PDA

View Full Version : Explanation of the draft picks included in the JO for Marion deal

ink
02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
I can merge this later, and if it's already posted, my apologies. I just thought this would help explain the first round pick issue.

According to a party with the details of the deal, the Heat will receive a first-round pick from Toronto in 2010, unless that pick is among the first 14 (lottery) selections.

Should Toronto be in the draft lottery in 2010, in essence not make next season's playoffs, the Heat then would receive a 2010 second-round pick from the Raptors.

The first-round pick then would be sent to the Heat in any year, from 2011 through 2014 that it is not among the first 14 selections (the next year Toronto makes the playoffs).

Should the Heat not get the first-round pick by 2014, it then would receive a 2015 first-round pick from the Raptors.

In addition, the Heat gained a $4 million trade exception in the transaction, which it can use to balance salaries in a deal for the next 12 months.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-heattrade09,0,6030464.story

Gup
02-13-2009, 05:28 PM
We'll make the play offs next year. So The Heat will get our pick going into next summer. Whatever..... Hopefully our team will have a true identity by then.

kidfury
02-13-2009, 05:32 PM
So if we get a lottery pick, the Heat get our 2nd round PLUS a 1st round pick sometime between 2011-2014? So we may lose 2 picks?

Ragun
02-13-2009, 05:34 PM
this makes the trade worse then it already is...

Mile High Champ
02-13-2009, 05:35 PM
this makes the trade worse then it already is...

Its fine, stop complaining, the trade serves a purpose.. I am so happy we got rid of Moon and the draft pick is not a concern at all for me..

_Supreme_
02-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Nice, you even left in the part I bolded in the main NBA forum :p

Draco
02-13-2009, 05:39 PM
So BC turned Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, the 2008 17th draft pick, Moon and future draft considerations for Marion and Banks.

Canadian hemi
02-13-2009, 05:40 PM
meh...so we don't lose a lottery pick. Which is all that I"m worried about!!!

ink
02-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Nice, you even left in the part I bolded in the main NBA forum :p

Oh yeah, many thanks to Supreme for posting the original ...

I saw that you posted it twice in the NBA forum, so I thought we should have it here too.

Ragun
02-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Its fine, stop complaining, the trade serves a purpose.. I am so happy we got rid of Moon and the draft pick is not a concern at all for me..

i have the right to complain.

Draco
02-13-2009, 05:43 PM
meh...so we don't lose a lottery pick. Which is all that I"m worried about!!!

The pick probably won't get rolled over to 2015 but if it does I think that pick is free and clear of any conditions.

ink
02-13-2009, 05:43 PM
So BC turned Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, the 2008 17th draft pick, Moon and future draft considerations for Marion and Banks.

I think he sent his pet Schnauzer to the Heat too.

ink
02-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Actually Mile High is right ... the deal needed to be done and it does serve a purpose. It just came at a very high price.

Ragun
02-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Actually Mile High is right ... the deal needed to be done and it does serve a purpose. It just came at a very high price.

thats true but i have the right to complain. thats what im saying.

ink
02-13-2009, 05:51 PM
thats true but i have the right to complain. thats what im saying.

I wasn't making a comment about that. Everyone has a right to complain.

He's ours now, so I want to see Shawn Marion of old come back to life. I hope he has it in him still. If he plays well and shows heart he will be appreciated.

dominican212
02-13-2009, 05:52 PM
can somebody tell me how much money we got back from the trade??????

LittleBosh
02-13-2009, 05:52 PM
I think he sent his pet Schnauzer to the Heat too.

I've read somewhere that Pat Riley suggested that Colangelo showed up for trade negotiations with his own lubricant. He insisted that Miami shall not feel obliged to serve their own to relieve Mr. Colangelo in the trade talks, according to the report.

Ragun
02-13-2009, 05:54 PM
actually you know what it is a good trade. things can't get much worse then it already is.

bartron_44
02-13-2009, 05:54 PM
It's ok if its protected, but I still don't like getting Marcus Banks, does anyone know anything about this guy?

bartron_44
02-13-2009, 05:55 PM
this may get us a better pick this year :)....lol

Draco
02-13-2009, 05:58 PM

I don't see it. That's the same reasoning (needed to be done) that was used when Ford was traded and if BC had not made that trade he would have had one more draft pick. At first blush.. it looks like BC is just digging a deeper hole. Was Oneal or is Marion considered a long term solution or a short term fix? If these are short term players.. what's the logic in investing so much into them?

ink
02-13-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't see it. That's the same reasoning that was used when Ford was traded and if BC had not made that trade he would have had one more draft pick. At first blush.. it looks like BC is just digging a deeper hole. Was Oneal or is Marion considered a long term solution or a short term fix? If these are short term players.. what's the logic in investing so much into them?

Because that's all he could get for JO and he decided he needed to move the franchise forward now. I agree it's short-sighted, but I can see why he made it. There was a huge outcry to do something and he needed to show Bosh or any other FA that he was being proactive.

Gup
02-13-2009, 06:01 PM
He didnt want to be in Miami anyways. I'm sure he's glad to be with Tonronto

ink
02-13-2009, 06:04 PM
He didnt want to be in Miami anyways. I'm sure he's glad to be with Tonronto

We'll see.

One thing we have going for us is that all of the ex-Suns wish they could play for a team that believes in their style of ball. Who better to play for than the guy who put them all together in the first place?

DaoudS
02-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Stupid deal. that is 2 trades that i disagree with.

Bob_at_york
02-13-2009, 06:30 PM
So if we get a lottery pick, the Heat get our 2nd round PLUS a 1st round pick sometime between 2011-2014? So we may lose 2 picks?

I am surprised by that too. That sucks.

raptor fan
02-13-2009, 06:36 PM
wow, we gave up picks for a rental. this deal is horrible.

The Wise 1
02-13-2009, 06:38 PM

Wow, I saw on the score that no draft picks were involved. I wasnt even for it without the pick, so this just makes it worse. So if Marion doesnt resign, we traded Ford and 2 1st round picks for Banks. Nice

Im sure its in another thread but this is the 1st thread I clicked on today, but if Marion doesnt resign and we dont get rid of Kapono or Banks, how much will we be under the cap?

Diego_Le
02-13-2009, 06:38 PM

we got 3 millions or so it saids in reports

Draco
02-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Wow, I saw on the score that no draft picks were involved. I wasnt even for it without the pick, so this just makes it worse. So if Marion doesnt resign, we traded Ford and 2 1st round picks for Banks. Nice

Im sure its in another thread but this is the 1st thread I clicked on today, but if Marion doesnt resign and we dont get rid of Kapono or Banks, how much will we be under the cap?

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8363957&postcount=384

It'll be interesting to see what BC does this offseason. Resign Marion? Let marion walk and use that cap space to sign a FA? Trade Bosh?

raptor fan
02-13-2009, 07:00 PM

It'll be interesting to see what BC does this offseason. Resign Marion? Let marion walk and use that cap space to sign a FA? Trade Bosh?

id like to see him use around 8-10M to lock up marvin williams

DaoudS
02-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Man the more I think about these picks and Moon - the more stupid BC is in my eyes.

Big Game Son
02-13-2009, 07:07 PM
I wasn't making a comment about that. Everyone has a right to complain.

He's ours now, so I want to see Shawn Marion of old come back to life. I hope he has it in him still. If he plays well and shows heart he will be appreciated.

Thanks for pointing that 'heart' factor out because that is exactly what JO did. Honestly I do believe he came for the sole purpose of gettin' Andrea better and that succeeded. That said also I'm glad Jamario is gone 0 heart. I like the deal for the Heat too because they NEEDED a center, but if they expect to get anything out of Jamario...they are sorely mistaken. Why? Hes the tin man and lion combined (0 heart 0 courage)

canzano55
02-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Man the more I think about these picks and Moon - the more stupid BC is in my eyes.Explain that?

Big Game Son
02-13-2009, 07:08 PM
id like to see him use around 8-10M to lock up marvin williams

Bingo was his Name-o!

td0tsfinest
02-13-2009, 07:20 PM
im pissed off we gave a draft pick too..but im sure we'll make the playoffs somewhere in the next 5 years

The Wise 1
02-13-2009, 07:25 PM

Thx.

Another way to look at it is that we traded 2 1st round picks, Ford, Rasho and Baston (11 mill in expiring contracts) and Moon and didnt get 1 piece to add to the core of Andrea, Jose and Bosh. But we managed to acquire another Yogi contract. Its gonna be cool to see Banks in a suit for the next 3 years collecting close to 5 mill a season.

Just out of curiosity, was BC the one who gave him that contract?

canzano55
02-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Its gonna be cool to see Banks in a suit for the next 3 years collecting close to 5 mill a season.
Why is he injured?

DaoudS
02-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Explain that?

BC started off giving up depth for an injured player. Now once again he gives up depth, albeit limited, as well as the potential of 2 draft picks going to Miami for Marion. If he was going to through in the pick, even if it is conditional, he should've found another suitor for Banks and not given up Moon.

I am interested to see how Calengelo tries to fix the team in the offseason, i just don't see BC lasting if next season flops.

deaner
02-13-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm going to wait for BC to explain this one... I don't like it. I can't believe moon was involved let alone a pick (or two). Tell me why we just didn't get marbury and lee... And not have dead weight in banks? We could have been completely clean of all contracts next year.

The Wise 1
02-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Why is he injured?

No because he sucks. He might not be in a suit but he will be getting DNPCD's left right and centre. Hes not going to be a key piece if we are good.

You think other wise?

ink
02-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, was BC the one who gave him that contract?

No, Mike D'Antoni gave it to him. Mike D's signature move as a GM. lol. That's why he's a coach.

ink
02-13-2009, 07:32 PM
BC started off giving up depth for an injured player. Now once again he gives up depth, albeit limited, as well as the potential of 2 draft picks going to Miami for Marion. If he was going to through in the pick, even if it is conditional, he should've found another suitor for Banks and not given up Moon.

I am interested to see how Calengelo tries to fix the team in the offseason, i just don't see BC lasting if next season flops.

I don't see the Raptors lasting if BC flops.

Big Game Son
02-13-2009, 07:34 PM

I don't see anything good happening from flopping. Look at soccer you just get red cards.......flopping pans out badly.

Side note: I didn't realize Mike D made that contract..... positive is people forgot he did such a good job coaching...everyone has their moments. lol!

DaoudS
02-13-2009, 07:40 PM

nah I see the raptors lasting because there is money to be made here. People will go see the team regardless IMO. the only good thing MLSE does is keep teams in Toronto.

Bramaca
02-13-2009, 07:53 PM
I find this sad and funny. when the rumors first came out I remember people suggesting that the Heat should throw more into the deal to make it work or to take on Kapono. I said that the Raps would likely have to take a bad contract, throw in an expiring, and give up a 1st rounder and the response from some posters was that I was out of my mind.

I am not excited about this deal at all. BC is putting a few wins and consistent early exits from the playoffs ahead of building a team. I'll be interested to see what he does with the cap space and the 1st rounder this summer. The only bonus to giving up a future 1st rounder in this trade is that BC can't trade this years pick away.

Now its time for the next trade, I think BC will have one more before the deadline. My call is Soloman for a 2nd rounder or a small expiring.

The Claw
02-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Draft Picks (crap shoot unless its the first 2 picks) vs. Money and Caps Space for Free Agency.

I pick the latter.

canzano55
02-13-2009, 08:22 PM
BC started off giving up depth for an injured player. The depth wasn't really worth that much. TJ is a solid point guard but the anguish he caused didn't equal his quality. And Rasho was overpaid.

Now once again he gives up depth, albeit limited, as well as the potential of 2 draft picks going to Miami for Marion. If he was going to through in the pick, even if it is conditional, he should've found another suitor for Banks and not given up Moon.I'm against the Banks acquisition as much as anybody else, but we did get 3 million back to help pay for it and honestly he can't be worse then Soloman which is a plus for our depth. The pick is a crapshoot in every sense of the word; we don't know its value or when the HEat will get to use it and/or the second round bonus. Its a none issue until we become really good and then at the point we shouldn't really care.

I am interested to see how Calengelo tries to fix the team in the offseason, i just don't see BC lasting if next season flops.Honestly, I think you can say that about most GM's in the league today, the infamous and famous.

canzano55
02-13-2009, 08:25 PM
No because he sucks. He might not be in a suit but he will be getting DNPCD's left right and centre. Hes not going to be a key piece if we are good.

You think other wise?Anything can happen. I thought Joey was going to be an NBA afterthought until just recently.

SammyJ
02-13-2009, 09:47 PM

According to TSN $3 Mill

B2B
02-13-2009, 09:58 PM
According to TSN $3 Mill

Players can be traded for cash, and cash can be included in trade packages. The amount of cash is limited to $3 million. The cash is NOT considered when matching salaries under the Traded Player exception.

In a sign-and-trade arrangement, if the contract contains a signing bonus, then any amount of this bonus paid by the signing team counts toward the $3 million limit

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q82

CB4AB7VC15
02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
we can just buy a pick (20 to 30) with 3 million.

The Wise 1
02-13-2009, 10:08 PM
I am not excited about this deal at all. BC is putting a few wins and consistent early exits from the playoffs ahead of building a team.

I like this line. I was gonna say the same thing but struggled with the wording. It seems to me thats hes trying to win now instead of building a proper team. A core of Andrea, Jose and bosh just isnt good enough imo.

canzano55
02-14-2009, 12:28 AM
I like this line. I was gonna say the same thing but struggled with the wording. It seems to me thats hes trying to win now instead of building a proper team. A core of Andrea, Jose and bosh just isnt good enough imo.How about we retain them and then see what they evolve into when they hit their prime. If its not good enough we scrap it and start over like we've done many a time.

(Bosh might make it easy for all of us and decide to walk regardless but we'll have to wait and see.)

killersweet
02-14-2009, 08:28 AM
The depth wasn't really worth that much. TJ is a solid point guard but the anguish he caused didn't equal his quality. And Rasho was overpaid.
I'm against the Banks acquisition as much as anybody else, but we did get 3 million back to help pay for it and honestly he can't be worse then Soloman which is a plus for our depth. The pick is a crapshoot in every sense of the word; we don't know its value or when the HEat will get to use it and/or the second round bonus. Its a none issue until we become really good and then at the point we shouldn't really care.
Honestly, I think you can say that about most GM's in the league today, the infamous and famous.

Excellent points:-)

Bob_at_york
02-14-2009, 11:48 AM
we can just buy a pick (20 to 30) with 3 million.

Definitely true with teams probably wanting to save money next year.

raps14
02-16-2009, 08:34 PM
:confused::confused::confused:Did we trade this years pick to miami or next years. if it was this years pick i think that is sooooooooooooo dumb. tell me the details please!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Diego_Le
02-16-2009, 08:41 PM
the pick we give them is between 2010-1014 i believe but they only get the pick after we make the playoffs

More shats!
02-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Conditional draft pick: tMy man Ira at the Sun-Sentinel reports it's a 2010 pick lottery protected through 2014. If Toronto doesn't make the 2010 playoffs and keeps the pick, they will give up a second rounder that year to the Heat. If the Raptors don't make the playoffs between 2010 and 2014, they wouldd give up their 2015 first-round choice to Miami.

From Doug Smith Blog.http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/2009/02/some-numbers-and-some-early-reaction-to-the-raptor-deal.html

raps14
02-16-2009, 08:46 PM
thank god

B2theRY
02-16-2009, 11:10 PM
why we still talking about this 1st round pick
there are like 10 threads about people *****ing about it. :)

Ragun
02-16-2009, 11:11 PM
yeah next year

iHop
02-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Y do we keep giving away our draft picks ??

ChongInc.
02-17-2009, 01:10 AM
i see nothing wrong with that, and it also proves that Brian is planning on rebuilding after 2010, if this experiment doesn't work like he plans.
i sooooo hope it works, and i really think it will if he resigns Marion next season.
fingers crossed.