PDA

View Full Version : If you were the Blazers GM would you make a trade?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-14-2009, 04:49 AM
Well would you?

Majority of you know there situation. They are a very good team as it is, and there is no immediate need to "win now" so would you just sit on that roster for a few years and see who ''pans'' out?

Or would you use your many trade assets to your advantage?

abe_froman
02-14-2009, 04:51 AM
you can say yes or no flat out,then you would be a fool as a gm.it all denpends on what scenarios come up,taken on a case by case basis

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-14-2009, 05:00 AM
you can say yes or no flat out,then you would be a fool as a gm.it all denpends on what scenarios come up,taken on a case by case basis

That's what I am thinking.

I think they would have the best offer for RJ, Bosh, Amare,etc..

But is any of that worth giving up on there young guys when they are arguably good enough for the average age of there team?

abe_froman
02-14-2009, 05:08 AM

But is any of that worth giving up on there young guys when they are arguably good enough for the average age of there team?

depends what your giving up for each(treat each case separately),so again depends what the price tag for rj/bosh/amare would be

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-14-2009, 05:30 AM
depends what your giving up for each(treat each case separately),so again depends what the price tag for rj/bosh/amare would be

Yeah, you got to think Aldridge would be the center piece in the Amare/Bosh trades.

For the RJ trade Blazers could be giving up possibly Travis Outlaw.

blackjack_119
02-14-2009, 05:42 AM

If I were Portland, I would aggressive pursue a trade.

If Portland can acquire Bosh or Amar'e for a package that primarily consists of LaFrentz and Aldridge, I think that they have to go for it. Aldridge has the potential to be good, but Bosh and Amar'e are both already perennial all-stars. Pair either one of them with Roy who is a perennial all-star, and you have the foundation for a championship team. If Oden develops, you have the potential for a dynasty.

The other area Portland should look to improve is their perimeter defense. One of the main reasons that Oden is getting into foul trouble is that perimeter players are getting into the lane at will. Blake and Rodriguez are not physically capable of going through picks. Batum and Outlaw are constantly being run past by faster players or (more frequently) run over by bigger wings.

A physical, defensive minded SF is exactly what this team needs. Unfortunately few are available. Prince and Battier would be perfect (too bad they aren't available) Artest and J. Howard are available but Portland is on a "character crusade" in the post-Jailblazer era. Gerald Wallace and Caron Bulter would be excellent, though there are questions about their availability and price.

Hellcrooner
02-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes, they have three very good Foudning stones in Roy, Aldrige and Oden, but their PG and SF is subpar in comparison.

they have a LOT of depth they have three guys for each position and some of them ( Outlow, Bayless, Rudy would for sure be Starting , when not STARRING somwhere else.

They can afford to trade some of them to better up theyr satrting 5 and still keeping a good bench:

X/Roy/X/Aldrige/Oden

Bench: BLake, Webster, Batum, Diogu, Pryzbilla.

Thats a Hell of a team and im SURE that they can do a pair of trades involving, Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy, Outlow, Frye, and hughe Lafretnz expiring + some pick ( they have plenty) that lands them a good PG and a good Sf.

JordansBulls
02-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Well would you?

Majority of you know there situation. They are a very good team as it is, and there is no immediate need to "win now" so would you just sit on that roster for a few years and see who ''pans'' out?

Or would you use your many trade assets to your advantage?

I wouldn't. I would keep the trio of Roy, Aldridge and Oden together.

Hellcrooner
02-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Mmm seing he got injured yesterday AGaIn i think they should try to trade oden whyle there is still Hype Value for him....

Sergio, Lafrentz and Oden for Stou? or Bosh?

blackjack_119
02-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Mmm seing he got injured yesterday AGaIn i think they should try to trade oden whyle there is still Hype Value for him....

Sergio, Lafrentz and Oden for Stou? or Bosh?

Oden wasn't hurt. The team didn't want him playing in back-to-back-to-back games in three different cities.

Oh... you also forgot to list Rudy Fernandez on the Blazer bench. He will be there for the next four years (plus how ever long of a contract he signs as a restricted free agent in 2012, since Portland will match it)

Rique
02-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Lafrentz, Outlaw, Rodriguez for Vince Carter and they could win now.

SouljahPhil...
02-14-2009, 11:25 AM
If i'm the blazers gm..I'll trade everyone except for oden-aldridge-rudy and roy...

GregOden#1
02-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Aldridge was never on the table. Not even once. Multiple sources have confirmed that that was smoke from Phoenix, and nothing really happened. The deal was Lafrentz+Bayless+Diagu for Amare. If PHO was really serious about getting the most financially out of a trade they'd do this, otherwise there isn't much interest from the Portland side. RJeff either, I'm not 100% sure I'd trade Lafrentz and a heavily protected first for him (which is what's on the table, not the deals CBS is reporting). Portland and Toronto are not good trading partners, Aldridge for Bosh is kind of redundant for Toronto, they need someone to pair with Bargnani not a player similar to him.

GregOden#1
02-14-2009, 12:05 PM

I'd probably do that, some people might disagree but I still think Carter is a superstar caliber player.

IndyRealist
02-14-2009, 12:14 PM
You've got to give to get. Any trade for a major player is going to involve Oden, Aldridge, Fernandez, and/or Roy. Seeing as their building around Roy, and Oden's value is down, that means Aldridge, Fernandez, Bayless, or Outlaw will be going. If you're going to acquire a big (Stoudamire, Bosh) then Aldridge goes. If you're acquiring a PG/SG, then Fernandez and/or Bayless goes. If you're acquiring a wing, then you trade Fernandez or Outlaw. It just makes sense, if the other team is giving up a SF, they're going to want a SF in return unless they've got one waiting for minutes. And if you're acquiring a high level SF, you're going to want to free up minutes for him.

Would I trade? Yes. But I'd trade someone they probably can't resign in a few years, like Bayless for a veteran with a short contract, and have them take back a bad contract, like Pryzbilla or Webster or even Steve Blake. You get veteran experience, you get an upgrade in production, and you get out from under a bad contract. Win-win-win.

GregOden#1
02-14-2009, 12:18 PM
You've got to give to get. Any trade for a major player is going to involve Oden, Aldridge, Fernandez, and/or Roy. Seeing as their building around Roy, and Oden's value is down, that means Aldridge, Fernandez, Bayless, or Outlaw will be going. If you're going to acquire a big (Stoudamire, Bosh) then Aldridge goes. If you're acquiring a PG/SG, then Fernandez and/or Bayless goes. If you're acquiring a wing, then you trade Fernandez or Outlaw. It just makes sense, if the other team is giving up a SF, they're going to want a SF in return unless they've got one waiting for minutes. And if you're acquiring a high level SF, you're going to want to free up minutes for him.
No we dont...Raef is a massive asset on his own. With the economy the way it is he's a free 5 million dollars this year and 13 million off the cap next year. That's huge for guys like Sarver and the Detroit owner who arent that rich and need the cash. And Aldridge has NEVER been on the table in an Amare trade, for Bosh possibly I dont know, but I know for a fact Aldridge has never entered the discussions. We want Amare so we can ship him off for better talent than we got him for, we'd buy low and sell very high.

Would I trade? Yes. But I'd trade someone they probably can't resign in a few years, like Bayless for a veteran with a short contract, and have them take back a bad contract, like Pryzbilla or Webster or even Steve Blake. You get veteran experience, you get an upgrade in production, and you get out from under a bad contract. Win-win-win.
Why woudn't we be able to resign Bayless..........................

IndyRealist
02-14-2009, 12:18 PM

I disagree. If you gut your bench you're not going to get past the second round. Phoenix tried to play 7 deep, look where it got them.

IndyRealist
02-14-2009, 12:23 PM
No we dont...Raef is a massive asset on his own. With the economy the way it is he's a free 5 million dollars this year and 13 million off the cap next year. That's huge for guys like Sarver and the Detroit owner who arent that rich and need the cash. And Aldridge has NEVER been on the table in an Amare trade, for Bosh possibly I dont know, but I know for a fact Aldridge has never entered the discussions. We want Amare so we can ship him off for better talent than we got him for, we'd buy low and sell very high.

Why woudn't we be able to resign Bayless..........................

What I said is that if you want Amare, you're going to have to give up Aldridge. Re-read the post. Obviously you don't want Amare that badly, which is fine, I wouldn't do it either.

Detriot's had like 230 consecutive sellouts, I think they're doing fine.

I seriously doubt Bayless with get resigned. If he's as good as people think, he's going to command a lot more money than Portland is going to want to give for Brandon Roy's backup. The kid's just not a PG. And the Blazers are being fiscally responsible, I like their payroll strategy right now.

GregOden#1
02-14-2009, 12:34 PM
What I said is that if you want Amare, you're going to have to give up Aldridge. Re-read the post. Obviously you don't want Amare that badly, which is fine, I wouldn't do it either.
Your post didn't make sense and I took what I could get from it. If Bosh is moving they dont want a PF back because they have Bargnani. If PHO wants money that badly they'd trade for Raef+Bayless straight up, we woudn't need to give up Aldridge.

Detriot's had like 230 consecutive sellouts, I think they're doing fine.

That doesn't matter if the Owner is still losing money, which from what I've read is the case.

I seriously doubt Bayless with get resigned. If he's as good as people think, he's going to command a lot more money than Portland is going to want to give for Brandon Roy's backup. The kid's just not a PG. And the Blazers are being fiscally responsible, I like their payroll strategy right now.

The Blazers once had salaries that doubled the current salary cap. They dont care how much players ask for they'll sign them to whatever they want. As for Bayless not being a PG, he's played PG every time Roy and him have been in the game, and they are very good together. He just needs time to keep gelling. By the start of the playoffs him and Roy will be the starting backcourt.

IndyRealist
02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Your post didn't make sense and I took what I could get from it. If Bosh is moving they dont want a PF back because they have Bargnani. If PHO wants money that badly they'd trade for Raef+Bayless straight up, we woudn't need to give up Aldridge.

That doesn't matter if the Owner is still losing money, which from what I've read is the case.

The Blazers once had salaries that doubled the current salary cap. They dont care how much players ask for they'll sign them to whatever they want. As for Bayless not being a PG, he's played PG every time Roy and him have been in the game, and they are very good together. He just needs time to keep gelling. By the start of the playoffs him and Roy will be the starting backcourt.

Wait, weren't you the one going on and on about franchise law like you knew what you were talking about, when you had done absolutely no research? How's that lawsuit with the Grizzlies going?

The Blazers are the best team in the world, all their players should be all-stars, every single one of them is going to sign for 50 cents on the dollar, and they're going to win 20 championships with their current roster, starting this year. Happy? :smoking:

GregOden#1
02-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Wait, weren't you the one going on and on about franchise law like you knew what you were talking about, when you had done absolutely no research? How's that lawsuit with the Grizzlies going?
:confused:

And I never said the Blazers were going to sue the Grizzlies. I said they'd sue them if they signed Miles with the intent of harming their cap situation, as Miles seems to be able to play there isn't any reason to sue. Thanks for playing though.

The Blazers are the best team in the world, all their players should be all-stars, every single one of them is going to sign for 50 cents on the dollar, and they're going to win 20 championships with their current roster, starting this year. Happy? :smoking:

Is this your way of getting out of an argument you know you've lost? Cuz you could have just asked nicely.

IndyRealist
02-14-2009, 01:51 PM
See the problem, GO#1, is that you look at everything from a Blazers prespective. Case in point:

If PHO wants money that badly they'd trade for Raef+Bayless straight up, we woudn't need to give up Aldridge.

You're focused on what Portland wants to happen, and you assume that's the fair situation. Raef is the best expiring contract in the NBA, but LaFrentz + Bayless does not equal Stoudamire + the lost revenue because the Suns will have no effective PF so they're out of the playoffs. Phoenix only considers it if they get back young pieces they can work with. If the Suns do Lafrentz + Bayless, I'll quit posting on PSD.

Your post didn't make sense and I took what I could get from it.
If you didn't understand my posts, well sorry, but no one else seems to have a problem reading them. They very logically fill out details that are mutually beneficial to both parties.

We went what, three, four pages of posts on the Darius Miles before you finally admitted you didn't know anything about franchise laws? Notice how everyone's stopped posting now that you're in the thread? I was trying to be polite. Apparently that's over your head as well. Have fun.

Kakaroach
02-14-2009, 02:06 PM
I would not make a trade if I was the Blazers. I personally beleive that the fact that Darius Miles swallowed up their money, they need to keep Lafrentz so they have some cap relief this year. Plus, Aldridge is an up-and-coming star, so why would you trade him?

KnicksorBust
02-14-2009, 02:35 PM
The Blazers are my 2nd favorite team but they have to be careful to not turn out like the baby Bulls. A ton of young talented players who never had a veteran to really make them a contender.

GregOden#1
02-14-2009, 03:13 PM
See the problem, GO#1, is that you look at everything from a Blazers prespective. Case in point:
Um...no I'm not...

You're focused on what Portland wants to happen, and you assume that's the fair situation. Raef is the best expiring contract in the NBA, but LaFrentz + Bayless does not equal Stoudamire + the lost revenue because the Suns will have no effective PF so they're out of the playoffs. Phoenix only considers it if they get back young pieces they can work with. If the Suns do Lafrentz + Bayless, I'll quit posting on PSD.

The Suns are already out of the playoffs, and their owner has lost a quarter of a billion dollars. If they're serious about getting the best financial return on Amare then they take this deal, otherwise the Blazers arent interested. I never said that's what's going to happen (which you seem to be wrongfully implying) but if it did, that's how it'd happen.

If you didn't understand my posts, well sorry, but no one else seems to have a problem reading them. They very logically fill out details that are mutually beneficial to both parties.

We went what, three, four pages of posts on the Darius Miles before you finally admitted you didn't know anything about franchise laws? Notice how everyone's stopped posting now that you're in the thread? I was trying to be polite. Apparently that's over your head as well. Have fun.

As far as people who use decent grammar go, you've got to be one of the least logical posters I've ever met. Nowhere in that post is a logical thought, just half-assed attempts at making me look bad, and you cant even do that properly. Should I really waste my time showing you the nonsense of your last few posts? Ok:

What I said is that if you want Amare, you're going to have to give up Aldridge.

Yeah, I garnered that from your post, it's not true though. I replied saying such, and you replied with the post I just quoted. You didn't add anything to the discussion, you just repeated a point I had already showed was incorrect. I couldn't think of a reason why you'd make the same point twice, so I just assumed I misread what you said saying "your post didn't make any sense". Turns out I did understand, you just dont know what you're talking about. You then replied by misstating an argument I made a few weeks ago in order to make me look stupid, to which I pointed out that's not what I said.

TheChosenOne88
02-14-2009, 03:40 PM
It is going to be VERY hard for Portland to keep all three of Roy, Aldridge, and Oden if they continue to get better, but if the owner is willing to spend the money these guys will command when their rookie deals expire, then its possible for them to stay together. Roy is already an All Star, Aldridge is developing his game on both ends of the floor, and give Oden 2-3 more seasons and he's the next most dominant center in the NBA like a young Shaq.

GarlicStench
02-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Yes trade for Corey maggette, cause he is in our heads! He has personally turned LaMarucs into a complete headcase.

S2krollin
02-14-2009, 04:00 PM
I would make a trade as long as the trade doesn't invole Roy, Oden, LA. Anything outside of those 3 i wouldn't mind trading if i were the Blazers.

Rocco007
02-14-2009, 04:08 PM
They have the best chips to acquire Amare or Bosh...I would prefer Bosh as the better all around player..Although Fernandez would fit in as Nash's replacement..add Aldridge and another player and this can work for Phoe or Tor....Ogden clearly can't carry this Franchise to the promise land..Another power addition to the frontline is needed..

Hellcrooner
02-14-2009, 04:16 PM
The best thing Blz have now is their most dangerous thing.

Tons of good young players.

Yes makes great depth, and as they all are new to the league chemistry more or less works.

But believe me, Fernandez, Outlow, Frye, Webster , bayless, all of them can start somwhere else, tey may even Become Second options out there or allstars and of course they can win 5 year 50 million dollars if they are allowed to display their true game with enough minutes and touches,

They wont settle for 20 minutes as reservers forever withouth disturbing the chemistry.

Mark my words.

Missing56&33
02-14-2009, 04:25 PM
good question and post. I like the Blazers right now. Your in the playoff hunt, GO is back and healthy, hes also playing very well. I say you stand pat and evaluate this team with GO and BR and see how well you do in the playoffs. That's the problem in the league today, I think some teams over do it with trades , I think the Blazers can make some noise in the playoffs this year and teams can evaluate them and their players stock will rise. No trades IMO

jnb58
02-14-2009, 05:17 PM
The Blazers will make a trade but I hope they don't. I am okay with consolidating young talented players for stars but most of the Blazer backups are being undervalued.
Most of them are starters on other teams. However I do believe most of them can be kept happy if there is a lot of success and they are paid fairly.

IndyRealist and GregOden#1, your feud is obnoxious. GO, you make Blazer fans look like @sses. Calm down. Don't take this so personally.

IR, just ignore him. He makes everything into WW3. He and I went back and forth about who was more athletic. Chaimberlain or David Robinson.:rolleyes: Totally idiotic to get heated about.

I do agree with GO about most of the things he wrote. He just lacks tact.

blackjack_119
02-14-2009, 07:34 PM

That would be me... and it was contract/tort law. There is no such thing as "Franchise Law." As for going on "like I knew what I was talking about" without doing research... ESPN seemed to like it. Henry Abbott cited my work for legal analysis on True Hoop. As for the lawsuit against the Griz, it was always prefaced on them acting in bad faith. Memphis signing Miles for the entire season ends that argument. Thus there is no case against them.

IndyRealist
02-14-2009, 07:45 PM
That would be me... and it was contract/tort law. There is no such thing as "Franchise Law." As for going on "like I knew what I was talking about" without doing research... ESPN seemed to like it. Henry Abbott cited my work for legal analysis on True Hoop. As for the lawsuit against the Griz, it was always prefaced on them acting in bad faith. Memphis signing Miles for the entire season ends that argument. Thus there is no case against them.

When it had come up, I did in fact look up franchise law. There is such a thing, it's a subset of contract law, and apparently lawyers specialize in it. It's incredibly convoluted, and heavily favors the franchisor. There's a law firm trying to bring a class action lawsuit against Quizno's, they have a website for franchisee's to sign up :) Not that it seemed to apply to the NBA, but there you go. It was actually GO#1 I was debating with, but if you have a link to the True Hoop article I'd like to read it.

http://www.lawforum.net/areas/franchise_law/index.asp

blazerman
02-14-2009, 09:46 PM
When it had come up, I did in fact look up franchise law. There is such a thing, it's a subset of contract law, and apparently lawyers specialize in it. It's incredibly convoluted, and heavily favors the franchisor. There's a law firm trying to bring a class action lawsuit against Quizno's, they have a website for franchisee's to sign up :) Not that it seemed to apply to the NBA, but there you go. It was actually GO#1 I was debating with, but if you have a link to the True Hoop article I'd like to read it.

http://www.lawforum.net/areas/franchise_law/index.asp

What's up with you and trying to act like your David Stern and an expert on Nba legal issues.

This thread was meant to ask people "Do you think the Blazers will make a trade before the deadline", not to have you complain about irrelevant issues that dont concern this thread.

Regardless if your right or wrong, debate or complain in another thread designated for that topic!

GunFactor187
02-15-2009, 01:11 AM
If I was Da Pritch, I WOULD NOT make any moves this season.