PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson to Portland?

phlp_bj
02-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Sources say that Milwaukee and Portland have actually discussed multiple Richard Jefferson scenarios. It's just not clear how hot they are.

The Blazers are involved in numerous discussions with several teams, so it's difficult to pinpoint the deal they're chasing hardest, but the latest in circulation could furnish Portland with a new small forward and a new point guard: Jefferson and University of Oregon-ex Luke Ridnour in exchange for Travis Outlaw, Sergio Rodriguez and Raef LaFrentz's expiring contract.

Given the future cap space that the Blazers lost in the Darius Miles unretirement saga, sending LaFrentz's contract somewhere between now and Thursday's deadline is considered a virtual lock, since Portland no longer has the forthcoming flexibility to make the free-agent splashes it anticipated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=TradeTalk-090216

dolfan720
02-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Jefferson is doing so good as a buck. Why would they want to trade him?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-16-2009, 11:45 AM
I am not to sure about this. Bucks are holding onto the 8th seed as of now, and if they get rid of Jefferson they are surrendering that spot. Sure they won't go far in the playoffs, but they may only improve on that in the next couple years.

op12
02-16-2009, 12:06 PM
why not just work outlaw and webster at that spot. i like outlaw better than rich anyway. rich would take away from roys and aldridges offense.

GunFactor187
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
For the last time Blazers FO, NO TRADES!!!!!!!! You will be GOLD within the next couple years!!!!

NYMetros
02-16-2009, 12:11 PM

Tanking it. That franchise is a mess. They will be out of Milwaukee in a couple of years, most likely.

yankeesown69
02-16-2009, 12:14 PM
outlaw > rj

If i was portland idk if I would do this. Outlaw is much better defensively and i love his intensity.

hugefan
02-16-2009, 12:18 PM

Get money for resigning sessions and charlie v.

thedfactor
02-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Get money for resigning sessions and charlie v.Good point

MilfHunter07
02-16-2009, 12:22 PM
god i love the trade deadline

Brew Crew
02-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Tanking it. That franchise is a mess. They will be out of Milwaukee in a couple of years, most likely.

Tanking it? We just got a new GM, and new coach, and soon enough the fairy that is our owner Herb Kohl will soon be gone. This is technically a rebuilding team (Jon Hammond has 3 years to rebuild) and we lost Bogut, Redd, and Ridnour (3/5ths of our starting line-up) and we're still the 8th spot.

JordansBulls
02-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Why would the Blazers do this? They have a bright future. I see no purpose in this trade.

IndyRealist
02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Jefferson has a horrendous contract. If management thinks they're not going to get past the first round, or if they're bleeding money, they should probably trade him. Outlaw and Rodruigez are both cheap and good players. If/when they get traded, their numbers are going to jump dramatically.

Jefferson is actually a very efficent player. He's diffcult to guard and plays D. Put him in a system with a clear #1 option and a clear post player, and Jefferson will take a backseat like he did in New Jersey. He is comfortable, and best, as a second/third option. Ridinour was back to his old form preinjury, meaning something like 12/7 and few turnovers.

Basically the Blazers would be breaking even on Jefferson vs Outlaw/Rodruigez, Rich is better but they lose depth and take on payroll. So they're getting Ridinour for LaFrentz.

The Bucks get out of payroll, and they get two young pieces who will get tons of minutes and will probably be core players for the next several years.

MJ-BULLS
02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
maybe they will trade him if they slip more and more in the standings

GunFactor187
02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
why would the blazers do this? They have a bright future. I see no purpose in this trade.

:clap: EXACTLY!!!!

dre1990
02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
not a good trade for either teams

favre_4life
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I like Jefferson, but at the same time I think if the Bucks could pull of this deal, it would turn out to be a good trade. I think Outlaw could come in and score 20+.

what54!?
02-16-2009, 01:18 PM
well the bucks are pretty much tanking in their season

Tblaze
02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
outlaw > rj

If i was portland idk if I would do this. Outlaw is much better defensively and i love his intensity.

erm wrong, Outlaw is pretty bad on defence but has been pretty much unstoppable on the offensive end.

This trade would get portland more wing defence it's lacking. Other then the pg spot that's our biggest weakness right now.

Rockets Fanatic
02-16-2009, 01:33 PM
I kinda like it

Rockets Fanatic
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
But if I am the Blazers you can do better than R-Jeff. They have the Pieces to Get VC

Tblaze
02-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I'd rather go for gerald wallace. But he doesn't seem to be on the block anymore

YankeeFan89
02-16-2009, 03:26 PM
But if I am the Blazers you can do better than R-Jeff. They have the Pieces to Get VC

true

Ansy
02-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I'd go for it. It doesn't cost Portland much and it probably makes us better.

valade16
02-17-2009, 02:27 AM
People look at the Blazers and say they are killer and are gonna be great but they either don't watch them play or listen to what management and the coach say...

Coach McMillan needs a veteran presence, because he feels that there isn't team-checking going on. When somebody misses an assignment there's no one really there to say "you messed up, get your head in the game!", because they are all young and developing so it's like, who is he to tell me? A veteran presence (such as Jefferson) could get on the young guys and hold them accountable...

Also, to everyone who says Outlaw is a good defender has never seen him play. He doesn't try on defense. He isn't a good Defender, the Blazers biggest weakness is our wing defense. Jefferson plays way better D. Also, Outlaw is a bit of a ball hog during games, he throws up a lot of shots to get his points...

Not to mention Ridnour is a good PG who can shoot, effectively spacing the floor for when Jefferson or Roy drives. Our biggest problem right now is our offense is heavily reliant on Roy, when teams take him out we have big trouble getting to the rim. Jefferson would be another slasher who could take pressure off Roy.

I think this is a great trade because Bayless has outplayed Sergio in the short span he's been here (and I really wanted Sergio to be great!), and Outlaw isn't a core member of the teams success (i.e. we'd still have Oden, Aldridge, Roy, Fernandez, Webster, Bayless). That isn't very much to get back a player of Jefferson's caliber and Ridnour...

But that's just me :)

BTownTeamsRKing
02-17-2009, 10:17 AM
poor raef. he lost his name to raef larentz expiring contract

Tblaze
02-17-2009, 10:46 AM
People look at the Blazers and say they are killer and are gonna be great but they either don't watch them play or listen to what management and the coach say...

Coach McMillan needs a veteran presence, because he feels that there isn't team-checking going on. When somebody misses an assignment there's no one really there to say "you messed up, get your head in the game!", because they are all young and developing so it's like, who is he to tell me? A veteran presence (such as Jefferson) could get on the young guys and hold them accountable...

Also, to everyone who says Outlaw is a good defender has never seen him play. He doesn't try on defense. He isn't a good Defender, the Blazers biggest weakness is our wing defense. Jefferson plays way better D. Also, Outlaw is a bit of a ball hog during games, he throws up a lot of shots to get his points...

Not to mention Ridnour is a good PG who can shoot, effectively spacing the floor for when Jefferson or Roy drives. Our biggest problem right now is our offense is heavily reliant on Roy, when teams take him out we have big trouble getting to the rim. Jefferson would be another slasher who could take pressure off Roy.

I think this is a great trade because Bayless has outplayed Sergio in the short span he's been here (and I really wanted Sergio to be great!), and Outlaw isn't a core member of the teams success (i.e. we'd still have Oden, Aldridge, Roy, Fernandez, Webster, Bayless). That isn't very much to get back a player of Jefferson's caliber and Ridnour...

I would really like the deal too if it involves Outlaw and not rudy or bayless. He'd be a solid addition, the only problem I see is we're still at 3 SFs, and none of those 3 can play backup pf like Outlaw could. Besides, I'm still hoping for G-Wall :pray:

KnicksorBust
02-17-2009, 01:10 PM

I agree 100%. Look at the Baby Bulls. All that young talent: Kirk/Gordon/Deng/Chandler/Curry. Looked like it was on the verge of something great... AND...they hit a wall! A team with all 25 year old starters doesn't win a title. Blazers have TONS of talented pieces that teams would be interested in. Now is the ideal time imo for them to make a play for that Rasheed Wallace type player who can put them over the top. RJ might not lead them to the promise land but he's been there before and would be a great leader and player to have.

lakerboy
02-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Good trade for the Blazers IMO.

Outlaw is a young prospect, but he's just an outside shooter. Sure he is athletic and huge/long. But he has nothing compared with a young Richard Jefferson. Luke Ridnour is also an upgrade over Rodriguez.

GunFactor187
02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
god i love the trade deadline

me too!

Young2Kinsler
02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Josh Howard for Bayless and Outlaw! lol jk, I think Portland is best suited not making a trade.

Missing56&33
02-17-2009, 01:57 PM
RJ would definitely make the Blazers even better in the playoffs but i like the direction of the team right now. So what if they lose in the first round. I think they should pass on RJ

thedfactor
02-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Jefferson would work well in Portland

koreancabbage
02-17-2009, 02:20 PM
outlaw > rj

:speechless:

don't know about that...

Nets fan 93
02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Contract