PDA

View Full Version : How would your team fair under a salary cap?

nithanyo
02-12-2009, 11:59 PM
No this is not a 'we want salary cap thread'. I created this to find out how many ppl find there team will do good, how many find there teams will struggle and why? As a fan of a smaller market team(Jays) i believe my team would thrive. We would not be too far away from free agent bidding wars and we wouldnt have to worry about our talent leaving for far more money than we can offer. I believe it puts the game on an even playing field....atleast in the view of a blue jays fan

nymetsrule
02-13-2009, 12:01 AM
What would the cap be?

The team would do fine, the players would just make less money...

mdlr52192
02-13-2009, 12:02 AM
im a fan of the marlins so i think they do well under a salary cap. i hope all the yankee fans pick the 2nd option lol

Pitty'09
02-13-2009, 12:10 AM
my team is SF, and while they have money, they r the ultimate cry"we dont have the money" team. So a cap would keep teams closer to us.

tjp2033
02-13-2009, 12:17 AM
what would the cap be? If it were say 120 million the phillies would be a little over at this moment but knowing there was a 120 million dollar cap, i think most teams would be fine. Except for the Yankees, Mets, and Red Sox. Maybe the Angels too, I don't know what their payroll is.

misterd
02-13-2009, 12:26 AM
The Yanks would do fine. There are still plenty of teams that would keep their payroll at the major league minimum. The Yanks would simply invest more into their scouting and player development, and be a little more cautious as to who they gave their money to.

Something to consider -

With a salary cap, player salaries would be somewhat surpressed. That would make it more important for players to get money through endorsements, merchandising, etc, and in that area, the Yanks still provide one of, if not the, best opportunities in the game.

Pharoe18
02-13-2009, 12:37 AM
my team would be awesome. Way under the salary cap with a lot of cheap talent.

marlins

thawv
02-13-2009, 12:45 AM
If there's a cap................there has to be a floor also.

hotpotato1092
02-13-2009, 12:45 AM
mets, wouldn't do well

tymonic1
02-13-2009, 12:57 AM
any team other than ny bos ny la would be better off

Yankees213
02-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Let's see, being one of the Yankee fans who hates all the big spending, I wouldn't be against a Salary Cap. I think the Yankees would find a way to make it work. Of course, if they randomly implemented a Cap for the start of '09 or '10, we would be screwed.

Let's say the cap is 120 million for the '09 season. And assuming we can go back in time and undo some of the signings your team made (how else am I gonna fit 120 mil?).

Here's my squad:

C-Jorge Posada (13.1)
1B-Nick Swisher (5.3)
2B-Robinson Cano (6)
SS-Derek Jeter (20)
3B-Alex Rodriguez (32)
LF-Melky Cabrera (1.4)
CF-Brett Gardner (0.39)
RF-Xavier Nady (6.55)
DH-Hideki Matsui (13)

Bench

Jose Molina (2)
Cody Ransom (0.45)
Juan Miranda (0.4)
Shelley Duncan (0.39)

SP-Chien-Ming Wang (5)
SP-Andy Pettitte (5.5)
SP-Joba Chamberlain (0.39)
SP-Phil Hughes (0.4)
SP-Alfredo Aceves (0.39)

RP-Mariano Rivera (15)
RP-Damaso Marte (3.75)
RP-Brian Bruney (1.25)
RP-Jose Veras (0.39)
RP-Edwar Ramirez (0.39)
RP-Phil Coke (0.4)
RP-Ian Kennedy (0.4)

That's without acquiring anyone, and getting rid of Damon, CC, AJ and Teixeira. TOTAL: 134.24. Still don't make it, wow. And that's not a very good team, way too many questions. To be honest, I would get rid of A-Rod. It's impossible to work with a 32 million dollar salary. That being said, many players would have to take serious paycuts.

The Yanks have basically screwed themselves anyways with all the contracts they dished out this winter.

mlisica19
02-13-2009, 01:15 AM
eh i guess it depends. But idk how much we paying guys on the METS. I mean we practically stole K-rod, and i dont think any of our hitters ar egettin TOO PAID. And johan Santana is on the top 10 for highest paid i think. Idk, if i had to guess it would be a fine with the salary

elnino9
02-13-2009, 01:28 AM
im not positive but i believe the angels r around 115-120 mil. i think we would do fine. anyone but the ny teams and boston.

cambovenzi
02-13-2009, 01:33 AM
its really hard to tell.
obviously if there was a cap, teams would make more cap conscious moves.

it would also depend on what the cap would be.

my team, the mets, have a higher end payroll.
so i voted the 2nd option.

cambovenzi
02-13-2009, 01:42 AM
im not positive but i believe the angels r around 115-120 mil. i think we would do fine. anyone but the ny teams and boston.

13 teams had a team salary over 98 mill last year. excluding the yanks(209M), the next highest salary was the TIGERS at 138M.
the angels came in 6th at 119M. right near the highest teams...

it really would depend on what the cap # would be.
if teams were forced to cut players/salary, it would be very hard to analyze who would be the best among the highest paid teams. (we'd have to look up individual salaries, etc.)
the lower payrolled teams that suck, would probably still suck to a degree, while higher paid good teams would still have some good players around.

2009mvp
02-13-2009, 01:42 AM
Let's see, being one of the Yankee fans who hates all the big spending, I wouldn't be against a Salary Cap. I think the Yankees would find a way to make it work. Of course, if they randomly implemented a Cap for the start of '09 or '10, we would be screwed.

Let's say the cap is 120 million for the '09 season. And assuming we can go back in time and undo some of the signings your team made (how else am I gonna fit 120 mil?).

Here's my squad:

C-Jorge Posada (13.1)
1B-Nick Swisher (5.3)
2B-Robinson Cano (6)
SS-Derek Jeter (20)
3B-Alex Rodriguez (32)
LF-Melky Cabrera (1.4)
CF-Brett Gardner (0.39)
RF-Xavier Nady (6.55)
DH-Hideki Matsui (13)

Bench

Jose Molina (2)
Cody Ransom (0.45)
Juan Miranda (0.4)
Shelley Duncan (0.39)

SP-Chien-Ming Wang (5)
SP-Andy Pettitte (5.5)
SP-Phil Hughes (0.4)
SP-Alfredo Aceves (0.39)

RP-Mariano Rivera (15)
RP-Damaso Marte (3.75)
RP-Brian Bruney (1.25)
RP-Jose Veras (0.39)
RP-Edwar Ramirez (0.39)
RP-Phil Coke (0.4)
RP-Ian Kennedy (0.4)

That's without acquiring anyone, and getting rid of Damon, CC, AJ and Teixeira. TOTAL: 134.24. Still don't make it, wow. And that's not a very good team, way too many questions. To be honest, I would get rid of A-Rod. It's impossible to work with a 32 million dollar salary. That being said, many players would have to take serious paycuts.

The Yanks have basically screwed themselves anyways with all the contracts they dished out this winter.

:speechless: You would get rid of one of the top 3 hitters in the game instead of the aging, barely-capable-defensively SS who's making $20M?

mnrlgry
02-13-2009, 02:30 AM

Here's my squad:

C-Jorge Posada (13.1)
1B-Nick Swisher (5.3)
2B-Robinson Cano (6)
SS-Derek Jeter (20)
3B-Alex Rodriguez (32)
LF-Melky Cabrera (1.4)
CF-Brett Gardner (0.39)
RF-Xavier Nady (6.55)
DH-Hideki Matsui (13)

Bench

Jose Molina (2)
Cody Ransom (0.45)
Juan Miranda (0.4)
Shelley Duncan (0.39)

SP-Chien-Ming Wang (5)
SP-Andy Pettitte (5.5)
SP-Phil Hughes (0.4)
SP-Alfredo Aceves (0.39)

RP-Mariano Rivera (15)
RP-Damaso Marte (3.75)
RP-Brian Bruney (1.25)
RP-Jose Veras (0.39)
RP-Edwar Ramirez (0.39)
RP-Phil Coke (0.4)
RP-Ian Kennedy (0.4)

If/when a cap is introduced I'm sure there'll be a grace period like they did with the nfl/nba/nhl.

It's hard to say who would do better or worse. The Yankee's wouldn't automatically do worse just because they spend a lot now. But within five years or so you'd really see who had the good front offices.

I think my own team, the Cardinals, would do well. They spend around 100+ every year so they'd be near the cap anyway and we have a very good farm system. I don't think it would make our own team any better or worse, but I think the team would do better because of the fact that the Phillies/Cubs/Mets would be a little more limited in who they sign. Especially the Cubs since they have a god awful farm system, we would benefit more from their demise then anything.

Drucifer
02-13-2009, 02:53 AM
The teams paying the luxury tax haven't won.

Will there also be a profit cap?