PDA

View Full Version : How to get the players to quit taking steroids

rkelly7
02-14-2009, 09:12 PM
It's pretty simple, hit them where it hurts:

1. If you ever test positive for a banned substance, you are automatically ineligible for the Hall of Fame

2. If you ever test positive for a banned substance, your contract is torn up and you become a free agent, that player will never be able to make above the league minimum again, no signing bonuses or incentive laden deals, they can only make the league minimum, not a penny more

The first one will stop potential Hall of Famers (like Arod) from ever using them

The second will stop all the other greedy clowns who think making half a million a year should allow them to be on welfare

Obviously, this would not apply to people in trouble now (Bonds, Arod) but anybody from this point forth would be punished, suspensions aren't enough, hit them where it hurts and get baseball back on track, I'm tired of this BS

DewsSox79
02-14-2009, 09:18 PM
ban from baseball from the date of pos test. contract void.

ruckus16969
02-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I think steriods should be included in MLB players health plans.. Let who ever wants to use it just let them use it..

Life'sABrees
02-14-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm failing to see how the current testing system that major league baseball has installed is not keeping players off of steroids... I mean if you're referring to recent revelations about players using in the late 90s early 2000s well that was when baseball didn't test... Now aside from some minor leaguers and a select few major leaguers do you think steroids remains widespread in MLB and if so how do you figure?

sodomen37
02-14-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm failing to see how the current testing system that major league baseball has installed is not keeping players off of steroids... I mean if you're referring to recent revelations about players using in the late 90s early 2000s well that was when baseball didn't test... Now aside from some minor leaguers and a select few major leaguers do you think steroids remains widespread in MLB and if so how do you figure?
I don't know if it does remain widespread but it is possible since there are still a number of steroids out on the market that are not detectable in the urine. Now if MLB ever went to blood testing that would shorten the list, but I don't see that happening. As for the proposed punishments, I could definitely see the not being able to get into the hall of fame coming into effect, but I think the second one is a little too harsh.

rkelly7
02-14-2009, 11:52 PM
I don't know if it does remain widespread but it is possible since there are still a number of steroids out on the market that are not detectable in the urine. Now if MLB ever went to blood testing that would shorten the list, but I don't see that happening. As for the proposed punishments, I could definitely see the not being able to get into the hall of fame coming into effect, but I think the second one is a little too harsh.

I disagree, i think the second rule would be what keeps the players from using steroids, one idiot would get caught, and nobody else would be stupid enough to use them, even mediocre bench players get 3-5 million per year, imagine if this happened to AROD and the Yankees had to resign him for 10 years at 5 million overall :speechless: that would be hilarious

Talick
02-15-2009, 05:07 AM

cuz you would continue to sympathize with somebody who uses steroids?

#27in2007
02-15-2009, 09:31 AM
if the fact that it shrinks your balls, makes you go bald, and have tons of acne doesn't stop you from using them, then making someone ineligible for the HOF won't matter.... i hold my balls in a higher level than I do the baseball HOF.... but you have good ideas.. i do not think the union would go for it but you never know...

INFECTED
02-15-2009, 11:30 AM

1. If you ever test positive for a banned substance, you are automatically ineligible for the Hall of Fame

2. If you ever test positive for a banned substance, your contract is torn up and you become a free agent, that player will never be able to make above the league minimum again, no signing bonuses or incentive laden deals, they can only make the league minimum, not a penny more

The first one will stop potential Hall of Famers (like Arod) from ever using them

The second will stop all the other greedy clowns who think making half a million a year should allow them to be on welfare

Obviously, this would not apply to people in trouble now (Bonds, Arod) but anybody from this point forth would be punished, suspensions aren't enough, hit them where it hurts and get baseball back on track, I'm tired of this BS

While I agree with the general idea of what you are saying, I would say to go a step harsher..... 1st pos test = lifetime ban

thawv
02-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Hall of Fame eligibility rules are already in place. It is completely separate from the players association. In order to ban them from the Hall, they must first be banned from baseball. That alone removes you from the ballot.

How about a real simple plan. First offense: 1 year suspension. Second offense: Lifetime ban.

Of course MLB can't just do that without the approval of the union. And I'm pretty sure the union won't agree to that. Hell, it was like pulling teeth just to get the union to agree with the program that's in place now. And it's pretty soft I might add.

Also, try to get the test to be blood instead of urine. HGH will pop then. Watch the numbers go down big time.

Dburch1102
02-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Good luck with the Union on that one

bloodhawk
02-15-2009, 12:29 PM
the new rules are fine

50 games for 1st positive
100 games for 2nd
lifetime ban for 3rd

3 strikes you're out...

MooseWithFleas
02-15-2009, 02:46 PM
I disagree with all these punishments, from now on though, put cyanide in all steroids. One of two things will happen to steroids in MLB...

Tragedy
02-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I think steriods should be included in MLB players health plans.. Let who ever wants to use it just let them use it..
Steroids are illegal in this country. That would be illegal for MLB to say "Whoever wants to use it, go for it".