing someone. Ive meet Mr. Aaron a few times in person and he was a jerk because he acts like everyone owes him something but this just make me dislike Hank even more.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Sorry, I work for a popular company here in Atl and if I were to tell one of our recuits to go to another company my ***** and job would be gone. Baseball should be the same. Aaron works for the Braves and should do what is best for the Braves not screw them from signing someone. Ive meet Mr. Aaron a few times in person and he was a jerk because he acts like everyone owes him something but this just make me dislike Hank even more.

So if a close friend of yours was interviewing at your company, and you knew that he'd be happier working for a different company, you'd just keep on recruiting him? Even when you were absolutely confident that he should go elsewhere?

Leave your personal opinion of Aaron out of this; if you don't like Aaron, that's one thing. That doesn't make him wrong for doing what he did with Griffey.

NxA04
02-19-2009, 06:16 PM
rtg You must be one of the people in Atl that is in love with Aaron. He's not mr brave by any chance. that would go to Dale, Chipper, Smoltz, or Maddux.

Yea if a close friend of mine interview at my company I would that the company I work for would do what ever it could for him and help him in any way that it can. No your not always going to be happy with the company but they do stick by your side no matter what.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 06:26 PM
rtg You must be one of the people in Atl that is in love with Aaron. He's not mr brave by any chance. that would go to Dale, Chipper, Smoltz, or Maddux.

I've got no special love for Aaron. I'm merely saying that your judgment of his character plays no role in the examination of his actions in Griffey's case. No one is "Mr. Brave" in my mind.

Yea if a close friend of mine interview at my company I would that the company I work for would do what ever it could for him and help him in any way that it can. No your not always going to be happy with the company but they do stick by your side no matter what.

I'm not exactly sure what you're SAYING here, but I find it hard to believe you're really saying you'd put the interests of your company over those of a dear friend. Maybe you have a truly special relationship with your employer (and that's great, if you do). If it was me, I'd tell my friend I'd love to have him at my firm, but that I really think he'd be happier taking a different offer. I imagine that's exactly what Aaron said to Griffey; no reason to believe Aaron slandered the Braves.

NxA04
02-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Its Clear that the Braves players are upset with DOB. Huddy got into an argue ment with him today about his story making JR mad and not signing with the braves. here the link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-braves-griffeyfallout&prov=ap&type=lgns

TomahawkChopper
02-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Its Clear that the Braves players are upset with DOB. Huddy got into an argue ment with him today about his story making JR mad and not signing with the braves. here the link.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-braves-griffeyfallout&prov=ap&type=lgns

Woooo WTG Huddy!

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 06:55 PM

Actually, O'Brien says Hudson argued with him over something entirely different. O'Brien wrote the other day (clearly speculating) that Anthony Lerew and Gregor Blanco might be leading candidates to be removed from the roster to accomodate the signings of Griffey and Tom Glavine. Somehow that got translated along the way to "Lerew and Blanco HAVE BEEN removed from the roster," which obviously O'Brien never said. (This is why I can't stand it when people quote on here from MLB Trade Rumors instead of the original source; that's just lazy and MLBTR often misrepresents the articles that it posts). So Hudson was upset.

I hate to see an article like this. In my mind, the biggest problem with not getting Griffey is that it kills the good clubhouse vibe we had going. We can find production elsewhere, but now you've got frustrated players in camp, and that's not good. This whole situation has gotten WAY out of hand over a blog where opinion was misinterpreted as fact, and where some idiot writing headlines misrepresented the content of an article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It's not a good portent as spring training gets going.

NxA04
02-19-2009, 07:03 PM
RTG is standing up for his boy DOB once again. RTG do you have a man crush on DOB? Your always taking his side on everything that he screws up.

TomahawkChopper
02-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Actually, O'Brien says Hudson argued with him over something entirely different.

Yah, cause his word can be taken at face value. Im going to have to go with the CBS report until Hudson says differently.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 07:10 PM
RTG is standing up for his boy DOB once again. RTG do you have a man crush on DOB? Your always taking his side on everything that he screws up.

How am I taking his side here? I'm actually just taking a stand against false reporting right now, because this Yahoo article clearly implies that the argument between Hudson and an unnamed reporter was about Griffey. That's not true. That's not standing up for anyone, unless you consider a statement of fact to be "standing up for someone".

You don't like it when O'Brien posts ambiguous facts, but it's OK when Yahoo does it, and anyone who clarifies the ambiguity in Yahoo's reporting is "standing up" for O'Brien? That sounds a bit hypocritical to me.

As I've said before, I have nothing invested in O'Brien, except for two reasons: 1) we'd have nothing to talk about if we discredited all his work; and 2) I hate it when baseball fans irrationally take out their frustration on players, writers, owners, union reps, or anyone else when things don't go their way. I don't blame O'Brien any more than I blame Griffey or John Smoltz for leaving or A.J. Burnett for "using the Braves as leverage." That's all I'm saying.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Yah, cause his word can be taken at face value. Im going to have to go with the CBS report until Hudson says differently.

OK, so now everything O'Brien writes is false? You either believe him or you don't...you don't get to pick some middle ground where you believe the things you want to hear and reject the stuff that you don't like. I have no problem if you want to think O'Brien reports zero truth, but just understand that means you can't ever believe anything he writes.

Unless you believe O'Brien is deliberately falsifying things, you have no basis to question him on that (since there is no intermediate "source" that could be screwing up). Again, you're welcome to believe that, but your choice to do so has implications.

EDIT: It's also important that you realize that the CBS report DOESN'T SPECIFY the topic of the argument. So O'Brien's story and the Yahoo report aren't contradictory. By rejecting O'Brien's side of the story (even though it doesn't conflict with Yahoo's version), you are effectively reading something into Yahoo's story that isn't there, AND THEN you are choosing to believe that over an explicit discussion of what did happen. That's a pretty intense failure of reading comprehension right there.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 07:41 PM

Just as an additional note, O'Brien posted his version of the story BEFORE the Yahoo story was released. So it's not like DOB posted "his version" as a defense.

TomahawkChopper
02-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Sorry Ive been trying to post this response for a while now but the site kept crapping out on me and saying the server was to busy anyway....

Like I said if Hudson comes out and says it was over something else I will believe it. But right now we have at least a couple (that ive seen) , CBS and Yahoo, reporting that it was over the Griffey situation and apparently the only one saying its about something different and thats David O'Brien which I choose to no longer listen, read, or believe anything he has to say.

and btw I am not picking and choosing anything here. I have never liked his stuff in the first place but at least gave it a read every now and then figuring he was reliable. But from now on that wont be the case, I will not be taking anything from him at face value.

The thing I dont understand RTG is this, in an earlier post of yours you said about the people who are upset with him it is their fault for believing what he said and allowing themselves to get excited about it. But now your saying if we choose no longer to believe him and allow ourself to be effected by what he says we have no implications to do so. Not only that you go further to say that SOLELY because David O'Brien said it was about something else that it is a FACT. So if that is true when he says "trust me dude is going to be a Brave" shouldnt that also be fact. you know you don't get to pick some middle ground where some things are undoubtedly facts because he said it and some arent.

TomahawkChopper
02-19-2009, 08:39 PM
EDIT: It's also important that you realize that the CBS report DOESN'T SPECIFY the topic of the argument. So O'Brien's story and the Yahoo report aren't contradictory. By rejecting O'Brien's side of the story (even though it doesn't conflict with Yahoo's version), you are effectively reading something into Yahoo's story that isn't there, AND THEN you are choosing to believe that over an explicit discussion of what did happen. That's a pretty intense failure of reading comprehension right there.

Ok I see what your trying to do here by trying to find any lil thing you can to take a jab, but you need to rethink your reading comprehension comment.

Here is the quote...

"But there was clearly some bitterness over the turn of events, some of it directed at media outlets that reported Griffey had decided to play for Atlanta. Pitcher Tim Hudson got into a heated argument in the clubhouse with a newspaper reporter, claiming his story angered Griffey and led him to back out of dealings with the Braves. A team official had to step in and lead Hudson to a back room."

Take a second look at the bolded, that right there def suggests that the turn of events had something to do with the argument.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 08:54 PM
thats David O'Brien which I choose to no longer listen, read, or believe anything he has to say.

Fair enough. But of all the irrational things I've ever heard you say, this takes the cake. Your feelings are really that hurt?

and btw I am not picking and choosing anything here. I have never liked his stuff in the first place but at least gave it a read every now and then figuring he was reliable.

Again, I don't like his stuff either. I'm not a fan of O'Brien's, but let's face it: ignoring him means you're going to be late hearing about most of the Braves' dealings.

The thing I dont understand RTG is this, in an earlier post of yours you said about the people who are upset with him it is their fault for believing what he said and allowing themselves to get excited about it. But now your saying if we choose no longer to believe him and allow ourself to be effected by what he says we have no implications to do so.

Uh, that doesn't mean anything at all. Either there's a typo or you don't know what "implications" means. You get to decide for yourself whether to believe O'Brien or not; I've said that all along. Means it's your fault for letting yourself get excited. What I said subsequently was: "Unless you believe O'Brien is deliberately falsifying things, you have no basis to question him on that (since there is no intermediate "source" that could be screwing up). Again, you're welcome to believe that, but your choice to do so has implications."

What I mean by that (if you define "implications" properly) is that if you believe nothing O'Brien says, then you believe NOTHING O'Brien says. Literally. Any news he breaks first, you have to deny it until you get confirmation from another source. You can't discuss any rumor reported by O'Brien, unless you join the discussion to say "there's no way this can be true since the reporter is trash." So, again, you'd have been denying the Vazquez trade, the Lowe signing, the Kawakami signing and the Infante extension until they were reported by other sources. Again, I respect your decision if that's what you decide, but just understand the IMPLICATIONS of making such a decision.

Not only that you go further to say that SOLELY because David O'Brien said it was about something else that it is a FACT. So if that is true when he says "trust me dude is going to be a Brave" shouldnt that also be fact. you know you don't get to pick some middle ground where some things are undoubtedly facts because he said it and some arent.

I don't say that O'Brien's story is fact; I'm merely noting that it's not contradictory to the Yahoo report, so there's no reason you can't believe BOTH. And when he writes a recount of something that happened to him (i.e., "I got yelled at by Tim Hudson today over X, Y and Z"), that's very different than when he writes speculation (i.e., "trust me, X is going to happen). Notice one is past tense and one is future tense? Totally different circumstances, since one comes out of his own memory and one must be coming from outside sources. So is everything he says fact? Absolutely not. But when he says "this happened to me today," I'm inclined to believe he's not making stuff up. When he tells me that he's live blogging with Kelly Johnson, I believe that Kelly Johnson is actually sitting there (maybe that makes me naive, I don't know). There's a difference between speculation and reporting, and you have to be able to identify that difference, or your head is going to spin reading the daily baseball rumors.

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Ok I see what your trying to do here by trying to find any lil thing you can to take a jab, but you need to rethink your reading comprehension comment.

Here is the quote...

"But there was clearly some bitterness over the turn of events, some of it directed at media outlets that reported Griffey had decided to play for Atlanta. Pitcher Tim Hudson got into a heated argument in the clubhouse with a newspaper reporter, claiming his story angered Griffey and led him to back out of dealings with the Braves. A team official had to step in and lead Hudson to a back room."

Take a second look at the bolded, that right there def suggests that the turn of events had something to do with the argument.

I read the report, including all the bolded portions. That still doesn't mean the reports have to be contradictory: is Hudson only allowed to be angry about one thing at a time? The Yahoo reporter chooses to emphasize the part about Griffey because that makes his story better--don't kid yourself, the media (O'Brien included) sensationalize these stories. O'Brien recounts the part about Blanco and Lerew.

Doesn't mean both didn't happen, and if anything, a closer reading of the Yahoo story makes Hudson look like even more of a fool. Hudson needs to keep his head on the baseball field and his nose out of the team's press. The Braves have a whole PR department to deal with David O'Brien; they pay their pitchers to pitch, not to yell at reporters.

Now this story gets out through Yahoo, makes it sound like the clubhouse is fragmented, now we've got a "pall" over our spring training. Why can't the team just ignore the press and PLAY BASEBALL?

rtgthree
02-19-2009, 11:09 PM
I just want to ask a question, and I'm asking sincerely:

There was a lot at stake in Griffey's decision. There were millions of dollars on the line (it's still a lot of money, even if he is all set financially). The legacy of a Hall of Fame playing career was at stake. The welfare and happiness of his wife and three children were in play. Do you really, truly believe that Griffey changed his mind over a newspaper article?

Just a question.

EDIT: Also bears worth mentioning that the Seattle Times reported this story soon after O'Brien broke it. Mariners beat writer Geoff Baker says specifically that he had an independent source (i.e., he wasn't just piggybacking on DOB's story). Strange that it didn't anger Griffey that a Seattle paper was reporting that Griffey had chosen the Braves as well.
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2009/02/17/griffey_to_braves_done_deal.html

njbravefan
02-19-2009, 11:16 PM
I for one, do not think the article played a large role. Griffey would have been better off with the Braves, and will actually be blocking some young players' ABs on a team that is in no way improved by signing him, much as the Braves bringing back Glavine.

TomahawkChopper
02-20-2009, 12:21 AM

There was a lot at stake in Griffey's decision. There were millions of dollars on the line (it's still a lot of money, even if he is all set financially). The legacy of a Hall of Fame playing career was at stake. The welfare and happiness of his wife and three children were in play. Do you really, truly believe that Griffey changed his mind over a newspaper article?

Just a question.

EDIT: Also bears worth mentioning that the Seattle Times reported this story soon after O'Brien broke it. Mariners beat writer Geoff Baker says specifically that he had an independent source (i.e., he wasn't just piggybacking on DOB's story). Strange that it didn't anger Griffey that a Seattle paper was reporting that Griffey had chosen the Braves as well.
http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2009/02/17/griffey_to_braves_done_deal.html

Solely no, but do I believe it played a part yes. I truely do. Even David O'Brien himself admits that Griffeys agent ended any contact with Wren as soon as the article hit. To be honest I really dont even care about Griffey, this might even turn out to be better for us. But i just cant phathom how a writer who has his job because of a team would continue to do something that could POSSIBLY hurt that organization.

As far as being late not that much Ken Rosenthals has often broke some stories first and if he doesnt they are very shortly after. At least I'll know its for real when he says it and I wont have to listen to anyone spout off trash like dude its going to happen trust me.

EDIT: Also RTG your changing your arguement from before, now your saying there is nothing to prove that both O'brien and the Yahoo article cant both be right. Earlier you said you were standing up against false reporting because the Yahoo Article was completely wrong I can get your quote for you if you'd like.

jmtapia
02-20-2009, 07:29 AM

Just a question.

Not that the article changed his mind or anything but IMO the whole Griffey situation got to weird and Griffey wasnt going to take any chances to ruining his name in the eyes of Seattle fans....

Braves83
02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
But there was clearly some bitterness over the turn of events, some of it directed at media outlets that reported Griffey had decided to play for Atlanta. Pitcher Tim Hudson got into a heated argument in the clubhouse with a newspaper reporter, claiming his story angered Griffey and led him to back out of dealings with the Braves. A team official had to step in and lead Hudson to a back room.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/02/19/sports/BBN-Braves-Griffey-Fallout.php

BravoFan3736
02-20-2009, 01:31 PM
But there was clearly some bitterness over the turn of events, some of it directed at media outlets that reported Griffey had decided to play for Atlanta. Pitcher Tim Hudson got into a heated argument in the clubhouse with a newspaper reporter, claiming his story angered Griffey and led him to back out of dealings with the Braves. A team official had to step in and lead Hudson to a back room.

Look I truely believe that Griffey used the Braves to up the offer from Seattle which they did with more $$ and Coaching job after his playing days are over. With some input from Willie Mays/Hank Aaron (Which I don't understand why he would advice him not to sign with braves) to go back to his orginal team that he broke into the majors. Yes, DOB has to shoulder some blame but his source was Terrence Moore which both where in making of the headline in the AJC. Terrence either got played by one of Griffey's friends and told DOB which than put it up on the ACJ/Blog without verifying the source which was a friend of Griffey where Terrence is orginal from Cinn.
DOB has lost creditability with players which may cost him his job if no ones is willing to talk with him the inside scoop on daily issues.

I hope this may be a blessing in disguise which we have had a few with Fookie,Burnett, and now KGJ which may turn out better with other options but time will only tell. Griffey would rather get more $$ and the job rather than be closer to his family and play for bobby cox with a contending team.

Move on with our next option of GA/Edmonds......
DOB needs to get his head out of his hass before they boot him to the curb.The one thing that does rub me the wrong way is that he can't acknowledge that he may play some part (even a small part) in griffey's decision...

Braves83
02-20-2009, 01:45 PM
The one thing that does rub me the wrong way is that he can't acknowledge that he may play some part (even a small part) in griffey's decision...

that's the part that makes me mad as well. He can't sit there for one second and just say he is wrong for doing this. Posting new articles and blogs just because a "friend" saids something is just wrong. It sure doesn't help this team to have people in our media. Its bad enough its hard to get players in here now players aren't going to come here because they might think these people might write false info on them or spread rumors. You just never know what is going through their head.

rtgthree
02-20-2009, 02:55 PM
DOB needs to get his head out of his hass before they boot him to the curb.The one thing that does rub me the wrong way is that he can't acknowledge that he may play some part (even a small part) in griffey's decision...

First, he's not going to get "booted to the curb." The man is the vice president of the Baseball Writers Association of America.

Second, so what if the article plays a part in Griffey's decision? O'Brien's job is to report, not to be concerned for the consequences of his report. As long as what he's reporting facts (which he was), he should report them and be unconcerned with whether that helps or hurts the Braves.

Chipper
02-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I believe he's supposed to be Non-Biased too. Not sure on that, so rtg is right. Even if it hurts the Braves chances on something he is to report it.

rtgthree
02-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Solely no, but do I believe it played a part yes. I truely do. Even David O'Brien himself admits that Griffeys agent ended any contact with Wren as soon as the article hit.

That proves correlation, but not causality. Just because the two events coincided does not mean that one caused the other. I would also like to ask a couple other things:

1) Why would the article have anything to do with Griffey's decision?

2) Why did it not bother him that the Seattle Times' Geoff Baker ALSO reported the story Wednesday morning, citing different sources than the AJC?

But i just cant phathom how a writer who has his job because of a team would continue to do something that could POSSIBLY hurt that organization.

Whoa now. This is extremely dangerous logic. So what you're saying is that O'Brien shouldn't break stories that could possibly hurt the organization? What if he finds out that some prominent Braves player used steroids? Should he not report it because that could hurt the organization? O'Brien does NOT work for the Braves, and his job is NOT to spew Braves' propaganda. His job is to report the news, and that's what he did.

Also, I'm curious what you mean when you say he "continues" to do this. When has he done it before?

As far as being late not that much Ken Rosenthals has often broke some stories first and if he doesnt they are very shortly after. At least I'll know its for real when he says it and I wont have to listen to anyone spout off trash like dude its going to happen trust me.

That's fine. You make that decision, and I'll respect it. Just so you know, K-Ros has been wrong before as well. It's not that I don't respect your decision, it's that I just don't get how you can totally cut off one of the biggest sources for Braves' news over one mistake.

EDIT: Also RTG your changing your arguement from before, now your saying there is nothing to prove that both O'brien and the Yahoo article cant both be right.

If I can't change my mind, then discussion would be pretty worthless to me, wouldn't it? The Yahoo report is not "false," and if I said so, I misspoke. It is merely ambiguous.

rtgthree
02-20-2009, 03:34 PM

If anything, I am angry with Hudson for this. The Braves have a whole PR department to deal with the media; PR director Brad Hainje isn't incompetent. Hudson needs to focus on baseball, not hounding the Atlanta press.

Posting new articles and blogs just because a "friend" saids something is just wrong.

Articles and blogs are two different things. On a blog, he can say what he wants...it's his opinion. In an article, it's perfectly acceptable in journalism to use anonymous sources or "people close to the situation." Do it all the time...occasionally it's going to backfire. That's not wrong.

Its bad enough its hard to get players in here now players aren't going to come here because they might think these people might write false info on them or spread rumors.

You do know that the Seattle Times reported Griffey had chosen the Braves at the same time as the AJC was saying it? You don't see anyone complaining about that.

plastikman
02-22-2009, 09:06 PM
I truly enjoyed reading this thread from beginning to end . . . . . . with that said, Jr belongs in Seattle, it is where he should end his HOF career, it is where it started. I know a lot of you have had your feelings hurt and believe that Griffey used your team as a stepping stone, but it happens every day, not only in sports. I wish you guys the best, hope you guys have an excellent season and Garrett Anderson will be great in the ATL . . . . thank god he isn't in the the AL West anymore !

rythym
02-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Dave O'Brien and Scott Boras; the same person?

NickSC07
02-22-2009, 09:35 PM
I truly enjoyed reading this thread from beginning to end . . . . . . with that said, Jr belongs in Seattle, it is where he should end his HOF career, it is where it started. I know a lot of you have had your feelings hurt and believe that Griffey used your team as a stepping stone, but it happens every day, not only in sports. I wish you guys the best, hope you guys have an excellent season and Garrett Anderson will be great in the ATL . . . . thank god he isn't in the the AL West anymore !

I agree. Dont get me wrong, it would have been nice to have him but throughout the entire process I felt like he belonged in Seattle. He will give Mariner fans something to look forward to this year and he will put butts in seats. I think it worked out with GA in ATL so im glad things worked out all the way around. Its good to see a classy post like yours among some of the others we had in here during the whole debacle. Good luck to your team this year, I hope you guys give the Angels a run for their money.

plastikman
02-23-2009, 01:25 AM
I agree. Dont get me wrong, it would have been nice to have him but throughout the entire process I felt like he belonged in Seattle. He will give Mariner fans something to look forward to this year and he will put butts in seats. I think it worked out with GA in ATL so im glad things worked out all the way around. Its good to see a classy post like yours among some of the others we had in here during the whole debacle. Good luck to your team this year, I hope you guys give the Angels a run for their money.

Seattle fans were on the same roller coaster as you guys were and emotions were riding high, I think that goes for both sides. Sometimes people wear their hearts on their sleeves and that can get ugly. With that said, most Seattle fans are truly good people, sometimes you get an idiot, but I am sure you know how that goes. Maybe we can both make it back to the playoffs and who knows what can happen then . . . . . . :)