PDA

View Full Version : Sundin Back in the ACC - Will the Boo Birds be out?

LEAFLAND
02-16-2009, 10:06 PM
The return of Mats Sundin to the ACC this Saturday will present Leaf fans with a challenge - clap or boo. What do you think his reception will be?

BluejaysFan08
02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Are you serious?
Yes we were all upset at him for not waiving but does not warrent a Boo everytime he touches the puck.
He is still one of the greatest leafs of all time and one of the classiest players in the league.

Johann
02-16-2009, 11:19 PM
yea and he never scored on his own net on purpose, did he?:D

conway429
02-16-2009, 11:50 PM
It'd be really pathetic if we boo'ed him.

LEAFLAND
02-17-2009, 12:10 AM
I myself would cheer for the former captain. I was fortunate enough to be in the building to see Mats score his 500th goal. What a magical night! I recognize the many achievements that Sundin has done in the Blue and White. However, I believe that a portion of Leaf Nation that night will not be friendly. There are still some sour feelings from some of the Toronto faithful about how the relationship ended. I think it is safe to say that we will not see a Number 13 hanging from the rafters anytime soon.

con_artist
02-17-2009, 12:20 AM
I will be so pissed if people start booing him. He served as our captain for so long and all the fans are just gonna forget about that because he exercised a right he had when JFJ gave him his contract? That seems ludicrous to me.

AK-50
02-17-2009, 01:05 AM
i have nothing but respect for Sundin i never wanted him to leave last year like how some people did i was glad when he said he wouldnt waive his NTC

Lavy16
02-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Bobby Ryan sure would look good in a Leaf uniform right now...Boooooooooooooooooooo!!! Just kidding

GeraldRFord
02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
He's a bullshitter, and overrated. I wish I could go to this game to be that schmuck. Always hated him, and now I hate him more.

jrice9
02-17-2009, 08:31 AM
I am very unsure why you say these things considering he is possibly the greatest leaf ever

GoLeafsGo11
02-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Greatest leaf ever? your not great until you win a cup. Sure he had some great achievments, but, just imagine where we would be this year if he would have waved his clause... maybe not competing for the cup, but much better looking than this years leaf.
The way I look at it, he screwed us over, Sure he deserved his no trade clause, but we didnt deserve the kick in the ***. thanks matts...

GeraldRFord
02-17-2009, 11:18 AM
I am very unsure why you say these things considering he is possibly the greatest leaf ever

CuJo was a better Leaf than Sundin. Sundin was never even the best player on his own team. Dougie was the best player in the world at the time.

yahmez88
02-17-2009, 11:45 AM
hope he gets nothing but cheers

McJoe
02-17-2009, 12:59 PM
I dont think he will get booed and I dont want him to get booed. I hope he gets a standing ovation cause the guy deserves it. 10 years as the captain of our franchise and he gets booed that would be a tragedy.

GeraldRFord
02-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Sundin deserves credit for being the least inflamed hemeroid on the 82 year old *** of the Maple Leafs organization? ********! Sundin looked good because the Leafs sucked. He was an overrated floater slob whore. I've wanted him gone since I was in Kindergarten. If you go to a game, you're paying $50-$400 for a ticket, and he made over $50 million in Toronto. I'll boo if I want... **** him. **** HIM!

ramz.n
02-17-2009, 02:27 PM
fans who are truly loyal..would wear a sundin jersey and cheer :clap:

GeraldRFord
02-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Players who are truly loyal would wear a Leaf jersey and try to win a Cup with HIS team instead of taking a pay day on another non-playoff team. Eat ****, ramz.

NUCK-U
02-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Some different opinions here about your former captain. No, he wasn't the greatest Leaf of all time, Some might argue that Sittler might win that honour. Sundin is and always has been a great player, but unfortunately, the Leafs haven't had much to build around him over the years. One player does not win a Stanley Cup, obviously. I truly hope that the Leafs Nation shows him, and the rest of the players who played with Sundin, some respect. He did what he could with what he had. If anything, blame the GMs that held the reins for all those years. Their the ones who hire the coaches and who go out and make trades etc. How many will be booing when they retire #13?

con_artist
02-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Players who are truly loyal would wear a Leaf jersey and try to win a Cup with HIS team instead of taking a pay day on another non-playoff team. Eat ****, ramz.

that's exactly what he did. He could have gone to Detroit or Montreal but he didn't, he hung with us even though he sucked, so how can you criticize him for leaving after the season's over? I really don't understand how people can hate him this much.

3lite-Raps
02-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Boo

Tito Santana
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
I hope they boo him the entire night, from the moment he steps on the ice for warmups until the final whistle blows. The guy didn't take us anywhere, regardless of who he had to "play with" and in the end made a hypocritical move by becoming a rental player this year when last year he said he wouldn't do that. BOOOOOOOOOOO

McJoe
02-17-2009, 06:35 PM
come on guys.

-The guy was the captain of the team from the 96-97 season until the 07-08 seasons spanning almost 11 years.
-He led us to 2 Eastern Conference finals
-Led the team in points for 8 consecutive seasons from 95-96 to 01-02 and then again from 03-04 to 07-08 with only Mogilny's 79 point 02-03 season in between.
-He is the Leafs all time leader in goals, points, PP goals, SH goals, game winning goals, and overtime goals

He did more for this franchise than anyone has since Dave Keon in the 60s. He deserves to be cheered not booed.

NUCK-U
02-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Sundin stuck by the Leafs and stayed with the team till the bitter end, because he is loyal and he was the captain. The season ended and Leaf management had no interest in keeping him around. He took his time in the off-season to decide if he still had enough left in the tank to continue playing, and that took him 6 months to decide - but decide he did. Several teams were interested (not the Leafs) and one of those teams offered him a ton of cash and he took a chance. Who out there wouldn't have done the same thing? The guy can still light it up and can still dominate. Good for him for deciding to continue playing.

jrice9
02-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Sundin deserves credit for being the least inflamed hemeroid on the 82 year old *** of the Maple Leafs organization? ********! Sundin looked good because the Leafs sucked. He was an overrated floater slob whore. I've wanted him gone since I was in Kindergarten. If you go to a game, you're paying $50-$400 for a ticket, and he made over $50 million in Toronto. I'll boo if I want... **** him. **** HIM!
They made the conference finals three times and he was the best player on that team. Cujo was so meh some of those years. He was a point per game player with horrible linemates and yeah you can boo him but imo its disrespectful to such a classy leaf who is up there as the greatest leaf ever. (Number 4 on my list but he's close)

H-MYK
02-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't see why anyone would boo him.

GeraldRFord
02-17-2009, 11:21 PM
They made the conference finals three times and he was the best player on that team. Cujo was so meh some of those years. He was a point per game player with horrible linemates and yeah you can boo him but imo its disrespectful to such a classy leaf who is up there as the greatest leaf ever. (Number 4 on my list but he's close)

SHUT THE **** UP!

CuJo was in another league compared to Sundin. CuJo was the best goalie in the world when he was in Toronto, and Sundin was a pretty good second liner. He had a broken wrist for one of those ECF trips (came back, and then we lost). Horrible linemates? Berezin was a very solid goal scorer then, and Steve Thomas was also very good. Mogilny for the year they played together was better than Sundin. Just shut up.

What did he do to be classy? Nothing. He "didn't want to be a rental player" when it could have helped the team, and then left for Vancouver half way through the season. He's a bullshitter. COMPLETE. BULLSHITTER... I wouldn't mind so much had last February he said "I really don't feel like leaving at this point. I'm tired, and I don't want to go through a long Cup run". Instead, he ******** us all, and made it obvious.

You're damn right it's disrespectful. I have NO respect for him. He's just another Eurowhore. We'd have won a Cup if Clark was never traded.

I'll boo Sundin when number 13 goes out... frankly... 31 and 15... those are the number ceremonies I look forward to.

torrance
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
I don't see why anyone would boo him.

Because they have no logic.

A player who negotiates a no-trade clause in their contract often agrees to take less money over the term of their contract for this privilege.

For those saying he should think of the team first, why should the player even bother with the no-trade clause in the first place?

As for Sundin not winning anything, the Leafs haven't won a Cup since 1967, so I guess that means Sittler, McDonald, Salming, Clark, Gilmour, etc., aren't worth crap either. What a stupid argument.

As a true Leaf fan, I will cheer for Sundin and the Canucks to beat the Leafs so we can finish lower in the standings. This way, he'll be helping the cause.

con_artist
02-17-2009, 11:51 PM
SHUT THE **** UP!

CuJo was in another league compared to Sundin. CuJo was the best goalie in the world when he was in Toronto, and Sundin was a pretty good second liner. He had a broken wrist for one of those ECF trips (came back, and then we lost). Horrible linemates? Berezin was a very solid goal scorer then, and Steve Thomas was also very good. Mogilny for the year they played together was better than Sundin. Just shut up.

What did he do to be classy? Nothing. He "didn't want to be a rental player" when it could have helped the team, and then left for Vancouver half way through the season. He's a bullshitter. COMPLETE. BULLSHITTER... I wouldn't mind so much had last February he said "I really don't feel like leaving at this point. I'm tired, and I don't want to go through a long Cup run". Instead, he ******** us all, and made it obvious.

You're damn right it's disrespectful. I have NO respect for him. He's just another Eurowhore. We'd have won a Cup if Clark was never traded.

I'll boo Sundin when number 13 goes out... frankly... 31 and 15... those are the number ceremonies I look forward to.

dude, chill out, why do you hate the guy so much?

jrice9
02-17-2009, 11:52 PM
SHUT THE **** UP!

K no need to get so pissed at me but this is why I feel your wrong:

1. I cujo's 4 year's as a leaf he averaged about a 2.40 goal against average and a .910 save percentage. These stats are quite good and puts him in about the 6-10 range in goalies very good but not spectacular. Meanwhile Sundin is the all time leaf leader in points and goals and was the captain for the leafs for about 10 years and was on the team for about 13 for like 11 of which he lead the team in points. He was always about the 10th best forward in the NHL over his time as a leaf.

2. Regarding the ECF those leaf teams were regarded as pretty average and sundin and joseph really caried them (sundin though lead them to 3 as captain joseph only to 2). Sundin got injured in one of those series but still was a very nice factor for the leafs.

3. Regarding the linemates the three you listed Berazin- the most points he got was 59 and he only topped 50 and he never topped 50 when he didnt play with sundin. Steve Thomas played with the leafs for three years two of which he was good and again he played with the sundin also and had his best years with him. Mogilny played with sundin for 2 years I think and had some pretty decent years. Anyway so this is a total of 6 good years (4 of which were in the same two year span) so really 4 years of 13 that sundin had solid linemates. He still lead the team in points 11 of 13 years and topped 80 all the time how is thatsecond line style.

4. And yes Sundin ****ed up in the Vancover situation but you know what I dont care that much since he had the right to use his NTC and he had given me so much joy watching him. You hate Sundin yet you worship Joseph and Molgilny who ditched town when the going got tough something Sundind didnt do for 13 years.

5. Clark was finished and if you really thought we would have won a cup with him over sundin you are nuts.

6. Eurowhore is pretty offensive and makes you sound like a dumber version of Don Cherry

ramz.n
02-18-2009, 12:09 AM

your an idiot...he didn't want to leave the leafs...he took a paycut at the begining of last season just to be in a leafs uniform...he decided to chose another team because Fletcher and Burke had no intention of resigning him..how would you feel if your services were not wanted anymore by your former team?..would you sign with them or move on?..and maybe he chose the Canucks because they are in the Western Conference, did you ever think it would probably kill him if he had to win against the leafs or to win a game just to knock the leafs out?

LeafsFan16
02-18-2009, 01:13 AM
I am a die hard Leafs fan and loved Sundin while he played for us but totally lost respect for the guy with the way he handled his departure. After becoming upset with Cliff Fletcher, "an interim GM" for asking him to waive his no trade clause,he screwed us over pretty good, IMO. I'm not sure if anyone remembered him saying he didn't want to get traded last year to be a "rental player", b/c he would rather start with a team from training camp and build towards a championship title? I don't question that he had quite a career for the Leafs, but he took everything at the deadline personal and bent over all the fans that had paid good money to support his salary, knowing true well that in the shape the Leafs were in, he could've helped out this squad before he left to win a title for himself. After unable to win a cup with the Leafs, he could give two s*%ts if the Leafs ever make the playoffs again. I certainly don't see a problem booing him when he returns.

Tito Santana
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I-L-L-
02-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I am torn on this

I think that I hope he gets cheered because he put his heart into the team for a decade..... but, it was embarrassing the way he left. He was disingenuous in his statements and hindered the rebuilding effort. I don't buy the argument that he owed the team nothing. He was paid handsomely while he was here. I don't like the fact that he refused to waive his no trade, but then shopped his services to the highest bidder. Also, he joined the Canucks midseason, thus rendering as bs his statements regarding wanting a full training camp.

I would not boo him, but I can certainly understand why some other will.

NUCK-U
02-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Feeling a little dissed Leaf fans? Hockey's a business, there is no loyalty (unless you're Steve Yzerman or Mike Modano, etc). What's important is the two points at the end of the night. Cheer on your team and try to appreciate that Mats gave his all for those 13 years in a Leafs jersey. All your "booing" will do is sound like cheering for our goalie "Luuuuuuuu!!!!" Good luck on Saturday.

LeafsFan16
02-18-2009, 08:57 PM
haha

H-MYK
02-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Sundin stuck by the Leafs and stayed with the team till the bitter end, because he is loyal and he was the captain. The season ended and Leaf management had no interest in keeping him around. He took his time in the off-season to decide if he still had enough left in the tank to continue playing, and that took him 6 months to decide - but decide he did. Several teams were interested (not the Leafs) and one of those teams offered him a ton of cash and he took a chance. Who out there wouldn't have done the same thing? The guy can still light it up and can still dominate. Good for him for deciding to continue playing.

It was pretty much expected that he wasn't going to be with the Leafs. I agree.

B2theRY
02-18-2009, 09:59 PM
you are all complete morons if you booo sundin.that is why i dont tell anyone i cheer for the leafs because i dont want to be considered a moronic leafs fan.

Bombaclot
02-18-2009, 11:37 PM
Because they have no logic.

A player who negotiates a no-trade clause in their contract often agrees to take less money over the term of their contract for this privilege.

For those saying he should think of the team first, why should the player even bother with the no-trade clause in the first place?

As for Sundin not winning anything, the Leafs haven't won a Cup since 1967, so I guess that means Sittler, McDonald, Salming, Clark, Gilmour, etc., aren't worth crap either. What a stupid argument.

As a true Leaf fan, I will cheer for Sundin and the Canucks to beat the Leafs so we can finish lower in the standings. This way, he'll be helping the cause.

Good post.

Bombaclot
02-18-2009, 11:38 PM
SHUT THE **** UP!

Fans should give Sundin standing O
February 18, 2009
DAMIEN COX

No one's suggesting Mats Sundin deserves the Rocket Richard treatment.

You remember that one, right? The incomparable Rocket stood at centre ice for nearly 16 minutes when the old Montreal Forum was closed back in 1996 as a standing ovation rained down upon him and ultimately reduced him to tears. He was an icon, both for Les Habitants and the province of Quebec. There isn't a hockey-loving person alive who would place Sundin in a similar category.

But if Maple Leaf fans can imagine any time in the near future that their team will regain a sense of respect around the NHL and become an organization that celebrates excellence over mediocrity, they might want to reconsider their too-frequent reflex to boo. They boo Sidney Crosby like they once booed Bobby Orr, apparently because talent offends them.

They showered derision upon Larry Murphy, who promptly moved to Detroit and won a couple of Cups with the Red Wings. They boo Daniel Alfredsson for an alleged crime of disrespect committed, interestingly, against Sundin, mimicking the Leaf captain's petulant toss of his stick into the audience five years ago.

For Sundin on Saturday, however, the only reasonable response should be two-fold. The man deserves a good, hearty round of applause, with a good number of those in attendance on their feet. He may not have contributed more to the Leaf organization than Doug Gilmour or Wendel Clark, but he surely didn't contribute less and deserves similar treatment. Once the ovation is over, the Leafs should then try to knock his block off. Nothing illegal or cheap, but good, hard hockey that would leave Sundin leaving the ACC thinking it was no fun at all.

That's how to produce a strong impression that the club has turned the page on the Sundin years and is marching towards a better future with pride rather than wasting time trashing former heroes.

What the Leafs and the city will see on Saturday is a slightly different version of Sundin than they were used to for so many years, or at least a Sundin used in a slightly different way.

Right now, he isn't quite featured in the same way he was with the Leafs when he was on the ice for every important situation, every meaningful power play and the final minute of every period of every important game.

With the Canucks, it's the Sedin brothers, Daniel and Henrik, along with their current linemate, Alex Burrows, who are used as the top forward unit most of the time. Sundin, who mostly skates now on a line with Ryan Kesler and Pavol Demitra, is not the dominant force he was even last year with the Leafs, nor is he used in that way as Henrik Sedin occupies the No.1 centre role.

Against the Flames in a 4-3 shootout win last night, Sundin was barely a rumour all night, although Kesler scored twice and Sundin was robbed in the third period by Calgary goalie Miikka Kiprusoff on a close-in chance that would have tied the game.

When he returns, Sundin will thus look familiar to Toronto fans, but not the marquee force he was for them all those years. Not yet, anyway.

Leaf fans, really, should care about only two Sundin related issues. First, that the classy Swede grew sick of the screwed-up manner in which the Toronto operation was being run. Are things different under Brian Burke? We're still learning the answer to that question.

Second, as with any number of good players in recent years, Sundin left town without fetching any assets in return. This is an organization that has consistently been unable to understand that the best time to move athletes is at the peak of their value, not when they've outlived their usefulness.

None of this was Sundin's fault. Those who accuse him of lying to the Leafs about his true intentions are fools. Those who would jeer him upon his return belong to the same category.

Tito Santana
02-18-2009, 11:39 PM
you are all complete morons if you booo sundin.that is why i dont tell anyone i cheer for the leafs because i dont want to be considered a moronic leafs fan.

I'm sure you stick out like a sore thumb as a moron anyways.

jrice9
02-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Nice.... way to go witha constructive post.

I still dont understand how sundin did what he was allowed to do under the CBA deserves a booo when he contributed 13 years and is the leafs all time best scorer and captain for 11 years. C'mon

bidi_nash
02-18-2009, 11:49 PM
if i was gonna be there i would cheer. He has been one of the greatest leafs ever, chill guys he deserves a cheer

LeafsFan16
02-19-2009, 02:12 AM
Wow, it seems as though everyone on here loves Sundin more then the Leafs.

nik.jd.aitken
02-19-2009, 02:58 AM
Cheer for the man, and then cheer for Schenn when he takes Sundin's head off.

jrice9
02-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Wow, it seems as though everyone on here loves Sundin more then the Leafs.
No I love the leafs which is why I love sundin since he was one of the all time great leafs. Makes sense eh? We cheer guys like Sittler why not Sundin?

Tito Santana
02-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Maybe someday, 20yrs from now if Mats is ever a mainstay in Canada and comes back to games he will get cheered like Sittler. But for now he is still in the league, with another team, so he'll hear the boos when he returns.

jrice9
02-19-2009, 08:48 AM
meh maybe but I dont agree that he should considering he gave his all for the leafs every year and was fantastic. Did Sittler get booed after he got traded no! Yes sundn last move pissed us off but I think his 13 years of tenure and of being our franchise outweighs it significantly

B2theRY
02-19-2009, 11:46 AM

only when im hanging out with your mom

Fly_High
02-19-2009, 03:17 PM
sundin sundin sundin. why the hell do u ***** not like him, what did he do wrong: he honored his contract, dont know if u guys know about hockey or not but back when sundin signed his contract he took less money for the no trade clause so suck it and shut up.

u retards are gonna blame sundin for this teams misfortunes, WOW. yeah dont blame the management, blame 1 single player, real classy.

LeafsFan16
02-19-2009, 03:49 PM
sundin sundin sundin. why the hell do u ***** not like him, what did he do wrong: he honored his contract, dont know if u guys know about hockey or not but back when sundin signed his contract he took less money for the no trade clause so suck it and shut up.

u retards are gonna blame sundin for this teams misfortunes, WOW. yeah dont blame the management, blame 1 single player, real classy.

easy pal, I'm not lipping you, so you shouldn't be lipping me in return. This is a post to give your opinion and I haven't been going on a rant about anything other then thinking Sundin left holding a grudge with an interim GM, and made the team suffer b/c of this.

blujaysrock
02-19-2009, 03:51 PM
only when im hanging out with your mom

:laugh:

Fly_High
02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
easy pal, I'm not lipping you, so you shouldn't be lipping me in return. This is a post to give your opinion and I haven't been going on a rant about anything other then thinking Sundin left holding a grudge with an interim GM, and made the team suffer b/c of this.

easy pal, i dont know what ur talking about. i was talking in general, not pin pointing ne1. idk how u figured that i was talking about u, however there are a few people on the 1st page. also that was my opinion, i know that lol.

3lite-Raps
02-19-2009, 07:56 PM
hopefully