PDA

View Full Version : How can we fix all-star weekend

WeaponXXX
02-15-2009, 01:55 AM
It is clear that Vince Carter has ruined dunking for us. There is no one remotely even close. If you do think there is one, you've lost your mind. So how do we make this weekend more interesting

What we can do is lose the dunk contest but have a "all dunk game" with "All-East Dunk team" and a "All west Dunk team". Team will consist of 10 players and will play for a prize of 6-8 million dollars split amongst the 10 players. Players can be voted on but can choose to not play in the game.

Rules:
All shots and layups will be counted as 2 points.
All dunks will be counted as 3 points
All nba rules apply
Players are allowed to hang on the rims for as long as they want for safety reasons
Teams will buy insurance
Teams will recieve cash considerations of 4 million dollars that work towards there salary cap if the person who is VOTED in goes. If has to be hand picked, team will only get 2 mill

Where will the funding come from?
48 minute game. Ton of advertisements and commerical breaks
Sponsors
In the next collective bargining agreement, apply a 1.5% tax on all players that make more than 1.99 million dollars.

Why will players go?
6-8 million dollars will be won for the team who wins. Which equals to 6-800,000 dollars per person. And is only 48 minutes of work

Why will they play hard?
Money

Why players and teams wont do it
Injury

If this was applied, my team would be

East:
1) D.Rose
2) D.Wade (Wont come, make too much $$$)
3)L.James ( Wont come, make too much $$$)
4) Tyrus Thomas (First name that came to mind)
5) D Howard (Probably come, he's jokes)

West:
1)Baron Davis (Wont come) 1b) Nate Rob
2)Kobe (Wont come) 2b) Jason Richardson
3)Rudy Gay (Will come)
4)Nene
5) Amare

shortlunatic
02-15-2009, 01:58 AM
sounds interesting lol

twoearl
02-15-2009, 01:59 AM
i dont like this idea, dosent make to much sense. You basically just describe the all star game.

Chateamsfan
02-15-2009, 02:01 AM
:injury:
It is clear that Vince Carter has ruined dunking for us. There is no one remotely even close. If you do think there is one, you've lost your mind. So how do we make this weekend more interesting

What we can do is lose the dunk contest but have a "all dunk game" with "All-East Dunk team" and a "All west Dunk team". Team will consist of 10 players and will play for a prize of 6-8 million dollars split amongst the 10 players. Players can be voted on but can choose to not play in the game.

Rules:
All nba rules apply
Players are allowed to hang on the rims for as long as they want for safety reasons
Teams will buy insurance
Teams will recieve cash considerations of 4 million dollars that work towards there salary cap if the person who is VOTED in goes. If has to be hand picked, team will only get 2 mill

Sponsors
In the next collective bargining agreement, apply a 1.5% tax on all players that make more than 1.99 million dollars.

Why will players go?
6-8 million dollars will be won for the team who wins. Which equals to 6-800,000 dollars per person. And is only 48 minutes of work

Why will they play hard?
Money

Injury

East:
1) D.Rose

West:
3)Rudy Gay (Will come)
4)Nene
5) Amare

You answered youre on question by saying they will get injured!:injury:

Mile High Champ
02-15-2009, 02:05 AM
Just expand the dunk contest to 6 guys. Than add another dunk to the first round so we have 5 dunks from each guy.. The dunk contest is way too short and we need to see more dunks. Thats the only good thing about allstar weekend..

still1ballin
02-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Add newer and better contestants.

stawka
02-15-2009, 02:14 AM
The NBA needs to improve the dunk contest. That was more appealing in the late 80's and early 90's then the All-Star game. There was guys like Dominique/Jordan/Nance/Spud/LJ/Kemp etc. etc.etc all going at it in an 8-man contest 3-round elimination that was full of excitement.

Now we have 4 people. Of those 4, one is a Superstar and 3 of them are role players at best. They bring no excitement to the game, and even the players on the sidelines don't go crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDBtwXUN_q8

LMAO @ Marion throwing everyone out the way

stawka
02-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Force Dwight/LeBron/Kobe/Wade/Carter/J-Rich/Amare/J-Smith to enter :D

Deezy Dee 24
02-15-2009, 02:21 AM
add better, more exciting, and newer events.
rookie vs. sophmore is good as well as the celebrity game.
but haier shooting stars is boring as hell.
skills challenge is ok but make it more exciting.
three point shoot out is okay its original.
dunk contest is gettin old and there runnin out of dunks but maybe lebron can save it.
h-o-r-s-e was actually fun to watch to me cause it had my favorite o.j. mayo.
WEAPON wat you said is just adding another major game.(not saying i dnt like it i love it)
they need to add more fan-exciting events like all day saturday and friday afternoon

stawka
02-15-2009, 02:25 AM
I like the idea, although I think there would be a high risk of injuries. There would be no point in having it it you can't play defense... But there would be no point if it's just dunks because too many people would get injured.

Becks2307
02-15-2009, 02:30 AM
honestly player are only gonna play hard when it matters...this decline of all star sat night was inevitable

sacgiants1213
02-15-2009, 02:32 AM
how bout a layup contest or a two ball competition..?

yeah these ideas suck, i got nothing.

np6526
02-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Vince did ruin it for us. He spoiled us!!! I'm always expecting something amazing now, but nothing ever lives up to VC. The 2000 Dunk Contest was the best dunk competition in years, we need to go back to the old format. 3 rounds, 6 guys. The fans should be able to vote in dunkers, and for God sake, please let us choose from someone other than Fernandez, Westbrook, and Alexander, no offense to those guys. I'm so glad BronBron is gonna be in the competition next year :D....maybe others such as D-Wade will step up! IMO the dunk Rose did in the skills competition killed almost 85% of the dunks in the contest!

Talick
02-15-2009, 02:49 AM

2010...It is a milestone year.

SpaceCadet
02-15-2009, 03:01 AM
wow ur pretty bored

tymonic1
02-15-2009, 03:04 AM
freethrow contest would be the shiiiiiiit

SJSHARKIES
02-15-2009, 03:05 AM
The All-Star game is pretty boring, except the dunk contest. The dunk contest should be longer with more contestants entering. I agree force Kobe, Lebron, Carter, J-Richardson to enter the dunk contest every year. LOL

SJSHARKIES
02-15-2009, 03:06 AM
freethrow contest would be the shiiiiiiit

LOL:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laug h::laugh:

elnino9
02-15-2009, 03:49 AM
there needs to be a change in all star weekend because it is really declining in interest. no one tried in HORSE, the shooting stars is dumb as ******, no one tried in skills comp., three point meh (not good shooting at all), and dunk contest was rigged (rudy shouldve advanced over nate).

something has got to change.

lakerboy
02-15-2009, 03:53 AM
They should copy WWE.

Bras and panties match.

LA girl vs Cleveland girl.

Seriously. After what the NBA players have been getting,.. they should give back to the groupies!!

elnino9
02-15-2009, 03:55 AM
They should copy WWE.

Bras and panties match.

LA girl vs Cleveland girl.

Seriously. After what the NBA players have been getting,.. they should give back to the groupies!!

hahahahaha ditto:clap:

carlo4444
02-15-2009, 04:44 AM
i think a contest where they show off moves like cross overs and stuff would be sick.

donno somthing like that ay

hotdogbun
02-15-2009, 04:59 AM
put a 1-on-1 tournament

the life
02-15-2009, 08:00 AM

Rules:
All nba rules apply
Teams will buy insurance

Sponsors

Why will players go?

Why will they play hard?
Money

Injury

East:
1) D.Rose

West:
3)Rudy Gay (Will come)
4)Nene
5) Amare

i would give 1 point for any clear block and no other way to score beside dunks and threes is accepted during the game.

magichatnumber9
02-15-2009, 08:50 AM
I want every thing the same except have some All Star one on one games. Lebron vs. Kobe. Baron Davis Vs Chris Paul. Paul Pierce VS Ron Artest. This would be the icing on the cake.

FarOutIos
02-15-2009, 09:27 AM
How about a chinese obstacle course dunk contest?... Maybe make the contestants walk a moving plank to get to the basket? Or dunk past hanging tires swinging from the scoreboard...

lukeem21
02-15-2009, 09:36 AM
a one on one contest throughout the week between all the all star contestents would be pretty cool

they need to return to the old dunk contest format when players have like 3:00mins to perform and their entire performance is rated... this way they can do some good safety dunks and mix in trying really difficult ones.... and you dont get players spending their entire time trying one dunk over and over again
that is just boring, and its never good when they finally get it cause everyone was just waiting for it

Ollie Tabooger
02-15-2009, 10:24 AM
i know this is a bit off topic but did anyone see cheryl miller get pissed at that kid giving her the envelope for the dunk contest results? lol i found that quite funny

Hellcrooner
02-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Put the Dunkers trough various Takeshis castles trials ad then end dunking the ball :p

mike_noodles
02-15-2009, 11:14 AM
I think the judges in the SD Comp need to be more careful in giving away scores of 50, because two of the 50's that they gave to Nate were not 50 dunks.

Also keep Reggie Miller and Kenny Smith wholed up in a basement somewhere for the weekend so I don't have to listen to them.

Young2Kinsler
02-15-2009, 11:26 AM

Don't think Amare, Smith or Wade would be that good, and Howard is over rated. If we are talking about the best Dunkers in the NBA, we should invite Gerald Green, Desmond Mason, Lebron, Carter and a couple others.

Now to fix all star weekend, you simply need judges who have a ****ing clue. How the best dunk of the night gets the lowest score, and some of the worst get 50's is just flat out a joke. In the past they had real superstars out there judging, this year those guys blew hard. Rudy got robbed of doing 2 more dunks. I really would of liked to seen what he had in mind.

DenButsu
02-15-2009, 11:36 AM
No costumes, no props, no theatrics (ie. phone booths et al). That would be a good start.

durtee
02-15-2009, 11:52 AM
No costumes, no props, no theatrics (ie. phone booths et al). That would be a good start.

This would be a good start. I am fine with them bringing in a higher rim or raising the one that is there, but lets cut out the costumes. Next get better contestants. Vince and JRich were so entertaining to watch because they had hops and they were creative. Not creative by dressing up or using stupid props, but creative with their dunks because that is what the dunk contest is all about.

BALLER71
02-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Tyrus Thomas... really? On the All-star game?
Wow.

Hustla23
02-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Just expand the dunk contest to 6 guys. Than add another dunk to the first round so we have 5 dunks from each guy.. The dunk contest is way too short and we need to see more dunks. Thats the only good thing about allstar weekend..

I agree.

There's too little dunks.

Watching the dunk contest seems like a 5 minute youtube clip.

dre1990
02-15-2009, 12:44 PM
I dont see a problem with Nate being in it

Hawkeye15
02-15-2009, 04:08 PM
for the selections, players should decide the reserves