PDA

View Full Version : Braves in mix for Griffey

SilverAndBlue
02-14-2009, 04:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3907492

Personally, Griffey is a pretty attractive guy for us and I hope we can get him. he's that LF bat we lack and has power. Even though is avg has slipped, his homeruns have maintained around 25-30.

IndiansFan337
02-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Two baseball sources told ESPN.com on Saturday that the Braves are making a late play for Ken Griffey Jr. and have begun discussing money with his agent.
The Braves should have gone after Bobby Abreu or Adam Dunn, but Griffey would still qualify as an upgrade over what they have right now. We just don't understand why these teams looking at Griffey and Garret Anderson aren't talking to Jim Edmonds, who posted a mere 937 OPS in 250 at-bats for the Cubs last season.
Rotoworld.com

I'm not sure why they didn't make an offer to Abreu. He is worth more than the $5 million that he got. And he is better than Griffey.

Slash
02-14-2009, 04:48 PM
I hope not.

BravesBillsFan
02-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Junior is my all-time favorite player. I have his jersey from Seattle, 2 Reds jerseys and a White Sox jersey. If he came to the Braves I would be ecstatic. Granted he's not the player he once was, but in platoon role I could see him hitting .270 with 20 HRs and 65 RBI

njbravefan
02-14-2009, 04:58 PM
he'd be as good a pickup as anyone out there right now, and we won't have to give up anything

Saltyfan
02-14-2009, 05:31 PM
A Griffey/Diaz platoon is better than a Jones/Diaz platoon. Not a signing I think fixes our offensive woes, but it definately doesn't hurt.

rtgthree
02-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Rotoworld.com

I'm not sure why they didn't make an offer to Abreu. He is worth more than the $5 million that he got. And he is better than Griffey.

Who says they didn't make an offer to Abreu?

I've been pretty anti-Griffey up to this point, but I'm really starting to change my mind now that the Braves seem to be planning to employ a platoon in left field. People argue the merits and demerits of Matt Diaz, but there is one thing we know: he can hit left-handed pitching.

And in spite of Griffey's old-age frailties, he can still MASH right-handed pitching (OPS the last three years vs. RHP: .841, .943, .869). If the training staff can just keep the Kid on the field, we could have ourselves some very nice production from left field.

The only worry for me is that Cox would get carried away because Griffey happens to be famous: the playing time arrangement would have to be a very strict platoon with Diaz to maximize the skills of both players. Still, it looks as though the price will be right (perhaps $3-4 million), and it could turn out to be a big strength.

TomahawkChopper
02-14-2009, 06:00 PM
I actually really like this idea. Diaz has always showed us hes been conistently better working out of a platoon and while Griffey's AVG has slipped he still manages to keep his Homerun numbers the same near the 30 mark. This will also help Griffey by getting the rest that he needs. The more I think about it, not only the more I like it but the more I think this could happen its best for both parties and unless Seattle offers him a significant amount more then us or he goes there for nostalgic reasons I think we will end up seeing him in Atlanta.

baseballs14d
02-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Just a fun fact here if we did sign Griffey(611) it would become the 4th largest home run combo in history, along with Chipper Jones(408) total (1019), behind only 1. Griffey (611) and Thome (541) total (1152) at the end of 2008 2. Babe Ruth (708) and Lou Gehrig (348) total (1056) at the end of the 1934 season and 3. Barry Bonds (762) and Ryan Klesko (278) total (1040) at the end of 2007. So if combined they hit 37 home runs this season they would be second all time. By the way they would smash the Braves record held by Hank Aaron (442) and Eddie Matthews (493) total (935) at the end of the 1966 season.

rtgthree
02-14-2009, 06:15 PM
David O'Brien chimes in:

Frank Wren just acknowledged to me that the Braves are interested in Griffey.
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2009/02/12/whats-a-fair-offer-for-glavine/

rtgthree
02-14-2009, 06:22 PM
EDIT: A poster over on the AJC blog just ran some numbers.

Griffey 2006-2008 vs. RHP: .284/.378/.508
Diaz 2006-2008 vs. LHP: .328/.356/.512

I'll be a monkey's uncle if you couldn't put those two together and have a helluva left fielder.

bravesfan22193
02-14-2009, 06:30 PM
His average is not good but just like those that defended swisher would say in his case the OBP is actually pretty solid. a .350 OBP or better with close to 20 homers in a platoon role is pretty good. the defense will be pretty bad though

GLASSMAN
02-14-2009, 06:43 PM
A healthy Jr. could be a nice add. Hopefully his fresh knees will give him a little more range. I believe his defensive shortcomings are related to is bad wheels. I wonder what kind of shape he's in body wise. ...weight etc.

TomahawkChopper
02-14-2009, 06:44 PM
David O'Brien chimes in:

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2009/02/12/whats-a-fair-offer-for-glavine/

good to know Wren is admitting to the interest might signify a strong pursuit. But DOB really has to come up with a better system to relay that information that posting it in the middle of hundreds of user comments to an article that says Griffey wouldnt make sense for us lol

baseballs14d
02-14-2009, 06:44 PM
So what could you expect from a Griffey/Diaz combo?

Based on the last 2 years stats Griffey vs RH and Diaz vs LH (and yes games played is a consideration)

Griffey/Diaz = AVG .303 HR 26 RBIs 82 OBP .384 SLG .523 OPS .907

WOW! sign me up for this!

rtgthree
02-14-2009, 06:45 PM
So what could you expect from a Griffey/Diaz combo?

Based on the last 2 years stats Griffey vs RH and Diaz vs LH (and yes games played is a consideration)

Griffey/Diaz = AVG .303 HR 26 RBIs 82 OBP .384 SLG .523 OPS .907

WOW! sign me up for this!

And how exactly did you calculate that???

baseballs14d
02-14-2009, 06:48 PM
give me a few mins and ill explain it

hawksd911
02-14-2009, 06:48 PM
i like this idea.

Saltyfan
02-14-2009, 06:50 PM
The average is definately a stretch, I would imagine the HR's would be in the low 20's also.

rtgthree
02-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Other news outlets are picking this up now.

John Hickey of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer believes that the Braves have "a solid offer on the table for Griffey that the outfielder is considering." He also believes Griffey's situation will be resolved in the next 48 hours.

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/archives/162045.asp?from=blog_last3

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says the Braves seek "a left-handed hitting outfielder, preferably one who can platoon with Matt Diaz in left and also play center on occasion." I'm on board with the platoon part, but let's hope the Braves don't get it in their head that Griffey can still play center field. It's been many years since he was a viable CF. That's glass you break only in case of emergency.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9220882/Sources:-Braves-join-Mariners-in-Griffey-pursuit

baseballs14d
02-14-2009, 06:55 PM
like i said this is averages of the past 2 seasons just to get an idea. Avg isnt a strech Diaz hits for such a high average against lefties that it brings Griffeys up out of the 4 average years only griffey last year was below .300 with .272 the others were .319(MD 2008), .356(MD 2007), and .300(KGJ 2007).

TomahawkChopper
02-14-2009, 07:02 PM
I doubt its decided in 48 hours as Griffey is playing in the Pebble Beach Pro-Am and unless his group doesnt make the cut (which from what I heard they will) wont be over until Sunday so he probablly wont start discussing it with his agent seriously until then. I would say Tuesday would be the very earliest that anything gets done.

baseballs14d
02-14-2009, 07:17 PM
http://pro.corbis.com/images/BE053981.jpg?size=67&uid=%7B22DCDFBB-D694-47D5-9FF2-B1728B509460%7D

braves30/30
02-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Nice picture. He look good in braves uniform

jbizzie10
02-14-2009, 07:27 PM
i really exspected to see griffy go to the AL and dh the rest of his career but i think he could help us alot this year! get him frank!

bravefan4life
02-14-2009, 09:23 PM
He should help put fans in the stands as well which keeps the owners happy and our payroll the same

BRAVE KID
02-14-2009, 09:33 PM
I was just about to disregard this idea, until I saw that he is willing to platoon with Diaz. Only other thing that concerns me is that he fragile, but I like it. Man imagine the bench in pressure situations, cox could go with either Norton or griffey if the situation is right. Good depth

Saltyfan
02-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Imagine facing RH pitchers.

Anderson/Schafer LH
Yunel- RH
Chipper-LH
McCann-LH
Jr-LH
Francour-RH
Johnson-LH
Kotchman-LH

I like the thought of the platoon in LF, Doesn't help against the lefties like (Santana, Hamels, Moyer, etc)

rtgthree
02-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Updates keep streaming in, from good ol' DOB:

Apparently Terence Moore talked to a close friend of Griffey's who said that Atlanta is absolutely Griffey's first choice:

Terry Moore talked to a friend of Griffeys today, and Atlanta is his first choice. he really wants to play for the Braves. has a daughter on an Atlanta AAU team and a son whos playing high school football this year in Orlando, and Griffey doesnt want to be on the other side of the country at Seattle. Plus, hes always wanted to play for Bobby Cox.

The kicker, though: he says, "If I had to bet, Id say this gets done early next week."

O'Brien has sounded confident about deals before, only to find out maybe they aren't so close as he thought. But still, it seems as though Griffey and the Braves are a pretty clear match, and it does look like a deal could get done in short order.

CrippledRam
02-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Please lord keep him out of CF! LF Only.

BravesBillsFan
02-14-2009, 11:52 PM
By the numbers

Griffey vs. RHP the last 3 seasons:

2006: 281 AB/18 HR/43 RBI/15 2B/30 BB/51 Ks/.278/.346/.523/.869
2007: 337 AB/21 HR/65 RBI/18 2B/61 BB/62 Ks/.300/.402/.540/.942
2008: 327 AB/14 HR/48 RBI/18 2B/57 BB/50 Ks/.272/.379/.462/.841

3 Year Avg: 315 AB/18 HR/52 RBI/17 2B/49 BB/54 Ks/.283/.376/.508/.884

howiend
02-14-2009, 11:57 PM
I like this a lot. Get Griffey and keep Glavine - Braves at least have some old favorites to root for.

soobahk40050
02-15-2009, 12:07 AM
One thing that might be a big plug for Griffey is a possibility of playing DH.

I know the braves are NL, i'm not stupid, but are numbers in interleague play have stunk. a good solid DH this year would be great (think about the possibilities of seeing Griffrey match up for the Braves versus Smoltz).

Brave New World
02-15-2009, 12:21 AM
i posted awhile ago bout bringing griffrey in and platooning with diaz and many disagreed and a lot were against the idea, how funny how so many are finally opening up to the idea. of course he is not the griffrey of old but that is not what we are asking for. keep him fresh while platooning and help out younger guys like schafer, blanco, anderson, jones, ect. great attidude and he is out to prove he is healthy and has some gas left in the tank. we sign him cheap, do not give up any prospects, may b even an option once heyward is ready and then sign glavine and call it an offseason. go braves!!!!!!

flea
02-15-2009, 12:30 AM
As good as our lineup could be I still have my reservations. The only known in the batting order is Chipper at 3rd, and that's only for 130 games at the very best.

Kelly and Yunel weren't spectacular leading off, and it's clear that Kelly prefers hitting later in the order. Yunel is a good 2 but you can't put him there permanently if our CFer (Anderson, Schafer, Blanco, FA) doesn't perform. I could very well envision a Yunel-Kotchman-Chipper 1-3.

We have 3 potential clean-up hitters in McCann, Griffey, and Francoeur but that doesn't necessarily mean we have a legit clean-up guy. McCann only plays 140 games per year if healthy, Griffey is old, and Jeff is full of question marks. Who the hell knows, Kotchman could outplay all three of them and become our 4 hitter. The point is there isn't a lot of identity there. There is youth and promise but no certainties outside of Chipper and McCann producing. I'm a bit worried about our offense finding its identity.

Born a Brave
02-15-2009, 02:41 AM
Well, Im not sure he is that big OF bat we went in the offseason trying to find, but I will admit if we sign Jr. I'll be one of the first to buy a Griffey Braves jersey...

THE_FLASH_21
02-15-2009, 03:48 AM
IMO Andruw over Jr.

I love Ken.. One of mt Fav. players. He's not even close to what he was before. He's 39 and injury prone... Jones on the other hand is just fat.. Andruw will put up way more HRS then Griffey "Quote me if u want" He's been with us forever, and is just 30.

Big mistake in not offering AJ a contract... younger, cheaper and will bounce back imo.

THE_FLASH_21
02-15-2009, 03:50 AM
As good as our lineup could be I still have my reservations. The only known in the batting order is Chipper at 3rd, and that's only for 130 games at the very best.

Kelly and Yunel weren't spectacular leading off, and it's clear that Kelly prefers hitting later in the order. Yunel is a good 2 but you can't put him there permanently if our CFer (Anderson, Schafer, Blanco, FA) doesn't perform. I could very well envision a Yunel-Kotchman-Chipper 1-3.

We have 3 potential clean-up hitters in McCann, Griffey, and Francoeur but that doesn't necessarily mean we have a legit clean-up guy. McCann only plays 140 games per year if healthy, Griffey is old, and Jeff is full of question marks. Who the hell knows, Kotchman could outplay all three of them and become our 4 hitter. The point is there isn't a lot of identity there. There is youth and promise but no certainties outside of Chipper and McCann producing. I'm a bit worried about our offense finding its identity.

I'm with u. We were spoiled with Texy for a year. I really want Bmacc being our number 4 hitter.

GLASSMAN
02-15-2009, 08:12 AM
By the numbers

Griffey vs. RHP the last 3 seasons:

2006: 281 AB/18 HR/43 RBI/15 2B/30 BB/51 Ks/.278/.346/.523/.869
2007: 337 AB/21 HR/65 RBI/18 2B/61 BB/62 Ks/.300/.402/.540/.942
2008: 327 AB/14 HR/48 RBI/18 2B/57 BB/50 Ks/.272/.379/.462/.841

3 Year Avg: 315 AB/18 HR/52 RBI/17 2B/49 BB/54 Ks/.283/.376/.508/.884

We would have killed for those types of numbers last year. Hell, He would have probably had quite few more RBI with the way we put men on base.... and stranded them. I think he would fit nicely in the 5 or 6 hole.

That said, I think that the Mariners may still have some say in this. We've been played a couple of times this winter. Don't want to make that mistake again.

rtgthree
02-15-2009, 01:32 PM
John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus has a column up this morning where he suggests pretty strongly that the Yankees will wind up trading either Xavier Nady or Nick Swisher, and that the Nationals will also make a move to release some of their excess outfield depth. There just aren't that many teams that need outfielders these days, and I can just see those two teams jettisoning an outfielder for a pretty low price.

As much as I am liking the Griffey idea, I begin to wonder if signing him now is indeed the best solution. Would we rather bring in Griffey now or wait a couple weeks and try to trade for a Swisher or a Josh Willingham? Tough to call.

i posted awhile ago bout bringing griffrey in and platooning with diaz and many disagreed and a lot were against the idea, how funny how so many are finally opening up to the idea.

I'll be the first to admit that my mind has changed on this issue. I always overlooked Matt Diaz and the possibility of a straight platoon. Platoons usually occur because the team lacks the talent to have a proper starter, but in this case the Braves would truly have two really good hitters that just happen to struggle hitting same-siders. This, as I have realized, is the rare case where a platoon actually has the possibility to be just as effective (if not more effective) than a "regular" everyday player.

I'm a bit worried about our offense finding its identity.

There's some concern about this, since players do like to get comfortable hitting in a certain spot in the order, and since the Braves really don't have a true "leadoff" hitter or a true "cleanup" hitter. But you just have to gather as much talent as you can, and then hope that the "identity" part works itself out. I do think that hitters are going to have to be very flexible, hitting all over the place in the order. With Griffey and Diaz (potentially) switching out, plus the two best hitters (Chipper and B-Mac) missing significant time, the lineup is going to be extremely fluid, and the hitters will have to be professional enough to deal with that.

IMO Andruw over Jr.

I've been a vocal proponent of the mistake that was made in not bringing back Andruw Jones, but this is ridiculous. Bringing Andruw back is wishing on a star that he can hit again. Bringing Griffey in is just counting on him doing what he's been doing, year in and year out, since the mid-90s. There's really no comparison here.

CrippledRam
02-15-2009, 01:49 PM
I brought up Matty long ago =].

A_Brave_Pack
02-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I guess my only concern (and please correct me if I am wrong) with signing Griffey to platoon in LF with Diaz is, where does that leave our roster?

Rotation:
SP Lowe
SP Vazquez
SP Jurjjens
SP Kawakami
SP Glavine

Bullpen:
CL Gonzalez
SU Soriano
MR Logan
MR Boyer
MR Carlyle
MR Moylan
LR Campillo

Starting Lineup:
1B Kotchman
2B Johnson
SS Escobar
3B Jones
C McCann
RF Francoeur
CF Anderson
LF Diaz

Bench:
IF Infante
IF Prado
OF Griffey
OF Norton
C Ross

^^^That's the best way I can determine our 25-man roster. No Schafer, no Blanco, no Bennett, no Stockman, no room for a trade (Swisher, Nady, etc.)

CrippledRam
02-15-2009, 02:24 PM
That's assuming Anderson wins the CF job. I'm putting my money on Schaefer to win the job in ST but not collect his spot until a week or so into April (Longoria-style, it gets us an extra year of him). He just seems hungry.

rtgthree
02-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I guess my only concern (and please correct me if I am wrong) with signing Griffey to platoon in LF with Diaz is, where does that leave our roster?

Only comment is that Griffey should be listed as the "starting" left fielder, and Diaz should be on the bench. Griffey will play a lot more often than Diaz, since the Braves will face more right-handed pitchers than lefties. I'd also put Gregor Blanco as the starting center fielder...he's just flat-out better than Josh Anderson. Anderson's lack of options notwithstanding, the Braves need to be putting the best talent on the field, and that means starting Gregor Blanco.

Schafer ought to be sent back for some more seasoning in the International League, Bennett is pretty redundant with Carlyle and Campillo already in the 'pen (and he can always go back to Gwinnett), and Stockman may get his shot if Moylan isn't ready for Opening Day. As for having room for a trade...you're right. This 25-man roster isn't very fluid, and there's little wiggle room for the Braves to make adjustments during spring training.

A_Brave_Pack
02-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Personally, I think that would be a waste. Anderson is out of options, he has no where to go. There is zero chance a leadoff type player like Anderson passes back through waivers.

Small sample but:

Career MLB: 61G .316/.354/.419 11SB 2CS

Career MILB: 723G .294/.340/.378 280SB 69SB (80%!!!)

The Braves haven't made the playoffs since the days of Nixon/Sanders/Lofton/Furcal. I think Anderson is of that same mold and could make a HUGE difference in our lineup. More so than Schafer could. Again, that is just my opinion. I realize Anderson's OPB is fairly low, but I still think he is our best 'in-house' option.

rtgthree
02-15-2009, 02:38 PM
^^^I think that would be a waste. Anderson is out of options, he has no where to go. There is zero chance a leadoff type player like Anderson passes back through waivers.

Small sample but:

Career MLB: 61G .316/.354/.419 11SB 2CS

Career MILB: 723G .294/.340/.378 280SB 69SB (80%!!!)

The Braves haven't made the playoffs since the days of Nixon/Sanders/Lofton/Furcal. I think Anderson is of that same mold and could make a HUGE difference in our lineup. More so than Schafer could. Again, that is just my opinion. I realize Anderson's OPB is fairly low, but I still think he is our best 'in-house' option.

Putting Anderson and his .320-.330 OBP in the leadoff slot would be pure folly. Anderson could be traded for a low-level prospect, much like the Yates-for-Redmond swap last spring. Gregor Blanco is far and away the best choice. Putting his .360-.370 OBP up there would be a lot more similar to Otis Nixon or Kenny Lofton than Josh Anderson would be.

vtgriff09
02-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I wasn't too eager on Griffey a couple of weeks ago. Now that the Braves have really stepped it up to get him, and I think there is NO DOUBT that Griffey is going to be a Brave (same as Burnett deal, wants to be closer to home....Daughter in Georgia, family in Florida, I think that Griffey will fit in well. He makes since as a temporary solution for 1 or 2 years. Fact is, we have all sorts of young talented guys that are 1 to 2 yrs from being ready for a call up.....Griffey should give you 25-35 hrs....that's better than what we have now. I think that Griffey would be an excellent 5 hole hitter behind chip and mccann. He's a good outfielder, that used to be great and is a major step up from most fa outfielders (and trade possibilities). I'm on boat with this move, i feel like it's almost a certainty......and it's a good move to try and win now with the pitchers we signed (and most of their ages), not to mention that we owe it to make a last push with guys like chipper at winning. This may be the last couple yrs of chip being great, and it's a gamble worth taking.

vtgriff09
02-15-2009, 02:40 PM
I agree that Blanco is the better move for leadoff too......Griffey can play a little bit of cf if neccessary. I like Blanco and then Schaefer over Anderson......I wouldn't release anderson though.....he won't clear waivers.

vtgriff09
02-15-2009, 02:45 PM
and Blanco started to show real flashes of being really good towards the end of last year. Blanco just has that "IT" quality too......he just is so athletic that he makes it look easy. Watching Blanco and Anderson both play 50 plus games in person over the past 2 years, there is no doubt in the world that just by the simple eye test that Blanco is far and away the better player. I think Blanco could be a great leadoff with a lineup like such:

Blanco CF
Yunel SS
Chip 3b
McCann C
Griffey LF
KJ 2B
Kotchman 1b
Frenchy RF I would bat Frenchy 5 vs Lefties and 8 vs righties Diaz would pick
up that 7 hole with lefties, putting kotchman 8

BRAVE KID
02-15-2009, 03:27 PM
and Blanco started to show real flashes of being really good towards the end of last year. Blanco just has that "IT" quality too......he just is so athletic that he makes it look easy. Watching Blanco and Anderson both play 50 plus games in person over the past 2 years, there is no doubt in the world that just by the simple eye test that Blanco is far and away the better player. I think Blanco could be a great leadoff with a lineup like such:

Blanco CF
Yunel SS
Chip 3b
McCann C
Griffey LF
KJ 2B
Kotchman 1b
Frenchy RF I would bat Frenchy 5 vs Lefties and 8 vs righties Diaz would pick
up that 7 hole with lefties, putting kotchman 8

and Blanco started to show real flashes of being really good towards the end of last year. Blanco just has that "IT" quality too......he just is so athletic that he makes it look easy. Actually towards the end of last year he was really bad.

Sept stats- .212/.316/.273. I am not sure about his athleticism, I would still give that edge to Anderson, but I'll take his D over Anderson.

Jon93405
02-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Actually towards the end of last year he was really bad.

Sept stats- .212/.316/.273. I am not sure about his athleticism, I would still give that edge to Anderson, but I'll take his D over Anderson.

The thing about Blanco though, is even though he hit .212 in September, he still had a .316 OBP, showing that when, like any player will, he struggles, he doesn't let that get in the way of his ability to get on base.

baseballs14d
02-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Speaking of the platoon with Diaz have you guys seen him this year tremendous difference in weight he looks like a totally different player.

Here he is in 2008
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/Braves_Love/BravesvsMarlins9-18-07.10.jpg

And now in 2009 http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/01/70/60/slideshow_960701_bravespix.0216_18.JPG

Again in 2009 http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/01/67/60/slideshow_960671_b3.jpg

BRAVE KID
02-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Speaking of the platoon with Diaz have you guys seen him this year tremendous difference in weight he looks like a totally different player.

Here he is in 2008
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/Braves_Love/BravesvsMarlins9-18-07.10.jpg

And now in 2009 http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/01/70/60/slideshow_960701_bravespix.0216_18.JPG

Again in 2009 http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/01/67/60/slideshow_960671_b3.jpg
Impressive, DOB was right he looks like a completely different person. looks good.

BRAVE KID
02-15-2009, 05:23 PM
The thing about Blanco though, is even though he hit .212 in September, he still had a .316 OBP, showing that when, like any player will, he struggles, he doesn't let that get in the way of his ability to get on base.that is true but that OBP isn't as impressive as the previous month in which he only hit .207 but had a .387 OBP, meaning in sept. he truly had the worst month on his career and a .316 OBP isn't that much of an offset even if he is struggling. say if he had .330 OBP then it would more impressive

hawksd911
02-15-2009, 07:43 PM
This year it seems a couple ofbraves got really skinny.

Coach100
02-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Maybe Nutra-system is going to have an Atlanta Braves commercial soon......

rtgthree
02-15-2009, 09:01 PM
From Mark Bowman of MLB.com:

It's believed the Braves are willing to offer Griffey a one-year deal worth up to $1.5 million.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090215&content_id=3832630&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

That's not a lot of money. At all.

NickSC07
02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Seattle now after that lowball offer.

BRAVE KID
02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Found this in DOB blog, DOB didn't say it but a poster came up with this. Not sure how credible the source is but here it is

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/archives/162075.asp

BRAVE KID
02-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Ken Rosenthal apparently buys that source

Mariners or Braves? Braves or Mariners? Ken Griffey Jr. could make a decision on his future as soon as Monday and according to one source, it "could go either way."

The Braves emerged as a potential alternative for Griffey over the weekend -- and apparently they're an attractive one.

Griffey, 39, has spoken with Braves general manager Frank Wren, but the talks are "fluid, still developing," another source says.

Griffey's agent, Brian Goldberg, did not return a phone call seeking comment.

The Braves are trying to sign a left-handed hitting outfielder, preferably one who can platoon with Matt Diaz in left and also play center on occasion.http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9220882/Sources:-Braves-join-Mariners-in-Griffey-pursuit

bravefan4life
02-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Seattle will offer more than that. I was thinking that we would be offering at least four million. If we are trying to defer Glavine's money, and we are offering Griffey where is the other 3-5 million that we should have.

hawksd911
02-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Maybe Nutra-system is going to have an Atlanta Braves commercial soon......

that stuff taste like **** my mom use to have that stuff and now she feeds it to the dogs.

A_Brave_Pack
02-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. Rumors:
By Nat Boyle -- MLBTR

'Another interesting note from Mark Bowman:

"About a week ago, [Nick] Swisher seemed to be at the top of the wish list. But that was before Griffey called the Braves and campaigned for the opportunity to play for Atlanta. "

As more and more information pours out, it really sounds like Junior wants to, and is going to, end up with the Braves.'

^^^Really? Griffey called up the Braves? Excellent. Maybe he will take that discounted price, then.

BRAVE KID
02-15-2009, 11:27 PM
that is kind of well ...awesome. A hall of famer campaigning for us to sign him, more often than not it is the other way around, he may very well accept that supposed deal.

A_Brave_Pack
02-15-2009, 11:30 PM
My guess is that the Braves offered him $1.5mil with all the intentions in the world to go as 'high' as $2.5mil. That initial offer was probably just to show that the Braves are interested in his services.

weebs
02-15-2009, 11:35 PM
If the offer is under $3 mill I can't see him signing in Atlanta. Seattle can beat that with the increased revenue he'll bring.

BRAVE KID
02-15-2009, 11:44 PM
If the offer is under $3 mill I can't see him signing in Atlanta. Seattle can beat that with the increased revenue he'll bring.
well that may be so, but does he want to play there? according to the source brave pack has it seems he would like to play here a little more.

hawksd911
02-16-2009, 12:03 AM
and seattle already said they dont want to get into a bidding war

THE_FLASH_21
02-16-2009, 12:21 AM
John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus has a column up this morning where he suggests pretty strongly that the Yankees will wind up trading either Xavier Nady or Nick Swisher, and that the Nationals will also make a move to release some of their excess outfield depth. There just aren't that many teams that need outfielders these days, and I can just see those two teams jettisoning an outfielder for a pretty low price.

As much as I am liking the Griffey idea, I begin to wonder if signing him now is indeed the best solution. Would we rather bring in Griffey now or wait a couple weeks and try to trade for a Swisher or a Josh Willingham? Tough to call.

I'll be the first to admit that my mind has changed on this issue. I always overlooked Matt Diaz and the possibility of a straight platoon. Platoons usually occur because the team lacks the talent to have a proper starter, but in this case the Braves would truly have two really good hitters that just happen to struggle hitting same-siders. This, as I have realized, is the rare case where a platoon actually has the possibility to be just as effective (if not more effective) than a "regular" everyday player.

There's some concern about this, since players do like to get comfortable hitting in a certain spot in the order, and since the Braves really don't have a true "leadoff" hitter or a true "cleanup" hitter. But you just have to gather as much talent as you can, and then hope that the "identity" part works itself out. I do think that hitters are going to have to be very flexible, hitting all over the place in the order. With Griffey and Diaz (potentially) switching out, plus the two best hitters (Chipper and B-Mac) missing significant time, the lineup is going to be extremely fluid, and the hitters will have to be professional enough to deal with that.

I've been a vocal proponent of the mistake that was made in not bringing back Andruw Jones, but this is ridiculous. Bringing Andruw back is wishing on a star that he can hit again. Bringing Griffey in is just counting on him doing what he's been doing, year in and year out, since the mid-90s. There's really no comparison here.

But he's always hurt... He's not the same.. I don't get what ur trying to say!

rtgthree
02-16-2009, 12:43 AM
It really sounds to me like money is no factor here for Griffey. God knows he's made plenty already, so it doesn't surprise me a bit that he'd take a discount to be closer to home and play for Bobby Cox (and for a team that actually has a shot at the playoffs). It's almost unheard-of for a player to CALL a team and declare his interest...I can't think of a worse way to destroy your own leverage. From the sounds of things, the Mariners would have to offer a significantly bigger sum than the Braves (perhaps triple?). I was getting on board for Griffey at $3-4 million, but at $1.5 million plus a small incentives package, it gets even more difficult to make a case against.

But he's always hurt... He's not the same.. I don't get what ur trying to say!

I discount his injury risk. The Braves faced left-handed starting pitchers 54 times last year; that only leaves 108 games where the Braves will need Griffey to start. We're just asking him to do what he's been doing the past few years...play 110-120 games, mash right-handed pitching. His assignment is quite straightforward. With Andruw, you've got to hope his performance bounces back, and that's just a massive question mark.

Jon93405
02-16-2009, 01:35 AM
$2 million for Griffey is an amazing deal. How many extra tickets will he sell? How many Griffey jerseys will the Braves sell? There are a ton of Griffey fans who have Mariners, Reds and White Sox Griffey jerseys that will feel obligated to "finish their collection."

He could make half his salary back in extra sales.

.272/.379/.462 vs. righties for less than $3 million.... is quite a deal.

Also... 9th inning, down by a run... 2 outs and Lidge or K-Rod on the mound with a runner on... bringing Griffey off the bench for some game ending heroics will be fun to watch.

BoundByAxioms
02-16-2009, 01:38 AM
You guys don't deserve Griffey...he didn't resurrect baseball in Atlanta like he did in Seattle. :mad:

A_Brave_Pack
02-16-2009, 02:04 AM
^^^There really is something to be said about that. Griffey did do a lot to polarize the fan base in Seattle, but the Mariners let the Kid go in 2000 (?) to sign with the Reds. Why not let him finish his career near his home, so that he can watch his kids play as well?

BoundByAxioms
02-16-2009, 02:10 AM
No we traded him to the Reds upon his demand: for Griffey we received Mike Cameron and Brett Tomko (and two other players I think). I think it would only make sense (both emotional [for Mariner fans] and baseball-wise). The emotional aspect for Seattle fans is obvious, but baseball-wise is pretty obvious too. Obviously the guy should not be over-extending himself by playing in the outfield. As a DH in the AL, he could focus on hitting and put up some healthy numbers (hopefully). I mean, his home is an hour's plane ride away, but Seattle gave him the best baseball years of his career, and he pretty explicitly stated in an interview after the Reds visited Seattle in June 2007 that he would like to end his career back in Seattle, where he was EXTREMELY well received (I know because I was there).

A_Brave_Pack
02-16-2009, 02:30 AM
^^^My bad on the mix-up with Griffey. You make really valid points. I thought it would be really cool to see Griffey back in Seattle to end his career... that is until the Braves became interested. I will be disappointed if Griffey doesn't sign with the Braves, but I could understand if he resigns with Seattle.

homestarunner93
02-16-2009, 02:48 AM
If Griffey signs with Atlanta, I'll definetly be looking to make the three hour trip from my house to Turner Field. He's an awesome player, and one of the few guys I can say I suspect to be clean.

weebs
02-16-2009, 04:21 AM
well that may be so, but does he want to play there? according to the source brave pack has it seems he would like to play here a little more.

The source is fishy at best. We'll see tomorrow. I still think he ends up in Seattle.

BravoFan3736
02-16-2009, 05:36 AM
It looks like we are going to get Griffey and if that is for 1.5Mil that is going to be STEAL! What he will offer in production against RH and the revenue that he will create in merchandise and ticket sales this season would be worth this signing if could stay on the field for 90+ games. Than if Glavine signs with 1Mil and 3-4 incentives deferred that should leaves us with 3 Mil or so to have some flexibility at the trading deadline.

Even maybe entertain an idea signing Ohman\Bemiel and turning around and trading a BP arm or two for a decent MI prospect. But probably will sit on the cash to use it later if griffey doesn't pan out for another Lfer...

Griffey will add alot of leadership in club house and if his repaired knee holds up for 90+ games I think we could see similar production of 06' against RH. I just hope cox doesn't over use griffey to much to increase the chances to injury.

We will see...

It's believed the Braves are willing to offer Griffey a one-year deal worth up to $1.5 million. The veteran outfielder has long expressed a desire to play for Cox and he's geographically intrigued by the fact that Atlanta is just a one-hour flight from his family's Orlando residence.

"I think they have interest in us," said Cox, who has memories of the dominance Griffey displayed while playing for Cincinnati Moeller High School.

Mark Bowman / MLB.com

rtgthree
02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
The source is fishy at best. We'll see tomorrow. I still think he ends up in Seattle.

I'm not sure I would characterize Mark Bowman as a "fishy source." He writes for MLB.com.

hawksd911
02-16-2009, 12:26 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/ken-griffey-j-3.html

looks like he might sign today.

Jon93405
02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
If we get Griffey for somewhere in the vicinity of $1.5 million... Raul Ibanez should buy his agent a house for getting him that 3 year deal at over $10 million per year as a 36 year old.

ugafan
02-16-2009, 01:06 PM
You guys don't deserve Griffey...he didn't resurrect baseball in Atlanta like he did in Seattle. :mad:

How can you say we don't deserve Griffey?

A lot of our fans are fair-weather when it comes to attending games(I attended more Cubs games last year than Braves games :hide:, but I still watched the majority of games on TV).

We need him, and I've seen multiple statuses on Facebook saying that if we sign Griffey, they would buy season tickets. Even some Braves fans don't realize how big this signing can potentially be, not only his production being an upgrade, but maybe even a boost to next year's salary.

It's not often we can see a legend of the game play, and Griffey and Chipper on the same field.

Even homestarrunner said he would drive 3 hours to see the game, and he hates Atlanta sports(at least the Falcons).

This can be huge.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I can truly say I would love to see Griffey in a braves uniform, he wanted to be here a long time. I think even at this stage in his career he we be a very valuable asset in a platoon roll with Diaz. I remember watching the home run derby back in the early 90's where he literally hit a ball over the warehouse in Camden Yards. This man has been the real deal for a long time and if he is anywhere near 100% he should do very well here. I hope this deal gets done soon so we can ease or pain in search for a Left Fielder.
He is one of the only players(other than Chipper) of the 90's steroid era that I would truly say did it natural , other players(I will not say names) had to juice just to try and be as good as he was in his prime. Go and get him Wren!! I think if we get him Josh Anderson should hand over number 24 out of respect if Jr wants it.

ugafan
02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I can truly say I would love to see Griffey in a braves uniform, he wanted to be here a long time. I think even at this stage in his career he we be a very valuable asset in a platoon roll with Diaz. I remember watching the home run derby back in the early 90's where he literally hit a ball over the warehouse in Camden Yards. This man has been the real deal for a long time and if he is anywhere near 100% he should do very well here. I hope this deal gets done soon so we can ease or pain in search for a Left Fielder.
He is one of the only players(other than Chipper) of the 90's steroid era that I would truly say did it natural , other players(I will not say names) had to juice just to try and be as good as he was in his prime. Go and get him Wren!! I think if we get him Josh Anderson should hand over number 24 out of respect if Jr wants it.

Jr. wears 3 :confused:

baseballs14d
02-16-2009, 02:14 PM
now this may sound crazy but what if Griffey wasn't instead of Nick Swisher but along with Nick Swisher. Think about this we have 6-8MM to spend.

1. Sign Griffey Jr 1yr/1.5
2. Sign Glavine 1yr/6MM (5M deferred for 5 seasons)
3. Trade for Nick Swisher 5.3M

Total 7.3MM may be a long shot but its within our budget and man all of a sudden our line up looks real good!

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Jr. wears 3 :confused:

Yea Now but he use to wear 24 and I think it would be cool to see him don his old number, maybe its just me but my favorite years were his Mariners Years, when there was talk of him coming to the Braves before he was a Red he said he would want to wear 24, and just an FYI. in 2008 he was number 17.

History:
24 - Seattle Mariners, 1989-1999
30 - Cincinnati Reds, 2000-2006 (also his father's old number when he was with the Reds)
3 - Cincinnati Reds, 2007-2008 (in honor of his 3 children)
42 - Seattle Mariners, April 15, 1997 and Cincinnati Reds, April 15, 2007 and 2008 (in honor of Jackie Robinson)
17 - Chicago White Sox, 2008

Too Big!!
02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
now this may sound crazy but what if Griffey wasn't instead of Nick Swisher but along with Nick Swisher. Think about this we have 6-8MM to spend.

Total 7.3MM may be a long shot but its within our budget and man all of a sudden our line up looks real good!

or get ohman

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 02:23 PM

If that is what we have available to us we would definitely be putting out an awesome starting 9 or a regular basis, but I keep thinking its going to be Schafer, he also reported to camp early so I imagine he is trying to get in as much work as possible, but i imagine if we did get Swisher he could wait another season. I guess it just depends on the Evil Empire.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 02:35 PM
or get ohman

I would rather get Swisher Glavine and Jr. any day over Ohman. Logan and O'flathery will do his job nicely.

weebs
02-16-2009, 02:36 PM
It's funny seeing you guys talk like this because Mariners fans don't buy for one second that the Braves are going to get Junior, especially for that little. I kind of think he'll choose Atlanta, but I'm not in the majority.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 02:47 PM
It's funny seeing you guys talk like this because Mariners fans don't buy for one second that the Braves are going to get Junior, especially for that little. I kind of think he'll choose Atlanta, but I'm not in the majority.

Atlanta is 1 hour from Orlando and I believe thats the main reason we get him that and Cox/Chipper. The local news interviewed him here in Orlando and he did say that it would be good to be near his family. I will tell you this if he does not end up a Brave the only other place I want to see him go is back to Seattle.

GLASSMAN
02-16-2009, 02:51 PM

Ultimately it will be Jr's decision but we're in need of a bat and hope springs eternal. I believe that the Braves fans would love him as much or more than the Mariners fans so he'll lose nothing on that front but I imagine the Mariners front office could make it a moot point by a sizable offer. We'll see.

Too Big!!
02-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I would rather get Swisher Glavine and Jr. any day over Ohman. Logan and O'flathery will do his job nicely.

ehh i doubt the braves try to trade for swisher if we get griffey. Plus ohman would cost a couple mil less.

baseballislife7
02-16-2009, 02:58 PM
After we sign Griffey and Glavine we need to be finished making deals. Let everyone else fight out the remaining positions that remain and save what ever money we have for next year. We make this deal and I believe we already have the wild card team maybe even NL East Champs.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree with you about Swisher its going to more than likely be either Jr or Swisher, this is what I said to baseballs14d about what he said about the OF situation. My comment to you was primarialy about even trying to get Ohman at this point. There is really no need for him since we got the 2 Lefty relievers.

If that is what we have available to us we would definitely be putting out an awesome starting 9 or a regular basis, but I keep thinking its going to be Schafer, he also reported to camp early so I imagine he is trying to get in as much work as possible, but i imagine if we did get Swisher he could wait another season. I guess it just depends on the Evil Empire.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 03:11 PM
After we sign Griffey and Glavine we need to be finished making deals. Let everyone else fight out the remaining positions that remain and save what ever money we have for next year. We make this deal and I believe we already have the wild card team maybe even NL East Champs.

I could not agree more, we will definitely contend. I think once we get Glave and Jr thats it, lets be done and see who wins the CF spot.

Chipper
02-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Griffey Jr. will be a Brave for a few reasons:

1. Mariners only want him back because he can bring in more revenue and the fact he started his career there.

2. He has son playing high school basketball in Atl. His home is in Orlando. 'Nuff said.

3. Mariners only have $1.5M to spend. Braves are offering up $2.5M in incentives. In this economy, he gets and saves more money by not having to fly back and forth all the time.

4. He WANTS the Braves to sign him. He called us, not the other way around.

5. His dad played for us. :) Like father like son.

Yeah, he'll be a Brave, probably by tonight ;) . I may be cocky by saying that, but I am 100% sure he will be.

MattColby
02-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Ultimately it will be Jr's decision but we're in need of a bat and hope springs eternal. I believe that the Braves fans would love him as much or more than the Mariners fans so he'll lose nothing on that front but I imagine the Mariners front office could make it a moot point by a sizable offer. We'll see.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Do you know what Ken Griffey, Jr. has done for the city of Seattle? If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have a baseball team, or safeco. You have no idea what it was like going to the games when he returned as a Red. There is no way in hell that Griffey will ever mean as much to Atlanta fans as M's fans. Sorry!

MattColby
02-16-2009, 03:17 PM

Are you drunk?

uncblue2332
02-16-2009, 03:19 PM
well its all but official according to mlbtraderumors.com Jr Griffey will decide either today or early tomorrow at the latest

let me be the first to welcome Griffey into the Braves family

Good Luck

weebs
02-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Griffey Jr. will be a Brave for a few reasons:

1. Mariners only want him back because he can bring in more revenue and the fact he started his career there.

2. He has son playing high school basketball in Atl. His home is in Orlando. 'Nuff said.

3. Mariners only have $1.5M to spend. Braves are offering up $2.5M in incentives. In this economy, he gets and saves more money by not having to fly back and forth all the time.

4. He WANTS the Braves to sign him. He called us, not the other way around.

5. His dad played for us. :) Like father like son.

Yeah, he'll be a Brave, probably by tonight ;) . I may be cocky by saying that, but I am 100% sure he will be.

Yeah....I don't know where you've got your sources but the Mariners can offer over 1.5 mill, especially because of the extra revenue Griffey will bring in. They've got more than that to offer.

Fly back and forth all the time? How exactly is he going to have time to do that during the season? You're talking one trip, the all-star break, and maybe one other time on an east coast road trip. It's not like he's going to be able to take day trips from Atlanta to Orlando in the middle of June.

His dad played for the Mariners too.

You can be cocky if you want, but most of your reasons are bunk.

MattColby
02-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah....I don't know where you've got your sources but the Mariners can offer over 1.5 mill, especially because of the extra revenue Griffey will bring in. They've got more than that to offer.

Fly back and forth all the time? How exactly is he going to have time to do that during the season? You're talking one trip, the all-star break, and maybe one other time on an east coast road trip. It's not like he's going to be able to take day trips from Atlanta to Orlando in the middle of June.

I was just about to say the same thing. Wanted to go check some sources to make sure I wasn't missing something. Do some research before you just start throwing things out there.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 03:28 PM
My oh my people are getting a tad feisty on here, we will see where he goes tomorrow so lets be civilized. In the meantime I do have a question for both Braves and Mariners fans alike. What jersey number would you like to see him wear (on your respective team of course)?

Oh and BTW:Weebs I love your sign.

MattColby
02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
My oh my people are getting a tad feisty on here, we will see where he goes tomorrow so lets be civilized. In the meantime I do have a question for both Braves and Mariners fans alike. What jersey number would you like to see him wear (on your respective team of course)?

Oh and BTW:Weebs I love your sign.

Not being feisty, just stating facts. I would love to see him back in the #24.

baseballs14d
02-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Jayson Stark ESPN:
For years now, Ken Griffey Jr. has been sending signals -- some subtle, some not so subtle -- that he'd love to be a Brave.

The Braves got those signals, of course. It would have been tough to miss them. But the timing was never right. Or the fit wasn't right. Or, especially, the dollars in Junior's paycheck weren't right.

But now, all of a sudden, "the stars seem like they're finally lining up" to make this marriage happen, according to a source who has spoken with Braves management

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=3909252

baseballs14d
02-16-2009, 03:44 PM
ESPN INsider:
MLB.com reported that about a week ago, Nick Swisher seemed to be at the top of the Braves wish list, but that was before Ken Griffey called and campaigned for the opportunity to play for Atlanta.
The website reported that he Braves have clearly moved Griffey to the top of their wish list. The ability to get him for $1.2 million is much more appealing than the prospect of waiting to see if the Yankees will deal Swisher with the agreement to assume a portion of his remaining contract.
Swisher has over $22 million remaining in the final three years of his contract.

If he is calling us to play here im sorry Mariner fans this is where he prefers to be no matter how much it hurts you.

GLASSMAN
02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE]Yeah....I don't know where you've got your sources but the Mariners can offer over 1.5 mill, especially because of the extra revenue Griffey will bring in. They've got more than that to offer.

If I were Griffey I'd ask why wait till now to make the offer. If he was as critical to the team as you say he'd be signed by now.

Atlanta has a modern airport as does Orlando. Less than an hour one way. As a parent/husband that could be important. I'm sure he has access to a private jet.

Give you that one. Call it a push.

Its not cocky if you can back it up...We'll know the answer to that shortly.[QUOTE]

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Not being feisty, just stating facts. I would love to see him back in the #24.

Thats the number I want to see him in as well, BTW the feisty comment I was referring to was the are you drunk comment, about the chances the Braves have to win the division. The Braves rotation right now is better than allot of teams in the league if we can add a healthy Glavine it will be the most solid rotation in the NL East so what he is saying is not that far fetched. Pitching wins plain and simple. If the Braves were able to get Griffey well that just solidifies his theory. I also just read something from a Seattle columnist saying Jr if signed by Seattle would be used as a Dh only against right handed pitchers. Even last year he only Dh'ed 13 total games. We all know he loves playing defense so IMO I think that will also be a deciding factor in his decision.

Coach100
02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
First, Jr is baseballin Seattle. Always will be, always should be. You say Mariners and I still think of Jr, Buner, Martinez, and young A-Rod. That was 10 years ago, but I still think of that. (And I am a Braves fan) Jr is the Mariners icon. He would be a good addition and surely a fan favorite. But Chipper is ATL's icon, not Jr.

As for money: I don't know and I don't care. At this point I don't think it is about money. Jr wants to win and I think ATL offers a better chance than Seattle. Maybe not, but I think so. Mariners probably won't win the division over the Angels and and probably won't get the wildcard over whoever is 2nd in the AL East or AL Central. ATL only needs to be 2nd in thier division and beat the 2nd team in the NL Central. That seems at least plausible and I am sure Jr knows if ATL adds him, they get closer to achieving that.

I will always think of Jr as a Mariner...always. If he signed with SEA, I wish him all the best and I will take my kids to see his stuff at Cooperstown. But I don't think this is an easy call either way. Jr has a tough decision (family and a better chance to win or money and returning "home") and I don't think any of us can assuredly say what he would pick.

A_Brave_Pack
02-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Not to beat a dead horse but:

Griffey to Decide Between M's and Braves by Tuesday

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2008748184_griffey16.html

In this article it claims that the Braves have about $2.5mil to spend on Griffey, and that the M's have "roughly $1.5 million of budget room left but could stretch that to accommodate a Griffey deal, given the added revenue he could generate in ticket and merchandising sales."

My thinking is that the Braves may be willing to push some extra cash to Griffey as well given the circumstances.

All of this sounds good for the Braves... Then again I have said this before during the off-season and been terribly terribly wrong. :)

rtgthree
02-16-2009, 03:58 PM

I don't know that we have $6-8 million to spend; it may be closer to $5 million total. I really think Nick Swisher is far out of reach if/when the Braves sign Griffey and Glavine.

It's not homerism at all, really. I would have said he'd go back to Seattle absolutely, but when we read reports that he called the Braves to "campaign" for the chance to play in Atlanta, it's tough to see how he'd choose Seattle. Maybe he was just using the Braves to gain some leverage with the M's, but the Mariners can't offer him THAT much more in the way of money (Atlanta's package is reportedly worth $2.5 million total), but is it really worth an extra $1 million or so for him to be that far away from his family? Maybe, but when I consider how much he's made in his career, I sort of doubt it.

That's not true. For one thing, his daughter plays on an AAU basketball team out of Norcross, GA (just outside of Atlanta). So when her team plays "home" games, he won't have to fly anywhere. And believe me, if the Braves have a home game Sunday afternoon and Monday off to travel (which happens fairly often), he can hop down to Orlando for Sunday night, be there all Monday, and then fly Tuesday morning to wherever the Braves are playing. Even beyond that, his family can come up to Atlanta; they can see two games if they fly up Saturday morning and head home after a Sunday afternoon game. Trust me, those three thousand miles make a HUGE difference.

THE_FLASH_21
02-16-2009, 04:03 PM
No we traded him to the Reds upon his demand: for Griffey we received Mike Cameron and Brett Tomko (and two other players I think). I think it would only make sense (both emotional [for Mariner fans] and baseball-wise). The emotional aspect for Seattle fans is obvious, but baseball-wise is pretty obvious too. Obviously the guy should not be over-extending himself by playing in the outfield. As a DH in the AL, he could focus on hitting and put up some healthy numbers (hopefully). I mean, his home is an hour's plane ride away, but Seattle gave him the best baseball years of his career, and he pretty explicitly stated in an interview after the Reds visited Seattle in June 2007 that he would like to end his career back in Seattle, where he was EXTREMELY well received (I know because I was there).

Who cares... Look what happen with Glavy, Smoltz, Maddux, Justice..... No one is crying like u are... If he wanted to go to Seattle he would of gone already... We have a better chance at the playoffs then the M's do.....

MattColby
02-16-2009, 04:04 PM
I just asked if he was drunk, because to think you guys are gonna beat out both NYM and PHI. is just crazy. Griffey isn't going to put you over the top by any means. He's injury prone, and that is why I feel he should be DHing. The way that would have made most sense was G.A. in left for Atl. and Griffey in Sea at DH. The reason the Mariners waited so long on Jr. was because they had better options they were hoping to land. Z is basically trying to land him now because he is the best available option. Not because he will put butts in the seat, or increase revenue, although I'm sure that also helps his thinking. Who would you sign if you had the options of Dunn, Abreu, Griffey, G.Anderson, Edmonds, etc. Obviously the best choices are Dunn and Abreu, and after he could no longer bring them here, then the list was narrowed down to a very obvious choice. The M's fans aren't expecting Griffey to come in and win us a world series, or even make us that much better. He is the best available option right now. We were all hoping for Abreu or Dunn to start. The only thing that gets us down is we all kinda got excited about the Seattle Mariners icon coming back to town, and being able to watch him play in the Safe again. Not that we were gonna start tearing it up or anything.

Greeklegend
02-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Well it's been awhile since i posted on here because of the many dull topics covered, but this one caught my attention. I don't know where I saw it, (may have even been a comment, but I doubt it) that Jr. starts to get the deferred money from the Reds contract. I don't know how much it is, I'll try and find it and see if it's true. But that would explain why he is even talking to either teams when they are offering so little money to him. I bet the entire world would tell someone there were crazy if they said a team could have Jr. for under 3 mil a year. Very interesting thing going here and I'll be checking up on this every hour to see what has happened. But this is a very excited Braves fan if we land Jr. Just absolutely fantastic!

MattColby
02-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Well it's been awhile since i posted on here because of the many dull topics covered, but this one caught my attention. I don't know where I saw it, (may have even been a comment, but I doubt it) that Jr. starts to get the deferred money from the Reds contract. I don't know how much it is, I'll try and find it and see if it's true. But that would explain why he is even talking to either teams when they are offering so little money to him. I bet the entire world would tell someone there were crazy if they said a team could have Jr. for under 3 mil a year. Very interesting thing going here and I'll be checking up on this every hour to see what has happened. But this is a very excited Braves fan if we land Jr. Just absolutely fantastic!

I believe it is four mil. but could be wrong.

Greeklegend
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I just asked if he was drunk, because to think you guys are gonna beat out both NYM and PHI. is just crazy. Griffey isn't going to put you over the top by any means. He's injury prone, and that is why I feel he should be DHing. The way that would have made most sense was G.A. in left for Atl. and Griffey in Sea at DH. The reason the Mariners waited so long on Jr. was because they had better options they were hoping to land. Z is basically trying to land him now because he is the best available option. Not because he will put butts in the seat, or increase revenue, although I'm sure that also helps his thinking. Who would you sign if you had the options of Dunn, Abreu, Griffey, G.Anderson, Edmonds, etc. Obviously the best choices are Dunn and Abreu, and after he could no longer bring them here, then the list was narrowed down to a very obvious choice. The M's fans aren't expecting Griffey to come in and win us a world series, or even make us that much better. He is the best available option right now. We were all hoping for Abreu or Dunn to start. The only thing that gets us down is we all kinda got excited about the Seattle Mariners icon coming back to town, and being able to watch him play in the Safe again. Not that we were gonna start tearing it up or anything.

What makes you think that we can't beat those two teams? Off of what happened last year? I mean you do not know much about our team and you make a statement like that makes me wonder did you open up a bottle of jack daniels and got merry.

Greeklegend
02-16-2009, 04:10 PM
I believe it is four mil. but could be wrong.

Who's offering more than the Braves 2.5m? How much money do the M's really have?

baseballs14d
02-16-2009, 04:14 PM
What makes you think that we can't beat those two teams? Off of what happened last year? I mean you do not know much about our team and you make a statement like that makes me wonder did you open up a bottle of jack daniels and got merry.

I think most people see 92 losses last year and think we have no chance no matter who we sign.

Greeklegend
02-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Yea I guess, but people need to remember WHY we lost 92 games. I could go into for the trillionth time, but true Braves fans and people who know something about our team know why we lost that many games. If we were on all cylinders last year, I'm not going to say we would have won, but it would of definitely came down to the last game between the 3 teams. That I believe.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I think most people see 92 losses last year and think we have no chance no matter who we sign.

and they do not realize that we were absolutely decimated by injuries, not to mention we pretty much will have a new core to the pitching staff. I guess people do not realize the potential we have, or they are just pissed at our unmatched playoff run.

MattColby
02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Who's offering more than the Braves 2.5m? How much money do the M's really have?

I meant 4 mil of deferred money. I just think you are crazy to believe you have a shot at the division when you guys don't have half the teams Philly and NYM have.

GLASSMAN
02-16-2009, 04:21 PM

I think Matt's referring to the deferred money.:shrug:

weebs
02-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Hahaha Atlanta fans, chill. I'm not getting pissy or anything else you're accusing. I'm just questioning sources and "facts" that were posted.

Greeklegend
02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I meant 4 mil of deferred money. I just think you are crazy to believe you have a shot at the division when you guys don't have half the teams Philly and NYM have.

Well everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I have to say if you're going by paper, then yea we do not have the players that those two teams have. But I have seen, papers lie sometimes, and the way we have always beat the Mets I'm not worried about them, especially how our team is shaping up. I think it's going to be a 3 team race and it's going to be close til the end. And if it comes down to that and Huddy proves healthy, believe that he's going to contribute in some type of way. But you're entitled to your opinion and we're entitled to ours.

Greeklegend
02-16-2009, 04:29 PM
I think Matt's referring to the deferred money.:shrug:

Oh. Well that's the area I have no clue about, so I'll take yall's word for it. Under 4 mil it is then.

NickSC07
02-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Last I looked, we did have a winning record against the Mets last season. :)

MattColby
02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Well everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I have to say if you're going by paper, then yea we do not have the players that those two teams have. But I have seen, papers lie sometimes, and the way we have always beat the Mets I'm not worried about them, especially how our team is shaping up. I think it's going to be a 3 team race and it's going to be close til the end. And if it comes down to that and Huddy proves healthy, believe that he's going to contribute in some type of way. But you're entitled to your opinion and we're entitled to ours.

You should have seen are team on paper last spring. Everyone had us to win the division. Look at how close they were to that call. I just feel like you guys have a lot of question marks, and injury prone players that are going to make it hard for you. I'm not trying to be a dick, and say your team is ****. There is just a lot of if's that'll have to happen for you guys to win the division. Will Hudson ever stay healthy for a full year? Chipper always seems to have something hobble him up, he is the man though. Jeff Francouer? Can he bounce back? A lot of unproven players also. Like the Derek Lowe signing though. Who knows! Just an opinion.

BoundByAxioms
02-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Who cares... Look what happen with Glavy, Smoltz, Maddux, Justice..... No one is crying like u are... If he wanted to go to Seattle he would of gone already... We have a better chance at the playoffs then the M's do.....

Who said I was crying? My eyes are dry, brother. I could just as easily say that if he wanted to go to Atlanta he would have gone already. If Griffey signs with Atlanta, I will have further reason not to return to the city that I already hate. You guys would be better off with Randy Winn.

MattColby
02-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Last I looked, we did have a winning record against the Mets last season. :)

Does that really matter? Did you finish ahead of them in the standings?

rtgthree
02-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Look, dude, starting pitching wins in the MLB. Right now, the Mets' official depth chart lists Mike Pelfrey as their #2 starter. The Phillies are Hamels, Moyer, and "staff." Our bullpen is right up there with either of those teams too, what with Gonzalez, Soriano and Moylan all set to return full strength.

We don't have the offenses that either of those teams have, but with Griffey in the fold, the only true position of weakness will be right field. In all phases of the roster, the Braves lack the Phillies' or Mets' starpower. But the Braves have a slew of players that are reliable and consistent, so call me in June when the Phils are realizing that Jamie Moyer and Joe Blanton aren't what you'd call "midrotation starters" and the Mets are running Livan Hernandez out there every fifth day.

rtgthree
02-16-2009, 04:40 PM
A lot of unproven players also. Like the Derek Lowe signing though. Who knows! Just an opinion.

If you classify Derek Lowe as an "unproven player," I don't know what to do for you. The man has pitched 200 innings a year with a mid-threes ERA like clockwork for the last four years. What more "proof" do you need?

braves30/30
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Mets fans talking trash in the mlb forum: Nl east 2009 predictions.
I will like someone go there. I like how rtgthree writing and explain
thints. I can't due cuz, i don't wno how writ english.

NickSC07
02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Dont argue with him; he's just in here to thread crap and cry about Griffey wanting to come to ATL.

baseballs14d
02-16-2009, 04:43 PM

Half the teams the Phillies and Mets have? Seriously dude did you just say that? I would really like to see you back up that arguement with some fact other than just you opinion.

#1. 1-5 Atlanta by far has the best pitching staff in the National League East.

#2 Last year our pitching staff was decimated by injuries.

Opening day Rotation

1. Tim Hudson 22 games
2. John Smoltz 6 games
3. Tom Glavine 13 games
4. Mike Hampton 13 games
5. Jair Jurrjens 31 games

Our Original starting 5 only pitched half of our seasons games.

Now with our new rotation you have to consider it against last years rotation of Jurrjens, Reyes, Morton, Campillo, and Parr.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
You should have seen are team on paper last spring. Everyone had us to win the division. Look at how close they were to that call. I just feel like you guys have a lot of question marks, and injury prone players that are going to make it hard for you. I'm not trying to be a dick, and say your team is ****. There is just a lot of if's that'll have to happen for you guys to win the division. Will Hudson ever stay healthy for a full year? Chipper always seems to have something hobble him up, he is the man though. Jeff Francouer? Can he bounce back? A lot of unproven players also. Like the Derek Lowe signing though. Who knows! Just an opinion.

Here is more than an opinion Matt here is a fact:
One Run games decided the NL East

W L W%
Phills 27 23 .540
Muts 16 19 .457
Braves 11 30 .268

The Braves could not win the 1 run games, our pitching woes and lack of hitting kept us from winning. Our bullpen is healthy and our rotation is far better than last year. This is one of the reasons we know we will compete this year.

MattColby
02-16-2009, 05:10 PM
If you classify Derek Lowe as an "unproven player," I don't know what to do for you. The man has pitched 200 innings a year with a mid-threes ERA like clockwork for the last four years. What more "proof" do you need?

I'm not calling Derek Lowe unproven bro, i said I like the signing.

I've yet to see anyone predict you guys to even come close to first. You guys are sure getting fired up over this. It is funny to me how you think that the Phillies are just crap. They did win the W.S. and now you are just going to take the crown from them? That easy. The Mets also have Johan, Oliver Perez, and John Maine. I think Pelfrey is more like a four on this team. One good season for him doesn't say much. He is only 25 though. I know you guys were injured last year, and that could play a big role in your teams success this year, rather your players stay healthy or not. We'll see, I just think you are gonna be in for a let down. One of the two are probably gonna beat you guys out, if not both.

GLASSMAN
02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Not a good idea to put too much stock in the "experts" predictions. You guys know a little about that. We've had a tough couple of years but it hasn't beat us down. We know how to win which is the most important ingredient to begin with. All due respect to the Phils and Muts but our records going into the year will be the same. Let's play'em out then we'll talk.

However, if you need solid source predictions or observations this link will be of interest to you.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2009/02/16/bradleys-buzz-buzzin-about-the-2009-braves/

A_Brave_Pack
02-16-2009, 05:42 PM
I think Griffey's bat in our lineup will make it more formidable, if only in name alone. When the 3-4-5 hitters in the lineup are Griffey-Jones-McCann, that just plain sounds sweet. I'll be tuned into my phone, waiting/hoping to hear confirmation of Griffey signing here in the next few hours...

BRAVE KID
02-16-2009, 07:05 PM
It's funny seeing you guys talk like this because Mariners fans don't buy for one second that the Braves are going to get Junior, especially for that little. I kind of think he'll choose Atlanta, but I'm not in the majority.How funny is it, tell me? I mean if a guy goes out of his way to call the braves and Chipper Jones , I would think it is very possible, I don't see the humorous part in that. all I see is the majority of mariners fans upset b/c griffey might choose the braves.

Are you drunk?No he isn't, it is a possiblity the braves can win and Griffey can very well help us.

Hahaha Atlanta fans, chill. I'm not getting pissy or anything else you're accusing. I'm just questioning sources and "facts" that were posted.You come in here and make a rude impression and you're telling us to chill?

I've yet to see anyone predict you guys to even come close to first. You guys are sure getting fired up over this. It is funny to me how you think that the Phillies are just crap. They did win the W.S. and now you are just going to take the crown from them? That easy. The Mets also have Johan, Oliver Perez, and John Maine. I think Pelfrey is more like a four on this team. One good season for him doesn't say much. He is only 25 though. I know you guys were injured last year, and that could play a big role in your teams success this year, rather your players stay healthy or not. We'll see, I just think you are gonna be in for a let down. One of the two are probably gonna beat you guys out, if not both.Humm phillies are crap, I don't believe I have seen a statement saying exactly that. Why wouldn't we get excited? We have a chance to get a hall of famer, that can STILL produce, stats make it pretty clear he can pound righties and drive in runs, him along with Diaz at left would make a nice combo.

None of us are saying we will win the NLE, we are saying we have the possiblity to win, and with griffey it would increase our chances, but you just seem to ignore the possiblity and look at records and see the bigger teams and automatically deem us to be non contenders. We have a shot.

BRAVE KID
02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
That wasnt Griffeys bag in the clubhouse (it was Nortons, as we said above), but Im told that Griffey was on the Disney premises today to meet with Wren.

No decision yet, but Id be we have one by tomorrow.http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2009/02/16/a-griffey-sighting-at-braves-campwhe/

BRAVE KID
02-16-2009, 07:16 PM
5:01pm: According to MLB.com's Mark Bowman, Griffey met with Braves GM Frank Wren on Monday and talks are rapidly progressing.

Wren is scheduled to meet with Griffey's agent, Brian Goldberg, on Tuesday and in the hours that follow, the veteran outfielder will likely announce whether he'll be playing for the Braves or Mariners this year, writes Bowman.mlbtr

Brave4life
02-16-2009, 07:29 PM
I never knew that KG jr dad played with the braves, maybe that is also a reason he wants to go to the braves, but most of all he wants one more chance to win. The mariners dont look like contenders this year but braves have potential to be a world series team.

I underlined potential so no one would be mistaken.

MattColby
02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
How funny is it, tell me? I mean if a guy goes out of his way to call the braves and Chipper Jones , I would think it is very possible, I don't see the humorous part in that. all I see is the majority of mariners fans upset b/c griffey might choose the braves.

No he isn't, it is a possiblity the braves can win and Griffey can very well help us.

You come in here and make a rude impression and you're telling us to chill?

Humm phillies are crap, I don't believe I have seen a statement saying exactly that. Why wouldn't we get excited? We have a chance to get a hall of famer, that can STILL produce, stats make it pretty clear he can pound righties and drive in runs, him along with Diaz at left would make a nice combo.

None of us are saying we will win the NLE, we are saying we have the possiblity to win, and with griffey it would increase our chances, but you just seem to ignore the possiblity and look at records and see the bigger teams and automatically deem us to be non contenders. We have a shot.

Sure you have a shot. That is the great thing about the game, is you never know what will happen. I was giving my opinion on the NLE. There is a possibility, I just said you guys need a few things to go your way. The one guy was talking down the other two teams like they were gonna be easy to beat. I was just saying that there not as bad as he makes them out to be. I also just feel that Griffey would be better suited as a DH, whether it be on the M's or not. It will raise his chances higher than they already are of getting injured again to put him in the field. You guys already have your fair share of injury prone guys, and adding one more to the mix is just raising your chances of another one of the guys you are counting on going down. Griffey, Chipper, and McCann does sure sound like a strong 3-5 though.

sNaKeS
02-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Why is everyone talking about our hitting so much? The hitting was pretty good last year, our pitching was awful. Wren made some good additions to the team this offseason and this team has a shot at winning the division this year. I understand the braves don't have that true #1 guy but this is probably the best or 2nd best pitching staff in the division pending on if any of our key pitchers don't get hurt.

BRAVE KID
02-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Why is everyone talking about our hitting so much? The hitting was pretty good last year, our pitching was awful. Wren made some good additions to the team this offseason and this team has a shot at winning the division this year. I understand the braves don't have that true #1 guy but this is probably the best or 2nd best pitching staff in the division pending on if any of our key pitchers don't get hurt.Hitting yes, getting on base yes, driving in those people we had on base..HELL NO. That is why we are talking about hitting, I believe the braves were in the top 10 in both OBP and BA, in the league but we horrible driving in those runs. Griffey with his ability to drive in runs would certainly help us, and I would hope he would stablize the lineup but..the lead-off spot is still in question.

We have depth that is a good thing,we had depth last year but it wasn't quality depth that we seem to have this year. Just b/c this team doesn't have a true ace every fan (primarily mets and phillies since both are the most ignorant) writes us off.

Chipper
02-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Wow... if that post by weeb wasn't rude, what was? I do have facts to back all of this up. rtg took care of my distance thing.

Now, about the $1.5M the Mariners have to spend, I was a tad wrong on that. They do have possibly more to spend on him. Notice the word possibly. They could stretch if they wanted to, but not much further. To stop you from questioning my sources, it came from MLB Trade Rumors, as did everything else did in that post weed, er weeb, my bad.

Yes, you are correct. Ken Griffey Sr. did play for the Mariners, didn't he? Last time I checked so did Jr. He's been there done that. Yes he has said he'd like to end his career with the Mariners, but when the player calls YOU and tries to get a deal worked out without you ASKING, yeah, I think he wants your team. He's always wanted to be a Brave, every single time he's hit the FA Market, he's looked to see if the Braves could accommodate him. Well, when you have Andruw blocking the chances of that happening, Chipper in LF for a few years and JD Drew/Gary Sheffield blocking the other OF spots, no way you can really squeeze in. Now he can.

Also, the Mariners have said they want to utilize him as a DH. Do you really think he'll go for it? Not saying he won't, but I still think he'd like to play in the field. THAT'S MY ONLY OPINION IN ANY OF THESE POSTS. Just thought you should know so I'm not accused of making any of this up.

rtgthree
02-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure how else I should have interpreted your post. You wrote: "A lot of unproven players also. Like the Derek Lowe signing..." That word "like" connects "Derek Lowe" to "unproven." I'm just reading what you write; I can't read your mind.

I've yet to see anyone predict you guys to even come close to first.
Baseball Prospectus pegs the Braves to tie the Phillies with 88 wins. Several of their writers have picked the Braves to be the Wild Card from the National League.

It is funny to me how you think that the Phillies are just crap. They did win the W.S. and now you are just going to take the crown from them? That easy.
Please quote where I said any of this. I said their rotation isn't that good; they still have an excellent bullpen and a killer lineup. I can't speak for anyone else, but I sure never said they are "just crap" and we're just going to walk in and make them look foolish. Same goes for the Mets...the boys in Queens are still a very, very good baseball team.

The ignorance in your comment is that the Braves "aren't half the team" that either of the others are. The Braves had a Pythagorean record last year of 79-83, and they've brought in on the order of 10 WARP in talent. That would put them right up in the mid- to high-80s in wins, which puts them squarely in contention.

The Braves aren't a "sexy" team, so they aren't going to get a lot of press in spring training. In ST, everyone's healthy and everyone that could POSSIBLY have a breakout looks intriguing. Heck, I did exactly this last year: I argued for the Braves assuming the health of Mike Hampton, John Smoltz and Tom Glavine. We'd have been pretty good had all those guys stayed on the field, but the chance of that happening was...what? One in a million? Expectations in March are always unrealistic on the part of fans...hope springs eternal, they say.

People will start picking the Braves come May and June when teams start to realize that maybe that guy isn't going to stay healthy for the first time in a decade or this guy isn't going to suddenly have his breakout year at age 26. When the Braves have all kinds of depth to cover for injuries or ineffectiveness and people start to see the value in having two guaranteed 200-inning horses at the front of the rotation. So are the Braves better than the Phillies or the Mets, on paper? No, because "paper" analysis doesn't give credit for consistency or durability or depth. Are the Braves the "team to beat"? Hell no. But they have a strength that neither the Mets nor Phillies possess, and that will keep them at least in striking distance if not over the top.

sNaKeS
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Hitting yes, getting on base yes, driving in those people we had on base..HELL NO. That is why we are talking about hitting, I believe the braves were in the top 10 in both OBP and BA, in the league but we horrible driving in those runs. Griffey with his ability to drive in runs would certainly help us, and I would hope he would stablize the lineup but..the lead-off spot is still in question.

We have depth that is a good thing,we had depth last year but it wasn't quality depth that we seem to have this year. Just b/c this team doesn't have a true ace every fan (primarily mets and phillies since both are the most ignorant) writes us off.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, personally I think vazquez is still a very good pitcher who can be a #1, but that's just my honest opinion and I don't care what anyone says about it. I hear ya with the lead off spot but that isn't necessarily the biggest problem unless the BA does go to hell cause it's not a big run producing spot. I'm also hoping that griffey, pending if he actually does sign with the braves, will still be healthy the way he has been the past few years cause when he is, he should be the clean up for this team cause he can still kill the ball and move jones to the #3 spot with that .350+ BA setting up griffey. And also with the depth in our pitching staff I gotta say that this team has the best depth perhaps in all of baseball with everybody clicking and staying away from our biggest flaw from last year of injuries. We'll finally see what a full and healthy lineup can do now that hampton is finally gone and if and when hudson gets healthy (and he DEFINITELY is a #1 pitcher) on this team. Either way even if we don't get griffey or glavine this team is gonna be pretty good this year and the league better not sleep on the braves.

Jon93405
02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure how else I should have interpreted your post. You wrote: "A lot of unproven players also. Like the Derek Lowe signing..." That word "like" connects "Derek Lowe" to "unproven." I'm just reading what you write; I can't read your mind.

He said:

Like the Derek Lowe signing though.

With the "though" at the end, he means to say, "I like the Derek Lowe signing though." The first time I read it I thought he was saying Derek Lowe is unproven, but he saying Lowe is an exception.

rtgthree
02-16-2009, 09:01 PM
With the "though" at the end, he means to say, "I like the Derek Lowe signing though." The first time I read it I thought he was saying Derek Lowe is unproven, but he saying Lowe is an exception.

Ah. That would be an important distinction. This is why grammar matters, people.

jmb8311
02-16-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm ahead of myself here but somebody mentioned in another thread that they thought this could help attendance and merchandise sale for the Braves and I agree. However, I started to wonder IF Griffey was to sign with the Braves what jersey number he'd wear. 30 is taken by Jeff Bennett and 24 by Josh Anderson (both of which could easily be bought out by JR), and 3 is of course retired for the 2nd greatest atlanta brave to ever put on a uniform. As a lifelong Braves fan, there have always been a few players that demanded admiration regardless of what team they're playing for, and Griffey is one of those guys. I remember getting goosebumps watching him bat behind Chipper in the Classic a few years back and am ecstatic about being able to see that on a regular basis.

rtgthree
02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
However, I started to wonder IF Griffey was to sign with the Braves what jersey number he'd wear. 30 is taken by Jeff Bennett and 24 by Josh Anderson (both of which could easily be bought out by JR), and 3 is of course retired for the 2nd greatest atlanta brave to ever put on a uniform.

If it's really a big deal for Griffey, we could just cut Anderson and Junior can have #24.

Bravefan29
02-16-2009, 10:27 PM
If it's really a big deal for Griffey, we could just cut Anderson and Junior can have #24.

I am sure Anderson would not mind giving a living legend his number if he wants it.:)

rtgthree
02-16-2009, 10:31 PM
I am sure Anderson would not mind giving a living legend his number if he wants it.:)

I was more looking for an excuse to get Josh Anderson out of Gregor Blanco's way. But on a realistic level, you're right. Young'uns like Anderson and Bennett would have no issues giving up their numbers to Ken Griffey Jr.

Ian.
02-16-2009, 11:32 PM
I lol'd pretty heavily when I saw the dude say the Braves have the best 1-5 rotation in the NL East. Are you being serious?

Ok, on a serious note, you guys can have Griffey if it means spending over a couple million. He won't make us into a cahmpionship team and he won't maje you guys either. I would not want to see Griffey in number 24 in Atlanta. Seattle yes.

For the record, I see him signing in Atlanta. I have no more input.

Brave4life
02-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Why is everyone talking about our hitting so much? The hitting was pretty good last year, our pitching was awful. Wren made some good additions to the team this offseason and this team has a shot at winning the division this year. I understand the braves don't have that true #1 guy but this is probably the best or 2nd best pitching staff in the division pending on if any of our key pitchers don't get hurt.

Hitting was good in some games we scored like 10 runs in a game then the next we score 2-3 we need to try to stay consistant and chipper really did help us with his bat

A_Brave_Pack
02-16-2009, 11:53 PM
I lol'd pretty heavily when I saw the dude say the Braves have the best 1-5 rotation in the NL East. Are you being serious?

Ok my man, back up your statement. Give me a better 1-5 rotation in the NL East:

Braves:
Lowe
Vazquez
Jurjjens
Kawakami
Glavine (Predicted)

Mets:
Santanta
Perez
Pelfrey
Maine
Vargas (??)

Phillies:
Hamels
Myers
Moyer
Blanton
Happ (??)

Marlins:
Nolasco
Johnson
Volstad
Sanchez
Miller

Nationals:
Olsen
Lannan
Cabrera
Perez (??)
Sosa (??)

Furthermore, account for each team losing two of their SP at some point during the season to injury. That being the case, I'd put myself on a limb and say that the Braves easily have the best 1-7 rotation in the NL East.

Counterpoint Ian?

BRAVE KID
02-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Ok my man, back up your statement. Give me a better 1-5 rotation in the NL East:

Braves:
Lowe
Vazquez
Jurjjens
Kawakami
Glavine (Predicted)

Mets:
Santanta
Perez
Pelfrey
Maine
Vargas (??)

Phillies:
Hamels
Myers
Moyer
Blanton
Happ (??)

Marlins:
Nolasco
Johnson
Volstad
Sanchez
Miller

Nationals:
Olsen
Lannan
Cabrera
Perez (??)
Sosa (??)

Furthermore, account for each team losing two of their SP at some point during the season to injury. That being the case, I'd put myself on a limb and say that the Braves easily have the best 1-7 rotation in the NL East.

Counterpoint Ian?just be prepared for the such and such has the better rotation b/c "I recognize the names" argument.

A_Brave_Pack
02-16-2009, 11:57 PM
^^^Thanks for the heads up BK.

Slash
02-17-2009, 01:52 AM
I was more looking for an excuse to get Josh Anderson out of Gregor Blanco's way. But on a realistic level, you're right. Young'uns like Anderson and Bennett would have no issues giving up their numbers to Ken Griffey Jr.

For a price. :) A player's number is always up for sale especially when it is an established player paying a low salary dude.

I would love to see Anderson as the starting CF.

I was originally against Griffey Jr., but if he doesn't mid platooning with Diaz, we could have a devastating LF batting machine AND two pinch hitting options when they are on the bench.

See, I can change my mind. :)

Jon93405
02-17-2009, 02:16 AM
A Dozen 1989 Griffey Upper Deck Rookie cards should be adequate payment to Josh Anderson.

A_Brave_Pack
02-17-2009, 02:55 AM
^^^I think a "Hey. I'm Ken Griffey Jr. and you are not." should suffice.

Griffey did don the #17 in Chicago, which is not currently being worn by any Brave.

GLASSMAN
02-17-2009, 07:42 AM
I think he wore 42 a couple of times in honor of Jackie Robinson. That would be cool with me.

GLASSMAN
02-17-2009, 07:48 AM
See, I can change my mind. :)

And you said therapy would be a waste of money.:cool:

Ian.
02-17-2009, 09:07 AM

Braves:
Lowe
Vazquez
Jurjjens
Kawakami
Glavine (Predicted)

Mets:
Santanta
Perez
Pelfrey
Maine
Vargas (??)

Counterpoint Ian?

Nats, marlins out of the question. Phillies SP aren't good enough either.

Lowe Vs. Johan:

I don't even need to put up stats. If you honestly think Lowe's comparable to Johan, you know nothing.

Vazquez Vs. Perez

I will give you Vazquez on this one. He should be your ace, but you don't seem to think so. If I compared him to Johan, there'd be the same results.

Jurrjens Vs. Pelfrey:

Jurrjens had a pretty poor second half of the season in 2008. 77 IP, 40 ER, 29 BB, 58 K, 4.66 ERA.

Pelfrey had a decent second half. Not GOOD, but decent. 92 IP, 39 ER, 21 BB, 46 K, 3.82 ERA.

You're comparing one pitcher who was solid for one half of the season while the other was fairly consistent over the course of the season. Sure, it could be part of the development, but Pelfrey is also developing. If Jurrjens can put together his first half numbers over the course of a full season, I'd easily say he's better, but he didn't. As of now, WASH.

Maine Vs. Kawakami:

If it turns out Kawakami is comparable to Dice-K, he's easily better. But what if he turns out like Kei Igawa? There's no way of telling right now, so you shouldn't be using him in an argument. I'd easily take the major leaguer over the rookie Japanese player.

Niese ? Vs. Glavine?

Glavine is not a for sure deal, Niese is not for sure (although I think he does start.) You can't argue for or against either since it's not set in stone. Therefore...WASH

I know I didn't give any stats really, but there are too many question marks for the Braves right now for me to consider them the better rotation. I found it so laughable that you are so sure the Braves have the best rotation in the NL East, when you've got a Japanese player and an open spot for your fifth starter. If Tommy Hanson comes in and starts, I give you the nod, but he's not named starter yet.

It's hard to judge whose got the better rotation before any have started competing for jobs in S/T. My LOL comment was made at your arrogance.

fatpat1116
02-17-2009, 09:54 AM
dont forget the mets also have Livan and Tim Redding

baseballislife7
02-17-2009, 10:16 AM
We should hope Livan wins the spot, we KILL Livan. Redding did pretty good last year until he started getting tired, or his luck ran out. Either way, neither of these pitchers scare you.

Slash
02-17-2009, 11:03 AM
A Dozen 1989 Griffey Upper Deck Rookie cards should be adequate payment to Josh Anderson.

That plus 20 to 40 grand will get him the number.

Slash
02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
We should hope Livan wins the spot, we KILL Livan.

When Gregg isn't there, sure.

baseballislife7
02-17-2009, 11:26 AM
I agree totally on the Gregg comment.

A_Brave_Pack
02-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Nats, marlins out of the question. Phillies SP aren't good enough either.

Agreed.

Lowe Vs. Johan:

I don't even need to put up stats. If you honestly think Lowe's comparable to Johan, you know nothing.

Well aware that Johan is a stud. I never claimed that I believed Lowe compared to Santana. My counterpoint is that Lowe is an incredibly consistent pitcher. He may give up 1-2 more runs in a given outing against Santana, but he will keep the Braves in the ballgame. Agreed completely that the Mets have the edge here. Braves 0 Mets 1

Vazquez Vs. Perez

I will give you Vazquez on this one. He should be your ace, but you don't seem to think so. If I compared him to Johan, there'd be the same results.

Glad we agree. Braves 1 Mets 1

Jurrjens Vs. Pelfrey:

Jurrjens had a pretty poor second half of the season in 2008. 77 IP, 40 ER, 29 BB, 58 K, 4.66 ERA.

Pelfrey had a decent second half. Not GOOD, but decent. 92 IP, 39 ER, 21 BB, 46 K, 3.82 ERA.

You're comparing one pitcher who was solid for one half of the season while the other was fairly consistent over the course of the season. Sure, it could be part of the development, but Pelfrey is also developing. If Jurrjens can put together his first half numbers over the course of a full season, I'd easily say he's better, but he didn't. As of now, WASH.

I understand your argument, I don't completely buy it, but I understand where you are coming from with it. That being said, Jurrjens suffered towards the end of the 2nd half last year due almost exclusively to the fact that he was the Braves only reliable pitcher who wasn't hurt. He had an increased workload and had his 22 year old arm stretched out to help prepare for this year. I'm probably biased here, but I think that Jurjjens has a slight edge against Pelfrey overall, due to a higher K/9 (JJ: 6.64, MP: 4.93) Even so, I will give you your push. Braves 1 Mets 1

Maine Vs. Kawakami:

If it turns out Kawakami is comparable to Dice-K, he's easily better. But what if he turns out like Kei Igawa? There's no way of telling right now, so you shouldn't be using him in an argument. I'd easily take the major leaguer over the rookie Japanese player.

Not sure I buy your argument here. Agreed, there is an unknown factor with Kawakami, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that Kawakami is some unproven talent looking to cut his teeth in the Bigs. Kawakami is a veteran with a record of 112-72 and a career 3.22ERA. Compared to John Maine's smaller sample size of 33-27 with a 4.18ERA. You make a decent argument by bringing up Igawa, but there have been plenty of Japanese pitchers since Igawa who have come into the US and been more than serviceable. Advantage Braves, but I'll be conservative and give it a half point. Braves 1.5 Mets 1

Niese ? Vs. Glavine?

Glavine is not a for sure deal, Niese is not for sure (although I think he does start.) You can't argue for or against either since it's not set in stone. Therefore...WASH

Glavine signing will be made official today, if you believe all the reports. Therefore, I think you can argue for/against this. Give me the 300-game winner with something to prove any day of the week. Advantage Braves, but again, I'll give it only half a point. Braves 2 Mets 1

I know I didn't give any stats really, but there are too many question marks for the Braves right now for me to consider them the better rotation.

Where are the question marks? Lowe and Vazquez have averaged nearly 200INN pitched over the last 5 years. Consistent. Jurrjens, yes may flame out, but I don't know that it is fair to say he will. Kawakami may be the next Kei Igawa, but not likely. Pencil in Glavine in the 5 slot in the rotation, and you know you are going to get consistent performances out of him, now that he is healthy.

I found it so laughable that you are so sure the Braves have the best rotation in the NL East, when you've got a Japanese player and an open spot for your fifth starter.

Show me one team in the MLB that would not be falling over themselves to find someone with the potential and proven track record Kawakami possess to be their 4th Starter. Also, show me one team that doesn't have an "open spot" for the 5th starter at this point.

If Tommy Hanson comes in and starts, I give you the nod, but he's not named starter yet.

That's just the point I was trying to make. The Braves have depth in their rotation. Assuming that during the course of the year that 2 starters for each team go down for a bit, who do the Mets have? Livan Hernandez and Tim Redding. Who can the Braves turn to? 10-game winner Jorge Campillo, top prospect Tommy Hanson, and a couple of serviceable (barely) younger guys in Charlie Morton, Jo-Jo Reyes, and James Parr.

I know the Mets have a better "# 1" in Sanatna, and you are right it would be "arrogant" for me to argue this point, and I probably would "know nothing" about the sport. However, I'll take two 1.5 guys in Lowe and Vazquez into a 3-game series and like my chances in most of those situations.

It's hard to judge whose got the better rotation before any have started competing for jobs in S/T. My LOL comment was made at your arrogance.

You tried to. I've tried to. I think we are both fairly intelligent. There is always the unknown factor in every ST and during the season, but to laugh at one team (or their fans) without really offering valid (statstical?) counterpoints is...well...arrogant.

A_Brave_Pack
02-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Braves Rumors: Griffey, Glavine
By Tim Dierkes -- MLBTR

MLB.com's Mark Bowman and The News Tribune's Larry LaRue both have a gut feeling that Ken Griffey Jr. will sign with the Braves soon. Atlanta is a better fit for Junior in all kinds of ways.

It's all speculative right now, but Bowman also wonders if the Braves will announce a Tom Glavine signing alongside Griffey tomorrow. His guess at the two players they'd remove from the 40-man: Anthony Lerew and Gregor Blanco. Ken Rosenthal wrote last night that the Braves were close to re-signing Glavine. David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution weighs in via the comments section of his blog:

The Glavine thing is a given at this point, folks. A done deal, save for crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s. Trust me on that one. And I’d say it’s highly likely that Griffey is going to be a Brave. Almost certain he’s going to choose Atlanta. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. But I’d put it at 90 percent or so that he’s picking the Braves.

^^^rtg is not going to be happy with Mark Bowman. Even I think Gregor Blanco deserves a spot on the 40 before Bueno and others...wow. Good news on both fronts though, all things considered.

ugafan
02-17-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm still sold more on Anderson more so than Blanco, but we'll see hoe they perform during the season.

baseballs14d
02-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Braves Rumors: Griffey, Glavine
By Tim Dierkes -- MLBTR

MLB.com's Mark Bowman and The News Tribune's Larry LaRue both have a gut feeling that Ken Griffey Jr. will sign with the Braves soon. Atlanta is a better fit for Junior in all kinds of ways.

It's all speculative right now, but Bowman also wonders if the Braves will announce a Tom Glavine signing alongside Griffey tomorrow. His guess at the two players they'd remove from the 40-man: Anthony Lerew and Gregor Blanco. Ken Rosenthal wrote last night that the Braves were close to re-signing Glavine. David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution weighs in via the comments section of his blog:

The Glavine thing is a given at this point, folks. A done deal, save for crossing the ts and dotting the is. Trust me on that one. And Id say its highly likely that Griffey is going to be a Brave. Almost certain hes going to choose Atlanta. If Im wrong, Im wrong. But Id put it at 90 percent or so that hes picking the Braves.

^^^rtg is not going to be happy with Mark Bowman. Even I think Gregor Blanco deserves a spot on the 40 before Bueno and others...wow. Good news on both fronts though, all things considered.

Bueno has already been removed from 40 man roster.

baseballs14d
02-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Personally I would have to send out Lerew and Ridgeway.

baseballislife7
02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
^ I totally agree with those two, unless there is something special they see with Ridgeway, what I saw last year wasn't anything special.

Ian.
02-17-2009, 12:41 PM
You tried to. I've tried to. I think we are both fairly intelligent. There is always the unknown factor in every ST and during the season, but to laugh at one team (or their fans) without really offering valid (statstical?) counterpoints is...well...arrogant.

Well, I just typed a large post comparing Igawa's Japan stats to Kawakamis (I know Igawa is younger with less mileage, but I figured that into it) and I lost my work. What I came up with were fairly similar stats. Igawa having many more BBs. Due to the fact that I'm at work and don't have time to research it all again, I will try to type it up again. That's not even really the point. I was just trying to say that you have no idea what Kawakami is going to do in Japan. Sure he had a high winning percentage, but with another 400 IP from Igawa, he could have had more Ks, more BBs, a small amount of ERs. So, it's not at all a reach that Kawakami could become Igawa. He could also become Dice-K.

My "arrogant" remark was because you seem so sure that a pitcher that fizzled out, a Japanese pitcher that hasn't pitched in the majors is better than a rotation of players that have pitched in the majors and have been mildly consistent.

I will easily give the upside nod to the Braves.

I've got nothing against the Braves, I'd actually like to see them overtake the NL East, but the logical part of me doesn't see it happening until the pitching is sorted out and becomes consistent.

No hard feelings, holmes.

uncblue2332
02-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Its official Ken Griffey Jr has come to an agreement with the atlanta braves according to DOB of the AJC http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/griffey-agrees.html

weebs
02-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Its official Ken Griffey Jr has come to an agreement with the atlanta braves according to DOB of the AJC http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/griffey-agrees.html
haha that is far from official. i would bet it ends up correct, but man the official tag gets thrown around WAY too much. it was official by M's beat writers that Griffey was an M last week./

A_Brave_Pack
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, I just typed a large post comparing Igawa's Japan stats to Kawakamis (I know Igawa is younger with less mileage, but I figured that into it) and I lost my work. What I came up with were fairly similar stats. Igawa having many more BBs. Due to the fact that I'm at work and don't have time to research it all again, I will try to type it up again. That's not even really the point. I was just trying to say that you have no idea what Kawakami is going to do in Japan. Sure he had a high winning percentage, but with another 400 IP from Igawa, he could have had more Ks, more BBs, a small amount of ERs. So, it's not at all a reach that Kawakami could become Igawa. He could also become Dice-K.

My "arrogant" remark was because you seem so sure that a pitcher that fizzled out, a Japanese pitcher that hasn't pitched in the majors is better than a rotation of players that have pitched in the majors and have been mildly consistent.

I will easily give the upside nod to the Braves.

I've got nothing against the Braves, I'd actually like to see them overtake the NL East, but the logical part of me doesn't see it happening until the pitching is sorted out and becomes consistent.

No hard feelings, holmes.

^^^Hey man. I'm with you. I have lost some postings here too. It's frustrating. You are right though, Igawa and Kawakami's stats are (eerily?) similar to each other.

I hope that I did not come off as trying to belittle or attack you. I actually really enjoy having intellegent discussions on this site. It is the main reason I joined PSD. I wish the Mariners all the best. They've always been my favorite West Coast team.

No hard feelings, bro.

GLASSMAN
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
haha that is far from official. i would bet it ends up correct, but man the official tag gets thrown around WAY too much. it was official by M's beat writers that Griffey was an M last week./

We've had our false positive this year already. :eyebrow:

A_Brave_Pack
02-17-2009, 01:02 PM
^^Oww...the pain. GLASSMAN you brought up two horrible horrible supressed memories...Peavy...Furcal...I think I am going to jump off a bridge... wait, we got Lowe and Griffey, I think I'll be okay.

baseballs14d
02-17-2009, 01:32 PM
From DOB

I’m told Griffey has already agreed to terms with Braves, though no announcement yet, and agent is supposed to meet with Wren again today to finalize things. Don’t know about a physical, whether he’s getting it now or what.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2009/02/16/a-griffey-sighting-at-braves-campwhe/

Chipper
02-17-2009, 02:22 PM
^^Oww...the pain. GLASSMAN you brought up two horrible horrible supressed memories...Peavy...Furcal...I think I am going to jump off a bridge... wait, we got Lowe and Griffey, I think I'll be okay.

Peavy and Furcal > Lowe and Griffey

Everyday. :p

THE_FLASH_21
02-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Who said I was crying? My eyes are dry, brother. I could just as easily say that if he wanted to go to Atlanta he would have gone already. If Griffey signs with Atlanta, I will have further reason not to return to the city that I already hate. You guys would be better off with Randy Winn.

OH NOOOO....Please don't hate Atlanta..:rolleyes:

Griffey is cheaper..... Can I say "Sour Grapes"????????:D

Greeklegend
02-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Hold on. Not so fast. This article states he hasn't made a decision yet and is still thinking. Still can go either way.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=atl

Says that the article was not accurate.......o no...deja vu all over again?????

BoundByAxioms
02-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow... if that post by weeb wasn't rude, what was? I do have facts to back all of this up. rtg took care of my distance thing.

Now, about the $1.5M the Mariners have to spend, I was a tad wrong on that. They do have possibly more to spend on him. Notice the word possibly. They could stretch if they wanted to, but not much further. To stop you from questioning my sources, it came from MLB Trade Rumors, as did everything else did in that post weed, er weeb, my bad.

Yes, you are correct. Ken Griffey Sr. did play for the Mariners, didn't he? Last time I checked so did Jr. He's been there done that. Yes he has said he'd like to end his career with the Mariners, but when the player calls YOU and tries to get a deal worked out without you ASKING, yeah, I think he wants your team. He's always wanted to be a Brave, every single time he's hit the FA Market, he's looked to see if the Braves could accommodate him. Well, when you have Andruw blocking the chances of that happening, Chipper in LF for a few years and JD Drew/Gary Sheffield blocking the other OF spots, no way you can really squeeze in. Now he can.

Also, the Mariners have said they want to utilize him as a DH. Do you really think he'll go for it? Not saying he won't, but I still think he'd like to play in the field. THAT'S MY ONLY OPINION IN ANY OF THESE POSTS. Just thought you should know so I'm not accused of making any of this up.

You totally just made all that up. I don't believe a parsec of what you said.

jmtapia
02-17-2009, 08:39 PM

True. But Peavy and Furcal were going to cost us at least $21 Million next year and even more going forth. Plus you have to include Yunel in a possible deal for Peavy so in that case the real scenerio would be whether Peavy and Furcal are better then Lowe/Griffey/Escobar??? To add we also need to add the other pieces that it would have taken to land Peavy: Morton, Boyer, Locke/CR, Gorkys or some combination.

So in terms of immediate results...sure maybe your right but in terms of baseball im pretty confident that Lowe and Griffey could prove to be more valuable additions then Peavy and Furcal would have.

Bravefan29
02-17-2009, 08:54 PM
You totally just made all that up. I don't believe a parsec of what you said.

Come on dude a parsec has nothing to do with this topic, if your going to use a word like that use it in the right context.

The parsec ("parallax of one arcsecond", symbol pc) is a unit of length, equal to just under 31 trillion kilometres (about 19 trillion miles), or about 3.26 light-years. The parsec is used in astronomy.

cntrft76
02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
^^ lol dropping knowledge!

Slash
02-18-2009, 01:22 AM

But that isn't a fair comparison.

Peavy + Furcal + more millions per year + loss of top prospects + loss of Yunel compared against Lowe + Griffey.

Given the current health history of Peavy and Furcal, I'd probably still pick Lowe + Griffey + Yunel.

BoundByAxioms
02-18-2009, 01:27 AM
Come on dude a parsec has nothing to do with this topic, if your going to use a word like that use it in the right context.

The parsec ("parallax of one arcsecond", symbol pc) is a unit of length, equal to just under 31 trillion kilometres (about 19 trillion miles), or about 3.26 light-years. The parsec is used in astronomy.

If you've seen Family Guy's Blue Harvest you'd have known that I was making a joke.

rileyjc1
02-18-2009, 02:01 AM
ima tell you guys if we can get griffey and glavine for the amount of money i am hearing, and them guys stay healthy for the season with the other guys we have gotten we are going to challenge big time in the nl east! i mean the phillies are still the front-runners w/pretty much the same squad except burrell. the mets are just a bunch of choke jobs, but did pick up a couple of pieces for the bullpen and washington and florida will probably challenge for last play and play spoiler the whole season! but w/that i think atlanta can and will make a good run and possibly reclaim our division crown!

Bravefan29
02-18-2009, 02:45 AM
If you've seen Family Guy's Blue Harvest you'd have known that I was making a joke.

Sorry I am a wound up astro-physics major:shrug:

BoundByAxioms
02-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Sorry I am a wound up astro-physics major:shrug:

Haha, no that's cool. I'm a wound up math major myself.