PDA

View Full Version : Earl "The Goat" Manigault

rawz
02-17-2009, 05:48 AM
I watched rebound. Good movie. Based on Earl "The Goat" Manigault. What do you guys think of this guy? Think he could have been better then jordan?

Is the legend true?

rawz
02-17-2009, 05:50 AM
When Abdul-Jabbar finished his career with the Los Angeles Lakers and had his number retired at the Los Angeles Forum, he was asked who was the greatest player he had played with or against. After a long silence, he answered, "It would have to be Earl "The Goat" Manigault,".

Trouble87
02-17-2009, 07:53 AM
I've never seen the movie but I looked up the preview when i saw this topic...

Looked like a good movie but what i know of Earl "The Goat" Manigault is nothing over the top spectacular... Great dunker and supposedly he could "double dunk" which just doesn't seem real but so many legends from his era say it's true I kind of believe it. I bought a low budget documentary a few years ago (2005) on NY StreetBall Legends... When Earl's name was brought up everyone speaking said he couldve been the best if he wasn't so undisciplined. He developed drug probs in his adult life, got locked up, then came out, and did charity work for kids in/around his neighborhood.

Jordan had an amazing amount of work ethic, discipline, and talent... those 3 things made him what he was. Earl had the talent and at times the work ethic. But because of his background and personal "demons" later in life he could never have been better than what he was at his peak (a little before college).

Just goes to show you... you can have all the talent in the world but if you don't work hard you get nowhere

rawz
02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
They say he practiced from the time he woke up until he went to sleep, from the time he could walk, until he got into the trouble. The movie hyped me up, but, it is just a movie. I dont know. Kareem said he was the greatest he ever played against. He could jump and make change ontop of the backboard, and was only 6'1. He stuffed Wilt chamberlain in a harlem game once.

Just thought it be a good topic to see what people thought.....

Trouble87
02-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Kareem remembered him at his peak... sadly he (Earl) couldn't stay at that peak for a consistent amount of time

No joke about his talent but he didn't put enough into it after he went to college and couldn't get playing time because of grades... He gave up on himself at the wrong time

the work ethic thing has more to do with his dedication to do what he has to just to play the game he loves... he couldve got his grades up and went to the nba with a little more effort (off the court). after that one year at college there was no word of him playing in any serious games... but with all that said he was a legend in NY

much respect to Earl Manigault

EX-TREME
02-17-2009, 09:40 AM
i saw this movie about a year ago. it was very good. he could been something special if it wasn't for the drugs.

R.I.P Earl manigault

nyybronxborn
02-17-2009, 10:04 AM
if it wasnt for the drugs then he could of been ,then agian maybe hank gathers could have been also , lenny bias also , there were many players that messed up or had heart problums its to bad for all of them and us as fans that we never got to see these great players in the nba
one more shoot out is to a player we got to see but never recieved the chance to prove he was as good or maybe better then mj is reggie lewis ( still the only guy in mj era that i think could of been as great )

BWBuffet
02-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Anyone in the know will tell you Earl was special. Unfortunately life's circumstances dictated that he'd, forever, be the cautionary tale.

My favorite NYC playground legend has and always will be "The Bank of Harlem"; Pee Wee Kirkland. The man broke any and every scoring record; he came across. Not too mention he turned down a roster spot form the Bulls, in 1971; and never minded a telegram, from Red Holzman, urging Pee Wee to tryout for the Knicks. Why? Because he was making too much money in the streets. He was once dubbed the fastest man in College Basketball. He is credited with inventing the crossover dribble; and the spin move to the basket. Long story short; Pee Wee is that dude.

Squigga420
02-17-2009, 11:21 AM
pretty good movie if it was made today with more time put into it probally would have been better

methodman
02-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Rebound is hands down THE BEST basketball movie of all time, been trying to get my hands on it forever now, anyone know where to find it?

ameer9521
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I watched rebound. Good movie. Based on Earl "The Goat" Manigault. What do you guys think of this guy? Think he could have been better then jordan?

Is the legend true?

yep, not only him but there were a slew of ol' school street basketball players that were monsters on the court but got caught up in street life. i'm from jersey & my dad & step father knows all those guys. but i think pee wee kirkland was the best coming from my knowledge he was drafted by my team the bulls but turned it down b/c he was making more money in the streets. i'm only 30 but my dad & brothers were allstars at h.s./college football/basketball ect., i wasn't blessed with their skillsets but from what i grew up hearing they were all the truth! my dad sings his praises all the time, the same way i sing jordans & all the other greats praises vs. today's nba.

MTone8788
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm surprised I never heard of this movie because Don Cheadle is one of my favorites.. I will have to watch it.

Mustve
02-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Earl is the greatest player to ever touch the ball....He's a legend where I lived in NYC...He wasn't the best player in the NBA, but not every good player makes it to the NBA.....

He was able to grab money off the top of a backboard.....His dribbling skills and speed were unmatched in those days....I've heard many of stories from the old timers when I was NYC.

What do you think GOAT means???? G.reatest O.f A.ll T.ime

Trouble87
02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Rebound is hands down THE BEST basketball movie of all time, been trying to get my hands on it forever now, anyone know where to find it?

im pretty sure you can find a copy on amazon or barnes & noble

jojoe
02-19-2009, 03:35 AM
Anyone in the know will tell you Earl was special. Unfortunately life's circumstances dictated that he'd, forever, be the cautionary tale.

My favorite NYC playground legend has and always will be "The Bank of Harlem"; Pee Wee Kirkland. The man broke any and every scoring record; he came across. Not too mention he turned down a roster spot form the Bulls, in 1971; and never minded a telegram, from Red Holzman, urging Pee Wee to tryout for the Knicks. Why? Because he was making too much money in the streets. He was once dubbed the fastest man in College Basketball. He is credited with inventing the crossover dribble; and the spin move to the basket. Long story short; Pee Wee is that dude.

never had heard of pee wee kirkland. sound like a tuff $%^%$!!!

SUNSFAN4EVER
02-19-2009, 04:17 AM
Watched the movie not too long ago... Too bad for guys with all the talent in the world who lack a sense of direction. Good for Earl that he paid it all back to the community!

RIP Earl "The Goat" Manigault

rocky4104
02-19-2009, 04:44 AM
saw the movie too but sadly all we can do is talk abt how he would have fared in the NBA

he's still alive right?

ARMIN12NBA
02-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Another player that, to me, would have been an all-time great was Len Bias. Sadly, his life was taken because of drugs.

rocky4104
02-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Another player that, to me, would have been an all-time great was Len Bias. Sadly, his life was taken because of drugs.

this is abt earl the goat ok?... create a new post for your fave player

just kidding bro!! who's he?

DitchDat
02-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Manigault was great, but he was also a troubled individual. I always wonder what would have become of him if he had made it to the NBA.