PDA

View Full Version : With a healthy O Neal, how far will the Heat go this year?

fairandbalanced
02-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I think Miami is now well positioned for a post-season run. I understand that some think Miami will be worse off "Miami becomes a worst team with this trade. They could miss the playoffs this year and could miss the playoffs next year. If they do, they would be one of the worst franchises in the NBA from 2007-2010. Marion gave them more than O'Neal ever will" (Lo Porto), but most seem to believe the heat will be better. How far do you see the Heat going in the play-offs? I think they can make it to second round, but then again I am a heat fan and maybe I am a little biased.

Raps08-09 Champ
02-13-2009, 05:59 PM
my bad i wanted to put 2nd round but i put east finals

lakers4sho
02-13-2009, 05:59 PM
First round exit. They can't beat the East's Big 3.

Even against DET they would still have problems.

what54!?
02-13-2009, 06:00 PM
It depends on what seed the heat are what team they play. If the heat play the C's or cavs in the first round its unlikely. If they play the magic or hawks, sixers etc... (whoever gets that fourth or 5th spot) they have a good chance.

The Answer3
I'd say we'll get to the 2nd round.

Kakaroach
They would have a chance against either Atlanta or Detroit to make it past the first round.

Trouble87
02-13-2009, 06:07 PM
out in the first round... i see him slowing them down and ruining team chemistry

at this point in his career he's more of a distraction than a help

MiamiHeat
02-13-2009, 06:08 PM
anything can happen in the playoffs

:shrug:

fairandbalanced
02-13-2009, 06:08 PM
out in the first round... i see him slowing them down and ruining team chemistry

Slow who down? Miami has always been a half-court offensive team.

codes238
02-13-2009, 06:12 PM

JO has actually been great this year and also miami is a half-court defensive team so theres nothing to really slow down... you never know how things will actually work out but addidng a legit center to an already decent team lacking an NBA-level center cant be a bad thing...

kntresistheheat
02-13-2009, 06:14 PM
:pity:

LayZbone
02-13-2009, 06:16 PM
First round exit. They can't beat the East's Big 3.

Even against DET they would still have problems.

DET has been playing like crap. I'm predicting the Hawks and Heat face off in the 1st round (#4 and #5). 2nd round exit seems reasonable.

And to answer the bolded....can't? We have. Regular season wins over the Cavs and Magic this season, plus the Hawks and a couple great teams out West. The playoffs are a different story, but we all know just how great a healthy Dwyane Wade can be in the playoffs.

p.s. I know what you meant. The Heat don't have what it takes to beat the top dogs in a 7 game series, and you're most likely right. I just took the literal translation to point out that indeed we have picked up wins against 2 of the big 3, and the lakers.

marlinsfan24
02-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I think we can make the East finals. We have played well against the Magic, Hawks, Pistons, and Cavs. I'm worried about when we'd have to play Boston.

MilfHunter07
02-13-2009, 06:26 PM
If we face the hawks or pistons in the first then the magic in the 2nd its not that hard to see us in the ecf. we play the magic and cavs really well. no chance vs the celts though

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
02-13-2009, 06:28 PM
anything can happen in the playoffs

:shrug:

So far the Cleveland regular season series has been pretty good. So I wouldn't be surprised if you guys brought it in the playoffs.

3lite-Raps
02-13-2009, 06:30 PM
2nd round or all the way i can see JO makin an extra push for them

WadeCounty
02-13-2009, 06:34 PM
the only team the heat have a problem with is boston, i can see the heat takin on the pistons/hawks.. cleveland miami has always played against even this year miami could have won it at cleveland if it wasnt for the coach keeping wade in the bench for soo long in the 4th quarter but w-e they pulled off the win here in miami against them, now orlando would give the heat alot of problems butnow with o'neal howard has a body he has to bash against besides magloire, idk how good orlando is without nelson so i cant judge them but nelson was 1 of their key guys

Lakers4ItAll
02-13-2009, 06:52 PM
They will deff make the playoffs and could possibly make it to the 2nd rnd

LayZbone
02-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Boston is really the only team that i feel the Heat have no chance against.

THE MTL
02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
O'Neal will get crushed by Dwight Howard assuming Heat make 6th seed.

b_rad23
02-13-2009, 07:41 PM
No moreso than he would have crushed Magloire, Joel Anthony or Haslem. I actually think he's a decent matchup compared to other centers. Nobody's going to stop Dwight though, he's just a freak.

I think the Heat would have a good chance against anyone not the Celtics and I'd love to see a Wade-Lebron showdown come playoff time. I see the Heat, unless they get the 8th seed, making the 2nd round and maybe the East Finals, depending on who the matchup is.

Jonathan2323
02-13-2009, 07:43 PM
i believe that the Heat can beat the Cavs and Orlando. Boston is a tough match up though.

ink
02-13-2009, 07:47 PM
If Marion plays hard he'll have more of an impact on the Raptors than JO will have with the Heat. For the simple fact that the Raptors needed a wing player so badly, and the Heat were doing OK already.

When Jamario Moon is your starter, you know you're thin at the wing.

_Sn1P3r_
02-13-2009, 07:50 PM
I think are a better team with this addition. ( Bye Bye JO :( ) They have Wade on the wing and a good post player if ever.

oldenpolynice
02-13-2009, 08:05 PM
I think D-Wade alone is worth at least a first round victory if the Heat play the Hawks or any team lower than the Hawks. If Miami's regular season play slips and they get a 7 or 8 seed, who knows? It could easily be a first round exit.

Ethix11
02-13-2009, 08:10 PM
The trade definately makes us better. Not because Marion sucked, but because ive never seen a player so used to a certain style that he just cant seem to fit. When Marion was out, we held our own, and now we have a "washed up" Oneal that can at least provide similar if not better numbers than Marion was here. I selected 2nd round because its almost a lock. But this team will go far in that series for sure but im unsure about the outcome. Boston is the only team im to say worried about. ....Lo Porto:pity:

ziglur
02-13-2009, 08:19 PM
JO has actually been great this year and also miami is a half-court defensive team so theres nothing to really slow down... you never know how things will actually work out but addidng a legit center to an already decent team lacking an NBA-level center cant be a bad thing...

If Oneal were a legit center, the pacers would have kept him.. Hes a natural PF.

ink
02-13-2009, 08:21 PM
If Oneal were a legit center, the pacers would have kept him.. Hes a natural PF.

And that's the main reason why he wasn't a good complement to Chris Bosh.

JSHAPE
02-13-2009, 08:38 PM
But this allows beasley to play more, with marion gone beasley will get the majority of the minutes at Sf, instead of coming off the bench

shonk688
02-13-2009, 08:54 PM
JO wont help the heat because he'll be hurt. His knees are dust. I know this as a pacers fan. Hey he's a good guy though. I wish him and the heat nothing but the best. I think the heat can make it to the 2nd round with or without him:).

JJ81
02-13-2009, 08:55 PM
He won't make much of a difference to them IMO... we'll see.

DODGERS&LAKERS
02-13-2009, 08:57 PM
At least the first round, at best the second round

Trouble87
02-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Slow who down? Miami has always been a half-court offensive team.

their offense moves pretty well... its has a good fluidity. I wasn't saying they were a fastbreak team

I can see him coming in there and ruining team chemistry and offensive production

he could help but I see him doing more harm than good

Hawkeye15
02-13-2009, 10:06 PM
with 2 rookies in the starting lineup, and ONeal, with no bench really, 1st round and out. But the Heat have better days ahead

Young2Kinsler
02-13-2009, 10:10 PM
JO can't stay healthy, so it's a pointless topic.

ragee
02-13-2009, 10:14 PM
If they can't get to at least 5th place, they are not going past the Magic, the Celts or the Cavs...

KB24PG16
02-13-2009, 10:40 PM
i said 2nd round i think theyll beat the 4 seed

shizzle09
02-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I think Miami is now well positioned for a post-season run. I understand that some think Miami will be worse off "Miami becomes a worst team with this trade. They could miss the playoffs this year and could miss the playoffs next year. If they do, they would be one of the worst franchises in the NBA from 2007-2010. Marion gave them more than O'Neal ever will" (Lo Porto), but most seem to believe the heat will be better. How far do you see the Heat going in the play-offs? I think they can make it to second round, but then again I am a heat fan and maybe I am a little biased.

any team with a healthy Wade is capable of making it to the 2nd round.

J$mo0th_3o5
02-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Anything can happen with Wade on your team :shrug:

hotdalton18
02-13-2009, 10:55 PM
DET has been playing like crap. I'm predicting the Hawks and Heat face off in the 1st round (#4 and #5). 2nd round exit seems reasonable.

And to answer the bolded....can't? We have. Regular season wins over the Cavs and Magic this season, plus the Hawks and a couple great teams out West. The playoffs are a different story, but we all know just how great a healthy Dwyane Wade can be in the playoffs.

p.s. I know what you meant. The Heat don't have what it takes to beat the top dogs in a 7 game series, and you're most likely right. I just took the literal translation to point out that indeed we have picked up wins against 2 of the big 3, and the lakers.

dont forget to mention the lakers witch is the best in the west

GodsSon
02-13-2009, 10:57 PM
lol the funny thing is when the raptors first acquired JO most people on these message boards were saying it was a questionable move due to health concerns...suddenly he gets traded to the heat and enough people (mostly heat fans) are proclaiming him as the next coming of the messiah...plain and simple, the heat will do exactly what they would have done before acquiring him and nothing more...JO commands the ball in the post and needs it to be an effective contributer offensively; meaning less touches for wade...on the defensive side of the ball he will help though

SwaggaIke
02-13-2009, 11:21 PM
lol the funny thing is when the raptors first acquired JO most people on these message boards were saying it was a questionable move due to health concerns...suddenly he gets traded to the heat and enough people (mostly heat fans) are proclaiming him as the next coming of the messiah...plain and simple, the heat will do exactly what they would have done before acquiring him and nothing more...JO commands the ball in the post and needs it to be an effective contributer offensively; meaning less touches for wade...on the defensive side of the ball he will help though

Didn't he play three seasons w/ Shaq? Or maybe it was all a dream. Anyway, I don't know if this man can stay healthy or not. If he can, we have a shot to be anybody. If he can't, we'll probably be out in the first round after a tough series. You can't predict these things, that's why they play the games.

twoearl
02-13-2009, 11:26 PM
JO will help, but they are not better than the top 3 in the east.

still1ballin
02-13-2009, 11:28 PM
1st round

GodsSon
02-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Didn't he play three seasons w/ Shaq? Or maybe it was all a dream. Anyway, I don't know if this man can stay healthy or not. If he can, we have a shot to be anybody. If he can't, we'll probably be out in the first round after a tough series. You can't predict these things, that's why they play the games.

Do you want to compare the effectiveness of Shaq then to JO now?? Shaq averaged 20 and 10 the first 2 years in miami, and was still beastly down low.

ink
02-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Do you want to compare the effectiveness of Shaq then to JO now?? Shaq averaged 20 and 10 the first 2 years in miami, and was still beastly down low.

There's no comparison. Heat fans that are hoping for the other O'Neal's game will be disappointed. More often than not, he take short jumpers over his man rather than getting to the rim. His D and his shot blocking are still very good though.

hotdogbun
02-14-2009, 01:12 AM
there is no such thing as a healthy JO

kvrnm
02-14-2009, 01:15 AM
jo is not very good anymore..

SwaggaIke
02-14-2009, 01:39 AM

"JO commands the ball in the post and needs it to be an effective contributer offensively; meaning less touches for wade..."

That is what you said right? When did effectiveness come into play? You said that he commands the ball in the post and needs it to contribute offensively. Shaq commanded the ball in the post and needed it to contribute offensively. I'm not saying O'Neal will play anywhere near the level of Shaq, but to get into a debate about touches is foolish. D Wade has been one of the leagues most unselfish superstars since day 1. If less touches for him means more wins, he'll be all for it no question. Again I say, this was never a debate of effectiveness...but what you described to me sounds a lot like what Shaq did and we made out alright. If there are issues, touches definitely won't be one of them.

koreancabbage
02-14-2009, 01:41 AM
not very good compared to who? Haslem? JO > Haslem overall game. No doubt he is an upgrade at the PF/C position. He definitely made your team better cuz Marion is doing something Beasly can do - 12 PPG and 8Boards, easy for Beasly

JayW_1023
02-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Not much...JO isn't going to be that big of a low post threat. He mostly plays in the high post these days.

I don't think the Heat will be much better.