PDA

View Full Version : Roko Finally Gets a Chance To Show What He Is Made Of

WeeWillyShivers
02-11-2009, 10:59 PM
I remember watching this kid when he was playing preseason games against the raps and thinking wow this kid is going to be great. I felt better at the time knowing that Toronto also had rights to him. At the start of this year I was excited to hear that Roko was finally coming to Toronto and imagined how great Calderon and Ukic could be together(so much alike but so different at the same time) , but I was equally disappointed to hear that we also brought in Will Solemon to compete for that role.

So I got over that and thought a little healthy competition can be good, so I started watching. To my disappointment it seemed Will was getting the majority of the minutes and not Roko, and any minutes Roko received seemed to go unnoticed. Then with the injury to Calderon always coming back we went to AP, I liked this move but still I felt we missed a chance at letting Roko show everyone what he can really do. The kid can make big shots, handles the ball great, and can shoot the 3 even though his record does not really indicate that(Probably because of lack of minutes and confidence). So I would like to hear if anyone else feels the same way, or not?

Calderon/Ukic

serratedmuffin
02-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Sounds like Ukic had a good game. I noticed he only had 3 assists. Anyone who watched the game know if he kinda took the ball and ran with it or what?
But his numbers are solid though. 9-13 FG, 2-3 3PT for 22 points with 2 rebounds and 3 assists.
One game does not make a career, though I also have to ask, did it look like he was really playing that well or did the shots just seem to be going his way?

BALLER R
02-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Sounds like Ukic had a good game. I noticed he only had 3 assists. Anyone who watched the game know if he kinda took the ball and ran with it or what?
But his numbers are solid though. 9-13 FG, 2-3 3PT for 22 points with 2 rebounds and 3 assists.
One game does not make a career, though I also have to ask, did it look like he was really playing that well or did the shots just seem to be going his way?

o man boy did u miss a good game...roko was doing it all he was penetrating and getting into the paint..it was't a fluke game for him if thats what your getting at

The_905
02-11-2009, 11:29 PM
he stole us that game.. hit a huge three when we were down four with a minute to go to make it 89-88 and then went right after tony parker to hit the game winning shot with 20 sec to go..

He looked sick.. really excited about this kids future especially with having a mentor in jose who will teach him how to play in the NBA.

xxepo
02-11-2009, 11:43 PM
This is not the first time he was clutch I remeber another game where he took over .. He has allot of potential and some great moves I hope he keeps on improving .

HoopsMachine
02-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Yea he played really well today, played solid D on Parker, showed no fear going to rack, and had the balls to take and make shots with the game on the line. Hopefully he can be more consistent the rest of the way and become a pace changer in the 2nd unit (similar to Ford/Calderon 06-07 season). Once he gets more experience and improves his shot he will become a solid PG.

LanceUpperCut
02-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Ya he looked really good tonite,and is really good at taking it hard to the rim.I know the season is looking pretty much done but with a nice rest for JC and Bosh and an easier sch. we might finish off the year with some fun games to watch at least.Roko does need more minute's and needs to be able to play through mistakes just like Bargn's needed and still does.

raptor25rs
02-11-2009, 11:58 PM
roko is gonna be good, with some improvements on his jumper, and by saying that just cause he improves his J's, doesn't mean he should rely on it too much, the kid can get to the rim at ease

T.O.Fan:)
02-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Maybe we should use Roko as our starting sg when jose returns ?

Bob_at_york
02-12-2009, 12:10 AM
I remember watching this kid when he was playing preseason games against the raps and thinking wow this kid is going to be great. I felt better at the time knowing that Toronto also had rights to him. At the start of this year I was excited to hear that Roko was finally coming to Toronto and imagined how great Calderon and Ukic could be together(so much alike but so different at the same time) , but I was equally disappointed to hear that we also brought in Will Solemon to compete for that role.

So I got over that and thought a little healthy competition can be good, so I started watching. To my disappointment it seemed Will was getting the majority of the minutes and not Roko, and any minutes Roko received seemed to go unnoticed. Then with the injury to Calderon always coming back we went to AP, I liked this move but still I felt we missed a chance at letting Roko show everyone what he can really do. The kid can make big shots, handles the ball great, and can shoot the 3 even though his record does not really indicate that(Probably because of lack of minutes and confidence). So I would like to hear if anyone else feels the same way, or not?

Calderon/Ukic

i think you are wrong about the bold part but beyond that i have been saying the same sort of thing for over a year now

Bob_at_york
02-12-2009, 12:12 AM

I am not sure if he will be ready for that this season but going forward I can see us trying this. Roko's length can help him defend some SGs and he can take his man off the dribble quite well.

LanceUpperCut
02-12-2009, 12:37 AM

Please don't start that yet it is just one game.Kid looks good but needs to learn from a healthy Calderon give him more minutes yes starter not even close. I see now you but SG .But still no.

SammyJ
02-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Here is a after game interview. Just like any European player, his English is not at the best. BUT I have to give him props for addressing the questions as it is asked. Many athletes in North America, loose the actual focal point of the question and answer with typical cliché. Like I was just being aggressive, playing hard 48 min, taking one play at a time, I was feeling it, etc....

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/teams/raptors/rweb-090211-ukic.asx

canzano55
02-12-2009, 01:02 AM
I just got back from the game and I have to say I was immensely impressed. Sure he got lucky with those two huge plays in the end but he showed he had the nerve to try and the result was singlehandedly winning us the game.

I think he might evolve into that Shawn Livingston paradox where you're not quite sure if he's a 1 or a 2 but as it stands he's by far our most potent player (who happens to be healthy) in terms of driving to the basket. Those mid air floaters might not seem like high percentage shots at first but he has such acute control mid air and plays with great momentum; Iverson makes similar plays and I wouldn't be surprised if Roko has molded part of his game after Allen Iverson.

SammyJ
02-12-2009, 01:11 AM
I think he is more like T. Parker. He has the quickness and floter/tear drop shot. Also his long range shooting is not just like he early days of parker. But ROKO is better FT shooter than Parker..

lorenz00
02-12-2009, 01:13 AM
roko ukic for mvp!!

ramz.n
02-12-2009, 01:51 AM
he stole us that game.. hit a huge three when we were down four with a minute to go to make it 89-88 and then went right after tony parker to hit the game winning shot with 20 sec to go..

He looked sick.. really excited about this kids future especially with having a mentor in jose who will teach him how to play in the NBA.

i hope you dont mean on the defensive end :p

koreancabbage
02-12-2009, 02:02 AM
no, quite fortunate, Roko is a much better defender because he has the quicks. Jose is just slow period.

ink
02-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Good game by Roko. Glad they've brought him along slowly this year. I think they've handled him perfectly. The kid doesn't have a game like this without the support he's had from management and the coaching staff. They deserve a lot of credit for this too -- and I bet he'd be the first to give it to them.

Dragan
02-12-2009, 02:21 AM
did not watch the game, but looks like ukic won the game game for us. I'm very happy for him and us. This season we might not make it to the playoffs but we might have brags ukic and ghram with breakout seasons.

GodsSon
02-12-2009, 03:29 AM
Coincidentally he played very well against the spurs, cause one player I can see quite a few similarities with is Manu...if he can develop a consistent J, and tighten up the other areas of his game, I really think he can fit a Giniobli-ish mould.

More shats!
02-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Roko reminds me of Tony Parker for some reason.He can get to the basket every time he wants and is very quick.I think trying him at SG is a very good idea but first he has to become a consistent shooter and get stronger.I think he is more of a scorer than a pure point anyway.

ROKO!

the life
02-12-2009, 08:05 AM
roko have the skills tony parker ginobli and iverson have.
i think he needs to improve the shot the range and the ball handling skills and he could be deadly.

the life
02-12-2009, 08:07 AM
though when people improve the shot and the range start to relay too much on it. so i would like him to be a good 16-18 ft shooter rather a three point shooter.

bartron_44
02-12-2009, 09:29 AM
I agree on the short range game, this game is far too undervalued these days. He has the teardrop, but he needs to be able to simply pull up after he crosses over on someone too, then he will be a true scorer...

I think he plays more like a SG on the offensive end, but is very valuable too us on the defensive side against opposing PG's like Tony Parker last night. NO WAY Jose..(lol) is able to stay in front of TP...

I know it is early, but due to his defense and superior quickness,I could see him developing into a better starter then Jose if he can develop his short range jump shot. Then Jose can go back to looking like an all-star running the second unit again, and keeping the offense going with quality looks. Just like I think Anthony Parker makes a better starting PG due to his defense.....I like jose, but we need someone who can stop the point of attack at least some of the time...

If Roko played with Parker, Parker could guard the SG, and Roko the PG, but then they could switch roles on offense and Parker could be the ball handler and Roko can just focus on his strength,....getting to the bucket!We should really test out Roko to see what we have there......(and Nathan Jawai..)

What do you guys think:
Starters:
--------
Ukic
Parker
Barg's
Bosh
O'Neal

We put the penetrating Ukic, with the 3 bigs so we have rebounders and people to dish to underneath who can finish.

Then we have a rediculous bench:

Calderon
Graham
Kapono(Off)/Moon(Def)
Graham/Jawai
Jawai/Voskuhl

raptors_fanatic
02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
all i got to say is that this guy is f'n CLUTCH! he has so much confidence in his game and i love that hes not afraid to do the things he does.....this kid will truly be a great player in this league

Bob_at_york
02-12-2009, 06:59 PM
all i got to say is that this guy is f'n CLUTCH! he has so much confidence in his game and i love that hes not afraid to do the things he does.....this kid will truly be a great player in this league

I have to agree with him having no fear, but I am going to hold out on calling him a clutch player or "a great player in this league". You have to remember there was a lot of luck involved in some of those plays.

blujaysrock
02-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Once Roko improves his jumpshot he will be insane

hades
02-12-2009, 07:19 PM
i really didnt think they(SAS) had no answer for rokos penetration.. his pretty quick off the dribble. woould love to see him develop like a toni parker.

Goon.Weezy
02-12-2009, 07:47 PM
he reminds me of tony parker. The way the can get into the paint easily, and drop that floater

deaner
02-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Please don't get me wrong... I'm chearing for Ukic, but he's a ways away yet. To me this just proves how starved we are for a wing who can drive and create. If we had one of these guys on our present team... I doubt anyone would be going so Ukic crazy right now. Let's let him develop at a proper pace... work on his body a bit, and learn from Jose. Do you realize how an Ellis would look on the raps team right now?

Jacob K.
02-12-2009, 09:42 PM
he always seemes to get a driving layup or two. hes tall for a pg so hard to defend

Kaptain Kanada
02-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves here?

Roko B. Ware

raptors_fanatic
02-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I have to agree with him having no fear, but I am going to hold out on calling him a clutch player or "a great player in this league". You have to remember there was a lot of luck involved in some of those plays.

I called him clutch cuz hes confident down the stretch (especially for a rookie whose not a go-to guy on the team)....and im not just talking bout that last game, i've seen it in other games too, but when he gets alot of minutes he plays better and is more consistent

plus i think he willbe a great player in this league....in time