PDA

View Full Version : Who has the better core?

mrblisterdundee
02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Memphis and Oklahoma City are both young teams at the bottom of the NBA. They are also both poised to get much better, because of their talented young cores.
Memphis has two solid leaders with Gay and Mayo. Marc Gasol looks like he will be a decent center. Darrell Arthur is going to be a solid role player. Lowry and Conley both look capable of running the point.
Oklahoma also has a solid core. Kevin Durant will be one of the best players in the league for a long time. Russell Westbrook is surprisingly becoming one of the most versatile point guards in the league, like Rajon Rondo. Jeff Green is a solid wing man to Durant. Together, those three players seem to be performing at a top tier level.
Memphis has the advantage at center and shooting guard. Oklahoma has the advantage at small forward and point guard.
My vote barely tips towards Oklahoma City. Who do you think will have the better core in the long run?

what54!?
02-11-2009, 12:58 PM
OC. Durant is a furture muti-time all-star. Westbrook is explosive, a pretty good defender, and still improving his offensive game. An green looks like a good second or third option

bahama0811
02-11-2009, 01:02 PM
I think it's easily OKC. Westbrook's going to be a very good PG. Durant would be an allstar if he wasn't on the Thunder.

jgonboricua
02-11-2009, 01:08 PM
its going to Oklahome...both teams are gong to get a high draft pick this year as well and could possible add griffen

Pierzynski4Prez
02-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Both teams are both just temporary homes to most those guys until they hit free agency, or are traded before they hit free agency. When it comes time to pay up, Memphis might pay up for Gay, but will they then do the same for Mayo and Gasol and Conley and Lowry. Same with the Thunder. Green, Durant will be wanting extensions the same year with westbrook the following year, will they keep all 3?

THE MTL
02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
OKC Core rivals that of Portland's.

MJ-BULLS
02-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Okc

cambovenzi
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I like Memphis' better.
mayo/gay/warrick/gasol/conley
lowry, arthur, critt.

Tom81
02-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Oklahoma City

Nexus
02-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Lets say for a second that:

Durant > Mayo
Westbrook > Gay
Green > Gasol

As far as who would you rather have. But, I don't think you can argue that each of the comparisons has arguments for both sides, and all are fairly close.

Then you add in in Conley and Arthur, neither older than 21. COnley at 9 and 4 who really just needs to develop a midrange jumper so that the other team defender can respect both his drives and his shot. Then you have Arthur, who, after adding some bulk could really do some damage. Exactly at the positions your big three aren't. Not to mention Warrick, Haddadi, Lowry. I'd say Memphis has a more balanced future. Yes, you can assume OKC will draft Griffin, but the odds are actually not great OKC will end up with first pick, even if they finish last.

chicagowhitesox
02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
okc because durant is already a top 10 player.

Gibby23
02-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I like Memphis' better.
mayo/gay/warrick/gasol/conley
lowry, arthur, critt.

They traded him to the Wiz. He has been playing decent and is getting more PT now.

Kakaroach
02-11-2009, 06:07 PM
OKC because they have 3 excellent young players and Memphis always finds a way to screw things up. (Pau Gasol)

mrblisterdundee
02-12-2009, 02:29 AM
You're comparing a small forward with a shooting guard, a point guard with a small forward, and a power forward with a center. Please stop trying to compare players that shouldn't be compared. Try comparing Gay with Durant, or the combo of Lowry and Conley with Westbrook, or Arthur with Green. Mayo can't be compared to any player on the Thunder.

Durant > Mayo
Westbrook > Gay
Green > Gasol

As far as who would you rather have. But, I don't think you can argue that each of the comparisons has arguments for both sides, and all are fairly close.

Then you add in in Conley and Arthur, neither older than 21. COnley at 9 and 4 who really just needs to develop a midrange jumper so that the other team defender can respect both his drives and his shot. Then you have Arthur, who, after adding some bulk could really do some damage. Exactly at the positions your big three aren't. Not to mention Warrick, Haddadi, Lowry. I'd say Memphis has a more balanced future. Yes, you can assume OKC will draft Griffin, but the odds are actually not great OKC will end up with first pick, even if they finish last.

DenButsu
02-12-2009, 06:24 AM
okc because durant is already a top 10 player.

Well, slow down.

hotdogbun
02-12-2009, 07:13 AM

Durant > Mayo
Westbrook > Gay
Green > Gasol

first off GAY > Westbrook

whats up with those matchups????????? your comparing players at different positions its like saying who is better cp3 or dwight?pierce or duncan?

you couldve atleast compared by positions, like
gasol vs. collison
warrick vs. green
gay vs. durant
mayo vs. weaver
conley vs. westbrook

but to answer the question. for me memphis has the better core

blackjack_119
02-12-2009, 07:17 AM
I think he was comparing each team's best players; second best; third etc.

blackjack_119
02-12-2009, 07:29 AM
OKC Core rivals that of Portland's.

OKC isn't even close to Portland.

I will say that Kevin Durant will put up better numbers than anyone on either team.

Portland, however, has far more depth, balance and overall talent.

Right now:
Brandon Roy = Kevin Durant (Roy is better now, but Durant is younger with higher upside)
Aldridge > Green Not really close. Green is a solid all around player whose natural position is SF and will likely be forced to play PF while with OKC.
Bayless < Westbrook Though Bayless looked better against him tonight (Most of Westbrook's gaudy stats came against Sergio Rodriguez)

After that, few of OKC's players have any type of a ceiling in the NBA while Portland has very high ceiling playing in Oden and Fernandez, and moderate upside players in Outlaw, Webster and Batum.

sturge
02-12-2009, 07:40 AM
OKC. They have a really good young 3, potential is huge for all of them.

Add to this draft picks, they own a good few, they will have a good one this year

Cap room as well. They will be playoff bound in a couple of years.

JJ81
02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Memphis