PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic must-read article: The No-Stats All-Star (Battier)

DenButsu
02-14-2009, 12:35 PM
This article is long - and very well worth reading in its entirety. I found it via truehoop (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-38-176/Moneyball-Comes-to-the-NBA--Literally.html). Just read the whole thing, it's really interesting, and I think everyone will appreciate the amazing basketball IQ of Battier, the work that NBA coaching staffs do, the importance of analysis in scouting opposing teams and the quirky idiocyncracies that some of the players offered as examples have. Great stuff.

The No-Stats All-Star (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?_r=2&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all)

astrosmaniac
02-14-2009, 12:38 PM
he is great, although watching him all year, this is pry his worst year since his rookie season

IndyRealist
02-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Best. Article. Ever.

jetsfan28
02-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Great article. I love Battier's game, and also love how they talked about the fact that he doesn't take half court shots, it just seems funny that THAT'S the one selfish thing he does. BTW, possibly my favorite quote from the article, that shows why the Spurs are the Spurs:

The San Antonio Spurs’ Manu Ginóbili is a statistical freak: he has no imbalance whatsoever in his game — there is no one way to play him that is better than another. He is equally efficient both off the dribble and off the pass, going left and right and from any spot on the floor.

astrosmaniac
02-14-2009, 02:09 PM
its so long, ive been reading for like 10-15 min and im still no done :cry:

but it is amazing

Faneik
02-14-2009, 02:15 PM
its so long, ive been reading for like 10-15 min and im still no done :cry:

but it is amazing

lol

I started reading it and I fall asleep.

The article isn't boring, I was really tired.

When I woke up I finished reading it.

meiklwhite
02-14-2009, 02:19 PM
wow. great read.

_Sn1P3r_
02-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Looong, but a great read.

Hellcrooner
02-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah Battier is unerapreciated because he isnt flashy, but he is definelty the Sf i wodl want on my team.

Missing56&33
02-14-2009, 05:13 PM
thats not an article its a book. lol but the title is right on I like Battier's game

Chronz
02-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I dont know how old this article is but at this point Battier's become overrated, yes stats were never his thing but the declining nature of them has hurt the Rockets this year. His defense is slipping, I dont blame that on his decline but just the fact that hes been hobbled all year with a nagging injury. I dont know why people continue to think hes undervalued when he was drafted in the lottery and given a very generous contract for someone who doesnt put up numbers, thus acknowledging his intangible worth.

Hes always been one of my favorite players, but Ive been very disappointed with him this year, well the Rockets in general have all been disappointing so he follows suit.

Still it looks like it has alot of tidbits so Ill read on.

DenButsu
02-14-2009, 08:56 PM
The author is an author (of books, I mean, not usually a newspaper columnist), so my guess would be that while the article was just published yesterday, the research that went into its writing was done a lot longer ago. But I could be wrong.

And the interesting thing about it is less making the case for Battier in particular (although that is impressive, too), but just the overall take on stats and analysis and how they're perceived and what they're useful for.

S2krollin
02-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Great story.

Wilson
02-14-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm slowly working my way though it whilst watching the all-star events, but I don't really like it. All it's telling me is what I already know: Shane Battier is a great defender and an unselfish guy.

It's no secret to anyone that Battier is going to do a better job on Kobe than Brent Barry, and it's no secret that if you force a right handed guy to go left, their chances of scoring goes down.

I already knew that box scores don't show how much a guy challenges a shot :shrug:

aloysius8
02-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Great article. I laughed when they quoted the guy saying whoever invented the boxscore should be shot. Really gives guys who aren't in the spotlight more credibility.

jetsfan28
02-14-2009, 10:56 PM
The author is an author (of books, I mean, not usually a newspaper columnist), so my guess would be that while the article was just published yesterday, the research that went into its writing was done a lot longer ago. But I could be wrong.

And the interesting thing about it is less making the case for Battier in particular (although that is impressive, too), but just the overall take on stats and analysis and how they're perceived and what they're useful for.

A very, very, very good author BTW

Wilson
02-14-2009, 11:02 PM
The stuff about what Battier did in high school was pretty interesting.