PDA

View Full Version : David glass

RoyalFan310
02-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm growing weary of everyone giving David Glass and his son a free pass. Bob Dutton reularly cites how thw Royals have increased payroll by almost 16M this year - but no one reminds us Glass cut payroll by nearly 10M last year. That's a net increase of 6M over 2 years. Plus, Glass bought the Royals for approximately 100M, and they're now valued at 300M.

I bring this up only because my frustration is growing. Cabrera is still sitting out the (as is Hudson) and their price is falling. Glass says we need to subtract payroll if we add payroll.

I say : We ARE SO CLOSE. Invest in the fans of KC.

johnston1233
02-13-2009, 12:09 AM
While David Glass did cut payroll from 2007 to 2008, it was nowhere near $10-million. It was less than one-million (58.2 in 2007, 57.4 in 2008).
Actually, the payroll would have rocketed the other way had Glass been able to land Torii Hunter, which was the initial plan (god I loved that plan ... Dejesus, Hunter, Guillen everyday in the OF).

Do Cabrera or Hudson push our lineup over the top this year? Neither one has much pop, Hudson hits for average, Cabrera used to hit. Neither is going to drive in many runs. Both equal first-round compensation. I don't think either is worth it.

Bob Dutton wrote it in the Star, and I agree. I wouldn't mind somebody more like Ray Durham. Probably a discounted, one-year deal, with nothing to lose. We don't drop a draft pick, and if somebody else looks like they're panning out at second, we can move him.

I agree that we are close, and I want Glass to invest in the fans, but I don't want it to come at a price.

RoyalFan310
02-13-2009, 05:28 PM
It was 67.1 M in '07 vs 58.2M in '08 (according to Cot's Contracts) - that's nearly 10M. Cabrera is an every day SS, and Hudson is a leader and a stud at 2B. With Crisp and one of these two setting the table, we'd be a contender. Durham isn't in their league. It's time to be bold. Durham is a cautious, timid (.500 team) pick up.

If it will get KC excited, Glass should invest - not wait for KC to get excited first. Also, compensation is based on WHEN they are signed as well. Moore should factor it all in.

Mr. Glass...invest NOW!

johnston1233
02-13-2009, 10:30 PM
I still don't think any of them make a difference, and not that any are even getting too much of a look, but it's still an interesting argument.

Which do you take?
1. .281 BA, .334 OBP, .978 F%, $9M
2. .305 BA, .367 OBP, .982 F%, $7M
3. .289 BA, .380 OBP, .992 F%, $3M
4. .325 BA, .354 OBP, .978 F%, >$1M

There is no chance for Hudson and Cabrera to come in as a tandem, but just to think about it.

Top two are Hudson and Cabrera who would be a formidable, but expensive middle infield (based on AP estimates of what they will sign for). Neither has impressive power numbers, each hit 8 HR, Hudson drove in just 41, Cabrera 57.

Bottom two are Durham and current shortstop Aviles. Cost is next to nothing, pretty slick defensively. Durham clearly has very little power, 6 HR in 08, while Aviles maintains some pop.

(Yes, I know Durham is old as night, 37, but he's still durable, 370 AB last year, spending a few months splitting time with Rickie Weeks, and this is just for the sake of argument — one-year deal.)

I guess I just don't understand your interest in running Aviles to the bench for an expensive plug in, who doesn't bring any more value to the position.

Yes, the names are exciting, maybe enough to get a couple more people to the K, but ultimately they probably don't add up to more wins this season and especially moving forward.

My preference is for Teahen to prove he's not too tall, can stay in to take the turn, win the job convincingly, and not spend any more money on offense. What's the word on Juan Cruz, flame throwing reliever? That's an exciting move. One more power arm in the bully??? That's a game-changing piece to what I think is our biggest question mark.

johnston1233
02-14-2009, 08:32 PM
All of that said. Bring on Hudson.

Mr. Glass — INVEST NOW.

HA!

You're right. I don't know why that stick was up my *****. He's an immediate improvement at second.

I think I was just unimpressed when Olney put Hudson third in the lineup. I don't like that, but I like him on the diamond, maybe hitting 2, and dropping Aviles behind Jacobs.

RoyalFan310
02-20-2009, 05:58 PM
PHOENIX -- Free agents are on sale, and the Dodgers picked one up on the cheap Friday when they agreed with second baseman Orlando Hudson on a one-year contract, baseball sources confirmed.
The deal is worth $3.4 million with another $4.6 million in possible incentives.

The three-time Gold Glove and 2007 All-Star will take over the position from the retired Jeff Kent. Hudson had originally sought a multiyear deal at $10 million annually, but the free-agent market crashed, and he slashed his asking price. The deal came together quickly after it was reported that the Dodgers had also begun talks with another free-agent infielder, Orlando Cabrera.

Hudson, however, will also cost the Dodgers their first-round Draft pick in June, No. 17 overall, as a Type-A free agent that was offered salary arbitration by the Arizona Diamondbacks and did not accept.

Cooper
03-11-2009, 02:23 AM
I look for a late addition to be made at second base. If teahen goes to the yankees, that will open up the pursestrings a little.