PDA

View Full Version : Casual Basketball fan question

Eagles_Guy
02-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Hey guys and gals, I'm mainly a football fan, but also watch the NBA playoffs every year as well.

I know most of the players of the teams that go deeper into the playoffs in the last like 5 years like the Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, Pistons etc.

Just wondering who you guys feel are the teams to watch this season heading into the playoffs. I live in Canada so we don't get a ton of reg season games broadcast but they do carry most playoff games. I know the Celtics, Lakers and Cavs are at the top of the league right now, which is kinda expected I guess. I know all the seeds are yet to be decided

I guess what I'm asking is Who are the sleepers heading down the stretch?

Fireworld
02-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Whatever you do, don't jump on a bandwagon. Choose a team with players you like and follow them till they get good. Start out with the Raptors! There an ok/playoff team who will eventually contend someday! Following a bad team to a championship is SWEET!!! WARNING: This may take 10 years! :p

DerekRE_3
02-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Hey guys and gals, I'm mainly a football fan, but also watch the NBA playoffs every year as well.

I know most of the players of the teams that go deeper into the playoffs in the last like 5 years like the Celtics, Lakers, Spurs, Pistons etc.

Just wondering who you guys feel are the teams to watch this season heading into the playoffs. I live in Canada so we don't get a ton of reg season games broadcast but they do carry most playoff games. I know the Celtics, Lakers and Cavs are at the top of the league right now, which is kinda expected I guess. I know all the seeds are yet to be decided

I guess what I'm asking is Who are the sleepers heading down the stretch?

The Nuggets have been great this year, definitely pay attention to them. They aren't a sleeper team, but they didn't have the greatest expectations coming into this year.

The Jazz are another team, if they can get healthy and click at the right time, they can beat a lot of teams in the West. I guess they would be my "sleeper" right now.

In the East, my bold prediction is that the Bobcats steal the 8th seed. They have been playing pretty good basketball and have made some great trades and now have depth on their bench. Raja Bell and Gerald Wallace will be returning from injury once the All Star break is done, so look for them to make a push.

Pitty'09
02-13-2009, 12:29 AM
the only team that could sneak up is orlando. And not because their really a "sleeper" team, its just other teams in the East get a lot more love. This year seems pretty clear as far as who is really good and who isnt. So No one will just come out of left field to contend. The good teams r good and the bad teams r bad this year.

Lakers09
02-13-2009, 12:30 AM
the blazers are the young guns out west look out for them in the next few years

GSW fan
02-13-2009, 12:42 AM
dont forget about the Spurs...

just a reminder: it's an odd year

elnino9
02-13-2009, 12:59 AM
if ur looking for a team to follow in the future, id watch look in the same town as ur football team, the sixers. theyve got some very promising young talent and have been played well evern after losing elton brand. id watch out for them (not to mention that im a sixers fan) :)

GoatMilk
02-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Denver's the closest thing to a sleeper you can get this year I think

GunFactor187
02-13-2009, 01:58 AM
The Pistons will win it all.

hotpotato1092
02-13-2009, 02:21 AM
Sleepers? Thunder and Wizards
conference winners? Lakers and Celtics, it's destiny.

lakerboy
02-13-2009, 02:38 AM
My "dark horse" used to be Houston. But with Tmac limping again with an injury, I don't see any dark horses in the West. Okay,.. maybe Dallas (especially if they trade) or Denver.

In the East, I'm thinking Miami, Charlotte, and Chicago. These teams are a trade away from being a good team.

If I were you I'd be hitting on the news/rumors the next two weeks. The trade deadline is around the corner,.. and Amare Stoudamire is definitely going to be traded.

Sport
02-13-2009, 03:02 AM
I would give the sleeper nod to Denver/Dallas. Its hard for me to give it to Utah considering I had them as one of the best teams in the NBA before the season.

michaelbt18
02-13-2009, 05:25 AM
if ur looking for a team to follow in the future, id watch look in the same town as ur football team, the sixers. theyve got some very promising young talent and have been played well evern after losing elton brand. id watch out for them (not to mention that im a sixers fan) :)

I like the sixers, Thadeus and Andre are athletic freaks

michaelbt18
02-13-2009, 05:26 AM
the blazers are the young guns out west look out for them in the next few years

As long as they keep as many of their players together as possible they will be very good in the future.

Faneik
02-13-2009, 07:36 AM
The Pistons will win it all.

lol

jrodmesche
02-13-2009, 08:47 AM
look for miami in the end as a contender

DrDEADalready
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM
For me the biggest suprise is how well Denver is doing and Portland .
Also Watch for Utah when they get healthy are going to be making big push.