PDA

View Full Version : Are injuries ruining the NBA this season?

oldenpolynice
02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't mean ruining as in "the whole league is ruined!" because obviously there are a ton of great players who are still healthy and competing. But if you think about it, 4 teams have already been grossly affected by the injury bug. (Orlando, LA Lakers, Milwaukee and Minnesota). And one more, Dallas, suffered a pretty big injury to Jason Terry as well.

When great players get injured, does it negatively affect the league beyond just the markets for the player that is injured?

I think so.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/02/12/why-injuries-are-ruining-the-nba-this-season/

YankeeFan89
02-12-2009, 02:49 PM
ruining fantasy basketball owners..i tell you that..

I think it is ruining the NBA season...never seen so many stars go down and all stars replaced in the all star game.

Faneik
02-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't mean ruining as in "the whole league is ruined!" because obviously there are a ton of great players who are still healthy and competing. But if you think about it, 4 teams have already been grossly affected by the injury bug. (Orlando, LA Lakers, Milwaukee and Minnesota). And one more, Dallas, suffered a pretty big injury to Jason Terry as well.

When great players get injured, does it negatively affect the league beyond just the markets for the player that is injured?

I think so.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/02/12/why-injuries-are-ruining-the-nba-this-season/

Wizards?...

oldenpolynice
02-12-2009, 02:54 PM

I think it is ruining the NBA season...never seen so many stars go down and all stars replaced in the all star game.

I agree. So many big stars, too. Not just your garden variety role players.

Though I have to say I think Ray Allen going to the All-Star Game is an upgrade over Jameer Nelson. Ray deserved to go in the first place (as did Mo Williams).

oldenpolynice
02-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Wizards?...

The Gil injury happened so long ago, I feel like it deserves it's own category. You can definitely add the Wizards to the list of the walking wounded though. After all, that's what cost Eddie Jordan his job.

DerekRE_3
02-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Injuries can be a good thing for some parties. For example, Carlos Boozer getting hurt has done wonders for Paul Millsap, and having Millsap have a breakout year is good for the NBA. It's a good story, 2nd round pick, went to a small school, etc.

Cracka2HI!
02-12-2009, 02:59 PM
No mention of my promising Clipps season being ruined?

YankeeFan89
02-12-2009, 03:04 PM
I agree. So many big stars, too. Not just your garden variety role players.

Though I have to say I think Ray Allen going to the All-Star Game is an upgrade over Jameer Nelson. Ray deserved to go in the first place (as did Mo Williams).

True the coaches made horrible decisions this year.

still1ballin
02-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes.............Bynum

Wilson
02-12-2009, 03:15 PM
The Cavaliers had some bad ones as well, as did the Spurs at the start of the year.

I don't know. Obviously it sucks to see so many good players go down, but one of the most interesting parts of sports (in my opinion) is how players and teams deal with adversity.

For the Lakers, having Bynum go down is one of the last things you want to see. But if we can deal with it and keep on moving forward, then when he gets back, we're going to be that much stronger. Odom wouldn't have broken out like he has done if Bynum never got hurt.

Bricklayer
02-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Fisrt season in a while where Kobe, Lebron and Wade are all healthy, the games biggest stars. So in that sense, the fans can't be disappointed.

AccUrSeD
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Al Jefferson Ruined my fantasy basketball dynasty...

pd7631
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Tell me about it....I have Al Jefferson, Elton Brand, Jameer Nelson, Zach Randolph

DrDEADalready
02-12-2009, 03:30 PM
There's one team and one team only that has been affected and pounded with Injuries all season and that's the JAZZ. Suprised no one has said us yet.

Westbrook36
02-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Elton Brand :(

Fire&Ice2&33
02-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Yes

bahama0811
02-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Injuries affect every team, it's just a matter of if they've plagued your team or not. Teams will either grow through injuries or just flat out lose it. It makes you see how well your FO has assembled their team.

JJ81
02-12-2009, 03:53 PM
It sucks that there are so many injuries. Especially to teams like Magic and the Lakers.

Hawkeye15
02-12-2009, 04:27 PM
only to the fans of the teams that have these injuries. As a Wolves fan, already looking at draft prospects

Kakaroach
02-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Wow what about the Utah Jazz lol. They have been the most injury hit this year by far with the Wizards in a close second.

DerekRE_3
02-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Personally I love to see how teams react to big injuries. Sometimes other players that you didn't know much about step up and really make a name for themselves.

Kakaroach
02-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Personally I love to see how teams react to big injuries. Sometimes other players that you didn't know much about step up and really make a name for themselves. Just like Paul Millsap. :D

oldenpolynice
02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Fisrt season in a while where Kobe, Lebron and Wade are all healthy, the games biggest stars. So in that sense, the fans can't be disappointed.

D-Wade is really the only one of those three whose health is ever in question. It's great to have him back at full strength. He does things that most other players can only dream of doing.

You're right. That's one positive in a league rampant with injuries.

Side note: all apologies to the Utah fans. Didn't mean to neglect you in the injury discussion. Suffering injuries to D-Will AND Boozer AND AK-47 in the same season is brutal. Like Derek said, though, those injuries have allowed Paul Millsap to shine. He's been amazing this season.

DerekRE_3
02-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Just like Paul Millsap. :D

Exactly like Paul Millsap, I mentioned that earlier in the thread actually.

Or I remember when Bonzi Wells went down with an injury when he played for the Kings. That lead to Kevin Martin starting, and after only averaging 2.9 ppg and being left off the playoff roster his rookie year, he got 11 ppg in 26 minutes his 2nd year. Then the next year he got 20 ppg, then 23, and now hes getting around 24 ppg.

Sports Illustrator
02-12-2009, 07:30 PM
It's a part of sports unfortunately. It is something that is certainly bound to happen. It is a fact that there have been more injuries occurring in the NBA the last few seasons, which is a shame, but again we have to expect injuries to happen.

I don't wish anyone harm, but looking at the bright side, you do get to see many players getting opportunities to show what they can do while the primary players are injured. So I wouldn't say it is ruining the NBA.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
why would u mention the T-Wolves, and the Bucks... but not the Jazz?? Jazz were favored by some to win a title, bucks werent even seen to make the playoffs.

Crooks&Castles
02-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Yes.............Bynum

bru its bynumitice

S.J.Basketball
02-12-2009, 08:10 PM
EVERYONE seems injured this year.

DABEARS23
02-12-2009, 08:12 PM
not really gonna happen every season

oldenpolynice
02-12-2009, 09:19 PM
why would u mention the T-Wolves, and the Bucks... but not the Jazz?? Jazz were favored by some to win a title, bucks werent even seen to make the playoffs.

I see your point about the Jazz (you're right, they should have been included) but you're wrong about the Bucks. They were on pace to the make the playoffs. When Redd went down, they had a 1 1/2 game lead for the 8th spot in the East.

_Sn1P3r_
02-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Injuries happen but I think it was too much this year.

BroSweets
02-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Wizards?...

+1

I was just about to say that. We lost Gilbert Arenas, Etan Thomas, Andray Blatche, Brendan Haywood and now even Songaila is hurting...

So, for me, yes the NBA season has been ruined by injuries because outside of the Wiz I don't really care about any other teams.

oldenpolynice
02-13-2009, 02:12 AM
+1

I was just about to say that. We lost Gilbert Arenas, Etan Thomas, Andray Blatche, Brendan Haywood and now even Songaila is hurting...

So, for me, yes the NBA season has been ruined by injuries because outside of the Wiz I don't really care about any other teams.

C'mon, seriously? You're going to miss Darius Songaila? He's a decent player and all, but after the loss of all of those other guys (Gil, Thomas, Blatche, Haywood) does Songaila really matter?

montazingmvp
02-13-2009, 06:42 AM
some teams have had injuries, but the warriors have had...INJURIES. no joke, here are some stats:

azubuike missed 5 games
bellinelli missed 15 games
wright missed 20 games

those are just role players, now the injuries to key players:

biedrins missed 4 games
ellis missed 44 games
jackson missed 11 games
maggette missed 20 games

thats a lot of missing players...if my stats are correct, more than any other team. and look how they're playing now that we've got MOST of our players back. we've beaten the jazz, blazers, suns, and new orleans in the past week or so...

and that isn't even all the injuries

oldenpolynice
02-13-2009, 02:44 PM
some teams have had injuries, but the warriors have had...INJURIES. no joke, here are some stats:

azubuike missed 5 games
bellinelli missed 15 games
wright missed 20 games

those are just role players, now the injuries to key players:

biedrins missed 4 games
ellis missed 44 games
jackson missed 11 games
maggette missed 20 games

thats a lot of missing players...if my stats are correct, more than any other team. and look how they're playing now that we've got MOST of our players back. we've beaten the jazz, blazers, suns, and new orleans in the past week or so...

and that isn't even all the injuries

Can't count Ellis' self-inflicted moped injury in your list. Also, injuries are not as much a concern for the Warriors as other teams. Their team goes, like, 11 players deep. There's so much talent on that team that they can afford to have guys miss time.

Missing56&33
02-13-2009, 04:41 PM
no i dont think the injuries are ruining the nba season. injuries are a part of the game, i think the injuries are a result of hard play and effort. With every injury, an opportunity is given to another. John Starkssssssssss Allan Houston

Korman12
02-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Jazz, Rockets, Wizards, Bucks, Timberwolves, Raptors, Warriors, Mavericks, Lakers, Magic, Spurs, 76ers, Hornets, Nuggets, Hawks, Clippers, and The Kings have all been hit by injuries at some point in the season in one way or another.

It really seems to be piling on much more than usual.

oldenpolynice
02-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Jazz, Rockets, Wizards, Bucks, Timberwolves, Raptors, Warriors, Mavericks, Lakers, Magic, Spurs, 76ers, Hornets, Nuggets, Hawks, Clippers, and The Kings have all been hit by injuries at some point in the season in one way or another.

It really seems to be piling on much more than usual.

You just listed half of the teams in the NBA and all but two of the main championship contenders. That's so many injuries! Granted, not all of them have been crippling injuries, but still, that's a lot of teams affected this season.