PDA

View Full Version : UNC Hype Machine in Full Effect

Padres Son
02-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Anyone else notice how UNC is once again everyone's pick to win it all and is pretty much widely regarded as the best team in the country just because of its win over a Duke team that may not even deserve to be in the top 10?

Meanwhile UConn posts a huge win over Syracuse without their 2nd best scorer and defender (Jerome Dyson) who may be out for the rest of the season, and nobody seems to care. UConn blew the doors off 5th ranked Louisville last week, and the media barely notices. I guarantee UNC will steal first-place votes from Connecticut in the polls this week -- and that's a shame. UNC is a great team and should be the 2nd or 3rd ranked team in the country, but based on what has happened so far this season, the focus should be on Connecticut.

UConn is 23-1
UNC is 22-2

UConn is 8-1 vs Top 25 teams
UNC is 4-1 vs Top 25 teams

UConn has out of conference wins against Miami, Gonzaga, Wisconsin and Michigan.
UNC has out of conference wins against Kentucky, Notre Dame, Michigan St., and Nevada.

They both handily beat the two opponents they have in common (Miami and Rutgers).

I realize that this is the way the media works... that UNC is the "sexier" team, but as a UConn fan, I find it frustrating that UNC gets SO much love while UConn still isn't being taken very seriously.

Agree? Disagree?

JakeDelbreezy
02-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Heel's fan here. UConn is ranked #1 in the country. Thabeet is getting mad love from everywhere. Not sure what else you want. UConn has one more win that UNC, that doesn't mean they're much better than them if any better than them. The truth is every fan thinks their own team gets a raw deal in the media b/c they tend to only focus on the negative things said about their own team. Plus when you get on a forum like this you have people talking so much trash you feel you've gotta defend your team at the drop of a hat....the fact is UConn is one of the premier teams in the country..but UNC is too......plain and simple, when you have two great teams there is going to be debate..

thegreatone08
02-13-2009, 04:28 PM
People are looking at UNC as the favorite again because they put up 101 points on Duke's "outstanding" defense. Including 57 in the second half I believe.

I would love to see UConn and UNC play for the NC. Thabeet talked so much trash about Hansbrough and the oger from ND before the season started, I would love to see that match up.

Padres Son
02-13-2009, 05:35 PM
People are looking at UNC as the favorite again because they put up 101 points on Duke's "outstanding" defense. Including 57 in the second half I believe. True... but they gave up 87 points. UNC has the 2nd ranked scoring offense and the 269th ranked defense. UConn has the 32nd ranked offense and 29th ranked defense.

I would love to see UConn and UNC play for the NC. Thabeet talked so much trash about Hansbrough and the oger from ND before the season started, I would love to see that match up.I want to see that really bad. Classic battle of great offense versus great defense.

I didn't like how Thabeet talked trash about Hansbrough and Harangody. He should have kept his mouth shut.

thegreatone08
02-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Carolina can play defense when they want to. They just never seem to want to for a full game.

Carolina's style of play is to tire the opposing team. They want to get out and run the fast break. The only problem with that is they have trouble playing D after a made basketball. Just look at the Maryland game (a team that scored more points than Duke against the Heels).

UConn is really the only team that worries me for Carolina come tournament time. If they do meet up I would like to see how Carolina works Hansbrough. He has always had trouble against taller defenders but seems to always get his points. I wouldn't be suprised to see them spread the court to get Thabeet away from under the basket. If Lawson plays like he did the 2nd half of the Duke game, they won't lose again this year.

Rtardz
02-14-2009, 10:41 AM
I think UConn should remain number one until they lose, I dont wanna be given it. Carolina has never been really known for superb defense. They are scorers, and on most nights they dont have to play defense because 9/10 times the other team isn`t gonnna be able to score a 100 points along with us. I dont care about if we are #2 in offense and #269 in defense. When it comes tourney time almost every time has a chance to make something special.

YankeePride13
02-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Well...they lost.

I'm still wondering how someone can think they're not getting any love yet they were the #1 team in the country....

Padres Son
02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah, well they lost their second leading scorer and their best player was in foul trouble the whole game. Not making excuses... they lost to a very good Pitt team that was ranked #4.

If you think UConn gets anywhere near as much pub as UNC then you aren't watching the same channels or reading the same websites I am.

I've watched a lot of both UConn and UNC's games this year. In my opinion, they're the two best teams in the country. My problem with the media (not UNC) was how everyone couldn't wait to write stories about how UNC is the best team in the country after they beat Duke. But meanwhile UConn was still number one, had a better record, more quality wins, more wins against the top 25, and played in a better conference. Yet all you heard about was how great UNC is.

The point is moot now that UConn lost to Pitt and lost one of its best players, but it's just like the difference between the Mets and the Yankees. It doesn't matter if the Mets are the better team with the better record, the Yankees are always going to be the top story.

Rtardz
02-19-2009, 12:44 AM
well its because one team is more interesting than the other. Yankees are more intriguing and interesting, more stories to pull from than the mets. Just like the Heels and Uconn. Carolina and Duke will get alot of pub in basketball due to our winning tradition, big name players and every year we are in the hunt for a championship. Its all about what draws ratings.