PDA

View Full Version : Did Stuart Scott Really say that?

D Roses Bulls
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
i was just reading a chat session with espn writer david thorpe and someone had asked him this "In the latest ESPN the Mag Stuart Scott says the NCAA champs would take three or four out of ten against the NBA basement dwellers. I can't believe that would be true. Your take?"

well as you can guess david replied with this "It's the craziest thing ever written in the last 25 years. Are you sure he wasn't joking?"

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24955

now what im wondering is if anyone has the magazine and knows if he did really say that? if so that has to be one of the stupidest things i have ever heard anyone in sports ever state.

any information would be much appreciated.

thanks

DrDEADalready
02-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Let me get this straight. so he's saying some college teams would beat the sucky teams in the NBA?

D Roses Bulls
02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Let me get this straight. so he's saying some college teams would beat the sucky teams in the NBA?

thats what he is saying, but i want to confirm that its in the magazine though first. if it is then stuart scott is a bigger moron then i thought

JAZZNC
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I'd say Carolina or UConn would give the Thunder a run for their money. Thunder only b/c they have nobody who's been in the league that long that's any good. Teams like the Clippers/Warriors would kill any college team b/c they have guys like Baron Davis and Randolph who just couldn't be controlled by any college player.

Sport
02-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I'd say Carolina or UConn would give the Thunder a run for their money. Thunder only b/c they have nobody who's been in the league that long that's any good. Teams like the Clippers/Warriors would kill any college team b/c they have guys like Baron Davis and Randolph who just couldn't be controlled by any college player.

I agree. If Uconn or North Carolina played a team like the Thunder/Kings/Wolves, I think they could win 3 or 4 out of ten?

weebs
02-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Ridiculous. You guys are high. Everyone in the NBA dominated in college - the Thunder alone have tons of guys who were studs in college - Durant, Green, Collison, Westbrook - it wouldn't even be close. You're basically saying a college team couldn't beat a team of college all-stars with a bunch of extra years experience under their belt. I don't care how bad an NBA team is, the idea that any college team could be competitive with an NBA team is a joke.

Max Power
02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Stuart Scott said this.

Seeing how he is a complete idiot and everything.

Wake's Fastball
02-11-2009, 01:57 PM
I agree. If Uconn or North Carolina played a team like the Thunder/Kings/Wolves, I think they could win 3 or 4 out of ten?

You realize the scrubs on the end of the Kings and Wolves' benches, like Rodney Carney and Shelden Williams, were All-Americans in college. If college players couldn't hold those teams' scrubs before getting NBA seasoning, how are they supposed to slow down their starters?

t-mac1nukka
02-11-2009, 02:00 PM

you guys cant be serious!!!

DerekRE_3
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
You realize the scrubs on the end of the Kings and Wolves' benches, like Rodney Carney and Shelden Williams, were All-Americans in college. If college players couldn't hold those teams' scrubs before getting NBA seasoning, how are they supposed to slow down their starters?

Exactly. Quincy Douby and Bobby Brown put up over 20 ppg in college, as did Kevin Martin, who would absolutely destroy any college defender. They would have to foul him every time he touched the ball in order to stop him from making the basket. Even if a team (Like North Carolina did a couple years ago) had 5 players go to the NBA, the guys on their bench would be absolutely murdered. And those 5 NBA bound players would still get outplayed by most of the NBA players.

You also have to remember that the offenses and defenses used in college are not nearly as complex as those in the NBA.

mfb_lt1birdman
02-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Lets not forget conditioning too. Most guys in college seem completely unable to play a whole game. Let alone adding another 8 minutes + the extra times up and down the court with a shorter shot clock.

thedfactor
02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
It would be Kings 10 for 10 in blowout fashion. College teams don't compete.

Nikolishin
02-11-2009, 02:19 PM
not a chance there is no way high school all stars (college players) could beat the college all stars (nba players). no chance in hell the nba players even got expeirence on the PRO level, college players have what 4-10 years expeirence

td0tsfinest
02-11-2009, 02:33 PM
how could some one say that...doesn't he realize that most great NCAA teams only have like 4 guys making into the nba. Remember the phrase "Men among Children", it would literally be Men among Children. Look at a lot of the scrubs in the NBA, those guys were All-American. JJ Reddick and Adam Morrison were Player of the Years in College. Where are they know? Sitting on the Bench.

I've always though Stuart Scott was an idiot, has not Sports IQ, he's just a guy that got his Communication degree and became a broadcaster. If he was an actual analyst, he should be banished.

chicagowhitesox
02-11-2009, 02:44 PM
that's an idiotic statement.

DLeeicious
02-11-2009, 03:07 PM

nooooooooooooooo

cali72888
02-11-2009, 03:42 PM
No way in hell does any college team stand up against the worst NBA teams, probably not even the D-League

KINGofKINGS28
02-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Everyone on espn is an idiot

Chronz
02-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Kevin Durant would torch NCAA players even worse then he did as a freshman

rhymeratic
02-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, nobody thought int'l players would be USA team...

I sure would love to see a team of college all-stars play against the Thunder. They'd get obliterated.

keithm320
02-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Ok so Stuart Scott was exagerating a little bit, but hes not so offbase...There have been college teams that would have had maybe a 10-72 record if thrown into the NBA...My favorite is 1996 Kentucky Wildcats

Antoine Walker
Tony Delk
Walter McCarty
Derek Anderson
Ron Mercer

all produced at a reasonably high level in the NBA

Imakattack
02-11-2009, 04:01 PM
lmao at the uconn comment or even the unc ones...

did you see the uconn michigan game? uconn can't shoot, they'd get destroyed, and If anyone has a chance it would be unc but imo they'd be lucky to win 1 outta ten vs. a minnesota squad w/o Jefferson but I even think the short handed bucks team would handle a college squad and as for the thunder well I think durant would average 40-50 a game against a college team...

Tisoykeis
02-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Not a chance. The NBA teams would win hands down.

I think if they played 10 times, the college teams could make it close in some games just because they play harder, but in the end, the NBA teams are just too deep and stacked for college teams to hang with.

GspLAL
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Thunder would destroy them, let's not forget these teams are going up against the best in the world like last night they were being pretty competitive with the Lakers and it was a somewhat close game.

jrodmesche
02-11-2009, 04:09 PM
wishfull thinking thats all i have to say about that

masalex1205
02-11-2009, 04:10 PM
End this thread, this is ridiculous.

Any nba bench would destroy any college team even if all the nba players were drunk.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2009, 04:31 PM
The worst team in the NBA would beat North Carolina, or UConn by 30 points, 10/10 games. Remember, every player in the NBA, more or less, was a star in college. I always laugh at this stuff. The size and the speed of pro's is so much better.

Lions #81
02-11-2009, 04:48 PM
i think Uconn can take the celtics 9 out of 10 lol
no it prolly would never happen

Lions #81
02-11-2009, 04:50 PM
what about the fab five

dwiduck
02-11-2009, 04:55 PM
NBA players are bigger, faster, and stronger. The players in the NBA are al the best players from the NCAA so I say no way. A College team would be lucky to take 1 out of 10 against any NBA team.

ReymanEjazzfan
02-11-2009, 05:01 PM
nba players are college allstars playing against other teams of all stars every night!! that makes them SO much better even just after a year or 2. i dont care if there are 7 or 8 future NBA players on a college team with great chemistry, the worst team in the NBA would still handle them over and over again

07MVPPatBurrell
02-11-2009, 05:08 PM
stupid idea.

Punkindrublic03
02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
BOO-YA! stu scott must have been high makin that statement.

Tony_Starks
02-11-2009, 05:12 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. If a team composed of the "nba best" can lose to a Euro team what makes you think the best college team, coached by the best college coach couldn't beat the Thunders or the Sacramento Kings of the world? Plus it depends if they're playing NBA rules or college rules, NBA 3 or college 3 etc....

philab
02-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Ok so Stuart Scott was exagerating a little bit, but hes not so offbase...There have been college teams that would have had maybe a 10-72 record if thrown into the NBA...My favorite is 1996 Kentucky Wildcats

Antoine Walker
Tony Delk
Walter McCarty
Derek Anderson
Ron Mercer

all produced at a reasonably high level in the NBA

No chance in hell that team would win 10 games.

McCarty and Delk averaged a combined 7 points their rookie seasons. The other three put up double-digits in scoring -- Walker at 17 PPG -- but that's still not enough. Altogether the players listed above would average about 55 PPG using their rookie season stats. It would be even worse if they were all in college -- especially since Mercer and Anderson would have to be two years younger to play with the others.

There's no way Kentucky's bench those years would be capable of scoring 30+ points every night. And even if they could, ten wins isn't a guarantee. College players typically can't play defense at the level required of NBA starters. Opponents would be going off every night.

ajj22
02-11-2009, 05:16 PM
the worst nba team would win 100000 out of 100000. the 06-07 florida basketball team with horford, noah, brewer, etc. was one of the better teams to come a long in a while. their lineup was a bunch of players that could've been in the NBA had they entered the '06 draft (they all came back for another year). even with the extra experience under their belts, they all had plenty of learning to do once they got to the NBA. the only one of that team producing consistently is horford, with noah having occasional good games (better recently) and brewer struggling quite a bit last year (injured this year). my main point here is that a collegiate team of players that can play at the NBA level is not the equivalent of an NBA team.

the same can be said of the 04-05 UNC team that had so many players drafted. even given their 3.5 years experience in the nba, you reassemble that team with a lineup of:

raymond felton (decent nba pg)
rashad mccants (i've seen much better nba sg's)
reyshawn terry (not sure he ever saw an nba minute)
marvin williams (starting to breakout, but not an allstar by any means)
sean may (doubt he ever becomes relevant in the nba)

i know that wasnt unc's starting lineup, but today thats probably the best 5 you'd get out there. there's no way even with nba experience that that lineup beats the thunder "3 or 4 times out of 10".

that response turned out a little longer than i anticipated, but my main point here is that stu scott is an idiot, and i could've told you that before i read this.

Inferno50
02-11-2009, 05:26 PM
the only way you can make an argument for a college team being able to beat an nba team is if they went undefeated throughout the year, which doesnt happen anymore. if they cant beat every college team they play what makes them able to beat an nba team.

TheShock45
02-11-2009, 05:31 PM
how is it so idiotic

he saying UCONN, UNC or Duke could win 3 or maybe 4 games against the thunder, grizzlies or kings which i believ could happen

basement teams they couldnt beat Clippers and Wizards they suck but they could definately take down uconn

roju23
02-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Boooo-yah! I disagree.

cwilson21
02-11-2009, 05:34 PM
What a dumbass if he really did say that. Any NBA team would crush any NCAA team. Does he know that every NBA roster is made up of all former college stars?

vigilantex69
02-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Ridiculous. You guys are high. Everyone in the NBA dominated in college - the Thunder alone have tons of guys who were studs in college - Durant, Green, Collison, Westbrook - it wouldn't even be close. You're basically saying a college team couldn't beat a team of college all-stars with a bunch of extra years experience under their belt. I don't care how bad an NBA team is, the idea that any college team could be competitive with an NBA team is a joke.

So agreed. This is the same for every pro sports. Even the worst pro athlete is one of the best college players.

cf267872
02-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Would never happen, mentally going into any matchup, the NBA team would be so much more prepared and simple matchups like Russell Westbrook on any collegiate guard would heavily favor the NBA. I mean, if you were on an NBA team that played an NCAA team, obviously you're gonna go all out to avoid the embarassment...and P.S. I'm high right now haha, so it's not really that big of an arguement.

D Roses Bulls
02-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Would never happen, mentally going into any matchup, the NBA team would be so much more prepared and simple matchups like Russell Westbrook on any collegiate guard would heavily favor the NBA. I mean, if you were on an NBA team that played an NCAA team, obviously you're gonna go all out to avoid the embarassment...and P.S. I'm high right now haha, so it's not really that big of an arguement.

exactly, it would never happen. hell has a better chance of freezing over before that to ever happen.

chisox..YES!
02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Not one team in college would win a single game out of 100 against any team in the NBA. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Skin&Bones
02-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Very low chance of winning for the college team. If they play with college rules, they still will be destroyed. Imagine if they play professional rules with a 24 second shot clock, those college teams will be like headless chickens. They will be flustered like hell and panic mode in every possession.

boms-4
02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Scott has a lazy eye and it annoys me

LA_cabals
02-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Off-topic, but same idea...

Do you think USC Trojans (Football) could beat the Detroit Lions?

The Prodigy
02-11-2009, 07:45 PM
i think its reasonable to say that the draft class or 08-09 could beat the kings or thunder though

fhatmanz
02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. If a team composed of the "nba best" can lose to a Euro team what makes you think the best college team, coached by the best college coach couldn't beat the Thunders or the Sacramento Kings of the world? Plus it depends if they're playing NBA rules or college rules, NBA 3 or college 3 etc....

I agree...100%....

Okay... NBA players are definitely bigger, stronger, and faster... but that doesn't mean the Kings or Thunder would dominate a series matchup with a the top 1-2 College team that has chemistry and players who will be in the NBA.....

Stop looking at the individuals and pay attention to the TEAM!! I REPEAT TEAM!...

The USA men's team got their butt handled to them in the last 6-7 years because we had a lineup full of all-stars with no chemistry....

Who would you think would win this game?

Starters:
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
LeBron James
Chris Bosh
Dwight Howard

Bench:
Carmelo Anthony
Kirk Hinrich
Joe Johnson
Elton Brand
Shane Battier

Vs.

Antonios Fotsis
N. Chatzivrettas
D. Diamantidis
L. Papadopoulos
Michail Kakiouzis

T. Papaloukas
S. Schortsanitis
Vasileios Spanoulis
P. Vassilopoulos
D. Ntikoudis
K. Tsartsaris

That was 2006 Semi in World Championships.... We lost by 7....

But last summer the USA program HAD A TEAM and we dominated...

So stop overrating the league...

The Kings/Thunder/Wolves Suck... And could lose a game to a college team...(that plays with chemistry)

Testaverde16
02-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I could see UNC taking 3 of ten against Memphis.... probably more. I don't think that it is guaranteed to happen with every year, but in some cases (like this season) I would agree.

Testaverde16
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Scott has a lazy eye and it annoys me

He got hit point blank by a football being shot out of one of those cannon things. Not his fault, he was at the Jets camp I believe, blame Herm Edwards.

GHOSTSNIPER
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
USC can beat the Detroit Lions...I'm just saying