PDA

View Full Version : Conclusion of All-Star Weekend

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Well, I thought that the All-Star game was actually really good. It was nice to see a lot of defense and see the game still be high-scoring. I like the Kobe-Shaq Co-MVPs. But,I'm glad to get back to the regular season.

Did you guys like the game? I thought it really made up for last night...

Good recap of the game for those who missed it: http://probuckets.blogspot.com/2009/02/final-countdown-all-star-game-in-depth.html

elnino9
02-16-2009, 12:58 AM
meh. im just happy its back to the season and to watch my sixers tear it up!! :)

bahama0811
02-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Decent allstar game. Glad to get back to the real games.

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 01:00 AM
So am I. Getting back to the thick of it!

Can't wait for some of the games coming up. But, I have to say it was a nice break.

EddieB
02-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Need more pure shooters in the 3 point contest and they can pick more people in the slam dunk contest, only 4 people was a joke, lets see Ariza also in the dunk contest next year

durtee
02-16-2009, 01:07 AM
The game was definitely the best part of the weekend. Not a huge fan of Co-MVP, but they both deserved it. The rest of the weekend sucked. This is the only All star weekend of any sport that I look forward to. Hopefully they bounce back next year.

shortlunatic
02-16-2009, 01:10 AM
J.r. Smith!!!!!

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 01:10 AM
The game was definitely the best part of the weekend. Not a huge fan of Co-MVP, but they both deserved it. The rest of the weekend sucked. This is the only All star weekend of any sport that I look forward to. Hopefully they bounce back next year.

Totally agree. Most of the other All-Star Weekends or games are pretty boring or go by unnoticed.

Hopefully, All-Star Saturday night is a lot better next year cause that was really lacking.

But, I leave this weekend slightly happy only cause of this game.

clehmun
02-16-2009, 01:12 AM
- the co-MVP was pure marketing, the kobe and shaq reunion, the shaq homecourt in phoenix, etc.
chris paul had a near triple double, if anyone were to win co-mvp with kobe, it should have been him.

- lebron embarassed himself pretty bad.
- i liked the defense, but at the same time, didn't like all those jumpshots, and missed dunks. it was a blowout so i'd rather see some nice dunks. if it was a tight game, i wouldn't mind the defense, etc.

- saturday was horrible, let's not even talk about it.

sacgiants1213
02-16-2009, 01:13 AM
this was an ok game... but really there's nothing that could've happened that would've made up for saturday night's crap.

Teeboy1487
02-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Saturday night was the worse. The actual all star game was the best thing about all star weekend.

Anthony Flores
02-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Ya I Hated Saturday Night, Dunks werent Great, Three point shooters... meh as for the game it was a good one but the whole weekend overall can hardly compare too last years.

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Saturday night was the worse. The actual all star game was the best thing about all star weekend.

Yeah, and it usually isn't. I liked the defense throughout the game, but the East just couldn't keep up, which made the good defense look bad. Overall, I'm still really disappointed with the weekend, but I think the All-Star game helps it to come out on a good note.

lakers4sho
02-16-2009, 01:29 AM
I didn't watch Saturday night, so I guess from all the comments I've been reading, it's a good thing I didn't :up:

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 01:30 AM
I didn't watch Saturday night, so I guess from all the comments I've been reading, it's a good thing I didn't :up:

Got lucky you got to do something else with your night. Almost anything would have been better. In the middle of certain contests, I was tempted to pick up my Xbox.

Kyle N.
02-16-2009, 01:32 AM

It's a good thing you didn't. The All-Star Game is the only thing that saved this sorry weekend.

bahama0811
02-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Saturday night sucked. Nothing good happened.

sacgiants1213
02-16-2009, 01:35 AM
the 10 minutes of the celeb game that i watched was probably better than saturday night. that's how pathetic it was.

BALLER71
02-16-2009, 01:36 AM
There were only two pure shooters in the 3pt contest.
Pathetic. :pity:

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 01:37 AM
the 10 minutes of the celeb game that i watched was probably better than saturday night. that's how pathetic it was.
The celebrity game was actually pretty good, which was surprising.
But, it seems we are all in agreement that Saturday was a huge disappointment. haha

Kyle N.
02-16-2009, 01:48 AM
It's a good thing you didn't. The All-Star Game is the only thing that saved this sorry weekend.

I take that back. The Globetrotters are the only things that saved this sorry weekend.

bahama0811
02-16-2009, 01:50 AM
The only thing that save this weekend was looking forward to the rest of the season.

sacgiants1213
02-16-2009, 01:52 AM
The only thing that save this weekend was looking forward to the rest of the season.

that didn't even save the weekend since im a kings fan.

bahama0811
02-16-2009, 01:53 AM
that didn't even save the weekend since im a kings fan.

Sorry. I can't wait for the real games to start again.

ink
02-16-2009, 02:01 AM

:clap::clap:

QuaLiThADoN
02-16-2009, 02:09 AM
the best all star game remains the last one jordan play in :) that was fun

QuaLiThADoN
played***

QuaLiThADoN

well said

MickeyMgl
02-16-2009, 02:12 AM
- the co-MVP was pure marketing, the kobe and shaq reunion, the shaq homecourt in phoenix, etc.

Darned if I wasn't going to type nearly the exact same thing. It was contrived. Shaq was definitely entertaining. I'll give him that. But it's not as if they couldn't choose between giving it to Kobe or Shaq. And if it was destined to be co-MVPs, then Paul should've been in there.

Ditto, "pure marketing".

chris paul had a near triple double, if anyone were to win co-mvp with kobe, it should have been him.

I hadn't even read this line when I wrote the above. Get out of my head.

Teeboy1487
02-16-2009, 02:13 AM
the best all star game remains the last one jordan play in :) that was fun
Yeah, that all star game was my favorite of all time.

MickeyMgl
02-16-2009, 02:14 AM
I take that back. The Globetrotters are the only things that saved this sorry weekend.

They should be a permanent fixture of All-Star weekend.

bahama0811
02-16-2009, 02:18 AM
Guess we can thank the commissioner for scripting the weekend. To bad he scripted a bad weekend.

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 02:21 AM
Guess we can thank the commissioner for scripting the weekend. To bad he scripted a bad weekend.

Yeah, it was funny when he came to announce the MVPs how people were booing him.

JordansBulls
02-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Allstar weekend hasn't been the same in a while. It's hardly any participants in the dunk contest and when it is it is only 2 rounds. The same can be said about the 3 point contest.

Also for the allstar game, it lost its luster once it left a national network station.

Ever since it has been on TNT it hasn't been the same.

shortlunatic
02-16-2009, 02:24 AM

damn, i didnt get to watch the the all-star weekend cuz i dont got cable. was it really that bad tho??

Kyle N.
02-16-2009, 02:26 AM
Yeah, it was funny when he came to announce the MVPs how people were booing him.

I was one of them, but I wasn't at the game so you couldn't hear me.

Rocco007
02-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Although they both have great players..The West appears a cut above overall.

clehmun
02-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Darned if I wasn't going to type nearly the exact same thing. It was contrived. Shaq was definitely entertaining. I'll give him that. But it's not as if they couldn't choose between giving it to Kobe or Shaq. And if it was destined to be co-MVPs, then Paul should've been in there.

Ditto, "pure marketing".

I hadn't even read this line when I wrote the above. Get out of my head.

lol glad we agreed.
it was a smart move but a little too obvious.

another funny thing was, when phoenix passed the all-star torch to dallas for next year's ASG, it was shaq representing the suns. i was wondering why it wasn't amare since he was a starter, and my friend shouted "cuz he's not gona be there anymore".

Lakers4ItAll
02-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Fri celebrity game sucked

Sat all the events sucked. Hopefully Lebron AND some other "stars" will be in the dunk contest next year

Sun game was good, I was ok w/ the co mvp

chicago lulz
02-16-2009, 03:18 AM
I enjoyed it for the most part. Reggie and Kenny Smith were annoying on Saturday though.

Highlight
02-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Edit: Had to edit and I double posted...

Highlight
02-16-2009, 03:35 AM
I didn't enjoy All-Star weekend too much either.

I only enjoyed the first half of the All-Star game. The players took the game seriously and it was close + competitive. Then the West completely blew out the East :(. It would have been one of the best All-Star games in recent history had the East kept up with the West and the game was close in the end. I just love the fact that they were playing competitively from the get go, but in all honesty, the rest of All-Star weekend was a joke. IMO

Seeing Shaq with Jabbawockeez was pretty cool though. It had me laughing pretty hard.

J-Relo
02-16-2009, 03:37 AM
lol glad we agreed.
it was a smart move but a little too obvious.

another funny thing was, when phoenix passed the all-star torch to dallas for next year's ASG, it was shaq representing the suns. i was wondering why it wasn't amare since he was a starter, and my friend shouted "cuz he's not gona be there anymore".

SHAQ is legend, 15th time All-Star, that's why he represented... do you know anybody else on the court worth to do that? (Tim - don't count)

Plus he is worth being MVP, worth it! (that performance was in a bit more than 10 min, even Amare got better numbers, not talking about Paul hwo played almost 30min)

sciferguy
02-16-2009, 06:28 AM
the worst judging of a dunk contest i have ever been witness to

JayW_1023
02-16-2009, 07:00 AM
My conclusion is simple: it's pretty dumb how seriously people take exhibition-styled basketball...and at the same time how good fundamental basketball will always be taken for granted.

Just throwing in a penny...

JJ81
02-16-2009, 09:11 AM
The AS Game was good and parts of the dunk contest were too.

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
the worst judging of a dunk contest i have ever been witness to

Well, in the first couple rounds, it was obviously the "get Dwight in" scoring because you really shouldn't get a 50 in the first round except if the dunks were spectacular, which they weren't.

But, to the All Star Game, I have mixed feelings. It was better than the rest of the weekend, which makes it better to me. But, looking at it by itself, it really wasn't one of the best All Star Games I've ever seen. I guess it just looks better sitting next to the horrendous weekend.

MiamiHeat
02-16-2009, 01:06 PM
it was a decent weekend nothing special

happy that Cook won the 3point shootout

but I'm glad we get back to the real games

NYMetros
02-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Worst All-star weekend I have seen in a while. The only thing that made it not suck so much was LeBron announcing that he is going to be in the dunk contest next year. Other than that, it was very boring. The horse competition was the best part.

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
I think everyone can agree that they are glad it is back to the regular season. :D

albertc86
02-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Nate Robinson impressed the hell out of me. He didn't need a 100 attempts this time.

albertc86
02-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Worst All-star weekend I have seen in a while. The only thing that made it not suck so much was LeBron announcing that he is going to be in the dunk contest next year. Other than that, it was very boring. The horse competition was the best part.

How did LeBron saying he was going to enter the competition elevate the atmosphere? LeBron is going to do his same ol' redundant dunks and the judges will be on his sack and give him 10's.

bahama0811
02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I think everyone can agree that they are glad it is back to the regular season. :D

Good to have the break, now back to real games. This should be a good playoff run.

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
How did LeBron saying he was going to enter the competition elevate the atmosphere? LeBron is going to do his same ol' redundant dunks and the judges will be on his sack and give him 10's.

Well, we can all hope for a year that he does something original.

Twinsfan24
02-16-2009, 01:50 PM
This all star weekend was by far the worst. There was really nothing that i wanted to stay watching. Dunk contest was average at best. No way Dwights dunks were 50's in the first round come on people. Fernadez's dunk from around the hoop should have been a 50. And Kobe and Shaq please NBA make it more obvious that you are all about money and marketing. Chris Paul should have had it not shaq. And that game was beyond boring, There was no difference between a regular seeason game, All star games are meant to show off skills. Who really cares who wins. Next year dont play DEFENSE. No one cares about defensive stops.

Tom2634
02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, in the first couple rounds, it was obviously the "get Dwight in" scoring because you really shouldn't get a 50 in the first round except if the dunks were spectacular, which they weren't.

The same thing could be said about Nate. Even though Rudy took like 10 shots at his behind the backboard dunk, it was still better than both of Nates if you ask me. If Dwight did a one bounce windmill or reverse he wouldn't even make the second round. Jumping off someones back gets a 41? If he had done the vince elbow in the rim then maybe. Definitely set up to get the two guys with costumes into the second round if you ask me.

albertc86
02-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I must admit --- the dunk Nate dude off of dude's back was stupid. He should've just brought out a trampoline and dunked on the 12 foot rim.

thephoenixson28
02-16-2009, 02:28 PM
I didn't watch that much celibrity game but when I did it was ok. On saturday the team shooting thing was probably the best. As for the skills challenge the best thing was rose dunk at the end but it sucked. The dunk contest had probably the best dunks I ever seen but it took them a while. That rudy fernandez dunk and nate robinson dunk over howard was crazy, But the other dunks like the 12ft rim, or nate robinsons jumping off wilson chandler back was dumb. The 3pt contest wasn't good but when is it ever only when peja was in it. They didn't even have the best shooters who picks the people that are in this contest. The all star game was pretty good, but at the end they should've just let everyone do some crazy dunks but lebron james held on to the ball and finally dunked it. Amare had a good windmill at the end. I think the kobe and shaq thing was planned by stern.

BTownTeamsRKing
02-16-2009, 02:53 PM

i agree.

the best part was D Rose finishing his win of the skills competition with that nice reverse dunk. thats about it.

EddieB
02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Well to me the Dunk Contest was a joke ever since they robbed Dominique in 1988

DemonDeacs
02-16-2009, 04:39 PM
I must admit --- the dunk Nate dude off of dude's back was stupid. He should've just brought out a trampoline and dunked on the 12 foot rim.

Yeah. It wasn't really a dunk. Also, the whole thing with Pau Gasol doing an around the back pass was stupid. Fernandez won't get any extra points for that and he probably would have made it sooner had Pau just passed it normally.