PDA

View Full Version : Kapono & Banks

3lite-Raps
02-13-2009, 06:21 PM
What do you think the raptors should do to get rid of these bad contracts. And do you think either of them will be shipped out on the deadline?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused:

Bob_at_york
02-13-2009, 06:26 PM
We aren't allowed to trade Banks, we just got him. Kapono... a lot of people seem to think that BC has another trade in mind, I am thinking that Kapono is the guy who will be going.

AFlagRules
02-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Awesome :)

raptor fan
02-13-2009, 06:41 PM
We aren't allowed to trade Banks, we just got him. Kapono... a lot of people seem to think that BC has another trade in mind, I am thinking that Kapono is the guy who will be going.

i think we can trade banks if it is a one for one deal, but we'd only be getting back a bad contract, so that's out of the picture. i really believe kapono is being dealt before the deadline. BC traded another one of our picks, and we might deal kapono to a contender for smaller contracts and a pick or something like that. i really hope kapono is off our team by the deadline.

Ripinfamous
02-13-2009, 06:50 PM
i think we can trade banks if it is a one for one deal, but we'd only be getting back a bad contract, so that's out of the picture. i really believe kapono is being dealt before the deadline. BC traded another one of our picks, and we might deal kapono to a contender for smaller contracts and a pick or something like that. i really hope kapono is off our team by the deadline.

Cant trade Banks, League rules say u cant trade a player within 30 days of acquiring him. By that time deadline is gone so he is gonna be a Raptor till at least the offseason.

Bob Loblaw
02-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Cant trade Banks, League rules say u cant trade a player within 30 days of acquiring him. By that time deadline is gone so he is gonna be a Raptor till at least the offseason.

When did that rule come in? Didnt Rasheed Wallace play 1 game for the Hawks after being traded from Portland before he went to Detroit?

raptor fan
02-13-2009, 06:56 PM

didnt the hawks trade rasheed wallace to the pistons after a day or something? i might be mistaken though

Sorry this was already posted above

Big Game Son
02-13-2009, 06:58 PM

I second this notion. Kapono actually does have value. I honetly see us acquiring a back-up centre for him. May not be a Mega-deal, but players like Diop, Boone, Joe Smith to an extent arent more productive than Kapono. In combination Kapono is a good commodity. The contract isnt great, but honestly it isnt HUGE so its workable.

Ripinfamous
02-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Might be new, not sure but I kno they said it a couple of times on SportsCenter and I kno because on Heat.com in the offseason many were talking about signing and traded Jason Williams(b4 he announced his retirement) and someone linked the thread to the NBA rule that said u cannot trade any player within the 30 day mark. Now is that new? I dunno, mayb its old and not even in effect anymore who knows. But I do remember seeing it. Sorry I couldnt give u a more definative answer

3lite-Raps
02-13-2009, 07:15 PM
what about kapono for tony allen and scalabrine

VinceIsASally
02-13-2009, 07:21 PM
If Kapono goes, the Bank's contract is fine and won't kill us and he'll be a serviceable backup until Roko is fully ready. If he stays, the two combined are gonna hurt.

td0tsfinest
02-13-2009, 07:22 PM

I agree. A lot of people were saying how Jay has asked JK to shoot the ball more and right now his numbers are up but the only teams i see him going to is a playoff contending team. We still have a couple more days till the deadline.

argo
02-13-2009, 09:19 PM
kapono and solomon would be nice to package if there are any takers

DinasourNoah
02-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Let's get Cory Magette now and this team is play off bound...winning it all a la Celtics.

ink
02-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Let's get Cory Magette now and this team is play off bound...winning it all a la Celtics.

Pass.

zantabak
02-13-2009, 11:22 PM
we did pick up cash from the heat as well, so maybe we'll use that to buy out banks

pnutbuttanjelly
02-13-2009, 11:47 PM
kapono and humphries for mike miller...if marion or miller dont wanna resign this summer toronto has a 26mill cap space...you can use some of it this year for a good fa such as AI or Odom then use the rest in 2010 for an impact player...and use a little bit of it for joey graham he's come up for the past month...he'll be a decent bench player

Calderon/Ukic/Banks
Miller/Parker
Marion/Graham
Bosh
Bargnani/Jawai

Haran
02-13-2009, 11:48 PM
i can see Kapono going to Boston for either Tony Allen + Scalembrenie or Leon Powe + scalem, oh and in both trades a 2nd round draft pick for us.

magikmc
02-14-2009, 12:31 AM
i agree that colangelo HAS to find a way to move kapono..

argo
02-14-2009, 12:42 AM
kapono and humphries for mike miller...if marion or miller dont wanna resign this summer toronto has a 26mill cap space...you can use some of it this year for a good fa such as AI or Odom then use the rest in 2010 for an impact player...and use a little bit of it for joey graham he's come up for the past month...he'll be a decent bench player

Calderon/Ukic/Banks
Miller/Parker
Marion/Graham
Bosh
Bargnani/Jawai

why would memphis do that?

Raptors27
02-14-2009, 01:04 AM
why would memphis do that?

No idea why Memphis would, but the T'wolves could consider it :eyebrow:

Kaze
02-14-2009, 03:24 AM
another thing with bank's contract is that, ppl tend to fail to see that with marion's 17mil contract coming off the books, we're still stuck with bank's 4mil contract, so with the 17mil in cap relief which would mean probably 2 players to plug several holes on this team:

- a serviceable backup big (if marion walks, and i doubt jawai or voshkul will be do-able) as well

- a scorer on the wing in this league would probably cost you around 10-12mil

but i mean those are just the glaring holes, without taking into account injuries... so if we fill those holes, we dont have the depth to absorb any injuries, and i think its foolish to think you can go thru an entire season healthy. And we hear BC talking about Defino like he already has plans on bringing him back, wheres that money going to come from??

so from what i see is that marcus banks, is actually like a credit card of sorts, lets you go on a spending spree in 2009 summer, but bites you in the @$$ in the following yrs with his crappy contract, then we'd be stuck here paying for a pine-rider/cheerleader for this team...

HoopsMachine
02-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Well Im sure we'll see another deal within the next few days for a backup big involving (Parker and/or Kapono). With Humpries out, I don't see how we make the playoffs with Voshkul or Jawaii coming off the bench.

DWT
02-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Well Im sure we'll see another deal within the next few days for a backup big involving (Parker and/or Kapono). With Humpries out, I don't see how we make the playoffs with Voshkul or Jawaii coming off the bench.

Why do people think they have to make the playoffs? Squeaking into the playoffs as an 7th or 8th seed this season is a step backwards. Let the season run it's course, let Bargs continue to gel with Bosh up front, let Roko develop a little to see if he can be a backup guard.....

Most importantly, let the team get the lottery pick, that's the best help they will get in the 2-3 spots and more ammo to show continued improvement and growth.

North Yorker
02-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Here's the scenario I have playing out.

*We trade Kapono before the deadline,prolly for a big.
*Don't make the playoffs and get a top 10 pick.
*We sign a legitimate scoring/defensive wing in the offseason (Odom,Ariza, maybe even Marion)
*1 year from now... We ***** the situation with both making the playoffs and Bosh's feelings about staying in TO. If we are underperforming or Bosh just outright tells BC that he wants out: Trade Bosh ALONG with Banks to a team either willing to re-sign him or a team that wants to load up for the playoffs. Banks will hinder the talent return for Bosh, but gives us A LOT of cap space going into 2010 along with a good player or 2 in return.

Bob_at_york
02-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Pass.

tht's right, Corey doesn't do that enough. ;)

Bob_at_york
02-14-2009, 10:47 AM
i think we can trade banks if it is a one for one deal, but we'd only be getting back a bad contract, so that's out of the picture.
Nope, that was a rule we created for the mock offseason.

Possible Kapono deals I can see happening:

1) Rumoured ones with Boston including Tony Allen or Scalbrine.
2) Going to the 76ers for Reggie Evans.

raptor fan
02-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Nope, that was a rule we created for the mock offseason.

Possible Kapono deals I can see happening:

1) Rumoured ones with Boston including Tony Allen or Scalbrine.
2) Going to the 76ers for Reggie Evans.

i think the boston one makes more sense seeing ow we get more cap flexibility, and i think he'd be a better fit for their team. i dont see us getting tony allen back in return though, but definately there's a deal worth looking into with boston.

raptor fan
02-15-2009, 12:30 PM
if the spurs make a deal for carter involving george hill, they're going to need a backup PG to play behind tony parker. do u think they'd be interested in banks for robert horry (sign and trade for one year) since they're not going to be active in the 2010 free agent period or maybe to a team like the hawks for speedy claxton? however, i think these deals might be more likely at the end of season after we showcase banks a little to get a team to bite on his contract.

Gup
02-15-2009, 01:05 PM
we did pick up cash from the heat as well, so maybe we'll use that to buy out banks

We picked up 3 mil. If we trade Kapono who maks around 5 mil, we can throw in that 3 mil with Kapono's contract and trade for a 8 mil contact.

conway429
02-15-2009, 01:19 PM
If a team acquires a player in a trade, they are allowed to trade that player straight-up for another individual player immediately. However, if they wish to package that player with another and make a trade, the team must wait 60 days before doing so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Salary_Cap

So it looks like we're stuck with Banks til the offseason...