View Full Version : TIMES FOR ALL STAR WEEKEND and horse game

Fear_GAS_OLDier
02-13-2009, 06:34 PM
NBA All Star Weekend Starts Tonight on ESPN and TNT
POSTED February 13, 2009 | 9:27 AM

NBA All Star Weekend Starts Tonight on ESPN and TNT
By: Jim Williams
The Examiner

This is a great weekend for NBA fans as the All Star weekend hits Phoenix starting tonight on ESPN at 7pm with the NBA Celebrity All Star Game. Basketball Hall of Famers Clyde Drexler and Dominique Wilkins join actor/comedian Chris Tucker, Desperate Housewives' James Denton, and Scrubs' Donald Faison along with other stars of Hollywood, music and sports in the McDonald's NBA All-Star Celebrity Game on Friday, Feb. 13, in association with 2K Sports, Cisco and T-Mobile USA.

Basketball Hall of Famers Magic Johnson (ESPN analyst) and "Dr. J" Julius Erving, who combined for 23 NBA All-Star appearances and who each earned two All-Star Game MVPs, will serve as coaches for the star-studded teams. Other celebrities-turned-hoopsters competing include Dallas Cowboys All-Pro receiver and Terrell Owens (last year's Celebrity MVP), Chuck's Zach Levi, and Prison Break's Michael Rapaport.

TNT takes over at 9pm with All-Star starter LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers will be a guest analyst for the 2009 T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam.

Reggie Miller has some thoughts on who he is picking to win the Rookie Challenge: “This year, I’m going with the rookies (to win). This is a great rookie class with (Bulls guard) Derrick Rose, (Grizzlies center Marc) Gasol, (Heat forward Michael) Beasley, (Grizzlies guard) O.J. Mayo, they have enough offensive power to go against the sophomores. The sophomores have the experience but for this rookie-sophomore game, I’m going with the rookies.”

Things really get going on Saturday night and TNT will start things very early at 5 pm with the network’s award winning pregame show Inside the NBA. Something I will be looking forward to is a game of H-O-R-S-E featuring NBA players.
Miller talked about the game H-O-R-S-E “We had to go to H-O-R-S-E after I kept losing one-on-one to (sister) Cheryl, so we went to an easier game, which is the H-O-R-S-E game. I’m very familiar with H-O-R-S-E, it’s something I could definitely beat Cheryl in because all I had to do was go back into my mom’s rose garden and shoot some long range jump shots and I could get the letters on Cheryl.”

7 pm will come NBA All-Star Slam Dunk Theater a look at some of the best dunks of all time which should be worth the time. At 8pm will be the NBA All-Star Saturday Night which includes the Haier Shooting Stars competition, the Playstation Skills Challenge, the Foot Locker Three-Point Shootout, and the Sprite Slam Dunk.

For my money TNT always makes this one of the most enjoyable and entertaining nights of basketball on TV. They have great talent and fan interaction to go with some of the wildest nights in basketball.

Absent this year from the coverage will be Charles Barkley who is serving a suspension from the network for a DUI that he received earlier this year. Everyone knows that I am a huge Sir Charles fan but even though the game is being played in “his town” I agree with Jeff ******, Turner Sports executive producer who made it clear the network was holding solid on its decision “Nothing has changed regarding Charles' status. He continues to be on a leave of absence and no date has been set for his return.”
Sunday night at 8pm TNT will present the All Star Game with Marv Albert, Doug Collins and Reggie Miller.
They had some interesting observations at the All Star break….

Albert on Lakers guard Kobe Bryant being lauded by Knicks fans when he put up 61 points on Monday night: “At the (Madison Square) Garden these days, it’s a combination of appreciation, and even though the Knicks are better this season, there is frustration that they are under 500 and that they have not been good in quite some time. The climate is so different these days, the guys like Kobe (Bryant) and LeBron (James) and Dwyane Wade, these guys are so popular and they get so much exposure, all three come across so well in commercials, interviews and they are very likeable. In most arenas it has become similar to applauding for a popular entertainer, these guys are like rock stars. A few years back when Reggie Miller was lighting it up against the Knicks at the Garden, perhaps even he would have been well received. Then again, maybe not.”

Miller on his exchange with Knicks fan Spike Lee about the Madison Square Garden crowd chanting “MVP” for Lakers guard Kobe Bryant: “Playing at the Garden is the number one venue for any NBA player to play in. I was watching the game last night, and I was texting Spike (Lee) as the game was going on and saying how disappointed I was in the fans chanting MVP to Kobe, ‘how the mighty have fallen.’ In times past, I never got cheered, I’m sure (Michael) Jordan never got cheered and now they are chanting MVP for Kobe. (Spike Lee) kept texting back saying, ‘times have changed, the climate has changed.’

Miller on Lakers guard Kobe Bryant’s 61-point performance and how it effects the MVP race: “It was a fabulous performance by the reigning MVP (Kobe Bryant). Every time everyone is conceding the MVP this year, rightfully so to LeBron James who is having a fabulous year, Kobe comes out with a performance like this that makes everyone say, ‘let’s hold off a little bit and let the season play out and take a look at both guys’ stats the whole year.’ Every time someone talks about LeBron, Kobe comes out with a performance that makes everyone scratch their heads and say, ‘we could be looking at a two-time MVP, back-to-back.’”

Collins on whether Cavaliers forward LeBron James will try to match Lakers guard Kobe Bryant’s performance: “Great players always look at great players. Even though (LeBron James) throws up big numbers, I always felt that the biggest part of his game that was underrated was his passing. So much of his early play in Cleveland was that he had to score for his team to have a chance to win, but personality-wise I never felt that he was a guy who thrived on throwing up big numbers. Not that he can’t, but I’ve always seen him play and through the years he has more of a Magic Johnson mentality of being able to make plays for others and he was criticized for that. Whereas Kobe was so much like Michael. They have that dominant scoring mentality, so to me it’s just two different approaches.”

http://www.dcexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/WatchThis/NBA-All-Star-Weekend-Starts-Tonight-on-ESPN-and-TNT-39553132.html

alot of people were asking about the horse game and when other things will
be, so hear it is

sorry i know theres prob another thread about this but it's buried somewhere

lakers4sho
02-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Check the stickies.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
02-13-2009, 06:52 PM
i'm doing this from my phone