PDA

View Full Version : Why wasn't Chris Paul named All Star Game MVP?

BlondeBomber41
02-16-2009, 04:15 AM
I didnt watch the game, and I havent read the All Star thread, but someone explain to me how Shaq and Kobe got it and Chris Paul didn't?

Sure seems like a bunch of ESPN/NBA ********, trying to promote the big "Kobe/Shaq playing together thing"

Chris Paul: 14 pts, 14 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 steals

Kobe Bryant: 27 pts, 4 assists, 4 rebounds, 4 steals

Shaquille O'Neal: 17 pts, 3 assists, 5 rebounds, 1 block

sacgiants1213
02-16-2009, 04:16 AM
I didnt watch the game, and I havent read the All Star thread, but someone explain to me how Shaq and Kobe got it and Chris Paul didn't?

Sure seems like a bunch of ESPN/NBA ********, trying to promote the big "Kobe/Shaq playing together thing"

that's why.

gcoll
02-16-2009, 04:18 AM
Why ask the question that you already know the answer to?

That being said, Chris Paul is a bad ***.

yojoe792
02-16-2009, 04:22 AM
Seriously. WHO CARES???:confused::confused:

It's a meaningless award, in a meaningless game. The players don't care, why do you care? It's all for the fans, nothing serious, thats why Kobe and Shaq were named co-MVPs, makes a good story. It doesn't matter.

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 04:22 AM
Kobe deserved it more than the other two. Shaq was added for sentimental reasons as well as the fact he had some great highlight plays. I had no problem with the picks.

Nikolishin
02-16-2009, 04:25 AM
shaq got it cuz he brought the west back in it, then they took a comanding league while shaq was freakin it. and kobe is just kobe you cant stop him. kobe should have gotten it hisself, shaq got a peice of it cuz of him and kobe, but he was also a big part of the west victory

BlondeBomber41
02-16-2009, 04:27 AM

It's a meaningless award, in a meaningless game. The players don't care, why do you care? It's all for the fans, nothing serious, thats why Kobe and Shaq were named co-MVPs, makes a good story. It doesn't matter.

Yeah its for the fans, and real fans wanna see the most deserving player get the award and not just who they wanna give it to.

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 04:28 AM
Yeah its for the fans, and real fans wanna see the most deserving player get the award and not just who they wanna give it to.

Well, Kobe got at least the co-MVP so stop complaining buddy. You didn't even watch the game. Watch it and you will see why Kobe and even Shaq deserved it.

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Close the thread. I looked it up and it wasn't rigged.

There is some intrigue behind how the vote was awarded and why Kobe and Shaq split the honor. The media accounts for 75 percent of the total vote, which in this case was nine out of 12 votes. The final three votes came as a result of fan voting, with the top vote-getter earning two points and the runner-up getting a point. Alas, Shaq won the media vote 5-4 over Kobe, while Bryant claimed the fan vote as O’Neal finished second (2-1 Kobe). That gave both players six votes in an almost comical twist of fate.

The large majority of fans voted for Kobe and the media voted for Shaq (of course...LOL), which caused there to be an exact tie.

BlondeBomber41
02-16-2009, 04:40 AM
^^^ Someone is getting way too upset that another person would question Kobe getting an award.

abe_froman
02-16-2009, 04:43 AM
^^^ Someone is getting way too upset that another person would question Kobe getting an award.

there are some real die hard kobe fans on here that are sensitive to any slight(real or otherwise)towards him

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 04:44 AM

I'm not upset. I am actually cracking up at the Jet v. Glove dance-off on NBA.COM. Just trying to show you why your assertions have no merit.

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 04:47 AM
there are some real die hard kobe fans on here that are sensitive to any slight(real or otherwise)towards him

:bla: Never knew sensitivity is a direct correlation to proving a fact. Fact remains is that Shaquille O'neal won the media vote and Bryant won the fan vote in such a way that caused them to become co-MVP's. Simply spreading knowledge; no "sensitivity" there.

BlondeBomber41
02-16-2009, 04:51 AM
I'm not upset. I am actually cracking up at the Jet v. Glove dance-off on NBA.COM. Just trying to show you why your assertions have no merit.

They both played 29 minutes and Chris Pauls numbers were much more complete.

Yeah Kobe had 27 points, but he took 23 shots in 29 minutes.

The rest of the All Star starters took 33 shots combined.

Brandon Roy took 8 shots in 31 minutes, two more minutes than Kobe played.

See my point?

Chris Paul should of been MVP. Any unbias person can see that.

BlondeBomber41
02-16-2009, 04:54 AM
:bla: Never knew sensitivity is a direct correlation to proving a fact. Fact remains is that Shaquille O'neal won the media vote and Bryant won the fan vote in such a way that caused them to become co-MVP's. Simply spreading knowledge; no "sensitivity" there.

The whole point of this thread was for me to complain about how a deserving player didnt get the award because the media wanted the bigger story, and your whole point is more proof of what I am saying.

Draco
02-16-2009, 04:56 AM

See my point?

:clap:

djeller1139
02-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Because the NBA rigged it so it would make Shaq and Kobe seem like BFF's again and so they get more attention than they already have. Even before the ASG they were having Kobe and Shaq reminisce about their 'good times' together.

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 04:59 AM

See my point?

Did you not just exclaim that the fans should decide who was the MVP? The fans decided Bryant.

Kobe shot 23 shots, but was efficient at over 50%. Kobe was the only reason the West was even in the game early and Shaq/Kobe brought them back and they eventually finished the game off. THAT is why they were the MVP's. Heck, most of Paul's assists were to Kobe and Shaq. Assists in the All-Star game are sort of "meh" because you are playing with so many great players.

Anyways, who gives a damn? :p

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 05:00 AM
Because the NBA rigged it so it would make Shaq and Kobe seem like BFF's again and so they get more attention than they already have. Even before the ASG they were having Kobe and Shaq reminisce about their 'good times' together.

No.

Vinny642
02-16-2009, 05:00 AM
I thought CP3 deserved it but I didnt really care. I loved his Alley oop Dunk and then his wide open miss dunk then rebound lay up lol. He played with the most intensity outta like everyone there. Sick *** passes

Vinny642
02-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Did you not just exclaim that the fans should decide who was the MVP? The fans decided Bryant.

Kobe shot 23 shots, but was efficient at over 50%. Kobe was the only reason the West was even in the game early and Shaq/Kobe brought them back and they eventually finished the game off. THAT is why they were the MVP's. Heck, most of Paul's assists were to Kobe and Shaq. Assists in the All-Star game are sort of "meh" because you are playing with so many great players.

Actually CP3 had alot to do with the West being in it too. 8 Assists in the first half...:D pretty cool

BlondeBomber41
02-16-2009, 05:06 AM

Kobe shot 23 shots, but was efficient at over 50%. Kobe was the only reason the West was even in the game early and Shaq/Kobe brought them back and they eventually finished the game off. THAT is why they were the MVP's. Heck, most of Paul's assists were to Kobe anthed Shaq. Assists in the All-Star game are sort of "meh" because you are playing with so many great players.

If you have a bad shooting % in a All Star game its pretty sad, because nobody guards anyone. Its like shoot around.

I just think it surely seems like Chris Paul was the most complete player tonight and he should be rewarded for that.

and by fans, I meant knowledgable fans. :p

I will take your word for it that Kobe played a big part in keeping the West in it, but it seems fishy to me.

GoatMilk
02-16-2009, 05:08 AM
27/4/4/4 isnt exactly a stolen MVP
I mean CP deserved it too, but c'mon now

When LeBron goes back to Cleveland for an All-Star game as a Knick, he'll get the MVP too

kingjanjic
02-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Kobe deserved it more than the other two. Shaq was added for sentimental reasons as well as the fact he had some great highlight plays. I had no problem with the picks.

kobe was the clear mvp, they just added shaq for the seak of doing it,

KeithLBC
02-16-2009, 05:11 AM
If you have a bad shooting % in a All Star game its pretty sad, because nobody guards anyone. Its like shoot around.

Didn't you say you didn't watch it? There was actually some pretty good defense being played until midway through the third quarter when the game was already decided.

kingjanjic
02-16-2009, 05:12 AM

I just think it surely seems like Chris Paul was the most complete player tonight and he should be rewarded for that.

I will take your word for it that Kobe played a big part in keeping the West in it, but it seems fishy to me.

r u dreamiing?, kobe was the man tonight, so paul got some assits, WOW, I DONT THINK ITS HARD TO PASS TO KOBE, HE THE GREATEST PLAYER ON THE PLAnet, im sure its easy to get 14 assists off passsing to kobe the rest of the west, clearly kobe was the best player on the court in the game, get off chris pauls dick.......fo real

Vinny642
02-16-2009, 05:14 AM
of f***ing course a laker fan would say that... dude plz STFU. Kobe clear MVP yea like he deserved it for the league last year.. na CP3 did. The all star game IDC about but when u saying Kobe clearly won it ur ignorant because CP was setting him and everyone else up

this was to
kingjanjic

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 05:15 AM

Your problem is that you didn't watch the game. Watch the game and you will see that Kobe/Shaq were the most integral part of the "win." CP3 came and went. He was sporadic so to say in his part of the game and did most of his work in the garbage. Kobe was aggressive and played well on both ends while Shaq dominated in his 11 minutes. They truly deserved it. I would really recommend watching the game if you have such strong reservations about Kobe being a co-MVP.

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 05:17 AM
of f***ing course a laker fan would say that... dude plz STFU. Kobe clear MVP yea like he deserved it for the league last year.. na CP3 did. The all star game IDC about but when u saying Kobe clearly won it ur ignorant because CP was setting him and everyone else up

And everybody was finishing. What is your point? Heck, Tony Parker played some great ball in his limited minutes. It didn't really matter who was setting them up. They shot 61% for the entire game and shot their worst while CP3 was in the game early (2 for 11 until Kobe and Shaq busted out).

Vinny642
02-16-2009, 05:19 AM
And everybody was finishing. What is your point? Heck, Tony Parker played some great ball in his limited minutes. It didn't really matter who was setting them up. They shot 61% for the entire game and shot their worst while CP3 was in the game early (2 for 11 until Kobe and Shaq busted out).

My point is Kobe didn't clearly win the MVP.

BlondeBomber41
02-16-2009, 05:20 AM
Your problem is that you didn't watch the game. Watch the game and you will see that Kobe/Shaq were the most integral part of the "win." CP3 came and went. He was sporadic so to say in his part of the game and did most of his work in the garbage. Kobe was aggressive and played well on both ends while Shaq dominated in his 11 minutes. They truly deserved it. I would really recommend watching the game if you have such strong reservations about Kobe being a co-MVP.

CP3 played the exact amount of minutes as Kobe, he couldnt of "came and went" anymore than Kobe did.

If the award would of just went to Kobe, it wouldnt of stuck in my craw nearly as much as Shaq getting it also.

I still would of wondered how a guy 3 rebounds away from a triple double and with 3 steals didnt win it though.

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 05:27 AM

He didn't. He was the co-MVP.

Vinny642
02-16-2009, 05:28 AM
He didn't. He was the co-MVP.

I meant over Paul

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 05:31 AM
CP3 played the exact amount of minutes as Kobe, he couldnt of "came and went" anymore than Kobe did.

If the award would of just went to Kobe, it wouldnt of stuck in my craw nearly as much as Shaq getting it also.

I still would of wondered how a guy 3 rebounds away from a triple double and with 3 steals didnt win it though.

:confused: What are you trying to say buddy? I am speaking of a pure consistency standpoint. Not coming and going in the game. I am talking about being involved. There were stretches when Paul was non-existent while Bryant and Shaq were pretty much always in the mix of things. Shaq had 17 in 11 while Kobe had 27 in 29.

Well, the other guy had 4 steals, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists while pouring in 13 more points (arguably more as Paul padded his stats big time...you didn't watch, but the last minute and a half was a joke with Paul and others padding their stats).

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 05:32 AM
I meant over Paul

It wasn't clear, but Kobe did deserve it. It wasn't a robbery whatsoever.

Vinny642
02-16-2009, 05:35 AM
I know but one of them dum laker fans said it was clear Kobe MVP

hotdogbun
02-16-2009, 05:48 AM
kobe and shaq individually played better than cp3

kobe 27 pts, 4 reb, 4 ast, 4 stls = 39 stats and played some D
cp3 14 pts, 7 reb, 14 ast, 3 stls = 38 stats w/ 4 FOULS
shaq 17 pts, 5 reb, 3 ast, 1 blk IN 11 MINUTES!

hotdogbun
02-16-2009, 05:50 AM
and most of CP3s stats came in garbage time

Vinny642
02-16-2009, 05:51 AM
are u stupid? just because u play less minutes doesnt make you better

Vinny642
02-16-2009, 05:51 AM
and most of CP3s stats came in garbage time

He had 8 assists in the first half.... he had like 2 pnts and 2 assist in garbage time....

ARMIN12NBA
02-16-2009, 06:02 AM
He had 8 assists in the first half.... he had like 2 pnts and 2 assist in garbage time....

So put him at 12 and 12. Is that MVP worthy?

Nikolishin
02-16-2009, 06:13 AM

obviously :clap: he and shaq were mvp

hotdogbun
02-16-2009, 06:51 AM
are u stupid? just because u play less minutes doesnt make you better

i know but what you do in less minutes make you better

Vinny642
02-16-2009, 07:11 AM
So put him at 12 and 12. Is that MVP worthy?

for an all star game yea.... dont forget to include 7 rebound and three steals...

JJ81
02-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Come on, Shaq played 11 minutes and still managed to get that many points, only missing one shot... if he had played for 33 minutes he would have been the clear favourite. Plus, it's in Phoenix.

It's great that they both got it IMO.:clap:

JordansBulls
02-16-2009, 09:33 AM

Not CP3 but Amare since it was in Phx

LA412
02-16-2009, 09:35 AM
who cares..........plus Paul got like 6 assists during the last 2 minutes

LakerzDQ
02-16-2009, 09:38 AM
CP3 had a good game.

but it's not like Kobe and Shaq robbed him.

theuuord
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
hey guys this is really worth arguing over

Fayzon10
02-16-2009, 10:56 AM

Shaquille O'Neal: 17 pts, 3 assists, 5 rebounds, 1 block It's simple if you go back and look and all the previous all star game mvp's 95% of them had the most points in the game, so if a player has the most points in a game most likely he will be the mvp, they threw shaq in their because he was at home and he played well, that's just how the nba is whoever scores the most points gets the attention period.

Lo Porto
02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Because Chris Paul traveled and carried the ball all night. Half his assists would have been disallowed due to taking 3 steps before passing. I hate how the All Star Game turns into And1 crap every year. The dunks are cool, but the traveling and carrying just isn't basketball.

TheChosenOne88
02-16-2009, 11:13 AM
It's the All Star game lol

Vidball
02-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Anyone who watched the game wouldn't be arguing for CP3 to have won the award....there's a reason he didn't even get 1 of the 12 votes.

Lakermania33
02-16-2009, 11:40 AM
I love how someone who didn't watch the game can be so argumentative. lol.
I don't think CP3 won the award because of a couple of reasons. (1) Early in the game when the West got down by 12 (22-10) no one was scoring except Kobe. (2) When the West made their run I believe 28-2 Shaq was the biggest equation in that run. CP3 had a solid game but this is the all star game, he didn't really have "flair plays". Shaq played the point a couple of times and really gave the fans a good show. In an all-star game normally the voters look at two things the home town player and the most exciting player. Shaq was both in alot of settings last night.

IndyRealist
02-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Shaq clearly dominated that game, and is the reason the West won. The media saw that and that's why they voted for him. Kobe scored the most points, and he's Kobe, and that's why he won the fan voting. CP3 didn't win either the media vote or the fan vote. A game cannot be judged by the boxscore.

EDIT: Ok, that's kind of unfair to Kobe. He outplayed Lebron. He outplayed Dwayne. Shaq just outplayed everyone.

lakers4sho
02-16-2009, 01:07 PM
If Mike James was in the ASG, we wouldn't have this argument.

Unfortunately, MJ is a few couple notches above everyone else, and didn't feel like wasting his time on this one.

madiaz3
02-16-2009, 01:14 PM

I stopped taking that thread seriously there. Boxscores won't tell you what points came in garbage time or what points were scored to make the game unwinnable for the other team while it was still close. Etc.

JayW_1023
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Geez people, we're talking about an f-ing exhibition game here. Anyone on the Allstar teams can have an impressive game when almost no one plays a lick of defense.

Vinny642
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Yo, how old r ya guys

MickeyMgl
02-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Well the fans voted Kobe MVP by a ratio of 2 to 1 over the rest of the field. Shaq got a split of the award on the basis of a 5-4 media vote. Five media people decided Shaq had to be in there with Kobe.

IMO, Paul was most worthy, but since this isn't a science, Kobe was also a valid pick. Shaq... that was just "marketing".

On the other hand, Shaq was the most entertaining player out there. Give him that.