PDA

View Full Version : Ohhh Snap!!! King james ruins 47 point night witha last second foul.

fairandbalanced
02-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I know you all have heard this by now, what do you guys think? personally I think there have always been last second fouls since the NBA was created but most fouls are not called. Why is this different than any other case? I believe Lebron probably think the refs would lets them play without calling a foul @ 0.01 secs left.

My personal believe is that the refs should have let it go.........or maybe he bet on the game and had to win at all cost because Cavs coach was miffed at the officiating all game.

Lakers09
02-11-2009, 04:22 PM
link?

fairandbalanced
02-11-2009, 04:23 PM
link?

Dude, do you really need a link for this? It happened just lastnight.

18colts29
02-11-2009, 04:23 PM
There was more contact when Lebron fouled Danny Granger on the last play, than there was 3 seconds earlier when Granger was called for a foul on Lebron. It was only right, it was the same kind of play with the same kind of foul, they had to call it. So I voted it was fair.

metsbulls1025
02-11-2009, 04:26 PM
He gets away wtih everything else. Hell the man makes up names for ways not to travel. Im surprised he didn't say, it wasn't a foul it was a love tap.

DrDEADalready
Wait what happened about 47points?

zamudio_jorge
Agreed with 18colts29.
Everytime the ref call against lebron or something against him everybody cry for him.

fairandbalanced
02-11-2009, 04:27 PM
He gets away wtih everything else. Hell the man makes up names for ways not to travel. Im surprised he didn't say, it wasn't a foul it was a love tap.

I agree.........I have noticed that the guy walks 90% of the time. He does it so much that the refs don't want to look silly calling everything

unwantedplayer
02-11-2009, 04:30 PM
The Pacers should have won either way. That foul on Granger was dumb. I think the refs knew they made a bad call so they let Granger get fouled on the last second.

18colts29
02-11-2009, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53oSYvwTZ_w

Heres the video, its around the 1:30 mark

Teeboy1487
02-11-2009, 04:40 PM
It disgusts me when the refs decide a game like that.

bahama0811
02-11-2009, 04:44 PM
So, we all want fouls called the rest of the game but when it decides a game we don't want it. A foul is a foul. The league needs to make the officiating more consistant.

philab
02-11-2009, 04:48 PM
To me, Granger's "foul" was worse.

Granger went through LeBron to get to the ball. Also, LeBron had a legitimate shot at actually tipping the ball in/dunking it.

LeBron went for the ball and got the ball, but happened to collide in with Granger in the process. Granger also had no real play on the ball except to slap it backwards in desperation.

That said, the difference between the two "fouls" is slight. Neither should have been called. The second stinks of a make-up call, which is ******** because it only propagates the error. On the other hand, it's hard to get upset as a Cavaliers fan when the first foul was pretty bogus too.

And to all those claiming LeBron gets preferential treatment from refs, here's yet another example of that being a farce.

Wilson
02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I saw the highlights, and it seemed fair to me. I didn't see the whole game, but Granger was called for a similar foul at the end of regulation. Congratulations to the Pacers, they've beaten the three best teams in the league now.

18colts29
02-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Well you have to look at it like this, if the foul wasnt called on Lebron, then that would have been the refs helping a star player out, which is even worse than giving a make up call. If there was no foul called on Granger a few seconds earlier, the game would have been over, the Pacers would of still won, and the would have been no controversy.

Lost Art
02-11-2009, 05:11 PM
It was a makeup call. They called a completely BS foul on Granger on the previous play with 0.8 seconds left and the Cavs down by 2. It was the same exact situation in both plays, the ball was up in the air and the defender had inside position, did a nice job on D, and yet the whistle blew. The officials knew that they botched the previous call and that there would be a whole lot of public outcry for the phantom foul that gave Lebron two shots..........so they decided to even things up with another BS call

NYMetros
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Very fair. I would have been pissed if I was a Pacers fan and we didn't get that last call. LeBron and company have nothing to complain about. They shouldn't of even had a chance to win it in the first place.

Lakersfan2483
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
They called a questionable foul on Granger, so they tried to makeup for the call by calling Lebron for the same thing.

jetsfan28
02-11-2009, 05:15 PM

Granger went through LeBron to get to the ball. Also, LeBron had a legitimate shot at actually tipping the ball in/dunking it.

LeBron went for the ball and got the ball, but happened to collide in with Granger in the process. Granger also had no real play on the ball except to slap it backwards in desperation.

That said, the difference between the two "fouls" is slight. Neither should have been called. The second stinks of a make-up call, which is ******** because it only propagates the error. On the other hand, it's hard to get upset as a Cavaliers fan when the first foul was pretty bogus too.

And to all those claiming LeBron gets preferential treatment from refs, here's yet another example of that being a farce.

Completely agree with this post.

Kenny
02-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I gotta laugh at those saying Lebron gets all the calls.. OKay like any player he gets away with a occasional travel, it just gets magnified when he gets away with it.. A foul can be called almost every time Lebron goes to the basket but he never flops and because hes bigger then everyone the refs let things go.. Like Shaq back in the day

JabberJaw
02-11-2009, 05:32 PM
It was a total makeup call. Granger legally blocked out Lebron on the crap foul they called before. Neither one was a foul. Game should have been over when Granger tipped the ball away. Let the Cavs coach cry and say it was a horrible call. the game should have been over already....wahhh! It's like all Cleveland is doing is crying now...from Mo Williams and his all star snub to a foul call that should have never been...

_Sn1P3r_
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Haha, I heard about it. Tough game to lose by the Cavs. Identical calls on identical plays.

Lakers4ItAll
02-11-2009, 05:48 PM
If they called it at one end it should be called at both reguardless of how much time is left on the clock

domd85
02-11-2009, 06:00 PM
****** the cavs

Lakers09
02-11-2009, 06:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0im5IWqeLYo

ARMIN12NBA
02-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Justice was served. Lebron got a ridiculous call on the other end where it looked like the referees were going to hand the Cavs the game. Lebron got way more contact on Granger so they made the call. Good for them. Like I said before, justice was served.

S.J.Basketball
02-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I saw the play. Granger didn;t even touch Lebron man and they called a foul. It was a horrible call.

On the other end Lebron is practically falling into Granger and it was the right call. If it was football it would've been pass interference for God sakes.

LOL @ the Cav's coach crying about that call when Lebron got to the line for NOTHING! It was a great defensive play by Granger.

ARMIN12NBA
02-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I saw the play. Granger didn;t even touch Lebron man and they called a foul. It was a horrible call.

On the other end Lebron is practically falling into Granger and it was the right call. If it was football it would've been pass interference for God sakes.

LOL @ the Cav's coach crying about that call when Lebron got to the line for NOTHING! It was a great defensive play by Granger.

Mike Brown has to suck Lebron's dick so Lebron may stay with Cleveland in 2010.

Also, did anybody else notice that Lebron left the court and was walking off as Granger was shooting? What a complete joke. It reminded me of the Bad Boys when Chicago finally beat them. Horrible. The sense of entitlement and arrogance is through the roof.

S.J.Basketball
02-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Mike Brown has to suck Lebron's dick so Lebron may stay with Cleveland in 2010.

Also, did anybody else notice that Lebron left the court and was walking off as Granger was shooting? What a complete joke. It reminded me of the Bad Boys when Chicago finally beat them. Horrible. The sense of entitlement and arrogance is through the roof.

LoL yea I saw that. Lebron's ego is through the roof. He can do no wrong. Mike Brown really shouldn't have opened his mouth. I hope the fine the hell out of that guy.

Fireworld
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Ref FAIL.

ARMIN12NBA
02-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Ref FAIL.

:laugh:

LeBrowns
02-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't know how you can say "yes" to the poll when LeBron didn't even commit a foul. He was between in front of his man and intercepted a lousy pass.

IndyRealist
02-11-2009, 06:45 PM

The ball was below the rim on both plays, the defender had stepped in front and cut off the intended receiver, on both plays. Both plays had contact. Both receivers had no chance of making a play. Neither should have been called.

BUT. The first foul, against Granger, was not going to be called until Lebron James through his hands up in the air and yelled at the referee. You can see it clearly in the replay footage. Granger is already celebrating, and the bench coming on the floor, when the whistle is blown. That's preferential treatment.

The call against Lebron was made by Joey Crawford (?), a different referee. He basically insinuated that the other ref was an idiot for making that call, because he gave Indiana a make up call on the other end, for the exact same play. Crawford chose to be consistent, rather than favor one star player over another. Lebron shouldn't whine, it's very unmanly. His going to the playoffs, and probably the Finals. The Pacers are not.

And the Pacers have beaten the FOUR best teams in the league, not three. Celtics, Lakers, Magic, and Cavaliers, in that order.

stealth33
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Put it this way. You can't look at the last foul alone. You look at the two fouls as a set. If you look at them individually they were TWO VERY BAD CALLS.

However, as a set, there was only one bad call there and that was the first call. It was NOT a makeup call. If that was a situation and a phantom foul that's a make up. This was the same exact situation with just a little variation. The contact in both fouls was body contact. The refs were CONSISTENT. You can't NOT call that foul on Lebron after calling it on Granger at the other end. That would be utter BS.

ARMIN12NBA
02-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't know how you can say "yes" to the poll when LeBron didn't even commit a foul. He was between in front of his man and intercepted a lousy pass.

What does that mean? I don't understand incomplete sentences. "He was between in front of his man..." You did not include the other subject matter.

Drtino
02-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Simply- what goes around comes around... the refs decided the game, but's only fair to call it.

carter15
02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
i wudnt of called either foul...on granger then on lebron...but they called one so they gotta call the other.

philab
02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Well you have to look at it like this, if the foul wasnt called on Lebron, then that would have been the refs helping a star player out, which is even worse than giving a make up call.

I'll concede the bolded part even though I don't necessarily agree . . .

BUT . . . a bad call in favor of a star player doesn't mean there was some sort of favoritism. Bad calls happen all the time; logically, some will go in favor of star players. It could just as easily be a coincidence as some sort of preferential treatment. Only a pattern of bad calls in favor of a star player can indicate preferential treatment.

philab
02-11-2009, 08:56 PM
The ball was below the rim on both plays, the defender had stepped in front and cut off the intended receiver, on both plays. Both plays had contact. Both receivers had no chance of making a play. Neither should have been called.

BUT. The first foul, against Granger, was not going to be called until Lebron James through his hands up in the air and yelled at the referee. You can see it clearly in the replay footage. Granger is already celebrating, and the bench coming on the floor, when the whistle is blown. That's preferential treatment.

The call against Lebron was made by Joey Crawford (?), a different referee. He basically insinuated that the other ref was an idiot for making that call, because he gave Indiana a make up call on the other end, for the exact same play. Crawford chose to be consistent, rather than favor one star player over another. Lebron shouldn't whine, it's very unmanly. His going to the playoffs, and probably the Finals. The Pacers are not.

And the Pacers have beaten the FOUR best teams in the league, not three. Celtics, Lakers, Magic, and Cavaliers, in that order.

I assume you're a Pacers fan, so let me reiterate . . . I am not complaining about the outcome of the game. Starting with a reference point of one second left (before the first foul), the outcome was just. Start with a reference point of .2 seconds left, however, and the Cavs got screwed -- no two ways about it. That's a silly way to put it, but basically . . . it was obviously a make-up call.

So whatever, not really a big deal. It is poor officiating, however, and an example of refs propagating their own errors.

As for which "foul" was worse, that's totally my opinion. LeBron had a legitimate shot at finishing and Granger did not. The ball was on the opposite side of LeBron when he was fouled while the ball was between Granger and LeBron when Granger was fouled. Like I said earlier, the difference was very slight though. And with neither being worthy of "fouls," both should have been let go. To make a bad call on the first and propagate the error on the second is awful (especially coming from another ref, who did not have the vantage point of the first on the first foul).

And I just don't think there's enough there to say LeBron got the call because he threw his hands up. And even if so, it wouldn't be indicative of preferential treatment, just a bad ref. If Wally had done the same thing, would that have been preferential treatment? Not likely -- just an easily swayed ref. You need more than one isolated incident to show preferential treatment.

FaceDown91
02-11-2009, 09:02 PM
well look at it this way.

IMO, they were both clean and if that was the case, the pacers would have won anyway so either way really, pacers win.

philab
02-11-2009, 09:04 PM
well look at it this way.

IMO, they were both clean and if that was the case, the pacers would have won anyway so either way really, pacers win.

Yeah, I have no problem viewing it that way as a Cavaliers fan.

As a basketball fan, it's very poor officiating and disappointing.

G-Funk
02-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Now that's clutch!

ratatat
02-11-2009, 09:34 PM
link?

hahah, wtf, why?

Fear_GAS_OLDier
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
lol i loved it, the pacers just seem to beat the top teams, yet they won't make the playoffs more than likely lmao, aren't they the only team to beat boston and la? and now throw in cleveland....awesome

ratatat
02-11-2009, 09:39 PM
What does that mean? I don't understand incomplete sentences. "He was between in front of his man..." You did not include the other subject matter.

:laugh::laugh:, we got an english teacher over here

18colts29
02-11-2009, 09:55 PM
lol i loved it, the pacers just seem to beat the top teams, yet they won't make the playoffs more than likely lmao, aren't they the only team to beat boston and la? and now throw in cleveland....awesome

Acually, at the start of the Pacers game tonight, they said they are the only team to beat the top 4 teams in the league, the Lakers, Cavs, Celtics, and the Magic. If they can only figure out how to beat the bad teams, we would be okay.

Kyle N.
02-11-2009, 09:58 PM
So, we all want fouls called the rest of the game but when it decides a game we don't want it. A foul is a foul. The league needs to make the officiating more consistant.

Yes, thank you. If the refs call the game right, then they aren't deciding the game, the players are.

bal_ravens
02-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Call looked good to me.

Wilson
02-12-2009, 05:29 PM
CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers coach Mike Brown has been fined $25,000 by the NBA for criticizing officials following Cleveland's last-second loss at Indiana on Tuesday night.

Brown, who will coach the Eastern Conference team at this weekend's All-Star Game in Phoenix, went into a tirade about a call by referee Joey Crawford that awarded the Pacers two free throws and gave them a 96-95 victory. Crawford called a foul on LeBron James, who was trying to stop an alley-oop pass to Indiana's Danny Granger.

Brown felt Crawford made a predetermined call against James, who had been involved in a similar call moments earlier with Granger.

On Wednesday, Brown said he did not regret making the comments and expected to be assessed his first fine as a head coach.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3903182

Lakers4ItAll
02-12-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't see how Brown could argue the call when he got the same one on the other end

WSU Tony
02-12-2009, 06:27 PM
It disgusts me when the refs decide a game like that.

They decided it on the other end of the floor, too. :p

BTownTeamsRKing
02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't see how Brown could argue the call when he got the same one on the other end

exactly. it was the same exact call 10 seconds ago and the Great "Al Roker" impersonating coach did not call it the "the worst call ever."

ppl say Boston and LA complain the most about refs. but cleveland sets a new standard on this one. Brown went from complaining about refs ro insulting them. and the funny thing is, the refs were right.

Wilson
02-12-2009, 06:43 PM
exactly. it was the same exact call 10 seconds ago and the Great "Al Roker" impersonating coach did not call it the "the worst call ever."

ppl say Boston and LA complain the most about refs. but cleveland sets a new standard on this one. Brown went from complaining about refs ro insulting them. and the funny thing is, the refs were right.

Absolutely, I thought they were spot on with those calls at the end of the game. I can't speak for the rest of the game, since I didn't see it, but the calls at the end of the game were fine.

Another weird thing is the ref was Joey Crawford. You can find a ton of games where he calls the weirdest things (he's such an inconsistent ref :mad:), but he was right with these ones I thought.

Meanwhile, I like how Rajon Rondo looks like The Incredible Hulk in your sig :p

Kenny
02-12-2009, 06:49 PM

where did Lebron complain?? He said neither of them were fouls..

ARMIN12NBA
02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
where did Lebron complain?? He said neither of them were fouls..

He screamed and yelled at the refs and proceeded to leave the court before the game was even over...

BTownTeamsRKing
02-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Absolutely, I thought they were spot on with those calls at the end of the game. I can't speak for the rest of the game, since I didn't see it, but the calls at the end of the game were fine.

Another weird thing is the ref was Joey Crawford. You can find a ton of games where he calls the weirdest things (he's such an inconsistent ref :mad:), but he was right with these ones I thought.

Meanwhile, I like how Rajon Rondo looks like The Incredible Hunk in your sig :p

haha yea im supersticous with my sigs so i made this one quick. after a loss, i switch it up. ive always been like that