PDA

View Full Version : Terry Porter Fired; Alvin Gentry hired as interim head coach

-Juice-
02-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Official now! Thank the gods, keep Amare, trade Shaq and go back to run and gun. All the players now respect and can talk to their coach. Watch out for the Suns!

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/02/15/20090215spt-sunsporter.html

Kyle N.
02-15-2009, 06:56 PM
It seems like every team is in coach firing mode this year.

KB24PG16
02-15-2009, 06:58 PM
R I P porter's coaching carear

njnets
02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
wow that looks bad for kerr. having your 1st year coach fired after 50 games is bad.

-Juice-
02-15-2009, 07:00 PM
This needed to be done, he just wasn't a good fit for Phoenix. The Suns are probably going back to old run and gun ball. As I said, not being a homer but watch out for them. They shoot the highest FG % in the league, but had so many turnovers it hurt them so bad.

If this team can work on its turnovers and giving up offensive rebounding, they will be dangerous.

-Juice-
02-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Shaquille O'Neal for Raef LaFrentz & Sergio Rodriguez

DO IT!

abe_froman
02-15-2009, 07:08 PM
i doubt it changes anything with regards to amare,but thats primarily financial(and might even expedite it depending on the structure of porters buy out)

KnickVeteran
02-15-2009, 07:11 PM
That's messed up.

blackjack_119
02-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Shaquille O'Neal for Raef LaFrentz & Sergio Rodriguez

DO IT!

That deal doesn't work salary wise and Portland wouldn't do it anyway.

Suns Man
02-15-2009, 07:22 PM
#1 - Fire Terry Porter (supposedly that has been done)
#2 - Trade Shaq (I like Shaq but Amare should be the main go to guy)
#3 - Keep Amare (why in the world would we trade him for T Thomas or Sheed)
If we trade him for Sheed, I will have to pick another team to follow)
#4 - Somebody put a boot up Matt Barne's a... (he's been looking stupid out there of late)
#5 - Pray a lot for Dragic (he looks terrible and lost out there)
#6 - Don't even think about letting Barbosa go - he's too valuable to us)

Russ

GodsSon
02-15-2009, 07:27 PM
wow...he coached the suns and bucks for a total of 2.5 seasons, and was fired by both teams...thats a bad hire-fire ratio lol

sacgiants1213
02-15-2009, 07:29 PM
the firing had to be done. No body related to Porter.

NYK
02-15-2009, 07:34 PM
It was going to happen sooner or later but I think Amare will still be traded by the deadline.

pippsux
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
A coaching change is not going to change anything. Trading Marion for Shaq was a big mistake.

MJ-BULLS
02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
It was going to happen sooner or later but I think Amare will still be traded by the deadline.

i hope he ends up getting traded to the bulls:rolleyes:

heatking
02-15-2009, 07:45 PM
way to mess up a 50+ win franchise. first trade for shaq, and than let D'antony walk. WOW nice little experiment, now they have to start all over again in the middle of the season with their star feeling hurt because of all the trade talk.

by the way sorry bull fans, this probably means amare wont be traded.

Lone Maverick
02-15-2009, 07:47 PM
If this is true, then that's just bad. SMH @ kerr lol

Missing56&33
02-15-2009, 07:52 PM
poor Terry Porter, the knicks loss is what did it. KISS OF DEATH

Missing56&33
02-15-2009, 07:54 PM
This needed to be done, he just wasn't a good fit for Phoenix. The Suns are probably going back to old run and gun ball. As I said, not being a homer but watch out for them. They shoot the highest FG % in the league, but had so many turnovers it hurt them so bad.

If this team can work on its turnovers and giving up offensive rebounding, they will be dangerous.

I doubt that maybe they would run a little bit more than Porter had them running but they traded away most of the run and gun players

GspLAL
02-15-2009, 07:56 PM

They won't get anywhere playing run and gun and absolutely no defense.

SunsBearsfan
02-15-2009, 07:59 PM
the bulls dont have the right package phoenix wants or needs....a bunch of garbage players wont be a good trade for them (which is basically everyone on the bulls except rose, deng and tyrus)....run and gun time again, baby! GO PHX!

kntresistheheat
02-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Do this:p

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Raps08-09 Champ
02-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Why are teams making so much late moves this year?

They should have fired him in January so they could have developed with Gentry as coach so they can make a run for the playoffs

The Answer3
02-15-2009, 08:11 PM
The Suns probably don't trade Amare now.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Trade Shaq for Szerbiak and Varajao

would work salary-wise

Suns get alot of expiring

Missing56&33
02-15-2009, 08:13 PM
With Terry Porter out it might not be a bad idea to try and trade Shaq instead of Amare. This way they could try to be more of a running team. Maybe Denver? that will make them more competitive, for KM and filler? I like Amare at C and KM at PF would be interesting to see

leftie5
02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
The day after a loss to the Chicago Bulls two weeks ago, Grant Hill gave an impassioned talk to his teammates, urging them to have fun and play for each other. According to a Suns source, Porter then walked into the locker room and spent the next two-plus hours showing the players everything they had done wrong in the game.

“That just drained all the energy from the room,” said the source. “You could see it on everyone’s face.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AoBp.k7KYEtwNLHWWX0jhIq8vLYF?slug=jy-gentrysuns021509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

KB24PG16
02-15-2009, 08:39 PM
The day after a loss to the Chicago Bulls two weeks ago, Grant Hill gave an impassioned talk to his teammates, urging them to have fun and play for each other. According to a Suns source, Porter then walked into the locker room and spent the next two-plus hours showing the players everything they had done wrong in the game.

“That just drained all the energy from the room,” said the source. “You could see it on everyone’s face.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AoBp.k7KYEtwNLHWWX0jhIq8vLYF?slug=jy-gentrysuns021509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

hes the bill parcells of basketball except he sucks at winning

IndyRealist
02-15-2009, 08:40 PM

That's just messed up.

Punkindrublic03
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
SSOL with Gentry. Don't trade amare pleaaaaaase

amwpr86
02-15-2009, 08:51 PM
For some reason I thought Cleveland wanted shaq and not amare. If they can unload shaq then Amare, Nash, and J-Rich can be way more effective if they return to a running team.

skyhibballpj87
02-15-2009, 09:06 PM
I doubt that maybe they would run a little bit more than Porter had them running but they traded away most of the run and gun players

i disagree amare, nash, richardson, barbosa, barnes are pretty much run and gun players. barnes and richardson both played on the warriors another run and gun team. Hill can still run off the bench, if shaq lags behind oh well, let him come off the bench. im not suns fan but i always liked the run and gun style of play and yes i think they can still do it with the players they have.

KG2TB
02-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Now the Bulls just need to fire VDN. This isn't a good sign for PHX. I don't see how you'd conclude they're not trading Amar'e now because they fired Porter. This team is a mess and is obviously rebuilding. If anything, I believe the chances Amar'e gets dealt are the same or maybe have even gone up.

shortlunatic
02-15-2009, 09:29 PM
With Terry Porter out it might not be a bad idea to try and trade Shaq instead of Amare. This way they could try to be more of a running team. Maybe Denver? that will make them more competitive, for KM and filler? I like Amare at C and KM at PF would be interesting to see

NEVER!!! I dont want Shaq hes like 36. Shaq just clogs it up, Hows Melo gonna get to the rim, with Shaq just lingering in there. No way.

shortlunatic
02-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Now the Bulls just need to fire VDN. This isn't a good sign for PHX. I don't see how you'd conclude they're not trading Amar'e now because they fired Porter. This team is a mess and is obviously rebuilding. If anything, I believe the chances Amar'e gets dealt are the same or maybe have even gone up.

I dont know if a agree bour Vinny. Its his first year, and he didnt really have a lot to work with when hinrich and deng were out. we still dont have gooden. It's a mistake to hire a head coach that never coached b4, but now that he is here, we might as well give him the year. Even though that last play during the Heat game was a very upsetting. I blame him for that one.

-Juice-
02-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Around Phoenix, people are saying that they were shopping Amare to see what they could get. If they could get a great offer, they take it and go from there. They got nothing that interested them, so they went to plan B; which of course was firing Terry Porter.

JJ_JKidd
02-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Official now! Thank the gods, keep Amare, trade Shaq and go back to run and gun. All the players now respect and can talk to their coach. Watch out for the Suns!

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/02/15/20090215spt-sunsporter.html

Watch out Kerr might be fired too...

A coaching change is not going to change anything. Trading Marion for Shaq was a big mistake.

MArion had to be traded, he had some issues with the team.

shortlunatic
02-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Around Phoenix, people are saying that they were shopping Amare to see what they could get. If they could get a great offer, they take it and go from there. They got nothing that interested them, so they went to plan B; which of course was firing Terry Porter.

That actually sounds like it would be right. I doubt that Amare gets traded now, it just seems like to big a move for a team after they make a move like this

king4day
02-15-2009, 11:18 PM
That actually sounds like it would be right. I doubt that Amare gets traded now, it just seems like to big a move for a team after they make a move like this

If the speculation that there may be a deal on the table already and they are waiting for the ASG to end before trading him isn't true and the Suns don't trade Amare tomorrow, then I don't think he'll go.

shortlunatic
02-15-2009, 11:22 PM
If the speculation that there may be a deal on the table already and they are waiting for the ASG to end before trading him isn't true and the Suns don't trade Amare tomorrow, then I don't think he'll go.

Well I dont know about that. Sometimes they like to take as much time as they can to think about it. I would expect a deal to be made by Wednsday if there is a deal to be made.

Lakersfan2483
02-15-2009, 11:35 PM

Porter was a bad hire from the beginning, they need a more experienced coach, they should look into hiring Flip Saunders and or Avery Johnson....

leftie5
02-15-2009, 11:46 PM

LOL. Sad but true.

To be fair, it's unfortunate that he got fired, but people always have to have someone to blame. It's on Kerr and the players as well, but he just didn't connect with the team.

_Sn1P3r_
02-15-2009, 11:48 PM
I guess Amare stays most likely then.

theimortalone
02-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Thank god it finally happened! :dance: :dance2: :clap: :hi5: :cheers: :rock: :rimshot: :cheer: :jumpy:

Suns fans rejoice!!!!!!!! :clap:

JayW_1023
02-16-2009, 01:06 AM
One possibility could be Shaq as player coach...lol...at least then they'll be entertaining again.

SDBearsFan
02-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Called this a couple days ago, and was called crazy...

Guess it helps to have gotten to know Steve Kerr's son last year before I graduated.

lakers4sho
02-16-2009, 01:29 AM
I don't think anything can be done this season. They need to start over again from scratch.

gcoll
02-16-2009, 02:05 AM

This made me laugh.

On a side note: The Marion for Shaq stuff...what's done is done. If we didn't make that deal, Marion would be gone anyway. He would have opted out.

Can the season be salvaged? Absolutely.

shortlunatic
02-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Called this a couple days ago, and was called crazy...

Guess it helps to have gotten to know Steve Kerr's son last year before I graduated.

I BELIVED YOU!!!! but if thats true, than why havent you said anything on the topic of stoudemire:eyebrow:

dodie53
02-16-2009, 05:55 AM
it's about time for Terry.

and imo,
amare won't be traded,
it would be shaq.

thesparky33
02-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I really dont know much about the Amare situation, except for what's been reported by ESPN and such, but with the coach being fired, I think that gives it a less likely chance that Amare will be dealt. Just my opinion.

SDBearsFan
02-16-2009, 01:24 PM
I BELIVED YOU!!!! but if thats true, than why havent you said anything on the topic of stoudemire:eyebrow:

amare won't be traded

shortlunatic
02-16-2009, 05:10 PM
amare won't be traded

:mad: lol

Hustla23
02-16-2009, 05:20 PM
It took them this long to fire that idiot Porter?

Since when do you try to turn the Suns into a defensive team :pity:

I think the run and gun is their only way out.

futureman
02-16-2009, 06:03 PM
How often has a team who still fired their coach and have still made the playoffs? They never should've fired D'antoni I think. When a team plays awful it's always the coaches fault right?

Phoenix won't win 15 more games this year and thats a promise. They will be like the knicks in 2010 and thats also a promise.

Any team willing to just trade away their franchise player will not be a better team for it.

This makes me glad the Suns were dumb enough to hand over New York's unprotected first rounder who will be as good as kobe and lebron.

thefutureheisma
02-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I think the suns will get back into there run and gun style of offense now. Terry Porter came in there with an entirely new offensive that didn't suit Steve Nash or Amare and has sputtered because of it. With this change I see the Suns getting back to this style and be a lot more potent offensively and will get them into the playoffs that's if they don't trade Amare away.

still1ballin
02-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Porter did a great job as coach of the Suns.

Blackification
02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Porter did a great job as coach of the Suns.

great job if you aren't a suns fan.

ElMarroAfamado
02-16-2009, 07:49 PM
its funny that people act like if alvin gentry YES ALVING GENTRY....is going to do anything with the suns
they will probably be worse off now

Hustla23
02-16-2009, 08:37 PM
How often has a team who still fired their coach and have still made the playoffs? They never should've fired D'antoni I think. When a team plays awful it's always the coaches fault right?

Phoenix won't win 15 more games this year and thats a promise. They will be like the knicks in 2010 and thats also a promise.

Any team willing to just trade away their franchise player will not be a better team for it.

This makes me glad the Suns were dumb enough to hand over New York's unprotected first rounder who will be as good as kobe and lebron.

Haha. If you can get lucky with the 30th pick, then more power to you man ;)

GoatMilk
02-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Gentry is a piece of crap

futureman
02-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Haha. If you can get lucky with the 30th pick, then more power to you man ;)

In case you didn't know, the jazz will have their pick before the knicks can sign lebron.

Hustla23
02-17-2009, 12:04 PM
In case you didn't know, the jazz will have their pick before the knicks can sign lebron.

Oh really? Wow, I had no idea. Well, good for you man. I"m really happy for you.

In any case, I won't feel too bad about the pick since Lebron is better than any pick at this point. :)

-Juice-
02-18-2009, 05:12 PM
its funny that people act like if alvin gentry YES ALVING GENTRY....is going to do anything with the suns
they will probably be worse off now

140-100. I think he did pretty well for his first night as the Suns coach.