PDA

View Full Version : Is Butler A Top 25 Team?

Cullksinikers
02-16-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't believe so. WHo have they beat. They win close games in he Horizon League, I repeat, the Horizon League. They just lost to Loyola (IL) at home and are still ranked by the AP and ESPN in the new polls. Do you guys think their a top 25 team?

(Add a yes/no/maybe poll mods, I forgot)

JHG722
02-17-2009, 08:52 AM
What about Memphis? #18 Zaga, unranked Tennessee, a possible tourney team in Northeastern, a bubble team in Cincy, and a jekyll and hyde team in UMass...

Davidson? NC State and WVU when they weren't playing their best.

cardinals1226
02-17-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't believe so. WHo have they beat. They win close games in he Horizon League, I repeat, the Horizon League. They just lost to Loyola (IL) at home and are still ranked by the AP and ESPN in the new polls. Do you guys think their a top 25 team?

(Add a yes/no/maybe poll mods, I forgot)

Clearly, you are one of the idiots across the country that thinks you have to be a big name to be ranked. The team is indeed a top 25 team. Quality wins on the road at Drake, Bradley, Xavier, Cleveland State, and Wright State. Quality wins at home against Northwestern, Evansville, Ball State, and UAB. A near close game at Ohio State, who was ranked at the time. Butler is currently ranked 21 with an rpi at 21 and the second best defense in the nation. Most people forget that the team lost all five senior starters and two bench player, but are 22-3 on the season with three freshman starters and a sophomore with no seniors and five juniors on the team.

Butler has won at least 20 games in eight of the last ten seasons, making the toruney in all eight of those seasons. They've been to the Sweet Sixteen twice in the last four years and have won at least one game every time they've been in the tourney, at least two games every year with the exception of last year.

It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about and you're just another idiot fan of the NCAA. It annoys me when people flap their gums without doing alittle research first. Butler has been arguably one of the best mid-major teams in the country the last 10 years. This year is no different than the past. Every team loses a game in their conference and to believe Butler would sweep their conference every year is dumb and ignorant. The team has out-played nearly everyone they have played with the exception of Loyola.

CubbieSteve
02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Tournament team, yeah.

Top 25 team, I have my doubts.

And I'm not sure how wins against Bradley, Drake and Ball State are considered quality wins. I guess they can be if you're a Butler fan, but they are hardly quality wins imo.

And stop calling people idiots dude.

Padres Son
02-17-2009, 03:33 PM
The amount of talent at the "lower" tier div I schools has been increasing every year. That's why there are so many crazy upsets in the tourney and teams like Butler, St. Mary's, USD, Gonzaga, UAB, Memphis, St. Joe's... and on and on have to be taken seriously. There are very few "gimme" games in division I, regardless of what conference you play in.

JHG722
02-17-2009, 11:01 PM
St. Joe's? LOL

Padres Son
02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
St. Joe's? LOLWasn't necessarily talking about this year... I was going off the top of my head of recent teams from "minor" conferences that had big success. I was thinking about the team that had Jameer Nelson and Delonte West.

JHG722
02-19-2009, 01:38 PM
That was like 6 years ago.

Jimi032890
02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
hell no is butler top 25!

cardinals1226
02-19-2009, 06:15 PM
hell no is butler top 25!

That just shows ignorance. They shouldn't be ranked anymore because of their latest loss, but they have the team to be considered a ranked team. They STILL have the second best defense in the nation and a top 50 offense with 3 freshman and a sophomore starting. This latest skid should bump them from the polls, but shouldn't make them a lesser team.

Padres Son
02-19-2009, 08:57 PM
That was like 6 years ago.No, it was 5 years ago. And what is your point?

I hate when people make snide little remarks like they're so smart and don't actually participate in the conversation. Do you have a point to make?

sunswin532
02-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Butler is not that good of a team. they should not be in the top 25. same with xavier and gonzaga

JHG722
02-20-2009, 09:40 PM
No, it was 5 years ago. And what is your point?

I hate when people make snide little remarks like they're so smart and don't actually participate in the conversation. Do you have a point to make?

Yes, Saint Joe's is irrelevant.

JHG722
02-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Butler is not that good of a team. they should not be in the top 25. same with xavier and gonzaga

Why, because Charlotte beat them? Big deal.

cardinals1226
02-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Why, because Charlotte beat them? Big deal.

While in most years I'd agree, but they lost back to back games to Duke and Butler at home, they lost at Duquesne and Dayton in back to back games, and lost at Charlotte. If Butler is an unranked team, Xavier should be as well.

Jimi032890
02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
That just shows ignorance. They shouldn't be ranked anymore because of their latest loss, but they have the team to be considered a ranked team. They STILL have the second best defense in the nation and a top 50 offense with 3 freshman and a sophomore starting. This latest skid should bump them from the polls, but shouldn't make them a lesser team.

lichlighter is gone. butler is done

Jimi032890
02-24-2009, 11:31 AM

oh i just noticed youre a butler fan. face it dude.

cardinals1226
02-24-2009, 01:35 PM
lichlighter is gone. butler is done

oh i just noticed youre a butler fan. face it dude.

You're a dumbass. First of all, it's Todd Lickliter not lichlighter. :rolleyes: Second, Brad Stevens is in his second season with a career record of 53-8. There has only been three other coaches in the history of the NCAA in any sport to ever start their career with a better record.

Butler has beat two ranked team this year on the road and nearly beat Ohio State, which would have been a third. The team lost 7 players from last year and has 3 freshman as starters and are 23-4 on the season when they were projected to be fifth in the conference.

I'm no longer arguing whether they should be ranked right now or not, but that doesn't diminish them as a top team in the national. I'll say it one more time, they have the second best defense in the nation, have an rpi at 20, and are ranked as the third best Mid-Major behind Gonzaga and Xavier.

Why don't you do some research and make an intelligent response instead of being a tool.

shonk688
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM

How would you know if butler should be ranked or not your from Arizona? You probably haven't even seen them play this year, and no I'm not a Butler fan. I am a Purdue fan. I from Indiana and watch all the local teams so I think I would know more about this team than you, and I would say they are a top 25 team.

shonk688
02-24-2009, 06:24 PM
You're a dumbass. First of all, it's Todd Lickliter not lichlighter. :rolleyes: Second, Brad Stevens is in his second season with a career record of 53-8. There has only been three other coaches in the history of the NCAA in any sport to ever start their career with a better record.

Butler has beat two ranked team this year on the road and nearly beat Ohio State, which would have been a third. The team lost 7 players from last year and has 3 freshman as starters and are 23-4 on the season when they were projected to be fifth in the conference.

I'm no longer arguing whether they should be ranked right now or not, but that doesn't diminish them as a top team in the national. I'll say it one more time, they have the second best defense in the nation, have an rpi at 20, and are ranked as the third best Mid-Major behind Gonzaga and Xavier.

Why don't you do some research and make an intelligent response instead of being a tool.

I wouldn't worry about it I bet anyone that is saying they're not in the top 25 hasn't followed this team at all. :)

cardinals1226
02-24-2009, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't worry about it I bet anyone that is saying they're not in the top 25 hasn't followed this team at all. :)

True. The one's who say they aren't a very good team, shouldn't be ranked, they suck, are the ones that have never watched a Butler game and are basing their opinions on 3 conference losses. I've said all I can say, I give up. :p

trunks17321
02-24-2009, 10:37 PM

Ok? Cause you say it makes it true?

Gonzaga had a road bump losing 4 out of 6, tough games to quality teams. Utah, Arizona, and UCONN (still don't know how dyson made that three?) Yeah the loss to Portland State was inexcusable and the one to Memphis was bad, but they have beaten Tennessee twice, Oklahoma State, Maryland, and come out of recent and just dominated their conference as usual.

I feel the same way about Butler