PDA

View Full Version : Back in pros after 18 years?

TheBlackHole
02-16-2009, 11:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Oil-Can-Boyd-wants-another-chance-at-the-bigs-at?urn=mlb,141780

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:17 pm EST

Oil Can Boyd wants another chance at the bigs at age 49
By 'Duk
Big league dreams hold an almost unrivaled power in sport and if the comeback bid of a 49-year-old who already has 10 pro seasons under his belt can't convince you of that, well, I'm not sure what would.

According to the Boston Globe, Dennis 'Oil Can' Boyd (left) believes he is still throwing at such a high level that he would like a short tryout with a major league team so that he can have the chance to emulate his idol, Satchel Paige, who famously pitched into his 50s and beyond.

From the Globe:

"Satchel being my idol and knowing he didn't come into the game until he was in his early 40s, that's always been in the back of my mind," said Boyd. "Now, I've been given back the fastball I once had. I want to play.

"I spoke to some people about it. If I was given an opportunity, I'd love to work my way back. I think it would be good for the game. It shows me baseball is a forgiving game."

Boyd retired in 1991 with a 78-77 career record, but recently threw at a Red Sox fantasy camp and said his velocity was in the 90s. He said he felt comfortable throwing his changeup and curve and that his shoulder felt stronger than ever.

Still, it's hard to believe that Boyd's chatter is anything more than words spoken to a reporter willing to listen and transcribe. Though Boyd has been actively playing the past few years with his barnstorming team and an independent minor league team in 2005, he hasn't pitched in 18 years. To put this in perspective, here's a short list of other pitchers who retired in 1991: Ed Whitson, Rick Reuschel, Pascual Perez and Andy Hawkins.

But I suppose the great thing about baseball is that you're still allowed to have hope, even when the cruel realities of the game are evident. So here's to Oil Can, a man who's right when he says: "I have nothing to lose, and all a major league team has to lose is 15 minutes. Give me 15 minutes and I'll show I can still pitch."

I found this kind of funny, but if hes still pitching into the 90's, I say give him a shot.

The Schmooze
02-16-2009, 11:12 PM
:laugh:

I actually played against him a couple years ago in the CanAm league.

he's the epitome of a junkballer. Didnt throw one fastball...and he had like 3 diff sliders LOL.

Hey good for him though. Like alot of players, its tough to give up the game you love so much

Webslinger
02-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Hey why not. Bring the old geezer back for one more shot.

sacgiants1213
02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
why the hell not... teams got nothing to lose and he may be better than some of the players that try out anyway.

now the giants jokes begin.

cambovenzi
02-16-2009, 11:21 PM
good story.
hes a junkballer who says he throws in the 90's.
he could maybe try out and fill a reliever spot or something.
would be a great story.

Tom Servo
02-16-2009, 11:44 PM
I think I've seen this movie before.

Charlie
02-17-2009, 12:15 AM
theres really no chance for him haha. best of luck though

josquad
02-17-2009, 12:48 AM
maybe you can sign him and julio franco in a package deal, throw in jesse orosco and the team could get cheap senior citizen airfare or something

cambovenzi
02-17-2009, 12:52 AM
I think I've seen this movie before.
now that you mention it, it does sound familiar.

meh. your probably right.
but there is space for old junkballer/offspeed pitchers like him on some teams.
take a look at jamie moyer for example.

obviously he would be an extreme outlier, but i wouldnt say no shot at all.
you dont necessarily need the same strength or anything to be a successful offspeed pitcher. and besides, he said he was throwing mid 90's.

i do think there is very little chance he does actually play tho.

King Henrik
02-17-2009, 12:53 AM
these are the kinda stories baseball should be pushing. reminds me of that movie with uh... yeah dont remember his name wasnt that good lol

cambovenzi
02-17-2009, 12:55 AM
these are the kinda stories baseball should be pushing. reminds me of that movie with uh... yeah dont remember his name wasnt that good lol

yeah that devil ray guy, in the movie.:cool:

josquad
02-17-2009, 01:08 AM
The rookie!!

GottaLoveCubs
02-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Actually this reminds me a little more of Mr. 3000. Retires and comes back way past his prime.

whitesoxfan83
02-17-2009, 03:48 AM
i would approve of the white sox signing this guy

DewsSox79
02-17-2009, 03:59 AM

he could probably do better than some BP arms in the league now

MooseWithFleas
02-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm sure the Nats could use an arm

leiasgoldbikini
02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
90s on the fantasy camp guns is probably more like 83 in the real world.

Bo Sox Fan
02-17-2009, 01:36 PM
well if you think about it he's only 2 years older than jamie moyer of the phillies!

yankeemule4life
02-17-2009, 01:40 PM
The Red Sox should sign him back...they seem to be interested in rebuilding has-been type pitchers this year!

bloodhawk
02-17-2009, 01:49 PM
this sounds like a decent PR move...but he should only go to those teams that have either no chance or can take their division by storm...