PDA

View Full Version : Yao and T-mac duo - What did you expect initially?

JordansBulls
02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
How much were you expecting these two (Yao and T-mac) to achieve when they came together?

2005 - Lost in Round 1 in 7 Games to the Mavs after being up 2-0
2006 - Yao and T-mac injured (No playoffs)
2007 - Won 52 games (Have HCA lose game 7 at home to the Jazz)
2008 - Won 55 games (Have HCA lose in 6 to Jazz, but with Yao injured)
2009 - Yet to be determined

DrDEADalready
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I expected first round playoff exits. nothing more than that.

Hawkeye15
02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Initially, I thought TMac didn't have the help he needed to get out of the first round with Orlando. I thought Ming was the piece he needed to get to the second round at least. By the beginning of last season, I realized that McGrady is not a leader, and Yao is now the one that needs help. They are first round knockout material, yet again.

Missing56&33
02-11-2009, 04:40 PM
good thread, I was expecting Yao to make a big impact on the league and make the Rockets into a contender. I wasn't sure how well he and Tmac would play together but after seeing them for 5years now I still think its all on Tmac. He has to elevate his game to another level and he hasn't done that. Injuries, poor play in the playoffs, just not finishing. I think this is their last chance. I hope they come out of the west, they are very capable

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The Rockets should have won that series, they blew it

JordansBulls
02-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Initially, I thought TMac didn't have the help he needed to get out of the first round with Orlando. I thought Ming was the piece he needed to get to the second round at least. By the beginning of last season, I realized that McGrady is not a leader, and Yao is now the one that needs help. They are first round knockout material, yet again.

How much help does Yao need? He has T-mac and now Artest along with another very productive frontcourt player in Scola and a good bench.

abe_froman
02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
i thought it was a good move at first,i dint think that way anymore..

thedfactor
02-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Mostly everyone, myself included, figured this to be an amazing combo. The Rockets also believed these two would lead them to an NBA championship. What has happened? They only never made it passed the first round and saw both instate rivals make it to the Finals instead...

_Sn1P3r_
02-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I thought it would've been a nice duo. You get a nice wing and a very talented big.

Lone Maverick
02-11-2009, 05:40 PM
I thought they'd be instant contenders. Seemed like they would be the NBA's next 'great duo".

Hawkeye15
02-11-2009, 05:43 PM
How much help does Yao need? He has T-mac and now Artest along with another very productive frontcourt player in Scola and a good bench.

T Mac is half retired and sucks, and the rest are role players. Artest is not the same player he was 3 years ago. He is no longer an elite defender. Is Yao a franchise leader? Maybe. But probably not.

Kakaroach
02-11-2009, 06:05 PM
I actually expected them to lose in the first round expect for the 2007 playoffs. They had both T-Mac and Yao but still lost after getting up 2-0 on the Jazz. And then T-Mac cried.

still1ballin
02-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I expected them to be another kobe shaq duo, but came out to be a hansel and grettel

abe_froman
02-11-2009, 06:58 PM
T Mac is half retired and sucks, and the rest are role players. Artest is not the same player he was 3 years ago. He is no longer an elite defender. Is Yao a franchise leader? Maybe. But probably not.

i dunno they were better with just yao

boms-4
02-11-2009, 07:22 PM
firs rounds exits at most in the second round. That is not a championship team

KB24PG16
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
once tmac came in i thought theyd win a championship now i dont think theyll make the playoffs

albertc86
02-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I expected them to be a serious contender, but McGrady and Yao are injury prone.

JordansBulls
02-11-2009, 11:17 PM
I expected them to be a serious contender, but McGrady and Yao are injury prone.

They were healthy only in the 2007 playoffs.

MJ-BULLS
02-11-2009, 11:23 PM
at least out of the first round now that they have artest

dre1990
02-11-2009, 11:33 PM
i thought they'd be instant contenders. Seemed like they would be the nba's next 'great duo".

x2

JordansBulls
02-12-2009, 02:11 AM
at least out of the first round now that they have artest

I'm sure that isn't what ARtest was thinking.

Drtino
02-12-2009, 02:40 AM
what the rockets need to do is get rid of T-mac and get capable players instead...

Pitty'09
02-12-2009, 02:42 AM
How much were you expecting these two (Yao and T-mac) to achieve when they came together?

2006 - Yao and T-mac injured (No playoffs)
2007 - Won 52 games (Have HCA lose game 7 at home to the Jazz)
2008 - Won 55 games (Have HCA lose in 6 to Jazz, but with Yao injured)
2009 - Yet to be determined
You know, I defended TMAC for a long time because he was so good. [B][U]t now i cant tell if he is out all the time because he is injured or just does not want to play. Or if its a combo and he is always injured because his lack of effort to be prepared. Yao is good, but not that good. He is soft, oft injured, suspect on d(yeah he blocks shots, but at 7ft 5 not enought), and has not fire and emotion. I thought they would have had one year they REALLY contended, but that has come and gone. And call me crazy, but hopefully Artest and Yao push hard. I am the one guy that likes artest, because he plays so hard and is a good teammate. Off court issues aside, that is.

JordansBulls
02-12-2009, 09:35 AM
You know, I defended TMAC for a long time because he was so good. [B][U]t now i cant tell if he is out all the time because he is injured or just does not want to play. Or if its a combo and he is always injured because his lack of effort to be prepared. Yao is good, but not that good. He is soft, oft injured, suspect on d(yeah he blocks shots, but at 7ft 5 not enought), and has not fire and emotion. I thought they would have had one year they REALLY contended, but that has come and gone. And call me crazy, but hopefully Artest and Yao push hard. I am the one guy that likes artest, because he plays so hard and is a good teammate. Off court issues aside, that is.

I think it is a sign that he just wants out and so he is giving every excuse in the book.

JordansBulls
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
what the rockets need to do is get rid of T-mac and get capable players instead...

Would you trade Vince for him?

GrkGawdofWalkz
02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I didn't expect much from a career cripple who doesn't play more than 40 games a season. I like Yao immensly though. Trade McGrady and just move on. Yao is still only in his late 20's and can lead a team. Landry, Artest (resigned), Scola and company can be a solid team.

GrkGawdofWalkz
02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
I think it is a sign that he just wants out and so he is giving every excuse in the book.

Exactly, so he can go some place else and rot their team into the ground.

JordansBulls
02-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Exactly, so he can go some place else and rot their team into the ground.

:laugh2:

JJ81
02-12-2009, 03:20 PM
T-mac's not going anywhere with the Rockets and the Rockets aren't going anywhere with T-mac. Trading him would probably be the best thing for both.

dolfan720
02-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Nba title

JordansBulls
02-18-2009, 09:41 AM
T-mac's not going anywhere with the Rockets and the Rockets aren't going anywhere with T-mac. Trading him would probably be the best thing for both.

Who will take him now?

Besides the Rockets seem to play better without him this year.

nalej85
02-18-2009, 11:30 AM
I thought it the T-Mac and Yao would be even better than the Shaq-Kobe(and without drama), Bird-Parish combos. I was initially sad to get rid of Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley.. How ironic is that even if that trade didn't go down, they would be in the same predicament because Franchise's and Mobley's careers are now prematurely over too. Almost seems like Rockets were doomed from the start. Can you trade an injured player for another injured player? T-mac and a 1st rd pick for Michael Redd????

JordansBulls
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I thought it the T-Mac and Yao would be even better than the Shaq-Kobe(and without drama), Bird-Parish combos. I was initially sad to get rid of Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley.. How ironic is that even if that trade didn't go down, they would be in the same predicament because Franchise's and Mobley's careers are now prematurely over too. Almost seems like Rockets were doomed from the start. Can you trade an injured player for another injured player? T-mac and a 1st rd pick for Michael Redd????

Bird and Parish wasn't the main combo. Parish was the 3rd wheel. The combo was Bird and Mchale.

ink
02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I didn't expect much really. There was nothing in their careers that justified comparisons with Shaq-Kobe or Bird-McHale.

TheHeat3
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
I initially thought, FINALLY The Rockets and T-Mac can get out of the 1st round with Yao ...but I guess not :rolleyes:

JordansBulls
02-18-2009, 01:36 PM
I initially thought, FINALLY The Rockets and T-Mac can get out of the 1st round with Yao ...but I guess not :rolleyes:

It's amazing that the Rockets have had this much talent for soo long and no success. Even in 1998 they had Hakeem, Barkley and Drexler and lost to the Jazz in round 1. In 1999 they had Hakeem, Barkley and Pippen and lost the Lakers in round 1. It's been since 1997 the Rockets haven't gotten out of round 1. I was shocked to hear that the other day. They even had Francis when he was good with Yao and they lost in round 1.

nalej85
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Bird and Parish wasn't the main combo. Parish was the 3rd wheel. The combo was Bird and Mchale.

I realize that .but if I had put Bird and Mchale..Someone else would've blasted me because Mchale didn't play Center.....I was comparing SG/SF Center Combos

nalej85
02-18-2009, 05:14 PM
It's amazing that the Rockets have had this much talent for soo long and no success. Even in 1998 they had Hakeem, Barkley and Drexler and lost to the Jazz in round 1. In 1999 they had Hakeem, Barkley and Pippen and lost the Lakers in round 1. It's been since 1997 the Rockets haven't gotten out of round 1. I was shocked to hear that the other day. They even had Francis when he was good with Yao and they lost in round 1.

Most of the players you listed were at least 34 or older..About the time of decline for most players..In MOST CASES, NOT a championship team

kidfury
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Initially I thought the talent of the two would be enough to make them contenders but they've only shown that they can only do well in the regular season but not in a best of 7 against strong competition. I do like Yao but t-mac... no heart and very injury prone as well, not a good combination. Yao, is very good but not the type that makes his team mates better. T-mac, is a 'me' type player. Houston can be a good team but they are similar with the isiah's knicks, in that they've thrown together some talent that does not necessarily mesh extremely well.

what54!?
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I thought they would get to the second round at least

kpstunna85
02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm sorry 2 say, both are injury pron, unless rockets trade t-mac, they will never get out of the 1st round.

Fireworld
02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I expected them to be poor mans Shaq & Kobe.

NYMetros
02-18-2009, 08:38 PM

No doubt that Mchale was the better post player. But Bird would look for Parish in the post a good deal as well. I think Mchale was 1a and Parish was 1b.

COLH
02-18-2009, 08:43 PM
I remember game 7 against Dallas they lost to them by like 40 points or something.

Fire&Ice2&33
02-18-2009, 08:52 PM
This year we have the best team since T-Mac came!!!
--Last year T-mac played his ***** off,but nobody was there to help him
--Year before that Yao played soft
--WHen we played the Mavs,dont know wat happened!!!

****Tracy Lamar McGrady is one of the greatest postseason players**** He does his job,its not his fault that he had nobody to help him...Orlando nobody thought they would make the playoffs,but they almost took out Detriot!!!

---I really thought this would be a good year,but now since T-Mac is out....EVERYBODY has to step up

T-Mac is avg. 28 pts in the offseason...I think only MJ and A.I. are above him...

TRACY LAMAR MCGRADY----I RIDE WITH YOU THROUGH THICK AND THIN

Verbal Christ
02-18-2009, 09:07 PM

a mental lapse by drexler late in the game gave stockton his miracle 3, which propelled them into the finals that year. otherwise we would have had the 'dream' matchup everyone,everywhere has always argued about or wanted. Rockets vs. Bulls .... and I think we would have won in 7.

JordansBulls
02-18-2009, 09:17 PM
No doubt that Mchale was the better post player. But Bird would look for Parish in the post a good deal as well. I think Mchale was 1a and Parish was 1b.

I don't think it was that close. Mchale was obviously better.

JMG15
02-18-2009, 09:19 PM
I expected them to be another kobe shaq duo, but came out to be a hansel and grettel

That is the perfect way to sum it up, couldn't have said it better myself. I had high hopes for these 2 when they first paired up, but now they gotta clean house and start fresh(Houston). Yao needs to do himself a favor and get as far away from T-Mac as possible(if he wants any chance at a title)