PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawks and Penguins Discussing Blockbuster Trade?

cubsbears1225
02-12-2009, 04:09 PM
It was reported on ESPN 1000 in Chicago that the Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago Blackhawks are discussing a trade that would send forward Martin Havlat to Pittsburgh for center Jordan Staal.

There had been discussions last week that the Blackhawks were trying to get an extension done with Havlat but there has not been any news of progress in those talks.

This trade is interesting in that it might solve problems that both teams have in their top six forwards. The Blackhawks are not content with their current center situation that has Kris Versteeg, normally a wing, playing the second line center position and having no center (besides Jonathan Toews) that is good in the face off dot.
Author Poll

Staal would provide the Blackhawks with that second line center that they desperately need, not from a points perspective, but from a face off and defensive perspective.

Staal is a natural center unlike Versteeg and would be a much needed improvement in the face off circle as he boasts a 47.6 face off percentage, more than four percent more than Versteeg and Bolland.

The Penguins are in need of a top six winger who can play with Sidney Crosby, who has been paired with the likes of Mirosav Satan and Ruslan Fedetenko. I think Martin Havlat would be a perfect fit for Crosby as he is a play-maker with soft hands and a great scoring touch.

Could Martin Havlat be this year's Marian Hossa for the Penguins? No but Havlat is a high-skill player and he could provide a similar spark to the Penguins first line that Hossa provided.

In my mind this trade just won't happen, Staal just signed an extension earlier this season and Havlat will be a free agent at the end of the season. It could make sense if Havlat agrees to an extension with the Penguins but then we get into the "what ifs".

It could be beneficial for both teams and as a Blackhawks fan I would really love it but do I think it will happen? I really don't think so.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/123067-hawk-shots-blackhawks-and-penguins-discussing-blockbuster-trade

cubsbears1225
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
This deal makes perfect sense for both teams imo.

The penguins need a top 6 Forward and the Hawks need a 2nd line center

33nfnhl
02-12-2009, 04:47 PM
If Havlat was under contract I would say do it!!

cubsbears1225
02-12-2009, 04:52 PM
If Havlat was under contract I would say do it!!

but Havlat could be this years version of Hossa

slyguy7
02-12-2009, 05:04 PM
first get the extension for havlat. if he doesnt agree with an extension then we dont trade for him

jmiller26
02-12-2009, 05:31 PM
No way this trade will go down unless Chicago adds some more draft picks/prospects. Not only is Havlat not signed, but he gets injured way too often.

slyguy7
02-12-2009, 05:37 PM
true we shld get a high pick. mayb we can get a bigger trade and they can put ladd or versteeg

swissle
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Staal is worth more in this league than Havlat.

bartlett2266
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
^ ya i def think chi will have to up the ante to get staal

bartlett2266
02-12-2009, 05:56 PM
if shero wont trade staal straight up for nathon horton who is bigger stronger tougher younger, healthier and signed for the next 3 years then he wont do it for havlat

yankees_boi
02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
pittsburgh shouldnt make this trade because they signed staal to a long contract earlier this year and if the penguins couldnt resign havlat he will just bolt on the penguins like hossa did. i say dont do it

SidTheKid
02-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Don't trade Staal :pray:

cubsbears1225
02-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Havlat has been playing on the Hawks 3rd line for most of the season pairing up with Bolland and Ladd.

For those of you who think the Penguins wold be getting more for Staal need to lay off Michael Phelps' bong.

Player GP A G PTS +/-
Havlat 52 17 25 42 +11
Staal 56 15 15 30 -5

bartlett2266
02-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Havlat is a band aid hes a small hit away from a 3rd major shoulder surgey, staal is a 20 year play with who has great size potential and hockey sense hesalready made it furher into the playoffs then havlat, and is only going to get better, uve just said havlat is a 3rd liner why would we trade staal for a guy u dont need

jmiller26
02-13-2009, 12:22 AM
You can't compare Staal's numbers to Havlat's. Like you mentioned before, Staal is not paid to put up huge numbers, nor is he a stat machine. He has all the intangibles, which makes him very valuable.

cubsbears1225
02-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Havlat is a band aid hes a small hit away from a 3rd major shoulder surgey, staal is a 20 year play with who has great size potential and hockey sense hesalready made it furher into the playoffs then havlat, and is only going to get better, uve just said havlat is a 3rd liner why would we trade staal for a guy u dont need

Havlat is not a 3rd liner, he just happens to play on the best 3rd line in the NHL. Havlat is a 1st line winger but is used differently in the Blackhawks lineup. The Blackhawks do need Havlat but if they have to give him up to secure that 2nd line center then thats what they will have to do.

ShaunRiching9
02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
but Havlat could be this years version of Hossa

which meeans he leaves at the end of the season, no deal

pittspens71
02-14-2009, 11:40 AM
now patrick sharp and either high draft pick or high level prospect. i would really hope ladd would come to the burgh. but if anyone comes from chicago i want sharp.

ShaunRiching9
02-14-2009, 04:07 PM
all i know is that we need to make some moves at the dealine to get a godo winger

jzelenda
02-14-2009, 04:10 PM
but if anyone comes from chicago i want sharp.

While we're dreaming, Sharp and Kane for Bissonette, straight up.

Dkupal
02-14-2009, 11:07 PM
how about staal for kane straight up?